Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Decided to get a flu shot so drove halfway across town to Rite Aid so I could check out the $10 Welly diecasts while I was at it. I get there and they're "transitioning" to Walgreens and wouldn't let me in. So I left with no cool cheap new diecast and no flu shot. I was sick about it (or maybe will be). :angry:

A young lady in her boyfriends’ Honda crossed all lanes and hit my wife in the north left lane and totaled my wife’s Charger. The lady then hit a car in a parking lot. Why would you cross from a right south lane to make a left turn. My wife has been crying over her car and she is all bruised up. Thank God she is fine.

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Glad your wife is ok. People are just concerned where they want to go and don't give a you know what about others. I see it every day I go somewhere. I hope she was insured.

The car was insured but ours is taking care of it and going to collect it from their insurance! The girl did get a ticket. My wife wants a Charger so we will put a deposit down until it’s settled...

25 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

What irks me is all the things that I have experienced in my life a couple that came close to taking it and I'm still afraid of the dentist!!!

I have an appointment this afternoon (1st since about 1992) and it almost has me sick!LOL

I can totally relate to the "fear of dentists" Johnny.  As a young teenager I had a wisdom tooth pulled and all I could remember was excruciating pain.... back before the days of good numbing of your mouth...  I swore I'd never go back to a dentist.  Well, after about 40+ years, and missing and broken teeth, I eventually "bit the bullet" (pardon the pun) and had the few remaining teeth and pieces of teeth removed and now have full upper and lower dentures.  I can now eat whatever I want (corn, nuts, etc...) and I sometimes kick myself for not having done it sooner in life.  Yeah, having to use denture adhesive sometimes several times a day (especially for the lower dentures) can be a pain in the butt, but, I'll never have to go back to a dentist again?.  

Dentist, at least the ones I've been to in the last couple of decades have been good ones. I had to have braces starting with my adult teeth. Weekly tightening of the wires was excruciating. I had to eat soup for most of my high school years. I had to cover the braces on the cheek side with a wax material to keep from ripping up the inside of my mouth. That old joke about  a couple getting their braces tangled up while make out isn't funny, it hurts. I couldn't face a Dentist for years after that. Got to the point where the old fillings were turning into crowns. That didn't hurt as much as the braces. Had the wisdom teeth out in my fifties and they had great pain killers by then. I have one implant tooth now and just had one pulled to be replaced soon with another implant. The modern Dentistry has come a long way from the old days of torture that used to be Dentistry.  

Ford has a current ad on TV for the Explorer which starts out with Model T's rolling out of the factory and then a video glimpse of the 1966 Ford GT40MK II of Ken Miles at Le Mans.  What irks me is the clip of the GT40 is reversed with the #1 pointing backwards.  It should look like this on the left hand side.

1660351164_Ford_GT40MKII_1966_1_P1015_Miles-Hulme_blueside.jpg.5a2e0836ccf023f3a0d4430d96cccadf.jpg

Pardon me now, I have some rivets to go count. ?

1 hour ago, Ramfins59 said:

I can totally relate to the "fear of dentists" Johnny.  As a young teenager I had a wisdom tooth pulled and all I could remember was excruciating pain.... back before the days of good numbing of your mouth...  I swore I'd never go back to a dentist.  Well, after about 40+ years, and missing and broken teeth, I eventually "bit the bullet" (pardon the pun) and had the few remaining teeth and pieces of teeth removed and now have full upper and lower dentures.  I can now eat whatever I want (corn, nuts, etc...) and I sometimes kick myself for not having done it sooner in life.  Yeah, having to use denture adhesive sometimes several times a day (especially for the lower dentures) can be a pain in the butt, but, I'll never have to go back to a dentist again?.  

Told the wife they better get me right in as soon as I'm there or my flight response will kick in very quickly!LOL

Only have about 18 teeth left and most of them have problems. Seemed to run in the family.

Have 4 that have been broken off at the gum level two have gummed over!

They are not the ones that give me trouble though.

Think I may have a bigger issue as the couple days I was on amoxicillin before the rash made me quit a whole bunch of symptoms seemingly unrelated  I was dealing with for years seemed to be going away!

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Told the wife they better get me right in as soon as I'm there or my flight response will kick in very quickly!LOL

Only have about 18 teeth left and most of them have problems. Seemed to run in the family.

Have 4 that have been broken off at the gum level two have gummed over!

They are not the ones that give me trouble though.

Think I may have a bigger issue as the couple days I was on amoxicillin before the rash made me quit a whole bunch of symptoms seemingly unrelated  I was dealing with for years seemed to be going away!

You might ask if "gas" is an option. You'll wake up with a mouth full of cotton, but you don't have to listen to the noise when they're pulling your tooth.  The way you have described it your going to have to have some major work done. Being put under might be an option to think about.  

189 dollars poorer and nothing accomplished. Just a partial plan of repairing what is left of my teeth.

He will not pull good  or repairable teeth is his quote.

Next step if I take it is the one giving me fits and the two next to it, quote 598 dollars minimum for that round.

Three others will require going to his oral surgeon and three others he wants to possibly do caps.

Went to an independent dentist because the places like Aspen are all profit driven and try to sell yopu the most expensive plans they can.

Guess the independents aren't much better now.

You are probley right about profit driven, but about 7 years ago I like you went to the dentist and I too had about 9 teeth. That dentist told me the same thing about the cost of correcting my teeth. I could not afford the figure he was quoting me to fix my mouth. And he wanted the money up front, My boss at the time suggested that I try Aspen

I made an appointment and went to them. They gave me an X-Ray, showed me that the teeth that the Dentist wanted big money to save were rotting below the gum line. They said better to take them all out and go with dentures. They quoted me a price that was just a little over half of what the dentist wanted. With the savings I bought a second set of dentures and still was under the cost of the dentist. Aspen also has a very reasonably priced pay plan.

The only thing that really bothered me was that they took out all the old teeth at once. Then they gave me a prescription for pain, it helped but it took a few days for the pain to go away.

You also said something about going to an oral surgeon, that is going to be your major expense. a couple of years ago  the wife had to go to one to have a tooth pulled. The cost was 650.00 for the one tooth. Darn glad it was only one, any more would have put me in the poor house.

Why not go to Aspen see what they say, get a quote. You don't have to use them if you don't like what they say.You got nothing to lose but a little time, And the advertize a free X-Ray and so on your first visit. Could save you a little money.

My BMW 328i was parked in the yard at my friend Carl's workshop waiting for an engine management issue to be sorted. I got a call just now from him - the site was flooded out in last weeks storm Dennis and it along with sixteen other vehicles is looking like a write-off. 

It was a good car, had a manual gearbox and will be hard to replace for the money I can afford. 

His shop was flooded out too. Not sure yet how much if any will be covered by insurance.

9 hours ago, DonW said:

My BMW 328i was parked in the yard at my friend Carl's workshop waiting for an engine management issue to be sorted. I got a call just now from him - the site was flooded out in last weeks storm Dennis and it along with sixteen other vehicles is looking like a write-off. 

It was a good car, had a manual gearbox and will be hard to replace for the money I can afford. 

His shop was flooded out too. Not sure yet how much if any will be covered by insurance.

So many shops insurance don’t cover the cars but rely on the owners insurance to cover the loss...

On 2/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, slusher said:

A young lady in her boyfriends’ Honda crossed all lanes and hit my wife in the north left lane and totaled my wife’s Charger. The lady then hit a car in a parking lot. Why would you cross from a right south lane to make a left turn. My wife has been crying over her car and she is all bruised up. Thank God she is fine.

I hope that your wife is okay and cars can be fixed or replaced. A bit harder with humans though.

6 hours ago, slusher said:

So many shops insurance don’t cover the cars but rely on the owners insurance to cover the loss...

Yep. My wife's cousins have had a body shop for over 40 years. He said his insurance only covers cars inside the shop or on the outside only if damaged from fire that gets outside or if the building wall falls on them.

Everything else is on the owners insurance.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, slusher said:

Really glad your wife's OK. Scary stuff. We often forget how easily someone we care for could be gone in an instant.

On 2/24/2020 at 6:47 AM, DonW said:

Man, that sucks. I haven't lost one to flooding, but had a few uninsured losses from other causes. Hope you're adequately compensated. Any chance of retaining the salvage on it and cleaning her out? I've seen a few brought back over the years. A lot of work, but if you really love the car, it's possible.

24 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Man, that sucks. I haven't lost one to flooding, but had a few uninsured losses from other causes. Hope you're adequately compensated. Any chance of retaining the salvage on it and cleaning her out? I've seen a few brought back over the years. A lot of work, but if you really love the car, it's possible.

Thanks for the kind words, Bill

The car has already risen from the dead after I drove into an unmarked and unexpectedly deep 'puddle' a couple of years back and hydraulicked the engine, That time the water didn't get into the interior or the electrics (much), it was just the tidal wave slurping into the air intake, so we put in another engine from a breaker and she ran again. This time the car was in standing water up to the waistline. Sadly well beyond economic repair even though I'm notorious for keeping my BMWs going at all costs. At least I still have my 1995 530i touring (also a manual 'box) on the road!

So I have to move on. Hope to get some money for parts from it, my insurance is 3rd party only and doesn't cover floods.

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Yeah, and I'm 3rd party only. The garage owner (also called Carl ?) has some cover, and apparently his insurance company is assessing all the cars that were in the yard so we shall see.

Otherwise she's a breaker...

Hope your wife gets better soon, glad it wasn't so much worse...

Edited by DonW