Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Got an e-mail today from FedEx that my package was delivered....on August 21st!

Um NO!  I already contacted the seller and they issued the credit as it was showing 'pending' on FedEx tracker for ten days.  The seller was only a four hour drive from my house!!  

Tracker shows it was delivered at the front door.  It may have been (at least not my front door) but it went missing for almost three weeks so hopefully someone else enjoys it

Edited by HomerS

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I hope you get them someday !

Thanks Ray. I hope so too.

In the interim, I took on a "quickie" project to fill the time while I'm waiting for stuff to finish up the '66 Chevelle build, stuff that used to be readily available.

Since mid August, I've ordered the same structural sheetmetal Mazda part from 4 online suppliers who gladly took my money, and then sent me an e-mail cancelling the order due to "website difficulties" or "no longer available from the manufacturer" or "back-ordered indefinitely". I guess all these clowns use the same source, and nobody bothers to update the websites when a part becomes unavailable.

I just got off the phone with an actual human who said the OEM does in fact have 7 of the things in the US warehouse, and she can get me one in about a week or so. We'll see.

Sure am glad I'm getting out of doing this for a living. Between Covid, creeping dumber-every-day, and general widespread incompetence, I no longer have the patience.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Since mid August, I've ordered the same structural sheetmetal Mazda part from 4 online suppliers who gladly took my money, and then sent me an e-mail cancelling the order due to "website difficulties" or "no longer available from the manufacturer" or "back-ordered indefinitely". I guess all these clowns use the same source, and nobody bothers to update the websites when a part becomes unavailable.

Drop shippers!  EBay especially is full of them. 

Lowe’s again has ticked me off.  I finally got satisfaction with the two month delivery of the dishwasher and got the interest refunded since they billed me the day I ordered it.

Today?  My reciprocal saw died a few weeks ago in a big moment! It actually shot out flames ?!   So with my birthday coming up my wife told my daughters to get me Lowe’s gift cards so I could buy a new saw.   

Well this afternoon I made that trip. Prices are pretty much even between Lowe’s and Home Depot. I shop at lowest because you get 5% off as a card holder. 

The saw was $89. I handed over my two gift cards and then my Lowe’s Card for the balance. It didn’t give me the discount off the entire purchase price, just on the few dollars that wound up on the card! Cashier sent me to Customer Disservice and the dullard there did no better. So I’m left to file a complaint to get me $4 back!

Realized that I had a chunk of cash I won't be needing for a while, so I asked at my bank about a certificate of deposit. They told me the current interest rate is one third of one percent! :blink::angry: I'be be better off investing in ammo, assuming I could find any to buy. :lol:

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

They told me the current interest rate is one third of one percent! :blink:

I remember in the '80s it was around 15% at my (then) bank. In those days, it was entirely possible to live comfortably on the interest if your principal was reasonable. Even back in '95, the return on my CDs was running around 10%. But they've been in the toilet since the recession. There are, however, mutual funds returning in the 30%-40% range.

Caution is advised however. One reason I'm still working long past retirement age is trying to make up some losses from not pulling out in time.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Realized that I had a chunk of cash I won't be needing for a while, so I asked at my bank about a certificate of deposit. They told me the current interest rate is one third of one percent! :blink::angry: I'be be better off investing in ammo, assuming I could find any to buy. :lol:

Gun shops around here seem to have ammo but the catch is you have to buy a gun. They have ammo saved under the counter. No one wants to buy a gun if they can't get ammo so they hold it in reserve for that . It makes the ammo pretty expensive. ?

Early this morning I hear a backup alarm out front.  I look out a few min. later and the city was out there to patch up the pavement  where they replaced a water valve a couple months ago.   This is a roughly 4X4 ft.  patch.  They showed up with 5 tandem axle dump trucks, a backhoe, a skid steer and a steam roller, and 12 guys.  2 guys actually working, 5 watching the 2 work, the other 5 standing at the corner visiting.  Really?  I mean a million dollars worth of machinery and 12 guys to patch a tiny spot.   And they're bellyachin' about a budget shortfall.

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

Gun shops around here seem to have ammo but the catch is you have to buy a gun. They have ammo saved under the counter. No one wants to buy a gun if they can't get ammo so they hold it in reserve for that . It makes the ammo pretty expensive. ?

That's a pretty clever policy. There have been a LOT of new/first-time gun buyers in the last few months. You're right, if you weren't already in the game, why would you buy a game if you couldn't get ammo for it. 

My son called last week wanting to buy some .22 ammo from me. He told me the cheapest he could find was almost 10x as much as the stuff I bought not THAT many years ago. :blink:

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Some Walmart’s have stopped selling guns so mine has a 2 limit on ammo,, that reminds me I need some 12 gauge shoot gun shells..

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's why I keep my savings in an old sock lol.?

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Some Walmart’s have stopped selling guns so mine has a 2 limit on ammo,, that reminds me I need some 12 gauge shoot gun shells..

Checked my Walmart for ammo this morning. Lots of shotgun hunting ammo, a good deal of rifle hunting ammo, no .22s, very little if any handgun ammo of any kind, no 5.56 or 7.62. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Just out of curiosity how long does anyone think Ammo is good if stored in a dry mid 70's environment ?? I'm asking for a friend you understand.    

Indefinitely. I've shot a good deal of ammo from WWII. I've also shot both .22s and handloads I reloaded in the '80s that have sat in my my NON-temperature controlled garage since the early '90s and it's all fine. And some of that .22 ammo was bought in the mid-'70s.