Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Welp it happened again,my younger nephew who loves cars,which is great.However today while visiting,he decided to climb up on my desk to pick out a car to play with,and while doing so,he took down a whole shelf with about 10 models on it,and everything came crashing down.????.What a giant mess.And I cant yell at him,he’s only 5...Jeeze,I just hope I can fix the broken models.I had a few old builds on the shelf,which are now destroyed beyond repair.

12 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Welp it happened again,my younger nephew who loves cars,which is great.However today while visiting,he decided to climb up on my desk to pick out a car to play with,and while doing so,he took down a whole shelf with about 10 models on it,and everything came crashing down.????.What a giant mess.And I cant yell at him,he’s only 5...Jeeze,I just hope I can fix the broken models.I had a few old builds on the shelf,which are now destroyed beyond repair.

Ouch! I hope the little Guy’s alright. I remember when I was just a wee tyke that I could open the doors and drawers on my parent’s buffet hutch and climb up to see what was on top of it. Well one day my little brother decided he would join me...and our combined weight tipped the whole thing over on top of us. I can’t recall if we got a spanking or not?.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:09 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Lots of good points.

Welcome to how business is done today. Unfortunately it not all of the fault of those filling orders or customer service. In the case of a big auto parts the warehouse workers depend on the computer to tell them which bins to pull parts from. Customer service is something that's a good marketing point but the least amount of money is paid for providing it.  There's also a good chance that the  job is outsourced. 

Another failure stems from incoming parts inspection.  If that is done poorly then wrong or substandard parts make it into the system. The focus is to get the parts into the warehouse as soon as possible.

Finally when problems do occur a root cause needs to be done to prevent the problem from occuring ing the future. Again another task that is considered an unnecessary expense.

Boils down to how cheaply can things be done.

I feel this all comes down to under trained employees because of the current management style. 

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ouch! I hope the little Guy’s alright. I remember when I was just a wee tyke that I could open the doors and drawers on my parent’s buffet hutch and climb up to see what was on top of it. Well one day my little brother decided he would join me...and our combined weight tipped the whole thing over on top of us. I can’t recall if we got a spanking or not?.

Yea he’s fine.Of course he hit the water works on high after it happened.???And your lucky that hutch didn’t crush u,ouch!!!

Edited by NYLIBUD

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

You really need to establish rules for when your nephew is at your house. You're fortunate he was not hurt..  He could have gotten into where your hobby knifes are and gotten hurt. Its not always possible to make a place kit safe but they have to understand what they can and cannot do at your house. Models are off limits  but he can ask to see something.

10 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

You really need to establish rules for when your nephew is at your house. You're fortunate he was not hurt..  He could have gotten into where your hobby knifes are and gotten hurt. Its not always possible to make a place kit safe but they have to understand what they can and cannot do at your house. Models are off limits  but he can ask to see something.

Um,ok,well thanks for the parenting child safety advice.He wouldn’t have gotten hurt.There is nothing but my models that on the shelf.

In my opinion you need to tell your nephew there are certain things he cannot touch. If he wants to see one of your models he needs to ask. If he does touch or break a model  then scold him. If not, you are doing  him a disservice because he will never learn to respect others property. Failure to do so will no doubt lead to more broken models in the future. 

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

Agreed. Five is the perfect age to teach kids about boundaries and respect. "These are Uncle Ron's toys and you have to ask before you touch them." 

It all depends on his upbringing up to this point.  If since his was born his parents let him get away with everything, it might be difficult to set boundaries at five years old when he visits uncle Ron..

Yea, kids do stuff like that, man..... I had built a Grave Digger monster truck around the time my niece was that age. She saw it on the shelf, grabbed it, and Launched it off of the shelf onto the floor.... It was the first time she had done something like that with my models. I guess she wanted to see it fly like on TV.... You can only correct a kid once they've done something! I just told her that wasn't acceptable, and never had any more incidents....

Hi all, I just have to vent to someone. My wife and I are so upset with our neighbor next door. A little backstory ,his mother lived in the house for about 10 years before cancer hit her. My wife and her were good friends. when she got sick ,one of her sons moved from Long Island. She was very sick. when he got here,he moved her to a smaller bedroom and moved into her bedroom and bath.

i overheard him say that he wished she would hurry up and die.

He is very OCD with a perfect yard. He mows about 2 times a week and for the past month and a half he blows leaves.He has a backpack blower the has the loudest sound I have heard. He has been blowing 2 to 3 times a day,everry day. His yard has no trees and ours has a lot. He blows the leaves from his onto ours. I know the leaves come from our trees,but,most other people in our area just pick up  whatever leaves are there. no matter whose they are. It is so loud and it goes on for hours a day,even into the night.

He has also put drainage drains from his property onto ours, causing a lot of water to come on our property. We called and had county come out and they said unless it causes damage to house, there was nothing to be done.

We have tried to talk to him, and, it is impossible, he just walks away with a beer in hand He is a drunk. He is about 47 years old and we are 67 and 68 years old.

We don't have the money to use lawyers and court.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the rant.

George

I'm sorry you're having problems with your neighbour, they can be very difficult situations to resolve. On this side of the pond they wouldn't be allowed to put drains in that exit on someone elses land (except possibly some farming) but thay can be allowed access to go throuh your land to connect to a drain but then they would be responsible for restoring your land. I'm guessing your not in hoa? You might be lucky and they sell the house when your neighbour passes. Would the county got involved if you maybe had a tempory drain dug so it runs out onto the sidewalk/roads so it becomes a safety issue?

Sorry to hear your situation but maybe I can let you know you're not alone.

Our neighbor smokes all the time. I've seen him with a lit cigarette in his mouth while filling his lawn mower with gas! We can't use our backyard because of the gagging cigarette smoke. Can't have windows open in the summer unless we know he's gone. He's loud no matter if it's 6 am out there gagging and coughing up a lung and belching. He takes a pee in his backyard when he's drinking his entire 6 pack of beer while smoking and at his bar-b-q which he douses with a quart bottle of lighter fluid to get it started. They have a dog that barks at the fence whenever I go outside. We have 2 small dogs but I have taught them not to bark at every little thing.

Every house on our street has a tree between the sidewalk and street and we all deal with the leaves. He uses a backpack leaf blower and only cleans the leaves off the sidewalk up to the property line between himself and us. It's his tree! I could go on but you get the idea. None of the other neighbors care for him and his wife because they're not friendly. The rest of us give a wave while driving by, etc. And no one else smokes except them and we get to live next to them.

Here's the funny thing. On the other side of us is a nice little Filipino woman and her sister. She is the best neighbor ever. She mows our front lawn when she does her own. Never asked her to but she does it. Every year around the holidays we take over some type of gift and thank her. She's also the friendliest person you'll ever meet. My wife and I always tell people we have the worst neighbor on one side and the best neighbor on the other.

Ok well he’s a good kid,and he certainly did not mean to break anything.He asked me first if he could play with them and I was there watching him.There were no sharp knifes or anything where he could’ve gotten into and injured.And he knows better too.Ah it’s completely my fault anyway,I had to many models on one flimsy shelf.Lol.And besides maybe he can help me fix some of them,and I can teach him some basic modeling skills at the same time.?I’ve been buying him a bunch of small scale snaptite kits and we always work on them together,so I can make sure he doesn’t swallow anything or harm himself in anyway..

We aren’t accustomed to little visitors at my house. We are 2 hours west of our grandkids and always go to them since there are three of them three and under, who are best in their own home.

This summer they did come to stay a few days and my granddaughter made a beeline for the shelf of bright colorful cars! We managed to stop her before she reached, and all the models were put up in the safety of my model room.. with the door closed!