Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

our neighbor in the apartment next to ours got spoken to by the landlord for having the american flag hanging from a small flagpole on our shared entrance. They were also told they have to remove any hanging plants from the entrance as well. There seems to be a new rule that no flags or anything hanging from tge entrances. 

Not Sure what happened, last time something like this happened someone knocked over their lit bbq and caused a fire,so no more bbqs were allowed. 

I say this because he was knocking on doors instead of leaving letters in mailbox like normal 

Edited by youpey

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

But I consider myself lucky--reportedly there was at least one fatality in this crash and seeing the "roadster SUV" parked UNDER a semi-trailer, I believe it. :unsure:

A bit similar to the first fatal accident following the beginning of construction on I-77. A rig loaded with lumber had stopped in the line of traffic, the driver of the rig behind him dropped his cell phone and was trying to find it and piled into the back of the first rig at speed.  Of course a fire erupted.  When the rescue people arrived they discovered a Dodge pickup jammed between the two rigs.  That accident kept traffic backed up for the better part of the day, the northbound lanes were finally cleared for one lane around 6:30 pm, the accident happened around 10:00 am. Still trying to figure out why the second driver had his cell phone out.

So unusually hot weather here in Canada over the past week. Has been hovering around 40 degrees C all week, so 10 degrees warmer that usual. 

Wednesday night, the fan in our furnace decided to pack it in. SO no more pumping the AC through the house, or even giving us a slight breeze from the vents. 

Luckily, our HVAC guy is awesome. Came over yesterday (on Canada Day) to diagnose the issue. Everything closed yesterday, so he was picking up the new blower motor this monring and repairing this morning.

Our thermostat was reading 33 degrees C indoors yesterday afternoon.

Ugh.

Anyway, HVAC guy has already texted me and he has the new part and is on his way to repair it now.

Haven't been able to get any bench time in over the past week, as the garage is too hot to be comfortable. Maybe this weekend, And there's rain in the forecast for Sunday and the temps are supposed to be back to normal. 

Nice to hear things are getting fixed faster than you'd expect. I wonder what's worse, breaking down during the hot spell or breaking down during your Edmonton winters?

btw, I can relate to your modeling in the garage as that's where I do mine. I build at 4-6 am when it's cooler.

Last night a lady planted her car in a pole on our property. Thankfully she's o.k. but the car is junk and so are the Tiger Lillies I just planted around the pole. Power was out for about 2 hours & it was HOT last night.

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_2760.JPEG

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

Nice to hear things are getting fixed faster than you'd expect. I wonder what's worse, breaking down during the hot spell or breaking down during your Edmonton winters?

btw, I can relate to your modeling in the garage as that's where I do mine. I build at 4-6 am when it's cooler.

Oh, non-functioning AC in a heatwave is much better than a non-functioning furnace in a coldsnap!

I know Hobby Lobby isn't a one stop for all store for our hobby. It's usually just the same stuff as always. And I know they don't really cater to the plastic model hobbyist. But this is just disappointing. On the other hand, they are starting to stock some Gunze GSI products. I picked up a couple of cans of the Surfacer 1500 spray.

20210702_135144.jpg

20210702_135120.jpg

Just as operators of multi axle rigs need a special license I think the operators of some of these vehicles on the road today also need to have a special testing for an operators license since they can't seem to keep them between the lines on the road or the parking lots.  Then again parking lots are designed as if everyone is driving an early Honda Civic. 

My wife and I are driving up the highway to our favorite restaurant.  We see emergency lights coming the other way, an ambulance trying to get through traffic. We all stop and wait per the law. Light turns red anyway since I believe they are tied into emergency vehicles. 

Young idiot behind me decides to honk and flail his arms around. Then he sees me looking at him in my rear view window and gives me the finger. Screw him!

Went to the bank today to do what should have been a simple transfer of funds between accounts. Not entirely routine, but shouldn't have been a HUGE problem. Evidently it was--it took over an hour. Fortunately I took a magazine to read during the slow periods. Luckily the place was otherwise empty and I used the opportunity to make light of the situation with the tellers and manager. For example, I noticed my teller had the title "Universal Banker" on his cards and nameplates. The snag came with dealing with Bank of America. I eventually said, "Well, there's the problem. You're a UNIVERSAL Banker. This jamoke's a Bank of AMERICA banker. He's not on your level. He's not a Galactic Banker, or a Solar System banker, or even a World Banker, he's just a lowly peon Bank of America NATIONAL Banker. No wonder he can't keep up with this deal!" That got a laugh. When it finally went through, I told my guy, "Look at the bright side: Whoever you're having dinner with tonight, you're gonna have a GREAT story to tell them." "Yeah that's true" he laughed. Oh well, eventually we GOTTER DONE. I think. Oh yes, I kept all the receipts:lol:

Ordered a fairly expensive tilt shift camera lens to upgrade from my current one. It shows up today, I open the box and it's damaged. Hardly any packing material between the two boxes. This thing must've been dropped off a 10 story building. Email the business and explain what happened and how poorly the item was packed. You'd think on a $2500 piece of equipment they'd pack it a little better, especially something as fragile as a DSLR lens.

At least they sent me a return shipping label within an hour of me sending the email and it's on the way back to them. Now I just need to find another lens! Supply chain issues have hit the camera industry as well.

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Went to the bank today to do what should have been a simple transfer of funds between accounts. Not entirely routine, but shouldn't have been a HUGE problem. Evidently it was--it took over an hour. Fortunately I took a magazine to read during the slow periods. Luckily the place was otherwise empty and I used the opportunity to make light of the situation with the tellers and manager. For example, I noticed my teller had the title "Universal Banker" on his cards and nameplates. The snag came with dealing with Bank of America. I eventually said, "Well, there's the problem. You're a UNIVERSAL Banker. This jamoke's a Bank of AMERICA banker. He's not on your level. He's not a Galactic Banker, or a Solar System banker, or even a World Banker, he's just a lowly peon Bank of America NATIONAL Banker. No wonder he can't keep up with this deal!" That got a laugh. When it finally went through, I told my guy, "Look at the bright side: Whoever you're having dinner with tonight, you're gonna have a GREAT story to tell them." "Yeah that's true" he laughed. Oh well, eventually we GOTTER DONE. I think. Oh yes, I kept all the receipts:lol:

my brother in law had a huge problem with bank of america when his father died. he needed to close the accounts and get into the safety deposit box. he kept filling out and faxing all these different forms they required, however it seemed that it was never the "right" form, even though they were sending him the forms to fill out. i think it took close to 3 months to get it resolved from the first time he contacted them. 

my wife said she wants to switch banks because of it. 

46 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

my brother in law had a huge problem with bank of america when his father died. he needed to close the accounts and get into the safety deposit box. he kept filling out and faxing all these different forms they required, however it seemed that it was never the "right" form, even though they were sending him the forms to fill out. i think it took close to 3 months to get it resolved from the first time he contacted them. 

my wife said she wants to switch banks because of it. 

Unfortunately this is as much a problem of estate planning as it is banking.  Banks are by design, intended from keeping others from gaining access to your money.  When you are no longer with us then the red tape starts.  This can be solved with a basic estate planning tool known as a trust.  That means that the successor trustee has access to all your affairs if they are owned by the trust.  The trust documents have a succession of trustee statement that precludes and the bank scuffle.  By the way, this is very important to married couples to have so if one partner dies or is mentally incompetent the other continues as the trustee.  Otherwise you have to go through the courts to claim property that is jointly owned and if you think the banks are sticklers for forms, try the court system out! 

Edited by Pete J.

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

my brother in law had a huge problem with bank of america when his father died.he kept filling out and faxing all these different forms they required, however it seemed that it was never the "right" form, even though they were sending him the forms to fill out.

I believe it. The BoA idiot on the phone asked my teller to put me on, then asked me all kinds of questions including my home address (okay, understandable), the nearest cross street (WTF?) and "a recent car you have owned or leased" (WTWTF???? :blink: :angry:). Eventually he asked me for my drivers license number. Finally I said to him, "You DO realize that I'm not gonna actually take all this money over to my house, don't you? But if you were planning to show up and rob me, Come On Down, 'cause I am TOTALLY set up to deal with THAT scenario." This cracked my teller up. :lol:

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’ve been a loyal Bank of America customer for over 30 years. Recently they screwed me over big time. I’m not posting it here but I will be leaving them at my first opportunity.

Most of the big banks are getting dooshier by the day. I worked for CitiBank from early 2013 to late 2018, almost five full years. When I first started it was a GREAT place to work, they really took care of their people and encouraged them to enjoy the job and have a lot of fun. And it was that way for almost four years. The last year became increasingly hellish with every day that passed; they raised production quotas to unrealistic levels and let quality go completely to hell, ironically while measuring "quality" by completely meaningless and nonsensical standards, and it seemed that they were trying to stamp out any job enjoyment or fun anywhere they could find some. Morale dropped below zero. By the time my department was laid off in late 2018, every one of us was glad to be out of there. (Quite a few had taken opportunities to bail early, as we all knew it was coming.) 

Speaking of big banks, I worked for Wells Fargo in software development for a couple of years a decade ago in Arizona.  Horrible place to work.  A lot of poorly documented, poorly implemented systems.  65-75 hr work weeks.  Production support calls in the middle of the night.    Incompetent management, and literal death marches—on a team of 25 people—there were 3 heart attacks (one fatal) in 6 months.  I left after that and went someplace worse that paid better. 

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’ve been a loyal Bank of America customer for over 30 years. Recently they screwed me over big time. I’m not posting it here but I will be leaving them at my first opportunity.

I have been with BofA for 40 years. So far,no problems...... so far.