Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

36 minutes ago, slusher said:

Seems fragile means nothing to the post office and mai carriers..

Back when I sold on eBay I sold a guy a pristine 1968 Camaro dealer brochure. I carefully put it in a new rigid photo mailer. I owned a “Do Not Bend” rubber stamp I used liberally.

I get contacted by the buyer that his postman put the package across his top step and bent it in half with his shoe so he could cram it into the mail slot, destroying the previously perfect brochure. The guy said he saw the postman do this !

Still somehow he thought I should replace it or refund him!  

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not. But when buying a kit from a store. Make sure to check the bottom to see if the cellophane isn't cute out. Once again I went to open a kit and realized it had been opened in the store. Luckily it was the AMT 1964 Thunderbird I got at Ollies so I didn't pay much.The stock wheels and tires are missing. But luckily I had the same set in my stash. 

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not. But when buying a kit from a store. Make sure to check the bottom to see if the cellophane isn't cute out. Once again I went to open a kit and realized it had been opened in the store. Luckily it was the AMT 1964 Thunderbird I got at Ollies so I didn't pay much.The stock wheels and tires are missing. But luckily I had the same set in my stash. 

This problem is what started making model companies to start shrink wrapping models in the first place. Used to be they could keep "The honest people" out of the kits with just a couple of pieces of scotch tape. That lasted about a year or so and then they had to go to the shrink wrap packaging. 

9 hours ago, espo said:

This problem is what started making model companies to start shrink wrapping models in the first place. Used to be they could keep "The honest people" out of the kits with just a couple of pieces of scotch tape. That lasted about a year or so and then they had to go to the shrink wrap packaging. 

I have seen kits cut open at hobby lobby to steal the wheels and tires out of the box..

On 1/16/2021 at 8:16 AM, Snake45 said:

Here's a handy tip for dealing with phone customer service. As soon as they start giving you menus and choices, hit 0. Often this will take you directly to a breathing human being who will then send you direct to the right place. 

This doesn't ALWAYS work, of course, but you'll be amazed at how often it does. B)

I inadvertently discovered that if you start swearing like an angry navy chief in the goat locker, the voice response systems will sometimes route you to a rep who can actually help you. 

And yes, I can be quite the potty mouth under some circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I inadvertently discovered that if you start swearing like an angry navy chief in the goat locker, the voice response systems will sometimes route you to a rep who can actually help you. 

And yes, I can be quite the potty mouth under some circumstances. 

Wow!  Seems that there is some intelligence implemented in those dumb and annoying voice response systems.

What I find really stupid about those is that after they collect the info from you, and are in the process of retrieving the answer, they make noises like a human is typing on a keyboard. That is just so utterly silly.   Sure, all this time I thought I was talking to a live human, and I feel even better hearing them typing. Not!

16 hours ago, espo said:

The tape actually lasted several years...AMT didn't wrap kits until late '66 with the '67 annuals, and phased it in with Trophy Series kits as those were reboxed.

The theft started early.  I read somewhere that Revell was getting a lot of returns on their 1/32 scale '56 Mercury kits, all of them missing the wheel covers.  Budd Anderson was working at Revell then (not always on car kits) and supposedly got the idea to sell some of the parts separately, in packs.  Revell didn't act on the idea until he had moved on to AMT though.

My teenager was complaining that his school is teaching him how to write an e-mail.   PLEASE someone teach people the difference between 'reply' and 'reply to all'!!

I've marked all the e-mails from our church as SPAM as the last Saturday of the month is a work around the church day and the person that heads it up sends out an e-mail to solicit help.  One person 'replies to all' their ailment of the month in graphic detail (only missing pictures)...WAY too much information.  Another person 'replies to all' their weekend itinerary that includes the visit from their first cousin, twice removed whom they haven't seen since last big snowfall right after they left the last remaining Golden Corral, etc.  Again....TMI!  

At work, I get about a hundred e-mails a day.  When someone has a birthday or work anniversary, their manager sends out a notification.  Everyone on he floor hits the 'reply to all' to wish that person a happy whatever.....that should add about 30% to the e-mail totals for the day.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, HomerS said:

My teenager was complaining that his school is teaching him how to write an e-mail.   PLEASE someone teach people the difference between 'reply' and 'reply to all'!!

I've marked all the e-mails from our church as SPAM as the last Saturday of the month is a work around the church day and the person that heads it up sends out an e-mail to solicit help.  One person 'replies to all' their ailment of the month in graphic detail (only missing pictures)...WAY too much information.  Another person 'replies to all' their weekend itinerary that includes the visit from their first cousin, twice removed whom they haven't seen since last big snowfall right after they left the last remaining Golden Corral, etc.  Again....TMI!  

At work, I get about a hundred e-mails a day.  When someone has a birthday or work anniversary, their manager sends out a notification.  Everyone on he floor hits the 'reply to all' to wish that person a happy whatever.....that should add about 30% to the e-mail totals for the day.

Good percentage of people who get emails do not understand (or care) about the difference between "reply" and "replay to all"!  There is a cure for this (which they also should teach your son in school), but they it will be up to you to use that method.  The cure for "reply to all" is to use BCC on the original email sent to a large group of recipients.  That way, even if they hit "reply to all", it will only go to the sender of the email. Simple and effective way to avoid email storms and frustration.

I work for a large computer company and sometimes some employee accidentally emails something to an email containing thousands of recipients. That results with initially couple of replies (to all) stating that the sender must have sent that out to the wrong address. Those emails in turn start an "email storm" from others asking to be "taken off that email alias". Which is stupid, because that email alias for large group of people was created for a valid reason, and people cannot be removed from it.  Then we have other well-meaning people reply (to all) asking others to stop "replying to all"!! This just spins out of control! We then get people reply (to all) with cute memes or other helpful hints.  Since my company is global, the storm continues as employees come on shift in other time zones, and they also start replying (to all).  Sometimes the storm last longer than 24 hours! This all results in hundreds of useless emails in my Inbox.  Eventually things quiet down, but it takes a while. 

The weirdest thing is that this is a high-tech company so you woudl figure the employees would be savvy enough to understand how email system works!  Nope, we have a lot of clueless people working in my company.

Edited by peteski

I would like to ask that my friends fellow modelers keep my mother in law in your prayers. She was diagnosed las March with stage.four ovarian cancer.  She did all the chemotherapy and had a.good vacation and her numbers went down. Everyone believed it was going in remission but after New year her numbers went up.and it has spread to her intestines and she can’t eat. They. Said it’s squeezing her stomach and she  can’t keep anything down. She is in the hospital and they removed 3 liters of fluid off her stomach. I don’t know if she will come home or when. She is a wonderful woman bubbly friendly and a minister’s wife for 50 years and helping others. She will be 73 at the end of the month.  ...

On 9/19/2013 at 3:12 PM, Terry Sumner said:

The parts store doesn't have the parts I need for a customer's BMW and they have to come from Germany! So it will be at least 2 weeks!

At least you can get the parts! BMW are good like that even for older models. Try to get a wiper mechanism for a 1998 Fiat Seicento! Unobtanium.

I was reading the "USPS is horrible thread" and it reminded me of current Amazon problem. On Monday I bought some things I needed because it was advertised that I'd get it the following day. Tuesday evening came, and I got notice that it would be delivered Wednesday. I got a "sorry" notice Wednesday morning, and delivery was put off till that evening or Thursday. This morning they say Saturday/Sunday. The last time they did that, after 5 days they cancelled my order. If Amazon had been honest and said it might take a week, I'd have taken my chances in the outside world and bought the things locally. As it stands, I may have to anyway. 

I know, luxury problems in today's pandemic world are not such a big deal are they. Still, for an immune-compromised person like myself, leaving my home is more than a minor  inconvenience.

Got an email from Fine Scale Modeler saying they want me back. They miss sending me the magazine. Well, since Scale Auto went by the wayside they transferred the rest of my subscription over to Fine Scale and I've been getting it and last time I checked, I'm good until sometime in 2022. Boneheads!

On 1/26/2021 at 9:31 PM, Russell C said:

Never had any experience with one of those. It'll still run fine on the gas engine, right?

yes, but it's really gutless without the integrated motor assist... which needs the battery to work.