Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

24 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I believe your irks may be considerably more significant than mine.

Good luck with that mess, seriously.

Thanks Bill, I should already have the aid set up for the hospital bill, but the FMLA thing is just irritating.  From what it sounds like, I’m still kinda lucky compared to others that have had to deal with for their own claims. One thing that sucks though, I thought that maybe a call to HR might help, so I did and it lead right to the came company 🤬

Still waiting for USPS to do their job and deliver my package. Tracking hasn't updated since last week. April 5th it arrived at the facility in PA and then just says it's in transit to the next facility. No it's not. I'm guessing they lost it.

40 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Still waiting for USPS to do their job and deliver my package. Tracking hasn't updated since last week. April 5th it arrived at the facility in PA and then just says it's in transit to the next facility. No it's not. I'm guessing they lost it.

I read online that usps is basically loading things into trucks and letting them sit until they have "enough" to go to that area. They mark them as on route to next facility, even though they are not moving at all.

They are no longer driving trucks to a destination with a small load. 

I had a package sit for over 1 month in Boston. i got a refund and had to repay the vendor once it arrived. 

This is what i read online and may or may not be true. However my package being delayed one month, marked as on route, i would tend to believe it. I had put in a usps lost package claim after 20 days missing and they called me yesterday, weeks after it was delivered to investigate the claim, so basically 30 days or so after i started the claim 

At this point I have been paying extra for ups when available because they seem to be ok still. Fedex in my area is bad. They are constantly flagging stuff as "client requests to not deliver this day" so they can deliver late. Calling cust service doesn't help at all. It keeps happening. There was nothing like when I had a box spring and mattress being delivered fedex. Watching the driver pull up in front of my house, go to the back of the truck, tgen stand there a minutes, then drive away. only to then get a delivery update text moments later saying i requested it to not be delivered, customers requested pickup. calling customer service got me nowhere, and fedex "lost" the mattress for 2 days. I was really angry because this set cost me about 2000 dollars and i had been saving up for a really long time. It eventually arrived, about 4 days late, and they didn't even deliver it to my door, i had to drag it up myself. I called the mattress place during this mess and they were not at all surprised. they said it happens quite a bit 

Edited by youpey

46 minutes ago, Mark said:

This whole mess is going to be used in some quarters to lower overall expectations, and get you used to the idea of even poorer service than what there was before...

I definitely agree with this. Even Amazon has gotten significantly worse. Previously we had same day delivery if we ordered in the morning on many things. Now, i would say 50% of my orders are longer than 2 days, although they have it displayed as such. Of all of my orders, i would say more than a handful are delayed past the promised delivery. Usually not more than a day late, but now that im vaccinated, im going to the stores again

Patience is not my strong suit

Edited by youpey

I filed a claim with USPS just hoping somebody would wake up and do something but after reading the above post I doubt anything will happen. Didn't expect it anyway but not gonna just sit here and do nothing.

My package is from Big Donkey Resin and I contacted him to let him know what's going on. He's a good guy and I told him there's nothing I want him to do but also told him the USPS is the last outfit I'd use to ship stuff. This sort of thing can reflect on his business if it happens often. Some people would be hesitant to order anything.

I just got an order from Chewy who uses FedEx and got it in 2 days. Quick order fill and quick delivery. UPS is still may favorite. Never seem to have a problem with them.

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

I know my package is going to take a while if I see that it's been routed through PA.

Finally heard back from the rep for the FMLA claim in question, email claims the dr(s) still haven’t sent the certification that they need, problem is, they’ve sent everything they can think of that these people need and don’t know anything else that they can send without committing privacy violations🤬

I decanted some paint this morning by spraying it through a large straw. A bit spattered on the rim of the paint bottle so I picked it up with a paper towel to wipe it off and....fumble!🤬 Wound up dumping a bunch all over my hand.

Edited by NOBLNG

I had to do some paint touch up around the house. I keep the left over paint in the basement with the name of the room and when it was applied written on the lid. I started stirring the paint with one of the paint stores wooden stir sticks when I felt what I thought was some paint pigment built up on the floor of the can. I managed to get it to mix in with the paint and it was all looking like new paint ready to use. Fortunately the touch up was for one of the posts supporting the deck. As I put the brush in the can for more paint I notice what looks like some dribbles of white paint on the concrete slab of the lower deck where I'm standing. I lift the paint can and it's slowly leaking from the bottom of the can. Seems that newer cans used for house paint doesn't last much more than 3 or 4 years. The lump I was mixing off the bottom of the paint can was actually rust and I was knocking the rust loose that allowed the bottom of the can to start leaking. I set the now leaking can down in the plastic liner of the trash can and finished my touch up and then sealed the lid on the can again. I spent a couple of hours with the power washer getting the paint off of the concrete before it dried.   

Check the home improvement stores and hardware stores...many sell empty quart paint cans.  Leaving leftover paint in the gallon can will result in either the paint drying in the can, or moisture getting into the can causing the rust.  I will dab a bit of paint on both the lid and side of the can to show the color of the contents.

My USPS problem has just taken a hilarious turn. My package is in Guam!!!! Even better, it says it departed from there April 16th at 1:11 am. That's tomorrow but I guess they're a day ahead.

Would it be ok for me to say I hate USPS?

I have a Sherwin-Williams store within easy walking distance. I started buying paint from them early this century. The price is about the same as the big-box home improvement stores, sometimes less. They have a "local residents" discount. The folks who work there actually know something about paint!

Anyway, early this century, they started using gallon plastic jugs with handles for paint. I just used some from 2006 to touch up the home office and it was as good as the day I first used it. Long gone, back to metal cans that do just what David describes. Cheaper, and I guess they recycle easier than the plastic jugs do.

On the USPS note, I sent something to my financial guy in SoCal and he got it in 2 days. My MCM arrived on my porch today from SoCal in 2 days. Guess that's a "pleased you" entry though.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

My USPS problem has just taken a hilarious turn. My package is in Guam!!!! Even better, it says it departed from there April 16th at 1:11 am. That's tomorrow but I guess they're a day ahead.

Would it be ok for me to say I hate USPS?

i heard a news article one time about a package like this happened. the label was damaged and when they fixed it, they flipped 2 digits, and it ended up in guam. hopefully they get it squared away.

my latest irk. my wife's sister volunteers for an animal rescue. she is going through the house seeing what we can donate for a yard sale. i dont mind donating stuff for the animals, but she tried to donate my old wii u games. i told them some of them are quite valuable. she told me i was being silly. it wasnt until i opened ebay and showed her the listings for what they sold for did she believe me. probably 400 to 500 dollars worth of games she wanted to sell for 1 dollar each. im sure someone would have snatched them all up and made 400% profit

Edited by youpey

METRIC fiberglass asphalt shingles, in the USA?   One reason I haven't posted in my WIP, been replacing super dooper worn shingles on my outbuildings.  I cleaned out the Home Deephole to the east of me, then went to the other one to the west, and got what I thought was the same shingles.  Today I opened the first bundle of the second batch, and discovered they weren't the same size!  I was floored, then looked at the edge of the bundle and saw METRIC.  I mean seriously?  Wasted time going to those two HD, which didn't have what I needed, then went to the Lowes, which had "regular" size.  Or so I thought...... when going to the pickup, saw METRIC on the top bundle, it was mixed in with the "regular" size, so back for the refund, and to see if there was one more and sure enough the rest were.

The masking tape section looked like the TP aisle, apparently ships are sitting off shore waiting to be unloaded, so 3/4" masking tape is now scarce.

Stores are purchasing anything they can get their hands on. There is a huge shortage in many building supplies. I work in the fire sprinkler industry, pipe and fittings are getting scarce and super expensive. 10% monthly price increases have been common for sometime now. Chlorine is another item that is getting harder to come by. It is used in making CPVC pipe and manufactures cannot get any. If you own a pool, you better stock up or you will be swimming in a green slimy mess this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a shortage on salt for pool filters as well.  Due to the pandemic, salt supplies were already low so some of local news stations had hardware places telling folks to check their pool supply house as its the same stuff just ground finer.

my wife had her windshield replaced by a major chain windshield shop this past weekend. When she drove to work today she found that the mechanic left his bag of tools in the back seat. since the appointment was done online, my wife didnt know who to call. I used the online customer support chat to find the phone number to call to get the mechanic back his tools.

The customer service rep came on, and i explained it to them, and they replied you need to contact the shop directly, and immediately ended chat. did not give me an opportunity to respond asking for the number or how i can find the number. i clicked chat again and got someone the second time, who contacted them for me and told me someone would call me to schedule a pickup time. 

I am so tired of customer service being jerks. their whole job is customer service. i wasnt trying to complain, i just wanted to get the tools back to them, i imagine they arent cheap

Edited by youpey

It was yesterday but I'll complain today. I spend they last few weekends at my fathers helping him put power steering in his 51 Chevy truck. It fought us every step of the way. Put in a new column, power steering pump, relocated the box, new joints, hoses, belt and more stuff, got it together, took it for a ride and it wanders all over the road as bad as it did before. When I jacked it up to start looking at what was going on, I grabbed the drivers side wheel and noticed it moved. I thought it was the wheel bearing but NOOO, it's the king pins. So now it's all back apart waiting for new parts again. I'm beginning to hate this truck! Meanwhile my father is grinding valves for a Model A he's working on and the belt goes bad on the machine. No big deal if the machine wasn't over 70 years old. Now we have to find a belt for that too.

SUNP0004 (2).JPG

SUNP0001 (2).JPG