Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

6 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Had my suburban inspected during the yearly mandatory inspection here 2-3 weeks ago and have driven less then 2000km,s (1200miles) since then and for some reason i decided to check how the brakes looked like.
Mostly highwaymiles where the speedlimit is 120km/h (74mph) and i usually hold 130km/h (80mph something)
Here is the brakedisk on the driverside...
I am going to show it to them and ask how they could miss that since it is really easy to see but that passed, instead they failed me on 2 rusted bodymounts that are no danger at all it they just fall off.
But if this had exploded and locked up the wheel it would have sent me in the either the centerbarrier or oncomming traffic and at that speeds there is only one option for how it would have ended for me and the unlucky one that suddenly got  3500kg (7700lbs) of suburban aimed at them at 60-80mph...

This is the second dangerous thing they have missed on any of my vehicles..
On my Jeep ZJ they missed that the upper left controlarm/trackbarmount was damaged by rust, i found out when it broke when i hit a pothole..
IMG_20200624_110525.thumb.jpg.bdae1e2b6b752ac0440fe072a5b653d1.jpg
IMG_20200626_175306.thumb.jpg.3fdb46ade0db260fb47448c74cb48c83.jpg
IMG_20200626_175331.thumb.jpg.11f1a77e10ce28cfb3a7d7289201f20b.jpg
IMG_20200626_175256.thumb.jpg.6d99f9ebfad7864c1b393276445948a8.jpg

My bet is that the wheel was not removed when they checked the brakes. I've seen plenty of inspectors just shine a light through the wheel to see the rotor and thickness of the brake pads. They obviously cannot see the backside when they do this.

Or they only checked one side of the vehicle. How was the rotor on the other side?

5 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

I do.
Thats why i found it

Kinda hard to understand why that didn't grind to beat all hell, sounding like you were chewing rocks with a front wheel, every time you stepped on the brake pedal.

It has to have been crying for help for weeks to get that bad.

4 hours ago, espo said:

The Rotor is toast and I'll bet your Caliper is as well. I notice greater wear on one side of the Rotor than the other. I'm surprised you didn't hear the Pads rubbing on the Rotor. Besides the cracks and parts of the Rotor that are about to break off, the center cooling vanes are all but rusted away. You might even consider providing information on your experience with this facility to what ever department oversees their work. Would seem obvious that they either are not qualified for the job or they just take your money and may not even do an inspection. As you pointed out any of these problem could have lead to a very bad accident and even bodily harm to anyone in the vehicle. Safety is the reason for these inspections in the first place and if you can't rely on the inspectors this defeats the inter reason for having inspections.       

The caliper is still good and both of them are about a year old and when i replaced them the disc was not bad or to worn down.

3 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

My bet is that the wheel was not removed when they checked the brakes. I've seen plenty of inspectors just shine a light through the wheel to see the rotor and thickness of the brake pads. They obviously cannot see the backside when they do this.

Or they only checked one side of the vehicle. How was the rotor on the other side?

They never do here, they just check the brakes on a braketester to see if they are even and then a quick visual when they are under the vehicle and then maybee a quick glance when they are checking the wheelbearings.
The rotor on the other side was good, still well within the minimum thickness.
The friction material on the brakepad could have cracked and fell out so it was metal to metal after i had it inspected.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kinda hard to understand why that didn't grind to beat all hell, sounding like you were chewing rocks with a front wheel, every time you stepped on the brake pedal.

It has to have been crying for help for weeks to get that bad.

I would probalby have noticed the sound if it had not been having squealing noices ever since i replaced the calipers and pads.
Only thing i did noticed what that the brakepedal behaved like they do when the disc is warped.

Even now with new discs, pads and bearings it still have squeling noises when i step on the brakes.

I always hold off on replacing the brake pads until they're thin enough to see through. I avoid metal-to-metal though! My discs are in good shape. Brakes are important, as Homer Simpson may not have said. Weren't the squealing noises a clue that something needed looking at?

19 hours ago, Mark said:

Did you receive the items?  I too placed an order for PE parts with the same vendor.  This was exactly one week ago, and they arrived today.

As of today, basically one month since the order was placed, these have yet to show up.  Other sources seem to have them in stock again, so I'll just get them elsewhere. Just not from any place in Canada.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:51 AM, PierreR89 said:

I do.
Thats why i found it

But this worn brake rotor (and pads) should have been caught and replaced probably 3 inspections ago (either by you or the official inspector).  I doubt that rotor got this thin in one year.  I have never seen one so badly worn and rusted on an actively driven car.  It is also worin unevenly so it likely means that the caliper is  not "floating"properly and the inner pad is constantly dragging on the rotor (also decreasing your gas mileage).

Funny that those brakes made it through inspection. Here in Pennsylvania state inspection I’d done by licensed garages. Since they get to do and charge you for repairs, there is a big incentive to fail you for something!

I have to take my Hyundai in for inspection this month. The brakes are fine but have 50,000 highway miles on them so I’m expecting them to get flagged. Seems that if something is low enough that it won’t be good for the year they zap you.

21 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

The caliper is still good and both of them are about a year old and when i replaced them the disc was not bad or to worn down.

They never do here, they just check the brakes on a braketester to see if they are even and then a quick visual when they are under the vehicle and then maybee a quick glance when they are checking the wheelbearings.
The rotor on the other side was good, still well within the minimum thickness.
The friction material on the brakepad could have cracked and fell out so it was metal to metal after i had it inspected.

I would probalby have noticed the sound if it had not been having squealing noices ever since i replaced the calipers and pads.
Only thing i did noticed what that the brakepedal behaved like they do when the disc is warped.

Even now with new discs, pads and bearings it still have squeling noises when i step on the brakes.

The reason that I thought the Calipers are bad is based on the way that the Rotor is worn so much more on one side. This is normally a sign that the pads on one side are not being applied as much as the other. I noticed the amount of rust damage to the different areas on the suspension and other parts. The channels that the Calipers move on can become contaminated and not allow both sides to clamp the Rotor with the same force. This can cause the one side of the Rotor to be worn much faster. 

On 5/28/2020 at 2:55 PM, Snake45 said:

Having heard it about 800 times in the last two weeks, I'm Officially Sick Of GEICO's "Savage dance moves" radio commercial. 

Well they finally replaced it this week. The new one features a goldfish singing opera. It was funny exactly ONCE. 

It's almost as bad as that Progressive one where that "Jamie" guy (?) leaves himself a phone message about his "Mad Harmonies" acapppella group. That annoying piece of dung has been playing regularly for four or five years now, though not three times an hour like the GEICO one. :angry:

43 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’m just glad that the Alphonso commercials seem to have run their course.. and that AT&T  brought back Lily!

Looks like they even took Alphonso off Youtube...all you can see of him now is a hand-held home video copy of the thing. And now that you mention it, he was MIA for most of "pride month," too! :blink:

Got rear ended going to a cookout yesterday , :o , slowing to turn in and a young fella , 16 , behind us poked the right rear corner with his Forerunner . Got the tail light assembly , the bumper cover , the bar behind it and pushed the quarter just enough to bow it out maybe 1/2" and move the deck lid to the drivers side and jam it and that's just what I can see . Now for the dance with the insurance company , although Geico has been easy to deal with in the past when we were the customer and have already contacted me about an estimate , here's hoping they will be again .

7 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Got rear ended going to a cookout yesterday , :o , slowing to turn in and a young fella , 16 , behind us poked the right rear corner with his Forerunner . Got the tail light assembly , the bumper cover , the bar behind it and pushed the quarter just enough to bow it out maybe 1/2" and move the deck lid to the drivers side and jam it and that's just what I can see . Now for the dance with the insurance company , although Geico has been easy to deal with in the past when we were the customer and have already contacted me about an estimate , here's hoping they will be again .

Something to consider especially since your not at fault. There will come a day when you will be selling or trading in this car. This type of damage will show up on a Car Fax Report and legally must be disclosed by you. This will effect the value of your car at that time. We just went thru this a couple of years ago while trading our '10 Charger for an "18 model Charger. You might want to try for additional compensation in addition to the repairs on your car. 

7 hours ago, oldnslow said:

...Geico has been easy to deal with in the past when we were the customer and have already contacted me about an estimate , here's hoping they will be again .

Friendamine's '96 Miata he bought new and has maintained meticulously since was hit while parked by a brain-dead texting beeyotch a few days back. Car's still drivable, needs a fender, bumper cover, a little work on the hood, a headlamp assembly, and maybe a light pull on a rail. Natcherly, it's gone to "economic total" and they don't want to pay him diddly for the car.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow prior to getting in a pizzing match with the other party's insurer to pump the payout as high as we can and still keep the thing.

Shame he wasn't insured under one of the stated-value/10,000 mile/year  policies available now from special-interest insurers.

We had our 2000 Jaguar S about a year when a lady hit it, not stopping at a four way stop.  The car was 10 years old and mileage was in the 20s, a beautiful car. 

Being at 10 year old car that we paid $10,000 for, we didn’t have collision and shouldn’t have had to in that situation. I forget now who was her insurance company but they were vicious and refused to settle.  $10,000 car with $5000 damage... they wanted to pay me $5000 and take the car!  No compromise, no payment without taking the car. They pretty much said sue us!  

Talking with friends in the industry, they said some companies were making a profit center out of the damaged cars. They knew they could sell my car for more than they offered me!

And my question for the day... anyone know if Sears still does lifetime warranty on power tools?

My ancient 1/3 sheet sander gave up the ghost last week and my sawzall just caught fire!  I know that one’s over 20 years old. That one is marked “Industrial Reciprocating Saw”.   

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

And my question for the day... anyone know if Sears still does lifetime warranty on power tools?

My ancient 1/3 sheet sander gave up the ghost last week and my sawzall just caught fire!  I know that one’s over 20 years old. That one is marked “Industrial Reciprocating Saw”.   

Sears?  Are they even still around?  I thought that they (and K-Mart) went bankrupt.  Plus I seem to recall that the Craftsman brand was sold to another company.

Sears is still "around", though they have way fewer stores now.  As of January of this year, there are none in my area.  I couldn't tell you where the nearest one to me is. 

As for the warranty, since Sears has sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley, you'd have to check with them to see if they are still honoring any of the old warranties.  Even before the sale, I've heard about Sears cheaping out and giving out cheap "rebuild kits" for things like ratchet wrenches instead of exchanging the item as they used to do.

46 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I remember Sears...haven't been in one in at least a decade. I remember my Dad liked Sears, esp. for the tools.  Seems long ago and far away.

I haven’t waisted my time with Sears Craftsman  since they started limiting their exchange policy on certain power tools before they sold the brand. I’ve found Harbor Freight will exchange tools no questions asked like Sears did years ago! Yeah, I know, “cheap China made carp! Only name brand ‘murican made for me!” Well, in my opinion they have improved a lot and you’d be surprised by the quality most of their tools have. But, if you’re a professional and use your tools daily, then fine go for it! But for the price and the limited use these tools are gonna get around my house, it’s not worth having expensive ones lounging around my garage till the next time I need it. By the way, it’s sometimes been cheaper to buy a power tool from the Freight than rent it too!