Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:
Bummer of a day. My next door neighbors are moving out. The wife's brothers were attacked and stabbed across the street at the Q22 bus stop on Rockaway Beach Blvd. & Beach 111th St. last Wednesday evening. The younger brother, who recently enlisted in the USMC, was killed trying to help his older brother. My condolences and prayers go out to the families. ?
Getting bad here lately. Time for me to look elsewhere.

Is this is new York city ? Please excuse my ignorance 

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:
Bummer of a day. My next door neighbors are moving out. The wife's brothers were attacked and stabbed across the street at the Q22 bus stop on Rockaway Beach Blvd. & Beach 111th St. last Wednesday evening. The younger brother, who recently enlisted in the USMC, was killed trying to help his older brother. My condolences and prayers go out to the families. ?
Getting bad here lately. Time for me to look elsewhere.

Joe you might need to look elsewhere. I feel for their family..

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

We made it!  Lost power for a short time and lots of little branches on the ground.  I'll be spending time today putting our yard decorations back in the yard.

So glad it wasn’t bad Jim, this was a rough year to live around the Gulf coast line...

11 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Yeah, it's NYC. Rockaway Park in Queens County.

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. It's not just sad, but disgusting. Pathetic that something like this happens; especially to a young man who's chosen to risk his life to defend his country, then gets snuffed out by street thugs - at home. Lost all his potential to pukes that have no potential. 

Incompetent sellers who either have no clue as to what they're selling, or are unable to get the correct items in the dammed box.

It doesn't matter if it's private eBay jacklegs or companies selling "performance" parts.

Just this week so far: of two items in one box from a private seller, one was entirely incorrect; a company selling "performance" parts shipped 1/2" hard-line separators rather than 5/8" and wanted to argue endlessly because "the sku number says they're 5/8" (finally resolved with photos sent and hours out of my life lost to stupidity); 5/8" annealed stainless hard line AGAIN shipped as some bogus blue rubber hose; another "performance" parts company that listed fittings as "STEEL", which is what I needed, but shipped some Chinee cast potmetal which I wouldn't use on a lawnmower...and nobody on the "customer service" line could understand why it made any difference.

So...so far this week, probably 4 hours I can't bill for...OR EVER GET BACK...dealing with a bunch of useless morons.

IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO DO AN UNDEMANDING JOB CORRECTLY?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO DO AN UNDEMANDING JOB CORRECTLY?

Yes, Yes it is. AS us "Old Fogeys", age out, many (not all) of the folks who replace are just too dim to really do what they are supposed to do, without fouling it up. It has little to do with Smarts, and absolutely NOTHING to do with education, but it is more a product of a lack of care. There is (for them) no personal satisfaction in a job well done. No reason to fix errors. They get paid (many times very poorly), whether things go correctly or not. So, they put in their time, and they truly and honestly do not understand why you are so worked up. You got the box, didn't you? They didn't pack it, and don't care that someone else fouled up.

Our work ethic in this country has died. The few who try to do a good job are hassled by the lazy and incompetent. It is only going to get worse.......

Enjoy your Running water and Flush toilets while you can. Have you met many 20-something Sewer Repairman? That's why our pipes leak and our bridges are falling. Everybody wants to work in a Climate Controlled office, and nobody wants to be caught with dirty hands. Our culture has has embraced and now fully believes that only "Losers" do manual labor. If you aren't smart (or connected) enough to do "Knowledge Work", and work in clean spaces, then you deserve to starve.

I'm sorry if I offend, but I see more and more of it. I worked 11 years in Autos Dealers, 5 as a Line Tech, then as service writer/Shop foreman.  The only language you hear spoken in most dealerships in California is Spanish. So-Called "Heritage Americans"? They are too good or too stoned to do the work.   Now, in other places, I'm sure it is different, but here, Well? 11 years tells me that  I'm not too far off. Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But, they are few, and getting fewer every year.

I am consulting in a large company right now where I’ve been hired to improve processes.  And there’s much low hanging fruit actually touching the ground.  The big issue is that half the people don’t want to change anything and the other half don’t believe they can!  

I was asked why I was frustrated, just take the fees and let them do what they’re gonna do.

My reply?  I’m frustrated because at the end of the year I’m unemployed again and all these dolts still will have jobs!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Fun night on the boat i work on, about an hour after i started we lost all but 2 lines aloing with our shore power cable. I was onboard by myself for about an hour and a half after until the local pilot boat manged to get alongside and put a small crew on. I'm usually the nightwatch/cleaner but so i really didn't have any idea what to do. we're still not back at the pier but at least we now have power again and there are folk that know what to do. The boat i work on is a seacat passenger ferry so I was not really in any danger even if it went ashore but it i was still extremely stressed over it as its a lot of responsibility if it did go ashore. We have the local lifeboat on standby just in case anything else goes wrong tonight

On 11/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, alexis said:

Yes, Yes it is. AS us "Old Fogeys", age out, many (not all) of the folks who replace are just too dim to really do what they are supposed to do, without fouling it up. It has little to do with Smarts, and absolutely NOTHING to do with education, but it is more a product of a lack of care. There is (for them) no personal satisfaction in a job well done. No reason to fix errors. They get paid (many times very poorly), whether things go correctly or not. So, they put in their time, and they truly and honestly do not understand why you are so worked up. You got the box, didn't you? They didn't pack it, and don't care that someone else fouled up.

Our work ethic in this country has died. The few who try to do a good job are hassled by the lazy and incompetent. It is only going to get worse.......

Enjoy your Running water and Flush toilets while you can. Have you met many 20-something Sewer Repairman? That's why our pipes leak and our bridges are falling. Everybody wants to work in a Climate Controlled office, and nobody wants to be caught with dirty hands. Our culture has has embraced and now fully believes that only "Losers" do manual labor. If you aren't smart (or connected) enough to do "Knowledge Work", and work in clean spaces, then you deserve to starve.

Lots of good points.

Welcome to how business is done today. Unfortunately it not all of the fault of those filling orders or customer service. In the case of a big auto parts the warehouse workers depend on the computer to tell them which bins to pull parts from. Customer service is something that's a good marketing point but the least amount of money is paid for providing it.  There's also a good chance that the  job is outsourced. 

Another failure stems from incoming parts inspection.  If that is done poorly then wrong or substandard parts make it into the system. The focus is to get the parts into the warehouse as soon as possible.

Finally when problems do occur a root cause needs to be done to prevent the problem from occuring ing the future. Again another task that is considered an unnecessary expense.

Boils down to how cheaply can things be done.

2 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Lots of good points.

Welcome to how business is done today. Unfortunately it not all of the fault of those filling orders or customer service. In the case of a big auto parts the warehouse workers depend on the computer to tell them which bins to pull parts from. Customer service is something that's a good marketing point but the least amount of money is paid for providing it.  There's also a good chance that the  job is outsourced. 

Another failure stems from incoming parts inspection.  If that is done poorly then wrong or substandard parts make it into the system. The focus is to get the parts into the warehouse as soon as possible.

Finally when problems do occur a root cause needs to be done to prevent the problem from occuring ing the future. Again another task that is considered an unnecessary expense.

Boils down to how cheaply can things be done.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Now days, if you want to up in management, you have to have a financial mindset. It involves knowing the cost of everything, but not the value. It's almost always easier to cut cost rather than add value. I find this odd because the companies that do focus on value, have skyrocketed on the stock market and stayed there. Apple for instance has appreciated 3000% over the last 12 years. Tesla is another good example.