Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On Facebook I had to snooze a close relative of mine. I can no longer tolerate his enraged, sometimes vile posts day after day.

This man knew my late father before I was born. He also has a treasure trove of family photos/films that I have not seen. I'm irked that my link to those mementos is cut off out of necessity.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting...The Lovely Mrs. Snake got an ad from Jockey in the mail yesterday, with a coupon of some sort in it. I'll tell her what poor delivery service they have. Thanks for the heads-up! 

I think the poor service on the shipping was because of the USPO. As I mentioned I don't think anyone is home in their so called Customer Service Line.  

One of many things that irks me almost daily, at least at work is just how terrible GM is.

I know the above statement is likely to draw fire from the life-long GM vehicle owners, but its true. . . Since I've worked at a GM dealership, I've been astounded on an almost routine basis for how terrible the company is once you've signed your name on a contract to purchase a vehicle. Constant parade of parts on back order, many of which, in my view (and with my education) should never, ever in a million years EVER be back-ordered. I mean, we're talking about air filters, transmission filters, fuel filters, at various points have all become unavailable to us. . . Things that are fairly routine, like fuel injectors, regularly out and unavailable.

The supply chain issue leads me to another routine "irk" : certain customers that get all pissy with us in the parts department, as if its our fault that they made the mistake of buying the vehicle they did. . . The worst are Denali owners. . . Number 1 issue, they don't drive a Sierra, Tahoe, Canyon, or Acadia, which is moderately useful in looking things up, no, they drive a Denali. . . which is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH well useless. It would be like me walking in to a Ford dealership and saying, "I need X for my Limited". . . Number 2 issue, is these idiots who think the statement "I bought an $80,000 truck, blah blah blah". . . Yeah, I'm not sorry you overpaid for a pile of junk vehicle that is constantly in my shop. You don't want to be complaining to me all the time? Buy a Toyota.  And, with the Denali owners, holy mother of god are they some of the CHEAPEST a-holes on the planet. . . A clip which costs 10 bucks at my parts counter to do solve a problem they can fix themselves, and they want to negotiate prices!! Sorry, if you want to haggle, the sales floor is upstairs. My prices are set.

Sorry. . . . its just that in this business, and in this company, its a nonstop barrage of BS, and it kinda builds up overtime.

25 minutes ago, Ensis Ferrae said:

One of many things that irks me almost daily, at least at work is just how terrible GM is.

I know the above statement is likely to draw fire from the life-long GM vehicle owners, but its true. . . Since I've worked at a GM dealership, I've been astounded on an almost routine basis for how terrible the company is once you've signed your name on a contract to purchase a vehicle. Constant parade of parts on back order, many of which, in my view (and with my education) should never, ever in a million years EVER be back-ordered. I mean, we're talking about air filters, transmission filters, fuel filters, at various points have all become unavailable to us. . . Things that are fairly routine, like fuel injectors, regularly out and unavailable.

The supply chain issue leads me to another routine "irk" : certain customers that get all pissy with us in the parts department, as if its our fault that they made the mistake of buying the vehicle they did. . . The worst are Denali owners. . . Number 1 issue, they don't drive a Sierra, Tahoe, Canyon, or Acadia, which is moderately useful in looking things up, no, they drive a Denali. . . which is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH well useless. It would be like me walking in to a Ford dealership and saying, "I need X for my Limited". . . Number 2 issue, is these idiots who think the statement "I bought an $80,000 truck, blah blah blah". . . Yeah, I'm not sorry you overpaid for a pile of junk vehicle that is constantly in my shop. You don't want to be complaining to me all the time? Buy a Toyota.  And, with the Denali owners, holy mother of god are they some of the CHEAPEST a-holes on the planet. . . A clip which costs 10 bucks at my parts counter to do solve a problem they can fix themselves, and they want to negotiate prices!! Sorry, if you want to haggle, the sales floor is upstairs. My prices are set.

Sorry. . . . its just that in this business, and in this company, its a nonstop barrage of BS, and it kinda builds up overtime.

You should seriously go work for a Toyota dealer then !!

1 hour ago, Ctmodeler said:

You should seriously go work for a Toyota dealer then !!

Lol. . . I happen to drive a Toyota, and called over for some rando non-essential stuff for the wife's car. Apparently I got the parts manager on the phone, who told me the same thing (only he just filled the jobs 2 weeks ago). . . .

But really, when I change jobs it will be out of industry, into something more in line with my MBA skills than slinging parts. The job I'm at now, I'm there because I was in a spot after school where GI bill had run out, so I needed one of those "anything will pay the bills" kinds of jobs, and the service/parts managers were willing to work with me.

Travis's story is why I have not ever looked at a GM Vehicle, in the last 25 years. When I traded my KIA in June, I had called the local Chevy Dealer about a Ford Flex they had on their Used Car lot. The Sales person would not stop calling me, until I drove over in my new (used) Toyota Sienna, to prove that I really had bought a car someplace else. 

As a Parts Dept Assistant Mgr in the 1990's I had plenty of Interaction with the local GM dealers, getting parts for my dealerships used cars. Always excuses on why the stuff we ordered was never in stock. My Dad, is a died-in-the-wool Chevy Man. After my Automotive Industry Experience, I never will be.

After seeing some of the krap that my Mom put up with dealing with GM dealers with three cars (all bought new), I made up my mind that I wasn't going to own a GM product unless they made miraculous improvements.  After 40 years, in which I have owned six vehicles (four of them bought new), I haven't owned one.  I did look at several of their products over the years, so it's not like I slammed the door on them entirely.  Of the ones I did have, I can't go back to AMC, and after two trucks I have given up on Chrysler.  There are still a number of automakers that I'd have to burn through before thinking about GM again, and I don't anticipate buying or leasing too many more vehicles in the coming years.

I work for a national auto parts chain (I don't dare say which one for fear of retaliation) and we routinely get customers who don't even know what brand of vehicle they drive much less the trim level. Also don't know which engine they have. Usually it's a female under forty but some young men as well. How can you not know what kind of vehicle it is when it is badged right in the center of the steering wheel??

Edited by oldscool

I have sent some parts to another member, USPS receipt shows estimated delivery date "Sat 10/03/2020".  Just checked the tracking number and it shows "Delayed, late delivery".  When I went to the tracking history I see it left my home post office and went to the Greensboro, NC distribution center and that seems to be as far as it has got.  What really irks me about this, other than the late delivery of the parts, is that I did a trade just a couple weeks ago and the package got held up at the Greensboro, NC distribution center.  I live less than 50 miles from that facility, yet it took five days for the package to make it to my post office.  My part of the trade went out and made it a day earlier than the due date.  Seems to me someone needs to do some rectal-kicking at the Greensboro facility.

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have sent some parts to another member, USPS receipt shows estimated delivery date "Sat 10/03/2020".  Just checked the tracking number and it shows "Delayed, late delivery".  When I went to the tracking history I see it left my home post office and went to the Greensboro, NC distribution center and that seems to be as far as it has got.  What really irks me about this, other than the late delivery of the parts, is that I did a trade just a couple weeks ago and the package got held up at the Greensboro, NC distribution center.  I live less than 50 miles from that facility, yet it took five days for the package to make it to my post office.  My part of the trade went out and made it a day earlier than the due date.  Seems to me someone needs to do some rectal-kicking at the Greensboro facility.

Wanna hear bad ? I traded with Dale gribble and sent him a 1/12 scale model. A big one. It was "lost" in new jersey for like 2 weeks and literally took a month to make it there.

3 hours ago, oldscool said:

I work for a national auto parts chain (I don't dare say which one for fear of retaliation) and we routinely get customers who don't even know what brand of vehicle they drive much less the trim level. Also don't know which engine they have. Usually it's a female under forty but some young men as well. How can you not know what kind of vehicle it is when it is badged right in the center of the steering wheel??

The California Park Rangers used to have a website where they vented about stupid park visitors.  This included hikers who demanded an emergency rescue helicopter pick them up because they were "tired," etc.

But by far, their biggest number of rescues involved people in SUV's.  The tourists drove them into dry washes and deep gullies no vehicle could climb out of. 

The Rangers said they heard the same two things over and over:  (1) "In the TV commercials, this SUV can go anywhere."  (2) "My SUV is only 2-wheel drive?  Really?  I sure thought it was 4-wheel drive."

The Rangers said they created a new call sign for these incidents: "TNS"  That stood for "Thwarting Natural Selection."

5 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The California Park Rangers used to have a website where they vented about stupid park visitors.  This included hikers who demanded an emergency rescue helicopter pick them up because they were "tired," etc.

But by far, their biggest number of rescues involved people in SUV's.  The tourists drove them into dry washes and deep gullies no vehicle could climb out of. 

The Rangers said they heard the same two things over and over:  (1) "In the TV commercials, this SUV can go anywhere."  (2) "My SUV is only 2-wheel drive?  Really?  I sure thought it was 4-wheel drive."

The Rangers said they created a new call sign for these incidents: "TNS"  That stood for "Thwarting Natural Selection."

I'd suggest dragging out the vehicle and getting rid of it humanly so as not to pollute or otherwise mess up the environment. Drop a food parcel to the idiots who stuck it there and leave them to it. And if they make it back home, invoice them for all costs.

On second thoughts, forget the food parcel.

Edited by DonW

9 hours ago, oldscool said:

.How can you not know what kind of vehicle it is when it is badged right in the center of the steering wheel??

My wife’s brothers! They can give you any sports stat but cannot tell you what kind of car they drive!

Her eldest brother told me he bought his daughter a car. I asked what kind? And he had to hang up to go outside to look. He rings me back. “It’s a Ford!”   So I ask him what model and he groans. That was another trip outside!

7 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Reminds me of one from my own deputy sheriff days: "NHI shooting" incident. NHI meant "No Humans Involved." (I.e., shootings among motorcycle gang members and the like.) :lol:

15 hours ago, oldscool said:

As much as we are in our cars it’s strange for a guy not to know...

Once again the local police closed down another large car show this morning.Nobody comes in,and we all had to leave.But it took about three plus hours for all the cars to clear out.Nobody was really rushing to leave.But that’s it for that place.Ah pretty soon show season will be over here in the North East.

Edited by NYLIBUD

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Any male of the species who doesn't know what make of car he owns/leases needs to tear up his Man Card, immediately and on the spot.

That's the way I feel about any male who doesn't carry some kind of pocketknife. How on Earth can you expect to get through your day without a pocketknife? 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's the way I feel about any male who doesn't carry some kind of pocketknife. How on Earth can you expect to get through your day without a pocketknife? 

The guys I work with carry some fairly menacing knives for retail workers but then again we are in Florida.LOL

10 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Once again the local police closed down another large car show this morning.Nobody comes in,and we all had to leave.But it took about three plus hours for all the cars to clear out.Nobody was really rushing to leave.But that’s it for that place.Ah pretty soon show season will be over here in the North East.

I know everyone is tired of the Covid-19 rules and life style but it’s the only way to slow the it down...