Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

New car dealers repair shops. One of our female friends bought a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson towards the end of that year. Shortly after she purchased it she started to have a pretty serious problem. The vehicle just will hesitate quite awhile when she tries to take off from a stop. And when it does move it takes several seconds till it has full power. She has been back to the dealer and has just got the same BS they seem to always say. We can't get it to duplicate that condition. Oh, The transmission is supposed to work like that. She is now afraid to even drive the darn thing. Looking on line that seems to be a problem a lot of folks are having with different years of this vehicle. I suspect it is a problem with the 7 speed dual clutch transmission but don't know enough to honesty know.  A search for a fix did not give any results.  Maybe they are waiting for her warrantee to expire ?  She would love to trade it but is pretty upside down. 

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

New car dealers repair shops. One of our female friends bought a brand new 2017 Hyundai Tucson towards the end of that year. Shortly after she purchased it she started to have a pretty serious problem. The vehicle just will hesitate quite awhile when she tries to take off from a stop. And when it does move it takes several seconds till it has full power. She has been back to the dealer and has just got the same BS they seem to always say. We can't get it to duplicate that condition. Oh, The transmission is supposed to work like that. She is now afraid to even drive the darn thing. Looking on line that seems to be a problem a lot of folks are having with different years of this vehicle. I suspect it is a problem with the 7 speed dual clutch transmission but don't know enough to honesty know.  A search for a fix did not give any results.  Maybe they are waiting for her warrantee to expire ?  She would love to trade it but is pretty upside down. 

If it was mine it would get traded. Some dealerships are not good for nothing. There done with you after the sale...

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Have your friend look in the back of her owner's manual and find the Hyundai Customer Service phone number. Should Hyundai really not know that there is a customer issue they should be made aware of it. Start a log book of the times that the dealer had it in the shop, and save all the paper work from those visits. Be sure that she stresses to Hyundai the unsafe operating condition and that she has a fear of driving the car. Hopefully this will get someone's attention in their Service Department. If she gets stone walled by Hyundai there are Federal Agencies that can be notified, and the notes she has saved will help illustrate her problem. One question that I would have about her car is as to whether or not she has the Stop/Start feature where the engine shuts off when stopped and then restarts when you take your foot off the gas. I got stuck with a loaner once with this feature, not a Hyundai, and for me this feature would make the car sale proof.  

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

I was an arbitrator at one of the largest wholesale auto auctions in the midwest. I cant even count the number of newer Hyundai's we sent to franchise dealerships to verify issues. 9/10 times their answer was ALWAYS "the car is operating as it should".... Oh, it's supposed to sound like a sewing machine and move like a slug? Copy that.... I hope your friend has luck with customer service but I'm skeptical. I have zero respect for that brand.

Research shows there are many, many

Research shows that this problem is widespread within this vehicle and for several years. There was a recall but for only 2016 year Tucson's ?  A few have had transmissions replaced and 3 months later the same problem returned. I wish she would have done some research before buying something "cute" .

Reasearch

One of the main reasons I suggested keeping a log of any interaction with the dealer or the manufacture is you're building a verifiable record of her problems. Without going to the expense of an attorney the next step would be to go on her states web sight and look up 1. The Attorney Generals Office 2. Any Consumer Protection sight they may offer. Since this is sounding like a common problem and depending on her state's laws for consumers there is a possibility she would have grounds to force Hyundai to buy back her car if it has a safety problem that they are unable to repair. 

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

try contacting mazda dealers, they are remaking a lot of parts to restore them now

Yes...the only people who seem to have what I need new are dealers, but so far all I've found for this stuff is NOS.

And I just got an e-mail that my order can't be filled due to "website problems".

17 hours ago, cobraman said:

Does this article describe your friend's problem?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/tucson/2017/2017-hyundai-tucson-limited-review-long-term-update-4/

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes...the only people who seem to have what I need new are dealers, but so far all I've found for this stuff is NOS.

And I just got an e-mail that my order can't be filled due to "website problems".

It might be worth trying the guys from that japanese classic show that was on, if i remember right they order parts from japan and with the popularity of the mx5/eunos they may have what you need in stock

Another irk . I used the 25.00 ebay coupon to buy a part for something we don’t talk about here and the supplier today said that part will not fit my item after saying it did . That’s ok but I got a refund but I can not find a way to use the coupon since I used it once but did not get any Benefit from it . Oh well , only 25 bucks . 

24 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Would the Lemon law be appropriate?

Not sure about how that may work out here or if she has thought about it. I will mention it to her. Third new car in a row that was no darn good. Lost her you know what each time she traded. Way upside down now I suspect. She bought a new Dart when the new ones came out a few years ago and that had many problems that the dealer could not/would not fix. Traded it for a new Kia Optima a couple years later and that car would stall out in the worst possible places. After a couple years she bought this Tucson. And the saga continues.

If the Tuscon is the 1.6L Turbo, it has the DCT. If it is a lower trim model with the 2.0L NA, it is a 7AT. Hyundai has a couple of service bulletins out on the 2016-2017 Tuscon DCT that call for firmware updates. If they apply to her car, and the dealer has not done them, they need to be b-slapped. This may be all it needs. PM me with an email addy and I will send you copies of the bulletins. Again, her car may already have the updates, but it's worth exploring IMHO.

The Hyundais and Kias that randomly stalled like the Optima are among the cars that were found to have crankshaft machining issues. These are also among the cars that stall and then catch fire. Friend's Sorento had stalling issues and the dealership replaced the engine. About four months later it stalled on the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge on the way to the SF airport. Pic is actually his Sorento burning, it made the SF local NBC news that day. He didn't make it to the airport on time to pick up his spouse. They now have an Infiniti.

As far as dealership horror stories go, a friend's mom also bought a new Dart in 2013. She got the Limited, which came with the 1.4L Turbo Fiat engine and a DCT. Lots of issues from the beginning, but not with the DCT. None of the FCA dealers around here can seem to fix anything until the third or fourth service visit. She moved to central Oregon a while back, and had transmission issues this spring. Dealership fixed it under warranty, but she didn't get three miles after picking it up when she got a Christmas tree of dash warning lights. Limped it back in. Dealership's diagnosis was several "hardened" wiring harnesses that were no longer available from FCA.  I looked at my friend and asked, "You mean the wiring harnesses that held up the engine while the transmission was out because they didn't bother to correctly support the engine?" "Yup, that is what I was thinking too" was his answer. She is driving a Camry now.

Edited by Rodent

Oddly, I just traded my 2017 KIA Sorento in June. The lease was going to be up in August, but I was feeling a compulsion to trade the thing in right now. I had had it pull a funny trick on me, where, when taking off from a stoplight, it would not rev up, or move, even with the gas Pedal pushed. It would just sit there, kind of dead, and then suddenly Accelerate and Move. The hesitation was only a couple seconds each time, and I could not get it to act up on cue. I knew that if I could not reproduce it, the dealership would just ignore my complaints.

Then in late May, or early June, I read about KIA having some issues with acceleration on some Sorentos. I was spooked. I got out of my lease 3 months early, and bought a used 2014 Toyota Sienna Mini-van. Now, I can drive as much as I want, and I'll own the blasted thing in 5 years. No more Leased Cars for me.

In a parking lot yesterday when a guy is walking toward me looking at his phone and "thumbing". I stopped and he kept walking toward me and I realized he was about to run into the front of my car so I honked. That woke him up. He was just a few feet away. How would that have played out if he injured himself?

Hi all, I am more than irked. I bought the new Grump's Vega on ebay,using the $25 coupon. So far so good. I have been tracking it. It said Sat morn."out for delivery.. I checked back about 6pm and it said delivery attempted-no access to delivery location. WHAT !! I live in a single family home on an asphalt road with driveway and sidewalk leading to front porch.

I just think he wanted to start holiday .

Our regular mail person took a leave of absence due to wife being pregnant. Ever since then service has been terrible. I spoke to postmaster before and it continues.

??

Found out my 70 year old sister has covid!

Three weeks ago the nursing home she is stuck in (by the state) had their first case in a resident.

They tested all the staff and found 1 that was positive and after an hour of tap dancing around he admitted his mom whom the 45 year old is still living with has active covid-19 and has had for over a month and was in the hospital now!

The home went from 0 positive a month ago to now 107 positive cases and 5 deaths.

For the last few days UPS had a delivery scheduled for me on Sunday the 6th. Sunday seemed a bit odd to me but saw a FedEx truck in my neighborhood yesterday so why not UPS? Even showed out for delivery from Portland Sunday. Nope. Today shows no info. WTF? Today being a holiday I expect nothing. Sometimes I don't understand the tracking system and it seems they all are guilty of this type of thing at one time or another.