Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

My wifes uncle died. His family and my wifes family is estranged. however, in a time like this they should have put aside their differences, but they wont

They didn't even call my mother in law to tell her that her brother died. She found out from her daughter, who happened to see it on a Facebook post. 

I thought it was odd they didn't come to our wedding but this is bigger. .. its her brothers death

Edited by youpey

My heart goes out to those of you dealing with aging parents and dementia.  My wife and I spent our fifties taking care of our parents until their deaths, so I do understand what you are dealing with.

It started when my father was ill with cancer. As we interacted more with my mother we realized she was mentally declining.  My father died within two years and my mother lived on for another eight, in a decline until her death.  

No sooner were we over this, my wife’s parents needed help. They were the nicest people. My father in law had strokes, heart attacks and diabetes. He had very limited use of his right side including his arm. He lost an eye, and both legs to diabetes.  He did maintain his faculties and was pleasant and thankful for everything we did for him. 

My mother in law developed dementia. She was so nice we used to call her Mrs. Cunningham, but as she declined she got the vocabulary of a truck driver and would shift between singing to a doll and cursing at us.  

In contrast, my mother wasn’t all that pleasant in life, but became the sweetest and most compliant patient.  

As each of them passed, there was a sense of relief, and a feeling of a job well done since we stuck with them all until the end.  People would ask if I was sad to lose our mothers and we’d say that we lost them years ago.  We were just relieved that they were free from their situation.

For those currently in this situation, you will get through it.  My best and most empathetic wishes to you!

My pharmacy decided they'd do Covid shots from 8-9 AM and not let you pick up prescriptions then. When I need to pick up my prescription I always go when they open which is 8 AM. Sign on the wall still says they open at 8 but THEY decided to change rules without telling anyone. Guy in front of me was pretty upset about it and said they could keep his pills and he'd go somewhere else.

There's construction on the road there and back so had to wait some while flaggers stop us. Went back at 9 and dealt with flaggers stopping us again. Guess I learned the new rules the hard way.

My number one favourite pair of tweezers has disappeared. 🤬I’m hoping they will turn up somewhere, but I fear I may have elbowed them off my workbench and into my garbage can. If so, they are gone for good cause yesterday was garbage day, and I didn’t notice them missing till late in the day.😡

8 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

My number one favourite pair of tweezers has disappeared. 🤬I’m hoping they will turn up somewhere, but I fear I may have elbowed them off my workbench and into my garbage can. If so, they are gone for good cause yesterday was garbage day, and I didn’t notice them missing till late in the day.😡

I sure hope they turn up for you. I have a tray sitting on my can and my parts are in the tray so what goes in the can is what I put in there.  Maybe fresh search they may turn up.

17 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That sucks!  For this very reason, I now keep my trash can behind me.  I got tired of dumping and sorting thru it for parts and such!  It took a bit of getting used to, turning around in my swivel office chair to toss something or sand over the pail. Second nature now!

19 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ahhhh,almost 90 degrees here in NY.Too soon.We don’t have a spring anymore.Goes from winter,right to a steamy summer.Blaaaaa.🙄

I had been weeding and spreading mulch.  I finished up one of the front gardens last evening after it got cool.  I wasn't going out there today!   Nope!

My local post office. Once again I have packages that have been sitting at the post office for several days with no idea of when they will be delivered. Twice I have been given a delivery date only for that date to come and go with no package. My other mail has been delivered, though. I live down a dirt road and I think the mail carrier just doesn't want to drive down to my house. 

On 6/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Ahhhh,almost 90 degrees here in NY.Too soon.We don’t have a spring anymore.Goes from winter,right to a steamy summer.Blaaaaa.🙄

Kinda did that here in NE Ohio.  Been a hot, wet Spring.  90 in May is unseasonable, feels more like August.   And there was snow just about a month ago...

3 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

My local post office. Once again I have packages that have been sitting at the post office for several days with no idea of when they will be delivered. Twice I have been given a delivery date only for that date to come and go with no package. My other mail has been delivered, though. I live down a dirt road and I think the mail carrier just doesn't want to drive down to my house. 

Can you go to the PO and pick them up?  I'd bet that, in your area, whoever delivers the mail may have had to bid on the right to do so, so any trip they view as "extra" costs them more time and money with no return on either.  Covid is going to be used as a blanket excuse by a lot of people and businesses for a long time to come.

11 hours ago, alexis said:

So, Greg.

Have your Tweezers Shown up?

Don't leave us hanging. I've had tools disappear for years at a time. Extremely Frustrating. 

Nope! I haven’t actually done a decent cleanup on my bench to verify 100% that they’re gone...but I’m 98% sure.🤨

7 hours ago, youpey said:

i woke up at 2:30 am, for no reason. i havent been able to fall back asleep. i only slept 3.5 hours. man, tomorrow is going to drag

Ooh, I hate it when that happens. Thankfully I am retired and don’t have to go to work anymore.🙂

Just now, NOBLNG said:

oh, I hate it when that happens. Thankfully I am retired and don’t have to go to work anymore.🙂

I have a PTO day today, it was scheduled, so im relieved. i would have had to call out sick.

i did fall back asleep around 4am until 630 when my wife's alarm went off. i probably could have fallen back asleep. however, she has a habit of hitting it 3 or 4 times. its always impossible to fall back asleep when she does it.

Modern car brakes! Just to change rear pads & rotors on my VW not only do you have to screw the caliper piston back in with the right tool, but you have to retract the electronic parking brake with an OBD tool then reset it when done. I miss the days of C clamps for disc brakes and brake spoons for drum brakes!

On 6/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Here in Northeast MA we are in a heat wave. 3rd day of 90+ weather, and dew points in the 70s.  Right now it is 96 deg. F!  My ACs are going full blast.  At least the weekend and next week will cool down to the 70s and 80s and not as muggy.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Here in Northeast MA we are in a heat wave. 3rd day of 90+ weather, and dew points in the 70s.  Right now it is 96 deg. F! 

Same here in Pennsylvania!  I gave up on mulching for a few days. It’s raining now, hopefully that will break the heat spell. Great excuse to hide in the model room!

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Ooh, I hate it when that happens. Thankfully I am retired and don’t have to go to work anymore.🙂

I accident retired due to Covid. Have no desire to get back to work. But pesky recruiters keep calling, so we will see!

Edited by Tom Geiger

about 1 month ago i found there is an arbys about 25 minutes from my house. i went there for lunch and it was delicious.   i have gone 3 times more after that, and each time it tasted worse and worse. last night i went there and the roast beef was so dried out and gross. by the time i got home, i felt sickly and went to bed at 9:30. this morning i woke up still having stomach issues. 

i guess thats it for me and arbys. i just wish that first time i went it wasnt so good. if the first time i went, was like any of the 3 times after, i wouldnt have gone back.

teach me to trust an arbys attached to a gas station

Edited by youpey