Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Most discouraged I have been in a long time. My MS will not let up been this way since June and it’s taking a toll on my legs..

Carl, I am very sorry to hear this. I wish that I could send you self-building models or something to help comfort you. Hang in there....

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

A sad week for our hobby!  We lost three modelers.  Greg Nichols, Ken Walkley and Steve Hinson all passed away recently.  

Sad to hear this Tom, Steve Hinson sounds familiar..

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Carl, I am very sorry to hear this. I wish that I could send you self-building models or something to help comfort you. Hang in there....

Steve, the forum and  my family keep me going. I have been organizing parts for comfort. I am blessed but once in a while it gets me down for a little while.. thanks your words cheered me up..

40 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Does this makes sense ?  I’m in Arizona , package starts out in Minnesota and is in Alaska ?   

Sure. Common-core "educated" postal employee who didn't successfully discriminate between Arizona and Alaska.

Who needs to know where states are, anyway...especially if you're an essentially un-firable salaried employee and competent performance of your job isn't an issue.

A machine-illegible address or zip could also be part of the problem, and with no intelligent human intervention...

It'll probably go to Arkansas next.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think it's more a matter that USPS is so behind and has so many people out with Covid that they're using the resources they have.  Anchorage probably has low Covid and full staff. It doesn't matter where they sort the mail, it's all just a plane ride away.

During normal times I notice mail I send from Exton, PA will be postmarked Philadelphia,  Trenton, NJ or  Delaware. I confirmed at my PO that the trucks pick up at their office and take the mail to the processing center with the most availability. 

Yes, USPS is all messed up. As far as state names go, that's what ZIP cdes are for, I think the ZIP code takes priority over the state abbreviation.  or if they don't match during the OCR process then a human gets involved.  As far as the path of the package goes, this strange routing has been mentioned here, and on other forums many times in the past.  Sometimes packages seem to travel in circles for a while. Or go to way out of expected route.

Well it happened the other day.Only about 15 cars showed up at the morning coffee and horsepower show.It was very cold.I won’t deny that..For right now, we now try to meet at the DMV building.However before Covid, everybody went to Jones Beach and a fishing dock Cape Tree.Even Robert Mosses.Great shows.And no matter how cold it got, the place would pack out.Oh well,the seasons definitely over, unless we get a warm day.We will just have to wait.
from LI NY

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well it happened the other day.Only about 15 cars showed up at the morning coffee and horsepower show.It was very cold.I won’t deny that..For right now, we now try to meet at the DMV building.However before Covid, everybody went to Jones Beach and a fishing dock Cape Tree.Even Robert Mosses.Great shows.And no matter how cold it got, the place would pack out.Oh well,the seasons definitely over, unless we get a warm day.We will just have to wait.
from LI NY

Warm day anytime soon? Dude, it is middle January as in "middle of Winter"! :)  Actually this Winter seems to be a bit milder than average, at least in New England.

An e-mail from my teenager's school.....

Ohio recently passed a law allowing community members without a Bachelor's degree to substitute teach for the remainder of this school year.

Seriously....a pulse is a qualification to substitute teach?  Just for a laugh I clicked on the link and there is about 20 local schools.

I joked with the family I'm disqualified as I have two Bachelor's.  The wife said I would last about an hour.....my son had less faith and gave me 30 minutes.  I lack that filter between the brain and mouth.

12 hours ago, HomerS said:

...Ohio recently passed a law allowing community members without a Bachelor's degree to substitute teach for the remainder of this school year...

Who knows? Maybe it would be better...by far...to have a smart mechanic or plumber or carpenter teaching kids than a multi-degreed "professional" with expertise in alternative-lifestyle basket-weaving and the evils of individualism and self-reliance and Western literature and rational thought.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I just received a used head core for my Neon. Little car is so much fun to drive, so anonymous, and gets such great mileage, I've decided to keep him indefinitely.

Plan was to buy a head core, rebuild it on the bench, and then swap it, along with doing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and RH engine mount.

But as usual, stupidity had different plans.

For starters, it was supposed to be a "good" takeoff from a running car with 160K on the clock.

Nope. Looks like it's been under water for 6 months.

And I've never seen such a moronic job of packing a heavy car part in my life.

Rattling around in a cardboard box, with a little shredded newspaper. That's all.

The box is busted up, naturally, and the pressed-in spark-plug tubes are ruined.

So...I'll have yet more work to do, and more time wasted out of my life, compensating for a mess made by a mouth-breathing, brain-dead chimp.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Today’s debacle.. yesterday I was scheduling my mortgage payment for today in my bank’s online app when it crashed.  Logged in again, nothing was amiss, so I scheduled my payment. 

Today I look at my bank account and double my mortgage payment was missing with no evidence. I look at my checking account and there is my mortgage payment, but a second payment to the bank itself. I check my home equity account and no payment there.

I drive up to my bank and they were zero help. Told me they couldn’t see anything and I needed to make a phone call.

I go home and do so.. half hour on hold after going through phone tree hell.  I finally get a human from the payment app who tells me I need to talk to the home loan department. 

Another phone tree and fifteen minute wait. This lady cannot find any evidence of a payment. She agreed to help me though. She needs to go back to the department I first talked to. Even she had to wait in the same queue. We chatted while we waited.

The two of them went digging under the premise that I accidentally made a payment. They  finally tracked it down to an account that wasn’t even mine! So final analysis is they agreed it was their glitch. But it would take a week or two to get me my money back!   And it took me two hours to get that!

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

...And it took me two hours to get that!

Glad you finally got to someone who could straighten things out. A mortgage payment is kind of a big deal.

It eventually took me 6 hours online with "customer service chat", on phone hold, and eventually angrily visiting the local office to finally get my internet and landline service provider to admit there was a problem, admit that it was THEIR equipment or lines at fault, and to restore a reliable connection. This was after 3 months of randomly interrupted internet and phone service, and as I work from home occasionally, to say it was exasperating is an understatement.

Ain't "technology" grand?

Here's a handy tip for dealing with phone customer service. As soon as they start giving you menus and choices, hit 0. Often this will take you directly to a breathing human being who will then send you direct to the right place. 

This doesn't ALWAYS work, of course, but you'll be amazed at how often it does. B)