Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 5/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, TransAmMike said:

Every thing ready to spray primer on model, turn the switch on the compressor, runs for split second and boink, it just quits running. Thank goodness I have an old ancient backup.

Yah, that's why I bought a backup little compressor for $10 at a yard sale a couple years ago. Last weekend it came in handy--I used it to fill a flat tire on my lawnmower (and didn't have to haul the good one upstairs out of the Snakepit). B)

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Yah, that's why I bought a backup little compressor for $10 at a yard sale a couple years ago. Last weekend it came in handy--I used it to fill a flat tire on my lawnmower (and didn't have to haul the good one upstairs out of the Snakepit). B)

Yep, luckily I had an old backup😃

i ordered delivery from panera for sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches. the food arrives and there is no sausage and no cheese. basically an undercooked egg and bread. unfortunately i was really busy at my job yesterday so i couldnt call them, but in my last 3 orders from them, they have messed up 2 times. I wont order again.

Found out from the news on telly that my job might be ending as the boat might be going away on a charter. I'm not too irked but it would have been nice to be told. The charter is to replace a brand new ship that has been a disaster of fails from bent propshafts, spun bearings, and all 4 engines needing rebuilt after less than a month in service. There is a bit of funny though, the company chartering it are our main competitor and the islands it will be going to asked for our boat by name after smaller boats were suggested because while our boat is getting to 12 years old it has been proven reliable

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Found out from the news on telly that my job might be ending as the boat might be going away on a charter. I'm not too irked but it would have been nice to be told. 

Sorry to hear! I found out my job was over on the morning radio news.  It was announced that the US government cancelled the alternative fuels project we were working on. All four of us in the carpool gasped!

And yes we all lost our jobs!

50 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sorry to hear! I found out my job was over on the morning radio news.  It was announced that the US government cancelled the alternative fuels project we were working on. All four of us in the carpool gasped!

And yes we all lost our jobs!

If you have experience in alternative fuels theres some good jobs in them around here. Mostly its involved with hydrogen production and storage but they are looking into converting a second ferry since it has gone so well on the first one. Electric aircraft too, so the islander aircraft might be flying for another 40 years

The local high school gym, there is a sizable advertisement near the score board for the local plumber that offers 'high presure water jetting'.

As a solid "C" student in English my entire life, it's that noticeable.

Painted my mums bedroom for her yesterday and all seemed well. Woke up today to find she hates the colour she chose (a kinda nice pale grey/blue) and she was in tears over it so now I'm repainting it white instead of trying to get my dscv17 bug finished. Hopefully get both done today cos I'm back at work on weds

I had to assemble a crib this morning. My daughter and grandson will be visiting next month and my wife though we should have a crib for the little guy. I don't know what blind third grade child designed this thing but there was no way following the directions anyone could put this thing together. After I threw down the assembly guide things went much better.

28 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I don't know what blind third grade child designed this thing but there was no way following the directions anyone could put this thing together. After I threw down the assembly guide things went much better.

Hence my sig line. B):lol:

Ebay's moronic "we looked everywhere" because old photos from eons ago still populate the interdwerbs, but when you try to go to the site, you get a shot of a dumb kid. Awww...isn't that cute...and useless.

Entirely appropriate considering the way they apparently hire and manage their IT people these days.

eBay Take Down Sale Of Original Fake Taxi - UNILAD

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

16 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Painted my mums bedroom for her yesterday and all seemed well. Woke up today to find she hates the colour she chose (a kinda nice pale grey/blue) and she was in tears over it so now I'm repainting it white instead of trying to get my dscv17 bug finished. Hopefully get both done today cos I'm back at work on weds

That's a tough break! 

Did she originally chose that color, or you picked it yourself to surprise her?

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ebay's moronic "we looked everywhere" because old photos from eons ago still populate the interdwerbs, but when you try to go to the site, you get a shot of a dumb kid. Awww...isn't that cute...and useless.

Entirely appropriate considering the way they apparently hire and manage their IT people these days.

eBay Take Down Sale Of Original Fake Taxi - UNILAD

Welcome to today's world ran by millennials. :wacko:

EBay doesn't keep the old images forever. That cure image is probably the standard browser 404 error (page not found).  But search engines cache small versions of many images, and those persist for a long time.  I guess the search engines are partially to blame for this irk.

7 hours ago, peteski said:

EBay doesn't keep the old images forever. That cure image is probably the standard browser 404 error (page not found).  But search engines cache small versions of many images, and those persist for a long time.  I guess the search engines are partially to blame for this irk.

All agreed, but in general, eBay is becoming an increasingly glitchy mess.

And many search engines are far more concerned with collecting marketable data on their users and ranking search results on the basis of the management's particular biases than providing a clean product.

I emailed my contact about an issue. He responded with can you send this to this person 

It would have taken the same amount of time for him to just add his name and say fyi to the person.

Keeps happening where i email him and he tells me to email random people instead of just doing it 

Its stupid thing to complain about, i know

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Forgot to put in a eBay bid until 1 minute too late. And it sold for less than I was prepared to bid! (Not that the top bid might not have exceeded mine anyway.) :angry:

Bummer! Lately eBay pesters me on my phone 15 minutes before an auction I’ve saved ends.  Then I take pleasure in accomplishing a 6 second snipe.

Still I have missed some when I was outdoors etc, so when I have something I really want I will set it up in eSnipe. If it’s one of those “I will grab it if it’s super cheap” things, I’ll chance it.

Sometimes I win, sometimes I cost somebody some money!

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

All agreed, but in general, eBay is becoming an increasingly glitchy mess.

And many search engines are far more concerned with collecting marketable data on their users and ranking search results on the basis of the management's particular biases than providing a clean product.

Ah, so that was a ran about the stupidity on the Internet in general.  Yes, things are getting really out of control on the Interwebs (and everywhere else too).

On 6/1/2021 at 7:25 PM, peteski said:

Oh well.  That is too bad.

My mom has dementia/Alzheimers, so every day with her is a total surprise.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as my father had dementia.  You never knew what his demeanor would be when you opened that door.  His best episode was he was convinced people were breaking into the house as they were leaving things.   Um no burglars dont do that dad so I told him to call the police....and he did.  Expletive!!  We only lived about half a mile apart but had to leave work early and go talk with the officers.

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

My thoughts and prayers are with you as my father had dementia.  You never knew what his demeanor would be when you opened that door.  His best episode was he was convinced people were breaking into the house as they were leaving things.   Um no burglars dont do that dad so I told him to call the police....and he did.  Expletive!!  We only lived about half a mile apart but had to leave work early and go talk with the officers.

Thanks!  I also wish you all the best.

Mom is a hoarder and also paranoid (even before she was afflicted with dementia), so her neighbor constantly "breaks in and steals everything" (including food from the cabinets and fridge).  She locks the door, puts the chain on, and even barricades the doors by placing bunch of things in front of it, but somehow the neighbor still manages to come in (even with the door untouched).  Mom takes things into her bedroom for overnight, and locks herself there for protection.  When I explain to her that it is impossible for anybody to enter the apartment without disturbing her barricades, she agrees, but the next day, she goes back to her ways. Plus whenever she misplaces things, she used the "thieving neighbor" as an excuse when she can't find something in her piles of stuff. Of course, I end up finally finding the "stolen" items hidden somewhere in the apartment. 

Yet, physically she is in good health. I have so many crazy stories crazy, I could write a novel.