Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Pretty universal one today.

People who complain and criticize, but then offer no solutions to fix the problem.

That's great if someone has a legitimate problem / complaint. But when you make it, throw a solution out there, give some ideas on how to help fix the problem. Turns a complaint into a discussion, helps get things figured out a lot faster. 

I deal with this at work a lot, most recently, about 20 minutes ago. Joys of being the boss I guess.

Trash pickup.    We have our trash pickup done by a local big trash company that has a contract with our city as well as many others in the area. Trash day is early Wednesday morning and the paper/card board pickup is in the after noon. No big deal, sort of like the sun coming up in the morning and setting in the evening, except this last Wednesday.  The trash truck usually rolls thru the neighborhood between 7:30 and 8 AM. I had both roll arounds out there by then. I checked on the trash dumpster a few times and thought it odd that at 1 PM they still hadn't picked it up. The recycle bin was picked up by 3 PM which is late for that but still no trash pickup. Thursday I call the city number for the trash and the lady was a little testy but I figure I'm not the only one not getting their trash pickup. Friday the city is saying that today they will pickup the trash. Today I added another bag of trash to the bin at the end of the driveway. I'm betting that we will not see the trash truck until Wednesday. In the mean time the neighborhood has full to overflowing trash bins at the end of our driveways. Starting to look a little tacky not to mention the air quality in our 95 degree plus weather.  

33 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

People who complain and criticize, but then offer no solutions to fix the problem.

That's great if someone has a legitimate problem / complaint. But when you make it, throw a solution out there, give some ideas on how to help fix the problem. Turns a complaint into a discussion, helps get things figured out a lot faster. 

I deal with this at work a lot, most recently, about 20 minutes ago. Joys of being the boss I guess.

Just like a man. You hear a problem, you want to hear a solution, or you'll try to come up with one youself. :lol:

Many women, OTOH, when voicing a "problem," aren't particularly interested in solving it, they just want to be heard and commiserated with. Some men, too. This is not just my observation; whole books have been written about it. :lol:

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I once had a boss that fits this perfectly.  When a new procedure came along, he didn't bother to learn about it because it was different from the way things were when he started with the company in 1952 or thereabouts.  So when you figured it out yourself, and it wasn't quite right, he'd tell you so but wouldn't disclose the "right" way because he hadn't even tried to do it.  He'd complain that none of us were doing anything right, ever, but when any of us was offered another position he'd complain that he couldn't afford to lose any of us.

All of that caught up to him...he got canned at the age of 57, and was unemployable.  He had to ride out close to five years after his unemployment benefits ran out, until he could retire at 62-1/2.  I didn't feel one bit sorry to see the door slam on his way out.

What irked me today was that my email server keeps forgetting that I marked any mail from my ex-wife as spam. I opened my mail today and there was another email from her in my inbox. I deleted it without reading it. It's bad enough that I had to set my phone answering machine on "filter all calls" to stop her from being able to leave messages. 

The whole purpose of a divorce to be done with a person completely and forever. Apparently, my ex-wife doesn't understand that. And SHE is the one who filed for divorce, LOL, now she talks about dating me? She said she was lonely, so go get a boyfriend! Sorry about ranting. 

Smoke alarm going berzerk at 5 am today. Of course it's the one in our upstairs bedroom with a vaulted ceiling so I have to run out to the garage and get the ladder. Luckily I'm up early in the morning but the wife is still asleep. Unhooking the alarm I see a little spider run across it so guessing that's what set if off.

One of our dogs gets really upset when this happens and pants and shakes and it takes a while to calm her down. The other dog just watches the activities.

Garbage men woke us up at 5:30am.  Guess they got started much earlier than usual to beat the heat!  

The town website says you must have trash out by 6:00am to insure pickup. We always put ours out night before, but I bet they’re getting phone calls!

17 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I know it's minor, but still, Made In China.

IMG_2083.jpg

We had some of these plastic shelf supports years ago. I would recommend anyone that has them throw them away and get the metal ones. I never thought about it since they were in our new house with no problems for a few years. One day I was putting the dishes up from the dish washer when one let go and dumped the plates (both sizes) and bowls onto the counter top and gouged it and broke about half our dishes . Lesson learned on these.  

10 hours ago, TonyK said:

Smoke alarm going berzerk at 5 am today.  [...]

That is Murphy's Law #89.  Never fails, can't happen when it's convenient.

8 hours ago, espo said:

We had some of these plastic shelf supports years ago. I would recommend anyone that has them throw them away and get the metal ones. [...]

Good point.  UV rays degrades plastic in AZ like crazy.

15 hours ago, TonyK said:

Smoke alarm going berzerk at 5 am today. Of course it's the one in our upstairs bedroom with a vaulted ceiling so I have to run out to the garage and get the ladder. Luckily I'm up early in the morning but the wife is still asleep. Unhooking the alarm I see a little spider run across it so guessing that's what set if off.

One of our dogs gets really upset when this happens and pants and shakes and it takes a while to calm her down. The other dog just watches the activities.

A spider built a web inside our light switch from both wires and turned the light on. Switch would not work until web was removed…

3 hours ago, slusher said:

A spider built a web inside our light switch from both wires and turned the light on. Switch would not work until web was removed…

That's odd. I would not expect spider web (type of silk?) to be conductive, or if it was, even to carry enough current to keep the lights on.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

That's odd. I would not expect spider web (type of silk?) to be conductive, or if it was, even to carry enough current to keep the lights on.

Yeah, or how does the spider not get electrocuted while making that connection?

We had a motion sensor in the area of our front door in the alarm system at our old home.  Spiders seem to like corners to spin their webs and this would sometimes set of the hose alarm. This usually happened mid-day when we were both at work and the PD would be dispatched by the alarm company to check on the house. It was becoming a real problem as you can imagine. 

Young guy about 20,  shoulder length hair, mini back pack walking through the neighborhood with his dog about 5 pm yesterday.  Dog was a lab pup, nice looking dog and acted pretty intelligent for a young dog  Saw them around the corner from my house with dog resting in the shade of a fence.  I drove around the block to park across the street from my house - I have been watering my lawn a lot to get grass seed started in some bare spots.  They have reached my yard and the dog is walking across my lawn - kind of get annoyed for a moment thinking oh great, he's going to let the dog do its business in my yard...  Then I realize what's happening and the dog is the smart one.  It's been 80 degrees and it's just too hot to walk on the street or sidewalk,

I talk to the guy and say "you are hurting your dog."  He says "what"  "your dog can't walk on the hot street"  He says "we just took a rest"   "I know, I saw you around the corner"  I explain rest is not a problem  but heat is hurting his dog. We discuss it a bit and they move on. 

Really a case of dumb owner with smart dog. I don't think he realized that I cared more about the dog than him.  I'm not a dog owner, but I like other people's dogs.

I go in the house and get the infrared thermometer.  Concrete in the shade in my driveway is 100 degrees.  Asphalt in the shade is 108, concrete sidewalk is 120 in the sun.  Asphalt in the street is 130.  Fifty degrees more than the air temperature!  I drove around the neighborhood looking for them, but didn't see them.

It was 80 degrees yesterday,  it will be over 100 for three days this weekend.

I saw much the same thing a few years ago in a gas station. The guy at the pumps in front of me had a big dog in the back of his black pickup truck. This was in the middle of the summer and at least 90 degrees plus. The dumb so and so couldn't fathom that the black steel bed of his truck would be a problem for his dog. I invited him to place the open palm of his hand on the bed floor and asked him to see how long he could hold it there. His poor dog looked like he was tap dancing trying to keep his paws in the air and off the bed floor. He did finally let the dog into the cab of the truck after that. 

9 hours ago, slusher said:

6 hours ago, peteski said:

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Yeah, or how does the spider not get electrocuted while making that connection?

1 hour ago, espo said:

We had a motion sensor in the area of our front door in the alarm system at our old home.  Spiders seem to like corners to spin their webs and this would sometimes set of the hose alarm. This usually happened mid-day when we were both at work and the PD would be dispatched by the alarm company to check on the house. It was becoming a real problem as you can imagine. 

Spider webs can cause all kinds of problems. Does anyone remember the Mazda recall due to spider webs restricting the flow of fuel vapors? 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15366416/car-achnophobia-ii-spiders-force-second-mazda-6-recall-for-cracked-fuel-tanks/

2 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Spider webs can cause all kinds of problems. Does anyone remember the Mazda recall due to spider webs restricting the flow of fuel vapors? 

Absolutely!  But in that incident was blocking the air/vapor flow. That makes sense. Electric conductivity was not the problem.  Like I mentioned, I just don't understand how a silk web could conduct electricity to cause a short (shunt the current across a switch) where lights couldn't be turned off).

My son is going to Lake Erie with the school's fishing club.  Considered renting a car until the reservation page had their cheapest ride (Mitsubishi Mirage) at $100/day, even booking it a week ahead of time.  Seriously?  

17 hours ago, HomerS said:

My son is going to Lake Erie with the school's fishing club.  Considered renting a car until the reservation page had their cheapest ride (Mitsubishi Mirage) at $100/day, even booking it a week ahead of time.  Seriously?  

I have heard of people going to vacation spots and finding the best rental vehicles are at U-Haul. That's right, people are renting a van or pickup at U-Haul for a fraction of what a Hurtz or Avis and Budget get for a nothing compact car.