Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Ordered a limited edition print of a Dan Gurney F1 car and a book from the Petersen Museum. It arrived to day. The goods were well packaged, but Fedex managed to drop something along the lines of an anvil on it. The print, which was in a sturdy mailing tube was creased and the book had some new wrinkles too. I don't know how Fedex managed to do this, but they did. 

Dropped a line to the Petersen today, and they're getting on making a claim and sending me replacements. They rock. 

Many have posted problems with FedeX shipping myself included. They used to be pretty good about handling shipments but not anymore it would seem. When ordering something that has to be shipped I try and get who ever is shipping to me to use some other source even if you have to pay a little extra, just to save the brain damage.   

We've all learned how transitory things are in this hobby.  Kits and related products appear, some never to be seen again.

To that end, I'd been buying and storing various Testors spray paints over the years, knowing that some of them would have shorter sales availability than others.

The other day I was digging through the stash (stored in clear Sterilite drawer-boxes) in search of a color that would be optimal for a project on the bench.  It was beyond disheartening to see so many Testors cans with some kind of goo that had oozed out at the lower end.  The Tamiya and Odds & Ends cans are still in perfect shape.  

I wonder if some of these Testors cans would still have enough pressure to decant them.  

About a month ago I had a pair of carbs molded together to fit on a specific manifold. I needed them separated to use on a different one… my last 53 Ford pickup project.

As I was cutting them apart, one went flying up over my shoulder and towards my trash pail!   Of course it was near full. And from past experience small parts wind up going all the way to the bottom. Argh!

So yesterday was finally the day to go fishing! I dumped the pail (actually an old cardboard beer 30 can box) into my garden cart. Then I spent probably a half hour picking through and putting everything into a trash bag. Got through it all and guess what? No carb! 

I did use different carbs on my project so I don’t have a pressing need, but it still ticks me off!  I know it’s somewhere in the model room and will show up someday!

40 minutes ago, Monty said:

We've all learned how transitory things are in this hobby.  Kits and related products appear, some never to be seen again.

To that end, I'd been buying and storing various Testors spray paints over the years, knowing that some of them would have shorter sales availability than others.

The other day I was digging through the stash (stored in clear Sterilite drawer-boxes) in search of a color that would be optimal for a project on the bench.  It was beyond disheartening to see so many Testors cans with some kind of goo that had oozed out at the lower end.  The Tamiya and Odds & Ends cans are still in perfect shape.  

I wonder if some of these Testors cans would still have enough pressure to decant them.  

I've had some do that. I believe I actually went on to use at least one of them normally. It seems in at least some cases the goo oozes out, dries, and seals up the leak. Good luck with yours. 

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Even if there is no pressure left in it at all… you can shake it up well, puncture it and pour out the contents to use in an airbrush. Also works for cans that are hopelessly plugged (caution required)!

Edit: Puncturing any can should be done above the fluid level and very carefully to allow all pressure to escape before further opening of the can.

Edited by NOBLNG

7 hours ago, Monty said:

The "goo" is likely the paint's binder -- the stuff that dries as a film holding the pigment (color) together.  So even if the paint is usable, it might not be as good as new.

First check for pressure. You can tell by squeezing the can and see if the metal gives in easily.  If there is no (or little) pressure in the can, shake it really well (to mix whatever is still in the can), then make hole in the can.  I would lay the can flat and make a small hole at the top of the side wall, close to the bottom end.  That way if there is any residual pressure, it will be released without squirting the paint. Next, while the can is still lying on its side, open up that hole.  You can use the old fashion juice can opener for that to make a large triangular hole.  Then drain and save the remaining paint.

Of course do  this at your won risk, preferably outdoors.

Filthy swamp-east weather.

It's been overcast, pissy-dribble-raining, with humidity over 90% for weeks.

This is the mildew, mold, rot, rust, and bug capitol of the "civilized" world.

If I needed a reminder of why I'm spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to move to the desert, this nasty summer sure as jell has been it.

Decomposition: Bread Mold

Got a.notice from pge that our power was going to be off last night from 11am to 5am. Get up 6:30 this morning and no power. Go online no update on expected power restoration. Power just came back on. Now 8:45am I understand that the maintenence took longer but it annoys me that they didn't text saying there was a delay or provide info online. Got some coffee going and working to get my morning rituals back on track.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:31 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

Ordered a limited edition print of a Dan Gurney F1 car and a book from the Petersen Museum. It arrived to day. The goods were well packaged, but Fedex managed to drop something along the lines of an anvil on it. The print, which was in a sturdy mailing tube was creased and the book had some new wrinkles too. I don't know how Fedex managed to do this, but they did. 

Dropped a line to the Petersen today, and they're getting on making a claim and sending me replacements. They rock. 

Got the replacement. Damaged the same way. Is there a special machine that stomps packages they don't like? First Fedex, now the Postal Service. Come to think of it, I think the USPS contracts out some operations to Fedex. Say what you will about Amazon, but I don't have these kinds of issues with shipments they handle. (Now I wonder if this wasn't part of their motivation for starting their own deliveries.)

Roberto from The Petersen has been so nice and helpful that it was painful writing the damaged-shipment email. Poor guy deserves better. 

47 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Got the replacement. Damaged the same way. Is there a special machine that stomps packages they don't like? First Fedex, now the Postal Service.

I did FedEx deliveries for about a year and a half at a Ground/Home terminal (Express was a different terminal). The Ground were delivered in UPS type trucks and the home was done in smaller vans. Ground trucks were loaded by FedEx line workers and Home drivers loaded their own vans.

I did see a lot of packages that weren't treated kindly. It is also possible that depending on your location on the route things may have shifted once there were less packages in the vehicle. That could happen too. More driver neglect than abuse.

I'm debating now about a purchase I would like to make as I know it will be shipped FedEx. The only shipment I've gotten from them since I moved here last year came in good shape. It was an air compressor, about 50 pounds. I met the driver at the end of my driveway, not a long distance to my garage, and he was kind enough to let me carry it so he could go on his way:huh:. He was about 30, I'm 66. I was just glad to get it in one piece.

I generally haven't had many issues w/ the carriers...Fed Ex I usually use for overseas orders from Hobby Link Japan and others, and Home Depot home delivery (free delivery is nice).   Got a couple boxes today w/ small boxwood shrubberies to plant along my back fence, one box was pretty smashed but the shrub was fine.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Dave. Sorry it happened to you not once, but twice and with two different carriers. Hopefully third time will be a charm! Sad it has to come to that though.

Maybe it will ship UPS and get there OK:lol:

Edited by DPNM

Last week I got notice that an eBay package was coming UPS that day. I see the UPS truck at the curb. He was there an unusually long time so I walked out there.  The guy sees me and admits he should have a package for me, but it isn’t in the truck!  I figure I’ll get it the next day but later on it was near my garage door.

Having packages get lost on the truck isn't anything new either Tom. At least you got it that day. Good for you.

I grabbed the FedEx sticker off the box my compressor was shipped in and I can tell you how to read it.label.jpg.2f39c3bcd8b861c74af6a0e9575a8b33.jpg

Please note that I was a Home driver and my van did not have a side door. They may be packed differently.

That said, the number 625 is the driver route number. This is the location in the warehouse this vehicle would be loaded at. The route numbers were painted on the floor.

The 3587 is the area the stop would be made in. Their system goes from 1000/1500 to 9000/9500 typically. When I loaded my van the 9000/9500s would go in the nose, behind the driver. I would then place the 8s, 7s etc with the 1000s on the tail. The 1000s were the first stops.

Going by this sticker my stop was in the first 1/3rd of this drivers deliveries that day.

Hope this helps.

I would think UPS has a similar system.

I had one last week I caught on my Ring cameras as it was being left—FedEx driver left one of the dry ice containers from Omaha Steaks and I ran out to the truck before they left, was for a house down the street..driver had transposed 2 digits of the house number.  

Theres a rusty spot on my cooker top thats been annoying me, so this morning i bought a tin of white stove enamel. I got it all treated with some rust eater we use on the boat, and the paint said to use with out primer. It laid down nice and smooth but now 2 hours after painting it, its turning pink!! So now to fix it I'm going to have to get someone to remove the top for me so I can paint the whole top. Interetingly though, the paint on my hands has stayed white

im loosing the battle to bermuda grass in my back lawn.  stuffs taking over a third of the lawn.  had to do some spot spraying.  thanks to it being summer and being in a drought it's going to be a few months before i can replant, which means ill be fighting more bermuda grass in a couple months.

lawns man.  rewarding when they look nice.  but they're a total pain in the ass sometimes.