Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Trying to paint some small parts last few days and if I grip anything between my index finger and thumb of my left hand I get a constant rhythmic twitch.

Have to clamp in in something and hold it with my whole fist or tack it to a piece of sprue and stick it in a styrafoam block.🤨

4 hours ago, High octane said:

At my age I seldom get irked, however today a package was delivered and left on our door step and the driver was not smart enough to ring our doorbell even though the package had "DRY ICE" markings on it. This has also been done with meds delivered to our house packed in dry ice as well. Are these jar heads that stupid not to realize it's the middle of summer and these packages do NOT need to sit out side in the hot weather or what??? It's a good thing that they're not working for me.

I put in a Ring doorbell just for that reason.

Two flat tires in one day.

I've put off buying new ones for the #2 truck until I get the front end aligned (after a moron ran me off the road and down an embankment a couple years back, then lied to the cops at the scene and lied to the judge...for which he paid dearly).

In the interim, I've been using up my stash of old dry-rotted takeoffs.

They don't call 'em "Maypops" for nothing.   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 7/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, Snake45 said:

Update: there seemed to be some problem getting management to sign off on the replacement part (@$45) but Customer Service finally gotter done and shipped the part to me Tuesday; it arrived today and seems to be good. Will try to test tomorrow morning and then hopefully will be posting about this thing in the "What Pleased You Today" thread. B)

Update: The replacement part didn't work either. Or perhaps (more probably) the whole main unit is defective in some way. Notified their Customer Service that we'll be talking Monday about them issuing me a Fed Ex pickup to return the whole mess for replacement (with a TESTED, known-good unit) or a complete refund. I'm not expecting any problem, they've been good people to work with so far. But I guess we'll see....:unsure:

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Good luck. I hope they just send you a new one that has been tested so you don't have a repeat of this.

Their competitor sells the same thing for the same price and has a service where they'll test it before shipment for $10. I already told the vendor that if they won't sent me a KNOWN GOOD replacement, I'll just take a full refund and order from the other other guys, who actually already owe me a $10 credit anyway. I'll get this all worked out one way or the other, I'm not in a big hurry. It's just a PITA to deal with. 

The back and forth information about this virus problem. For the past several weeks I've been reading about the Delta variant and how all the unvaccinated people are getting it and not the vaccinated ones. Now this morning I read that 3/4 of people who have got the variant were vaccinated. Which is it?!

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

The back and forth information about this virus problem. For the past several weeks I've been reading about the Delta variant and how all the unvaccinated people are getting it and not the vaccinated ones. Now this morning I read that 3/4 of people who have got the variant were vaccinated. Which is it?!

Don't expect factual information from most of the media. A lot of 'em have no clue as to what reality actually is, and most of the rest just don't care.

EDIT: This is NOT politics, by the way. It's simple truth no matter what the issue is.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I know the frustration a lot of us feel. But, we decided a while back that we wouldn't be discussing COVID-19 on this forum. I will say that in any situation like this, our understanding evolves as new data becomes available. That's normal and you just have to roll with it. 

• Like 1

There needs to be a special place in hell for cable companies. Ours is trying to force people off their legacy digital platform to their new platform by slowly eroding and sabotaging the old system. Started pre pandemic when sport channels were downgraded from HD to SD. Earlier this month they removed the year of the program from the channel guide. Now you can't tell what season an episode is from or if a movie is the original or remake. Today I'm no longer "authorized to view" Fox Sports Racing after having it for years.

Finally got two new chairs we had ordered from Laz E Boy. The two guys set them up in the living room. #1 guy gets his done and has use sign off on the chairs and is out the door. #2 guy is having trouble getting the seat back installed then gets up and almost runs to the truck where #1 is waiting with the motor running. My wife notices the seat back looks like it's back an inch or more than the other chair. They're gone and we have to call customer service. Not what I would call them but that's the name they go by. We're told it will be the end of Aug. before they can get someone out to look at the chairs. May be the last time we ever buy anything from Laz E Boy. Now I think I know why they wanted all their money up front before they delivered the chairs. Looking at the attachment brackets it looks as if they were not installed in the same place on the one chair. 

17 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

There needs to be a special place in hell for cable companies. Ours is trying to force people off their legacy digital platform to their new platform by slowly eroding and sabotaging the old system. Started pre pandemic when sport channels were downgraded from HD to SD. Earlier this month they removed the year of the program from the channel guide. Now you can't tell what season an episode is from or if a movie is the original or remake. Today I'm no longer "authorized to view" Fox Sports Racing after having it for years.

I fully agree with you!!  Time Warner sent me to collections over $10 because of their billing error.  I wrote a nastygram when I sent the notice back to the collection company and a copy to Time Warner....ended up getting a $20 check.  Every Saturday when their sales rep interrupted my quiet weekend, I gave them an earful!

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

So I'm out in the yard doing some weeding in some cooler and breezy weather.  I go over to the shop to get a mint candy and come out to a storm.  So much for weeding today.

Weeds come out much easier after a rain. I use a product called Pro Duce. Spray it once and good for months. My yards are all rock and weeding is a pain. This stuff has a yellow tint that the sunlight burns off and you can see where you didn't and did spray.

21 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

I have never had cable, but my mom did, so I'd see the changes in channels offered every year or so.  Did you ever fill out their surveys and tell them which programs you watched most often?  You can thank the idiots who actually filled those out and sent them in, as by doing that you're giving the cable company a blueprint for which channels to move over to the extra-cost packages next time around...

The USPS strikes again! Expecting a package yesterday and go to the cluster mail box and find a key to one of the big units. First of all, the key is marked #1 but that wouldn't work so tried #2 and found a small box for a neighbor on the other side of our loop. Took it over there.

In the mean time I have an email saying "Delivered". I'm guessing it's in one of the other locked boxes and just have to hope and pray there's an honest and kind neighbor that will bring it to me. Nothing yet.

Continuing with the USPS saga. Tracking a trade package, this is what I found on the USPS tracking website:

August 3, 2021, 7:44 pm
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
Your item departed our GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on August 3, 2021 at 7:44 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

August 3, 2021, 5:57 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

August 3, 2021, 12:04 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
GREENSBORO NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

August 3, 2021, 9:42 am

Notice it departed the GSO facility at 12:04 pm on Aug 3rd, then it arrived at the GSO facility at 5:57 pm on Aug 3rd, and departed again at 7:44 pm.  Guess they needed to bring the package back so they could play football with it a couple more hours.  This type ineptitude happens quite often at the GSO facility. BTW it did not reach the destination today.

Edited by TarheelRick

6 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Continuing with the USPS saga. Tracking a trade package, this is what I found on the USPS tracking website:

August 3, 2021, 7:44 pm
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
Your item departed our GREENSBORO NC NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on August 3, 2021 at 7:44 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

August 3, 2021, 5:57 pm

August 3, 2021, 12:04 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

August 3, 2021, 9:42 am

Notice it departed the GSO facility at 12:04 pm on Aug 3rd, then it arrived at the GSO facility at 5:57 pm on Aug 3rd, and departed again at 7:44 pm.  Guess they needed to bring the package back so they could play football with it a couple more hours.  This type ineptitude happens quite often at the GSO facility. BTW it did not reach the destination today.

Sorry to see that. Reasons like that are why I don't deal with usps for shipping, but in this case it's not your choice I see that . Sucks 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:37 AM, stitchdup said:

white pepper will stop the dogs doing their business mate, just scatter it over the yard and the dogs wont want to go

Great tip, thanks - I found some white pepper at the grocery store in the spice section.  Potent fragrance and smells bad... really bad, but I only had to put enough down in a small area for a dog to smell. Didn't affect the lawn. Been out there for a week and nothing left by the dogs

• Like 1

DMV......

Apparently the folks on the People of WalMart website hang out at the local DMV office!  

With their website being clear as mud, I had several forms of ID with me to renew my drivers license.  Of course I didn't have the one they required to get the drivers license to use to be able to fly....birth certificate.  The lady behind the counter said the requirement has been postponed until 2023.  I said can you be more specific.....January 2023?  December 2023??  May 2023.  Since the expiration was coming up and I may have flashbacks from the freak show I witnessed yesterday a.m., I said I will just renew the current one and get the upgraded one at a later date/time.  Less than a minute later, she said that the state now allows you to renew it good for eight years and did I want to do so.  The filter between the brain and mouth tapped out.  I said "did we NOT just have this conversation less than a minute ago!  Why would you even ask that??"

My tax dollars at work!!

A few years ago I renewed my license and gathered up all the required papers (birth certificate, current utility bill, and a couple of other things). They looked at none of them! Always wondered what someone does if they don't have their birth certificate. Also wonder why I need all that paperwork when I already have a license?! I'm still me and isn't your drivers license the "go to" for proof of who you are anyway?

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

A few years ago I renewed my license and gathered up all the required papers (birth certificate, current utility bill, and a couple of other things). They looked at none of them! Always wondered what someone does if they don't have their birth certificate. Also wonder why I need all that paperwork when I already have a license?! I'm still me and isn't your drivers license the "go to" for proof of who you are anyway?

I didn't have my birth certificate handy when I renewed my license last year, used my passport instead.  

I don't know if this is a Kansas thing, but when my wife went to renew her license, change the address and get the Gold Star so we can fly, she had to provide our marriage license as well. We have only been married since 1983. This was because her married name was different from her last name on her birth certificate ? and while born in Kansas we married when we were both living in California and they weren't to sure about those west coast people. The other problem was that since we moved she needed to prove that she lived at our new address. I had already gotten the car we were driving at the time registered at the new address, with no problems what so ever, and the person at the DMV used that as verification of home address since her name was also on the registration. Going to DMV can easily kill a day of your life you'll never get back.