Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

10 hours ago, TonyK said:

The problem I have with the curbside/takeout situation is who gets the tip money? The kitchen folks made it and someone brings it out. That's it. So where does your tip money go?

Subway has a cup you put it in or have them put it in and the share it . I have no idea but I don’t think the cooks get any but I have not seen one at burger joints. Domino’s ask the question when you pay.

Edited by slusher

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

Tiger Woods flys his SUV at double the speed limit.....no citation issued......Wow, just Wow!!

I wondered about that....the estimated speed came from the SUV's telemetry, that may not be admissible for a citation, since it wasn't recorded by a speed camera (stationary or officer-used). 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

I wondered about that....the estimated speed came from the SUV's telemetry, that may not admissible for a citation, since it wasn't recorded by a speed camera (stationary or officer-used). 

I think that may be the case in California. 

I also heard on the news that brakes were not applied before the crash.

BTW, I would have never imagined that we will have cars with built in telemetry recording capabilities!  Most of us here are old enough to see that we have come a long way from what we drove in the early '80s or earlier. Basic electronic ignition with smog control, and AM/FM/cassette radio was the extent of the "electronics" in the car. Well, maybe a digital clock.  And going back further - oh boy!  Adjusting the timing and dwell on a point ignition, and making sure the condenser was hooked up!

8 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I wondered about that....the estimated speed came from the SUV's telemetry, that may not be admissible for a citation, since it wasn't recorded by a speed camera (stationary or officer-used). 

Depends.  If they obtained the EDR (Electronic Data Recorder) info via search warrant or by owner consent, then it would be admissable. Generally.* Courts have long ago taken judicial notice that the technology works, is accurate, and is reliable.  

* There are always screwball exceptions.

🌵😎 

12 hours ago, HomerS said:

Tiger Woods flys his SUV at double the speed limit.....no citation issued......Wow, just Wow!!

The man's an idiot and should be locked up. With his licence revoked for life. It's just luck that no innocent bystanders got hurt. Just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Danno said:

Depends.  If they obtained the EDR (Electronic Data Recorder) info via search warrant or by owner consent, then it would be admissable. Generally.* Courts have long ago taken judicial notice that the technology works, is accurate, and is reliable.  

* There are always screwball exceptions.

🌵😎 

Well, he was driving a loaner from Hyundai. He was commentator at a golf tournament being presented by Genesis (high end Hyundai) and had use of the vehicle. I'm sure the company was willing to co-operate with investigators to find out why one of their brand new cars went flying off into the trees.

3 hours ago, peter31a said:

I'm sure the company was willing to co-operate with investigators to find out why one of their brand new cars went flying off into the trees.

I would suspect is was more of a CYA investigation on Hyundai's part for their first effort on a higher end SUV

35 minutes ago, imarriedawitch said:

Ten games on the NHL schedule tonight. Between TSN and Sportsnet I've got 11 channels and not a single game available in my region. 

If you like violence and mayhem, Battlebots is on tonight. IT'S ROBOT FIGHTIN' TIME! :D

BOTS-POSTER-ROBOTFIGHTINGTIME-5-500x500.

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you like violence and mayhem, Battlebots is on tonight. IT'S ROBOT FIGHTIN' TIME! :D

BOTS-POSTER-ROBOTFIGHTINGTIME-5-500x500.

Not here. We get a lot of these shows on different nights than you. The last half of Minotaur vs. Blacksmith was a classic.

Blacksmith vs. Minotaur - BattleBots - YouTube

Edited by imarriedawitch

1 hour ago, imarriedawitch said:

Ten games on the NHL schedule tonight. Between TSN and Sportsnet I've got 11 channels and not a single game available in my region. 

The Blue Jackets game was essentially over about six minutes in after Tampa scored three goals on five shots so you didn't miss anything in this game

9 hours ago, HomerS said:

I would suspect is was more of a CYA investigation on Hyundai's part for their first effort on a higher end SUV

Sheriff had a search warrant for the event recorder data. Courts long ago ruled that it belongs to the owner of the vehicle, so a search warrant is required and normally granted when requested.

The "accident" happened in a spot where a lot of self-important rich folks have crashed while speeding and not paying attention. Maybe they will install some speed bumps or something now.

45 minutes ago, HomerS said:

The Blue Jackets game was essentially over about six minutes in after Tampa scored three goals on five shots so you didn't miss anything in this game

I like watching Columbus when there's the opportunity. They have a couple of guys that played their junior hockey here in London.

almost 7 weeks for a package to arrive USPS from mass to nj (a 5 hour drive). it sat in boston for over 1 month with no movement. ebay had already refunded me because they assumed it was lost. once it arrived i paid again because i didnt want to bother shipping it back.

i had already replacement paint from a different place and finished the model i bought it for. 

now i have another model from ebay sitting in Iowa with similar nonsense of marked as leaving but no movement. im really tired of usps. however, the closest hobby store that  sells models is 45  minutes away. i took the trip yesterday and their model selection is down to just a handful of models, maybe 10 total, and none of them were anything i wanted of course. they also dont sell paint anymore, so it was a complete waste of a trip

Edited by youpey

12 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

It seems there are never any games broadcast on Thursday so I just watch the NHL show that drops in on all the games for a bit to show you "some" of the games. Gets frustrating though when I start to get involved and they leave for another game.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, peter31a said:

Well, he was driving a loaner from Hyundai. He was commentator at a golf tournament being presented by Genesis (high end Hyundai) and had use of the vehicle. I'm sure the company was willing to co-operate with investigators to find out why one of their brand new cars went flying off into the trees.

That's right!  I totally spaced that it wasn't his car, OWNED by him.  It belonged to Genesis, so it is their consent that would be necessary to interrogate the EDR.  If Genesis was not willing to consent to the "search" of the EDR, then a court-issued search warrant would be required. 

The driver would have no say whatsoever, unless Genesis was influenced by "protecting" the driver.

🌵😎

2 hours ago, youpey said:

almost 7 weeks for a package to arrive USPS from mass to nj (a 5 hour drive). it sat in boston for over 1 month with no movement. ebay had already refunded me because they assumed it was lost. once it arrived i paid again because i didnt want to bother shipping it back.

i had already replacement paint from a different place and finished the model i bought it for. 

now i have another model from ebay sitting in Iowa with similar nonsense of marked as leaving but no movement. im really tired of usps. however, the closest hobby store that  sells models is 45  minutes away. i took the trip yesterday and their model selection is down to just a handful of models, maybe 10 total, and none of them were anything i wanted of course. they also dont sell paint anymore, so it was a complete waste of a trip

A hobby shop that doesn't sell paint?  Not much of a hobby shop IMO.

Once upon a time, I was driving around in one of the suburbs on the side streets, and spotted a hobby shop.  I stopped in, the whole place was full of D&D stuff, not a model kit to be seen.  On my way out, the guy asked me if he could assist with anything.  I politely said no, I'm not into gaming, I walked in because it was a hobby shop.  He said "it is a hobby shop, if your hobby is gaming".  Not that I drove through there a lot, but the place wasn't around long.  He might have done better to call it a "gaming store" or something else...