Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 3/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, slusher said:

Could it be a thermostat?

The Compressor gets power but it will not turn on. By the time we got the final idea about the cost of replacing everything we were more than half way to a new Refrigerator. We have the Nebraska Furniture Mart just down the road. They delivered the new Refer. the next morning. Not as quiet as the old one but seems to have more useable space inside. Only $400 more than fixing the 10 year old one that died on us. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

The Compressor gets power but it will not turn on. By the time we got the final idea about the cost of replacing everything we were more than half way to a new Refrigerator. We have the Nebraska Furniture Mart just down the road. They delivered the new Refer. the next morning. Not as quiet as the old one but seems to have more useable space inside. Only $400 more than fixing the 10 year old one that died on us. 

A local small shop repair guy we have here I found to be a very honest guy with his customers.(and about 1/2 the cost of most others)

He will straight up suggest that they would be better served to buy a new unit if the repair cost would be too high.

Many ask if he can find used parts and he says he can but he will not do repairs with used parts other than on units he takes in and repairs to resell, then he gives a 100% 6 month warranty on his repaired appliances)

Some want their appliances fixed regardless which he says is ok if the unit is just a few years old but once they get past 8-10 they become a headache not just for him but the customer too when something else goes wrong and they assume it had something to do with what he fixed and it's not.

If the customer chooses not to get their appliance repaired he will offer to take it in lieu of the service call price.

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Friday I drove 8 hours to look at a car that looked to be in very nice shape and had been described as "perfect" by the salesman. 

When we were looking for a car we drove 2 hours to a dealer who advertised 3 Chrysler 300s. Called ahead and salesman said they had them. Got there and there wasn’t a single one on the lot. Salesman quickly tried to sell us other cars. Lied to get us there! 

24 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

A local small shop repair guy we have here I found to be a very honest guy with his customers.(and about 1/2 the cost of most others)

He will straight up suggest that they would be better served to buy a new unit if the repair cost would be too high.

Many ask if he can find used parts and he says he can but he will not do repairs with used parts other than on units he takes in and repairs to resell, then he gives a 100% 6 month warranty on his repaired appliances)

Some want their appliances fixed regardless which he says is ok if the unit is just a few years old but once they get past 8-10 they become a headache not just for him but the customer too when something else goes wrong and they assume it had something to do with what he fixed and it's not.

If the customer chooses not to get their appliance repaired he will offer to take it in lieu of the service call price.

This guy did offer us just such an option. My biggest surprise was at the appliance section when the sales lady said that we got 10 years out of the old one that was good. I have had just your basic old GE unit last me 20 years in the past. One thing that the service guy pointed out was that there is only 3 or 4 different companies making refrigerators under many different names. We did a lot of comparison shopping on line and in the pictures of the interior and shelving it was easy to see just how many of them looked the same.   

45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When we were looking for a car we drove 2 hours to a dealer who advertised 3 Chrysler 300s. Called ahead and salesman said they had them. Got there and there wasn’t a single one on the lot. Salesman quickly tried to sell us other cars. Lied to get us there! 

I had the same thing happen to me Tom. One of their many tricks.

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I think he thought after I drove that far sunk cost fallacy would kick in and I'd buy it even though it was worse than he let on. The thing is, it was practically the same car I've already got and he knew that. I have a pearl white 98 SC300 with a tan interior, the car was a black on black 98 SC400. The black interior is very rare in these cars and the 98+ 400s have a 5spd auto instead of the 4spd auto in mine, and the 400 is a v8 where mine is a straight six. My car has been maintained well and everything works though so why would I downgrade to a busted up car?

On 3/22/2020 at 7:49 AM, Fat Brian said:

Friday I drove 8 hours to look at a car that looked to be in very nice shape and had been described as "perfect" by the salesman. The first problem was a large spot of flaking paint on the bumper cover that had been carefully concealed in the pictures. As we're walking to the car he pipes up that the passenger door handle doesn't work and that the power antenna has been broken off. I decide to take it out to see if it drives better than it looks, it does not. The brakes are spongy, the rotors are warped, the transmission shifts are mushy, and theres an odd feeling of resistance while drive like all the tries are pointed in a slightly different direction. 

When I get back I tell the guy I'm not taking the car because he hid all the stuff wrong with it, he told me I was supposed to be able tell this stuff from the pictures and he wasn't responsible to tell me anything over the phone. He also keep the deposit I'd put on the car. If I was a younger man he'd be in the hospital right now.

That kind of crappola drives me nuts. Makes one long for a pocket EMP device. No collateral damage, but a nice payback for the cost and inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That kind of crappola drives me nuts. Makes one long for a pocket EMP device. No collateral damage, but a nice payback for the cost and inconvenience.

I've been looking into ways to make his life miserable today. I'm reporting him to every consumer advocacy group in Nashville and a local reporter who works the consumer fraud beat. There's no way I'm the only person he's done this to.

15 hours ago, Monty said:

AA1.jpg.e95f41540da58b88fff93dbe2cd808c6.jpg

Yea I hit Costco this past weekend when I heard we might be on shutdown.Got most of what I needed.Its quieter in my part of the world,but certainly not deserted.And yes although TP is definitely a real necessity,I haven’t had too much problem finding it.The stores that people might have better luck are the stores like CVS,Wallgreens,and any other pharmacies.Trust me,they are much less crowded,and they actually get items before some of the bigger stores.Just chill,watch some cool long old movies(Bullitt,Dog Day Afternoon,The God Father,parts 1,& 2,The 7Ups,The French Connection.I even caught myself watching the first two Smokey and the Bandit movies.Its been years since I’ve watched those)..DON’T sit and stare at the news all day,it will just make you feel worse)..Next I’m gonna roll my KTM motorcycle out from the garage where it’s been sitting since I bought it,three years ago,see if I can get it started..We will all get through this.Well as long as you have some beers and Xanax,no I’m just joking about that,but seriously,just remain calm.    

9 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

People who are asked nicely to cease potentially thread locking comments selfishly continue and get the thread locked.

Agree completely. (Now watch them come and post stuff that gets THIS thread locked. DOH!) :angry:

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Agree completely. (Now watch them come and post stuff that gets THIS thread locked. DOH!) :angry:

We can't let that happen here!!  Locking a thread that is 391 pages long!  Please, no! Where else would we be able to gripe? 

1 hour ago, peteski said:

We can't let that happen here!!  Locking a thread that is 391 pages long!  Please, no! Where else would we be able to gripe? 

At 391 pages long, maybe it is time to start a new thread anyway.  Nobody is going to read through all the old posts.?

Well it was just about 8:30 am by me in NY.I finally got to sleep at around 6ish,but wouldn’t you know it,I had to use the facilities,for lack of a better word,ok the “Head”.The bathroom..Thats when I notice a huge tree trimming crew pull up to my next door neighbors.They have been cutting and trimming trees all month to keep them from falling on the power lines.Ok,sounds smart,in theory,even though I cannot remember the last time we lost power due to a fallen tree or even a branch.All the power lines run behind the homes on my road..So I calmly put my shoes and coat on and walked outside to speak to the foreman.Well I’m told that not only are they trimming trees,they are cutting ALL of my neighbor’s trees down in his back yard.???????The foreman tells me the neighbor,who just moved in less than a year ago,requested that they get cut down.ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!,I say to myself.So I say it’s just after 8 am.The foreman tells me that his crew is trained to cut trees down around power lines.I stay calm,but inside I’m fuming.?.He actually says they are gonna be here all day and through the weekend.I said don’t you think it’s a bit early.Now I got the whole crew staring me down.I ask him again,don’t you think it’s too early to start this job now.He says it’s gonna be a lot of work.I turn around w/o saying a single word,and walk back in my house.Now I want to shoot something,anything,several times,but I do not own anymore fire arms.I can’t leave my house cause I have an 82 yo father,who just happens to be staying at his gf’s house since this Covid BS started.So I’m stuck here listening to the wonderful chimes of several chain saws-and guys yelling back and forth,going on.I will be having a nice little talk with my new neighbor later today.WHY are there other humans in this world,like my neighbor who seem to purposely go out of their way to make other people,like me and anyone else with in an ear shot of these chainsaws, miserable??????????..HOLY ———!!!!!And now I find out its the town doing the cutting.

FD0511C3-22CE-421F-A54B-806061CBB410.jpeg

34 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

WHY are there other humans in this world,like my neighbor who seem to purposely go out of their way to make other people,like me and anyone else with in an ear shot of these chainsaws, miserable?

Can't answer that particular question, but variations of it are everywhere.

I have a current neighbor who habitually ignores the county ban on outdoor garbage burning, and any burning at night. In warmer weather, I like my windows open while I sleep, and fairly often wake up to find the room full of noxious smoke from burning plastic (which is very definitely against the law here). I've repeatedly complained, both in person and in writing. Next time, I'm just calling the fire department. They issue a substantial fine for the first offense.

Another neighbor habitually ignores the 11:00 PM noise law. Thumping base rattling the walls until 3 or 4 AM on the weekends. Usually I can just sleep through it, but again, as I like my windows open and read in bed in warm weather, it can get annoying when I find myself reading the same sentence the 4th time 'cause I can't hear myself think.

Far as cutting trees goes, the home insurance company on my last place sent an inspector out after I'd been there 10 years with zero claims. He photographed the lot, house, and trees, then they demanded I cut down anything that could conceivably fall on the house in a 200 mph wind. I told 'em to get stuffed, found another insurance company who could grasp the concept that one of the main reasons I bought the dammed place was because it was nestled in among trees, shielded from the summer sun, and barely visible from the street.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have never had an issue with ANY of my neighbors,until now,when all new neighbors are moving in.Tons of dogs barking,nope never had that problem.Little kids whining ,nope never had that problem.And neighbors cutting down every single tree on my road,yup,again,never had that problem.Where are these people coming from?

This post isn't a complaint...it's simply a continuation of the conversation.

I just got an email notice from my power company that they'll be in the area trimming branches for the next few days. They typically do it in the fall and spring, and as this neighborhood is pretty heavily wooded, we occasionally lose power after even a light snow. They always work efficiently, quickly, and try to do it during hours when most people aren't home, never on weekends.

I lost the power here two winters back, when trees on my own lot came down and took out the lines to the house. I cleared the deadfalls myself, so when the power company got to me 3 days later, all they had to do was put the wires back up.

I've been lucky so far, I guess, as there are huge branches overhanging the house, but those trees are healthy. Two dead pines have come down since I've been here, dead so long all the branches had already fallen off. And I'm talking big trees, 50 feet tall, and 2 feet in diameter. Both times they missed anything of significant value...cars, the house and shed, etc...though one did smash my steel wheelbarrow flat and splinter the handles into kindling.

My old house in NJ had great trees that made the property a bit different than other development houses. I had also built multi tiered rock gardens across the front of the house and around the base of the largest tree.

I drove past the house a few years ago and my heart sank! Everything was gone! The numpty I sold it to had torn down all the trees and removed all the gardens. The lawn coverage was poor and he had a couple lawn chairs sitting in the dirt. Awful!

Ron, check your local noise ordnance for time limits on loud work.  I believe ours is 8am. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

...I drove past the house a few years ago and my heart sank! Everything was gone! The numpty I sold it to had torn down all the trees and removed all the gardens. The lawn coverage was poor and he had a couple lawn chairs sitting in the dirt. Awful!

Ron, check your local noise ordnance for time limits on loud work.  I believe ours is 8am. 

Yeah, the new owners of my last place cut down everything...including shrubs and pear, crabapple and plum trees, and all the berry bushes and vines, including the ivy. The place looks like a buzz-cut jarhead now (no disrespect to Marines, some of my favorite people).

But hey...everybody driving by can see how big the place is. I guess the look-at-me instinct is sometimes just too hard to overcome.

RE: NOISE   Our local ordinance allows construction or other noisy work to start at 06:00.

Could be some people don't enjoy yard maintenance especially racking leaves.  The tree trimming around power lines is understandable. I love trees, you could even call me a "tree hugger" and I would not he offended at all. But why people plant trees where they will obviously grow and interfere with power lines escapes my understanding. Clear cutting a stand of beautiful old growth trees is a sin in my mind. Beyond the beauty of the trees themselves and the birds that they support, just think about the purification of the very air we breath. The cooling benefits from the shade in the summers and the deflection of the winds around your home are just a bonus to the beauty that they bring to any setting. I would be in contact with the city officials that control things that home owners can and can't do with their property. I don't know that there is any rules concerning how many tree you can remove from your yard, but many cities do require that you have what they often call a "City Tree". This is usually a planting between your home and the street. Most cities realize the importance and benefits of having trees in and around a city.  Most cities consider a persons back yard to do with as they please even if includes alienating the neighborhood. I would be calling about the noise every time they are disturbing the peace. Maybe even an empty adult beverage container or two in their front yard wouldn't be out of the question, but then you become no better than them.