Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

4 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

How do retirees figure in?  In Prescott it's the same with all big jacked up trucks, brand don't matter.  Add the Left Lane Lemmings.

The retired folks usually do pretty good, but you do get the random Granny Seaweed Buick Roadmaster with the back window full of stuffed animals doing 45 on the interstate. Around here, they're more of a problem in city traffic then the interstate.

9 hours ago, espo said:

If they are that afraid of hiway traffic they shouldn't be on the freeway. They usually become a mobile road block and everyone has to change lanes to get around them and that disrupts the traffic flow in all the other lanes increasing the chances of an accident with everyone trying to avoid them.    

You're right. If people don't know how to drive on interstates and freeways, fine, they should stay off of them. There are always other routes. What irritates me is when a slow driver hogs the left lane. I'm glad that my elderly aunt is sensible, she refuses to drive over 45 MPH no matter what so she never enters an interstate freeway. The alternate route is a four lane, congested highway with a posted speed limit of 45 MPH. Due to congestion, good luck on ever reaching 45 though. But she is happy and safe there. 

9 minutes ago, John1955 said:

You're right. If people don't know how to drive on interstates and freeways, fine, they should stay off of them. There are always other routes. What irritates me is when a slow driver hogs the left lane. I'm glad that my elderly aunt is sensible, she refuses to drive over 45 MPH no matter what so she never enters an interstate freeway. The alternate route is a four lane, congested highway with a posted speed limit of 45 MPH. Due to congestion, good luck on ever reaching 45 though. But she is happy and safe there. 

Interstates in New Hampshire have minimum speed posted, just like on this sign.

1200px-Speed_Limit_65_Minimum_45_sign.svg.png

So I guess you could get ticketed for going too slow.  I don't have that problem.  Funny, I never seen minimum speed limit posted in Massachusetts. But in Mass the overhead electronic billboards on the highways sometimes remind drivers that the left lane is for passing only - not a travel lane.

Speakign of irks, today I pull out from a side street onto a main 2-lane street (posted limit 40 MPH).  There was a Jeep approaching but was far back more than enough (probably 20 or more car-lengths) that i pulled out onto the main road, and started accelerating. He was not going very fast either -  probably the speed limit. It is not like I cut him off. He was safely in the distance.

Well, that assclown started speed up to catch up to me. I speeded up  (quite a bit over the speed limit - road was clear ahead), and he kept closing up on me.   I never let him catch up to me.  He ended up taking a right onto a side street. This is  not the first time I have encountered this type of behavior. As if me getting ahead of them is some sort of persona insult?  I suppose I could understand if I pulled out in front of him, then drove really slow. But no, I accelerated to way faster than the speed limit, and he kept on closing on me.  Some people suck!

ROAD CONSTRUCTION. Interstate 77 through my county in NC has been under construction for almost two years and the "suggested" finish date is 8-10 months away. The work is atrocious, new concrete is rougher than the old stuff,  But the real problem is the congestion, I-77 is one of the major arteries from north to south.  To help alleviate some of the problem, there are electronic signs advising alternate routes, which only makes my trip into town worse, because I have avoided the interstate like the plague.  Now I have to contend with heavy truck traffic on a two-lane highway that was not designed for it, and that is the route the 45 mph crawlers like to take into town. Yesterday I came back down the south side of the interstate, which right now is open, and watched an eight-mile backup of two lanes of trucks and cars on the northbound side, to say it was crawling would be an exaggeration.  So far there have been 12 fatalities in nine accidents since this construction started. Sure would like to have a helicopter at my disposal.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:39 AM, peteski said:

Interstates in New Hampshire have minimum speed posted, just like on this sign.

1200px-Speed_Limit_65_Minimum_45_sign.svg.png

In Pennsylvania, I-70 and I-79 used to have signs like that and they did ticket drivers who drove slower that 45 (except heavily loaded trucks of course). It was also illegal to pass using the right lane (a stupid law). In this state, apparently the department of transportation has nothing better to do than to change the rules constantly. Even the state police are probably confused. At one time, they even posted signs giving different speed limits for each lane and semi's weren't allowed in the left lane at all. And another time, they posted signs warning motorists to slow down, that the speed limit was only 20 MPH on the next exit. However, the signs weren't even close to the exits! 

12 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

ROAD CONSTRUCTION. Interstate 77 through my county in NC has been under construction for almost two years and the "suggested" finish date is 8-10 months away. The work is atrocious, new concrete is rougher than the old stuff,  But the real problem is the congestion, I-77 is one of the major arteries from north to south.  To help alleviate some of the problem, there are electronic signs advising alternate routes, which only makes my trip into town worse, because I have avoided the interstate like the plague.  Now I have to contend with heavy truck traffic on a two-lane highway that was not designed for it, and that is the route the 45 mph crawlers like to take into town. Yesterday I came back down the south side of the interstate, which right now is open, and watched an eight-mile backup of two lanes of trucks and cars on the northbound side, to say it was crawling would be an exaggeration.  So far there have been 12 fatalities in nine accidents since this construction started. Sure would like to have a helicopter at my disposal.

I hear you. A few years ago, construction detours routed motorists off the major interstates and right through the main streets of small towns! Imagine my small town's Main Street with tractor trailer trucks suddenly on it, it caused chaos and stores lost business. About ten years ago, traffic was detoured off of the major highway right into downtown Pittsburgh! 

Wow I really started a traffic rant!

Change of topic.. I’ve been power washing and what’s really driving me nutz is how the power cord, the hose and spray hose all attack and intertwine like sparring snakes🐍 !

No matter how I try to separate them, next time I look down, there’s the friggin tangle again! And the kicker.. the Ryobi power washer cord and spray hose are listed as “no tangle”.  But there they are with tangles and kinks!  💥😝😮

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow I really started a traffic rant!

Change of topic.. I’ve been power washing and what’s really driving me nutz is how the power cord, the hose and spray hose all attack and intertwine like sparring snakes🐍 !

No matter how I try to separate them, next time I look down, there’s the friggin tangle again! And the kicker.. the Ryobi power washer cord and spray hose are listed as “no tangle”.  But there they are with tangles and kinks!  💥😝😮

Tom, I have been in my house for 20 years and for 18 of them I use a chemical sprayer and a garden hose.  Spray a wall down with 50 percent bleach 50 percent water then rinse off.  My wife helped a few times but I have a lot smaller house and no ladder involved.  Chemical sprayer can spray real high. This year I hired it done..

my goodness, i tried to list a model on ebay to sell. i got all the way through the listing until the end and its asking for my social security number. im not giving ebay my social. please. im not a business and and me listing one lousy kit, that i might break even on. i would rather keep it

7 hours ago, youpey said:

my goodness, i tried to list a model on ebay to sell. i got all the way through the listing until the end and its asking for my social security number. im not giving ebay my social. please. im not a business and and me listing one lousy kit, that i might break even on. i would rather keep it

You can always sell kits on a Facebooks group.  

5 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Went to get my haircut earlier, the girl cutting my hair said "you have a lot of gray hair for someone your age", then upon checkout she gave me the senior discount. :(  I'm only 42. 

I've been trying to get a discount on my hair cuts since I now only have half of my original head of hair.  

6 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Went to get my haircut earlier, the girl cutting my hair said "you have a lot of gray hair for someone your age", then upon checkout she gave me the senior discount. :(  I'm only 42. 

Sigh!  It’s like when I was hosting new college grad engineers at work… it was my birthday and one asked how old I was gonna be.  I quipped 82 and nobody laughed!

19 hours ago, slusher said:

Why does the cable company always make needed upgrade maintenance when I am watching a movie.  🍿   The cut both internet and tv both off for hours…..

That sucks,call them,can u switch users?

i ordered grocery delivery. i picked 2 heads of lettuce. instead of giving me 2 heads they gave me a 2 boxes of precut up lettuce that is probably equivalent to 1/2 of one head...at 8 dollars...and the lettuce was already wilting 

i guess i need to go to the grocery store again...

Edited by youpey

Had to make a trip today that normally takes me about 90 minutes, round trip. Got stuck in a five-mile accident backup on the interstate, the trip ended up taking 3 and a quarter hours. The five-mile backup was 7 miles on the way back (now in the other lanes, of course) and last time I checked on the net, the area still wasn't flowing. But I consider myself lucky--reportedly there was at least one fatality in this crash and seeing the "roadster SUV" parked UNDER a semi-trailer, I believe it. :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Had to make a trip today that normally takes me about 90 minutes, round trip. Got stuck in a five-mile accident backup on the interstate, the trip ended up taking 3 and a quarter hours. The five-mile backup was 7 miles on the way back (now in the other lanes, of course) and last time I checked on the net, the area still wasn't flowing. But I consider myself lucky--reportedly there was at least one fatality in this crash and seeing the "roadster SUV" parked UNDER a semi-trailer, I believe it. :unsure:

many years ago i was visiting boston from nj. somewhere in conneticut we were sitting in traffic for about 2 hours slowly crawling along. when we finally get to the accident, it was on the other side of the highway. it was just people being nosey that stopped us. granted it was a horrible accident, but not that it should stop traffic on the other side

I could have been killed today.  This intersection is where I have to do a U-turn to get to my street, I sit there often watching vehicles come at me.  But today I was going straight.  Light turned red for me, so the left-turn to Robin Dr. could go.  The one car went, then I saw a big drywall truck come bombing down that left-turn lane, I was wondering how he was going to turn without tipping over.  Instead, he went straight across into the empty left-turn lane that I occupy many times! 😳  He managed to get stopped, then got turned around, and then turned onto Robin.  I told him that I use that left-turn lane all the time, was glad I wasn't there.  Huge asbestos smoke was billowing, he said the brakes failed, no kidding.  I couldn't really get mad at him, he thought quick and didn't cause a nasty wreck.  But like wow, I'm a lucky BLAHstard!
IMG_2130.jpg.38ae9a42695455c9efce574e2164f833.jpg
897688617_Google69Robin.jpg.00c05fba11ae8550a30573e7902e0e3c.jpg

Little irk, Google labeling Turquise, not correct name, and misspelled. 🤨