Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

One of my all-time favorite bone-head criminal stories (yep, "Stupid Criminal Tricks" Sweepstakes Winner) was the idiot back in the 80's who got the great idea to rob a bank in Washington, DC . . . during lunch hour . . . on federal payday. 

He produced his "gat" and demanded all the teller's money, then heard a cacophony of 'clicks' as more than a dozen FBI agents and ATF agents waiting in line to cash/deposit their paychecks drew down on him.

He didn't get any money. Maybe not the best 'big heist planning' ever. 

?

On a very, very minor scale, I stopped on the way home from work at the local pizzeria to pick up a fresh pie for Monday night Football. Idiot ahead of me pulls a butcher knife and tries to stick-up the counter guy.  The counter guy looks past the career criminal and sees me; recognizes me; and starts laughing.

Davey Crockett gets upset and tells him to quit laughing and give him the money. Just then I tapped him on the back of his head with the barrel of my .357 Magnum and held out my handcuffs.

I told him to put the knife down on the counter so he could put the handcuffs on himself. Self-service, you know.  Called a patrol unit in to take the bad guy to the iron bar hotel, grabbed my pie, and made it home in time for kick-off.

?

5 hours ago, Danno said:

One of my all-time favorite bone-head criminal stories (yep, "Stupid Criminal Tricks" Sweepstakes Winner) was the idiot back in the 80's who got the great idea to rob a bank in Washington, DC . . . during lunch hour . . . on federal payday. 

He produced his "gat" and demanded all the teller's money, then heard a cacophony of 'clicks' as more than a dozen FBI agents and ATF agents waiting in line to cash/deposit their paychecks drew down on him.

?

On a very, very minor scale, I stopped on the way home from work at the local pizzeria to pick up a fresh pie for Monday night Football. Idiot ahead of me pulls a butcher knife and tries to stick-up the counter guy.  The counter guy looks past the career criminal and sees me; recognizes me; and starts laughing.

Davey Crockett gets upset and tells him to quit laughing and give him the money. Just then I tapped him on the back of his head with the barrel of my .357 Magnum and held out my handcuffs.

I told him to put the knife down on the counter so he could put the handcuffs on himself. Self-service, you know.  Called a patrol unit in to take the bad guy to the iron bar hotel, grabbed my pie, and made it home in time for kick-off.

?

Two great stories Danno!

14 hours ago, Danno said:

?

?

Just goes to show you can't fix stupid .  I'm still laughing on both counts. 

I’m pretty sure I just heard a mouse in the house. I was just sitting in my recliner watching TV, minding my own business, when I heard this strange squeaking from the other room. Did some research, and yep, it was a mouse. Oh well, that’s what cats are for, right? ?

I had a Mouse last spring. One night I’m sitting in family room and thought I saw something run across the foyer. Wrote it off.

Next evening he was galloping around the family room and hiding behind the wall unit. I put a small bit of cheese right outside where he was hiding. He grabbed it. Right before I went up to bed I did same, only this time in a trap.  I don’t think I got to the top of the stairs before I heard the thwack!

I called up the publisher of JP Jeep magazine today.I was told that officially,the magazine was in fact discontinued.Thats it no more Jeep magazines.They only print,Four wheeler,Hot Rod,MotorTrend,and a couple of more boring magazines.The operator even stated that the magazines are not even available on line.???Why?And they are not returning.I just thought it was temporary.

Edited by NYLIBUD

Got Blown off by a Nationally Known Company today for a Job I applied for. International 8.9 Billion Dollar Company. I interviewed two weeks ago. I followed up last Friday. I was told, "Well, we're still interview candidates. We Will let you know something by Wednesday".

I hear nothing from them by Wednesday. Decide to give them a couple more days.. I call in today. "We've offered the job to somebody else."

So, would they have ever called me to tell me? Of Course not! These Billion Dollar companies are what is killing our country. Rude, Blah, Blahs.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Got Blown off by a Nationally Known Company today for a Job I applied for. International 8.9 Billion Dollar Company. I interviewed two weeks ago. I followed up last Friday. I was told, "Well, we're still interview candidates. We Will let you know something by Wednesday".

I hear nothing from them by Wednesday. Decide to give them a couple more days.. I call in today. "We've offered the job to somebody else."

So, would they have ever called me to tell me? Of Course not! These Billion Dollar companies are what is killing our country. Rude, Blah, Blahs.

"Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed." B)

2 hours ago, alexis said:

I don't work for a billion dollar company (yet) but if I go through the effort to get someone down to our offices for an interview, and I go with someone else, I always give the courtesy of a phone call. It's just the right thing to do.

Having been a job-seeker two or three times in the last decade or two, I can tell you that, big company or small, it is RARE anymore to get a "You didn't get it" notice from a potential employer. If you're LUCKY you'll get an email. In this case, "No news is bad news." 

I have had job offers from a company MONTHS after I took a job with someone else. I've never jumped ship for a latecomer. 

And, I've would have been Okay with the Automated Email. I've collected dozens of those. But this was Clear Face to Face Interview, with a Verbal Promise that I was one of 2 contenders, and that based on the strength of my interview, they'd be sure to let me know. 

No one wants to ( or is able to) tell the truth anymore.

They have no stomach (or those other two body parts) for conflict or confrontation, no matter how small - so they're generally too timid (or another word) to make a simple call. They just hope you just fade away and not make their lives unpleasant by having to deal with you.

Imagine the kind of respect they'd show you if they'd hired you. Some consolation.

?

10 hours ago, Danno said:

They have no stomach (or those other two body parts) for conflict or confrontation, no matter how small - so they're generally too timid (or another word) to make a simple call. They just hope you just fade away and not make their lives unpleasant by having to deal with you.

I think it’s more a corporate policy on dealing with applicants. Calling an unsuccessful applicant just opens them up to a recruiter saying something wrong on a call the receiver could be taping.  They don’t want to be sued.

So they send out a carefully worded standard form email their attorney has approved 

Edited by Tom Geiger

One interesting point to remind yourselves occasionally, the Human Resources department of any company is there to save the companies arse, not yours.

Also, most temp agencies will underpay you no matter how well you perform or how good your skill set is. (I have a jaded view on temp agencies based on my experience with them).

My local Michaels doesn’t seem to be restocking any Testors products. They only have one can of some fluorescent spray paint on the shelf, and a bunch of the little square bottles in odd colors. I asked one of the employees what gives? And she said “I dunno”.? 

On 10/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, Danno said:

?

?

All of a sudden, I feel like a Rhodes scholar. ?

Charlie Larkin

Went to Target today. Coming back to the car, I passed an Altima in the parking lot with plates from about 1/2 way across the country. Man, woman, large dog. Dog was unleashed, and taking a dump in the parking lot. Obviously pregnant woman was watching and smoking a cigarette.