Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Mopar dealers stock the last five years parts or so.  When I had my Breeze, it went back to the dealer on a shifter recall.  They said it was my starter and couldn't get one thru their network... said it would be a few weeks.  I told them I could see Pep Boys from their window and they had the starter.  They said they couldn't install a non-Mopar supplied part on the car.  Of course they were blaming me that the car was seven years old!   I dragged the car out of there, bought the starter at Pep Boys, installed it myself and lived happily ever after!

Tom, my Chrysler dealer will put what I want on my Doges unless they are under warranty and mine is under power train.   

My local Mopar dealer keeps bugging me to trade in my Jeep.  It's a 2014 w/ 51k miles, low for the age.  I checked Carvana and Vroom, they gave me  estimated prices of around $20k, which is surprising given the age.  A new one in the showroom (virtually identical spec to mine) is stickered at $49k.  

The Grand Cherokee hasn't changed much since 2014 (a slight facelift in '17), so mine doesn't really look old yet.  The all new one (WL) is in progress now (3 row for '21, 2 row for '22).   Maybe in a few years I'll trade on another CPO. 

17 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

It's easy. The Seller gave your item to UPS. Now, one of 2 things is supposed to happen.

It will bounce around in the UPS system until it gets to your nearest UPS terminal.

Then, UPS will either deliver it to you OR they will hand it off to USPS in your hometown and they will deliver it. There will be no USPS Tracking Number if UPS completes the delivery to you.

The 3rd possible scenario is that the label and tracking number get separated from the parcel. You don't wanna know what happens then.

Just noticed: The timestamps on your #5 and #6 are out of order. That's actually pretty common. I suspect that they do it to get folks pumped up.

Some brainiac has since determined that instead of being 3 hours south of me, the item should be sent to a location 3 hours east of me.   

Probably the same reasoning that had it bouncing around around Bensenville, Illinois for 2 days.  

gen.jpg.a1d35badc961f4167ddafffff326d861.jpg

On 8/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, Snake45 said:

Update: I returned the thing Tuesday. They emailed me the label, which I forwarded to the local field office, which handled the whole thing no sweat--I couldn't have been in there more than three whole minutes, front to back. It arrived back at the vendor Wednesday morning. This morning (Saturday) I received the replacement item on my doorstep. Can't complain about service like that! It remains to be seen whether the new one works or not--might be a couple days before I get to test it. We'll see what happens. :unsure:

Update: Got the chance to run a brief test on the new unit today. It actually works, but only if you do something that is NOT mentioned in the instructions that definitely should be. :blink::rolleyes: DOH! Since I'm now happy with it (more or less), I suppose I should move this conversation over to "What Pleased You Today?" B):lol:

The continuing UPS problems and my latest issues. First the back info on how this got started. We replaced my wife's '14 Dodge Avenger RT with a new '21 Jeep Cherokee. This is a vehicle she has wanted for sometime and it was the right time for us to get her a new car. We ordered a factory type rear cargo cover thru Amazon at a big savings, Jeep wanted $325 and got the same thing for under $50 delivered. UPS was to deliver within 48 hrs. At the dealership the Cherokee we wanted was at a different dealer and they had to do a dealer trade and who ever put the vehicle in their system used the wrong Vin #. We live at the north - west corner of the metro area and the dealer is a short distance south of the metro. The dealer sends use a new set of documents with the correct Vin # to sign using UPS. AS timing would have it both deliveries happened on the same day by the same driver. Now in the past the UPS guy really hasn't been an issue but this time if it could go wrong it did. We live in an area where they are building a lot of new homes so more than half the homes on the area where we live are under some stag of construction. Ours is clearly lived in and has large street numbers on the post by the front door easily seen from the street. My wife's work from home desk is in the front bedroom and the street leading into our area and some of the first street where a lot of the building is going on can be seen from her desk. She sees a UPS truck come into the area and turn up the street in front of out house and stop. She thinks great the goodies we where expecting are here as promised. After a few minutes the truck goes on up the hill and turns into the first street. Maybe turning around so that they could park on the right side of the street in front ? No the truck sits there for about ten minutes and then leaves the area. A few days later Amazon calls to see if she got the part and she tells them no. Then we call the dealership about the paper work and they had paid for an over night delivery and we still hadn't gotten that either. A week goes by and a different UPS driver brings the docs from the dealership and when asked he checks with dispatch and we find out they were told that my wife told the delivery driver she didn't want the part until Sept. ????  We had to go to the UPS distribution center to pick up the cargo shade and find that the box looks like someone drove a truck over one end. The box is crushed and torn but some how the cover was undamaged. The people we dealt with at the center were very nice and helpful looking up who the driver was and found out the driver was a part time temp. Hope she can find other work soon. In order to speed up the paper work issues I drove down to the dealer with the docs and got that cleared up. But one lazy driver that would rather lie than due their job makes UPS an other wise good company look bad.   

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Update: Got the chance to run a brief test on the new unit today. It actually works, but only if you do something that is NOT mentioned in the instructions that definitely should be. :blink::rolleyes: DOH! Since I'm now happy with it (more or less), I suppose I should move this conversation over to "What Pleased You Today?" B):lol:

Nothing that might affect the warranty though, right?

Math is hard......

If you saw the video of the LAPD bomb squad putting a tad too much illegal fireworks into the container and detonated it

The explosion of a Los Angeles Police Department bomb-disposal truck that injured 17 people last month was caused by “human error” after officials underestimated the weight of the fireworks that detonated, authorities said Monday.

The June 30 blast came when the bomb squad was called to remove about 40 “Coca-Cola can-sized” improvised explosive devices that had been among the 32,000 pounds of fireworks stored illegally by a resident, authorities said. Since some of the fireworks were found to have “leaking material,” officials on the scene decided to detonate the dangerous explosives there. LAPD Chief Michel R. Moore said in a news conference that bomb technicians believed they had stored 16.5 pounds of explosives in the Total Containment Vessel, the bomb squad’s disposal truck, but an ATF National Response Team later found that the technicians had placed more than 42 pounds into the vehicle.

None of the injuries to the 10 law enforcement personnel and seven residents from the blast were life-threatening. In addition to the injuries, the blast damaged or destroyed 37 vehicles, 22 residential properties and 13 businesses, police said.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Nothing that might affect the warranty though, right?

No, not at all. 

The item is a CO2 powered air rifle. The first one I got wouldn't "fire" with a fresh CO2 cartridge in it but no BBs, and neither would this one. I got the idea "Maybe it HAS to also have the BBs in it to 'fire'," and darned if that didn't turn out to be the case. It works fine as long as there's at least one BB in the magazine! The manual/instructions don't mention this at all, and neither did any review I read of it. Every other CO2 airgun I have will readily "pop" whether it has BBs or pellets in it or not.  Only rationale I can think of for this "feature" is that it prevents you from wasting CO2 if the magazine is empty. I'm still not sure how they managed to achieve it. :wacko:

• Sad 1

Well, turns out I screwed up some on my brakes now too🤬

Dad started finishing the left front while I was working today, and when I went on lunch he let me know there was another issue with the brakes, but this time the one I bought from Napa........it too was a right side caliper!  I go and get the receipt so Dad could get things straightened out and before he left, he was looking at pics of my Sister's Challenger R/T Classic with the Super Track Pack suspension, diff, and brake package, which supplied the VIN I used to get most of the parts needed for this swap since the calipers, pads, and almost all of the hardware is the same.  What Dad discovered and I had forgotten is that on the LX cars, the calipers are on the door side of the hubs and rotors while the on the JS cars (Avenger, 200, and Sebring) are mounted on the door side of the hubs and rotors, which means that the rotors that would be the swapped left to right on the JS chassis cars that had or were being converted to the EU spec BR-1 brakes.  The dealer still gave me 2 of the same calipers, but they were left side, not right......so where I screwed up is when we went to the Napa warehouse (the van's 3dr trip there this week!), I purchased a left front thinking that's what I needed when I really needed a right front to put on my car's left front corner.  I went from being pissed at Napa to feeling like a friggin' idiot.😣

7 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

What irks me today?

The fact that the "What irked you today" has almost double the posts as "What please you today"

You all need to be more positive 😆

There's only a stairway to Heaven, but a highway to you-know-where.  That's a pretty good gauge of positive versus negative...

7 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

What irks me today?

The fact that the "What irked you today" has almost double the posts as "What please you today"

You all need to be more positive 😆

Somebody else mentioned this a couple hundred pages ago. :lol:

1 hour ago, Mark said:

There's only a stairway to Heaven, but a highway to you-know-where.  That's a pretty good gauge of positive versus negative...

Soooo..... a little exercise for heaven is bad.... and speeding to hell is good? huh??

55 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Somebody else mentioned this a couple hundred pages ago. :lol:

Of course.... Hahaha!

On 8/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Probably  "won't" !   They treated me like dirt and told me my car was too old for them to be bothered with.  It was a 7 year old Breeze with less than 50,000 miles on it!   

I got the same treatment when I took my 2013 Avenger to a Dodge dealer for a warranty trans replacement. They replaced the trans for free and then told me my car was junk just because of its age. This was four years ago. IT WAS ONLY FOUR YEARS OLD!

8 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

UPS delivered a package to me on a Sunday not too long ago. It was definitely a pleasant surprise.

I was at my daughters condo last week. Sitting out on her little porch I noticed the delivery vehicles coming all day long!  Several Prime truck deliveries.. many unmarked truck and car deliveries all day Iong and it didn’t stop on Sunday!

All I could think was it’s a huge waste! Amazon has no order of efficiency like UPS or USPS that sends out everything on a specific route sorted into one truck.

I did speak with a young lady delivering a package and she said it’s like a scavenger hunt.. they fill up her van with no rhyme or reason, deliveries in several towns. Very inefficient.

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was at my daughters condo last week. Sitting out on her little porch I noticed the delivery vehicles coming all day long!  Several Prime truck deliveries.. many unmarked truck and car deliveries all day Iong and it didn’t stop on Sunday!

All I could think was it’s a huge waste! Amazon has no order of efficiency like UPS or USPS that sends out everything on a specific route sorted into one truck.  

Some days I get 4 separate Prime deliveries--sometimes just one small item. 

8 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did speak with a young lady delivering a package and she said it’s like a scavenger hunt.. they fill up her van with no rhyme or reason, deliveries in several towns. Very inefficient.

my very nosy neighbor happened to be outside when i was getting a package delivered from amazon. i guess the driver dropped the box instead of placing it down. she yelled at him, saying she was going to call amazon and report him. i guess the guy got mad and started to walk towards her and she started saying to come at her, she would call the cops on him. i guess he turned around and drove away after that.  i didnt see it, this is just what she told me.

in my mind, i was saying please stay out of my business. i dont care if he drops the box. i know they toss the box, kicked and generally not cared about the entire duration of the delivery cycle. him dropping it is not likely to make a difference. her yelling is only going to make the driver mad, and i live on amazon's service. everything i buy comes from amazon, and i dont need things to not show up because of this. 

honestly, if you are going to call and report the guy, just call them. nothing good comes from yelling at a random stranger

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 1

the fan on my laptop started to make noise and now its not spinning enough to keep it cool. i called asus to get it replaced only to hear my warranty expired 3 weeks ago. its so annoying because it was a very expensive laptop and i was very surprised to hear they only had a 1 year warranty.

i took the bottom cover off and cleared any dust, but it was generally very clean. i ordered 2 new fans (gpu and cpu) and will just replace them both at once since they were both a bit noisy, although one is more noisy than the other. i ordered some new fans from amazon and they will arrive on monday. they were just 30 dollars for the pair. 

looking on google, it seems they are very prone to this issue and commonly dont last even 1 year.  unfortunately asus wouldnt help me out with this, even though its a common issue. they said i could mail it in and they would fix it, but i would have to pay for shipping both ways and the repair.

the 30 dollars at amazon is cheaper for sure

2 hours ago, MrMiles said:

honestly, if you are going to call and report the guy, just call them. nothing good comes from yelling at a random stranger

Amazon makes it very hard to complain about delivery drivers. A couple of years ago, a driver made several deliveries on my cul de sac. As she was leaving, she was going a little fast, and the intersection of my cul de sac, another cul de sac, and the through road is uncontrolled and kind of blind. She blew through the intersection and narrowly escaped being t-boned by a Forester. Amazon wasn't interested in the least little tiny bit.

The work crews working on the new homes next to us just through their empty water and pop bottles into the builds yard. The wind and the heavy rain we had over the last couple of days has all this loose trash running down the gutters and into the street drains and onto our yards as well. I bagged the trash and went up to the job site and yelled at the roofers to use the trash bag full of litter that I left. I hope they got the message, I don't think they would like anyone tossing trash in their neighborhood. 

• Like 1