Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Started on one of my now-famous Snake-Fu "rescues" of a glue bomb '65 Ford. The paint looked savable with a light polish (Wright's Silver Cream cut with water). It quickly became apparent that the paint was VERY thin and wouldn't stand up to it. So into the Purple Pond it went. I'll have to repaint it. Thing is, I don't want to put a great deal of effort into the paint job on this glue bomb of a car that isn't a particular favorite. Black primer is out because I already have another couple black primer projects in the works. So it looks like I've got three possibilities: 

*Gray primer

*Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic. Cheap, I have it on hand, and it goes on without drama and polishes out pretty easily. 

*Rustoleum Charcoal Gray Metallic. From same line as the Cobalt Blue. Have never used it but hope it behaves as well. A nice graphite gray color. I'm going for a '70s street cruiser vibe, so factory originality isn't a factor. 

18 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I think the gray would look good on the 65 .

Thanks! That's one vote for the gray. B)

Gray wasn't that "big" a color in the mid-'70s, but I had my real '69 Camaro SS painted almost exactly this color in 1978. It was a real standout. 

9 hours ago, mchook said:

I drive a bus for the disabled for a living. When I got to my first drop off, the staff came over and asked what time it was. I looked at my watch (yes, I still wear a watch with hands & numbers) I replied with "A quarter after 8" She looks at me and says, "so 8:25 right?" I don't know her age but she's probably in her late 20s early 30s. I think she should be able to tell time by now.

Unlike for us old farts, they probably don't teach in school how to read a "dial clock".

• Haha 2

Have to wonder why the shipper didn't go to the time and expense of a little tape on the boxes joints. The tabs on the box look like they wouldn't be able to hold the contains if it was sitting on the shelf let alone when the guys at Fed X where using it as a frizz bee.  

19 hours ago, peteski said:

Unlike for us old farts, they probably don't teach in school how to read a "dial clock".

My parents taught me when I was about 3...

But then they weren't selfie-obsessed politically-correct know-nothings who spent every waking moment online, rebleating the mindless virtue-signal du jour on social media, or ordering useless Chinese-made stuff they don't need, or food delivery because they can't cook either...all the while ranting that successful people should be penalized for earning their own wealth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But then they weren't selfie-obsessed politically-correct know-nothings who spent every waking moment online, rebleating the mindless virtue-signal du jour on social media, or ordering useless Chinese-made stuff they don't need, or food delivery because they can't cook either...all the while ranting that successful people should be penalized for earning their own wealth.

You forgot posting pictures of every stupid thing they were about to eat. :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:57 PM, Snake45 said:

Thanks! That's one vote for the gray. B)

Gray wasn't that "big" a color in the mid-'70s, but I had my real '69 Camaro SS painted almost exactly this color in 1978. It was a real standout. 

Add another vote for gray. I actually had a '79 Mercury Marquis that was Dove Gray. Looked like primer with a gloss clear coat on it. My cousin had a dark gray '67 4-4-2, and a dark gray '73 Duster, so gray wasn't really out of place in the 70's.

10 hours ago, espo said:

Have to wonder why the shipper didn't go to the time and expense of a little tape on the boxes joints. The tabs on the box look like they wouldn't be able to hold the contains if it was sitting on the shelf let alone when the guys at Fed X where using it as a frizz bee.  

Hey they saved money on the cost of tape and an employees time to put the tape on it.

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Add another vote for gray. I actually had a '79 Mercury Marquis that was Dove Gray. 

I had a 78 Mercury Monarch that was that awful Ford color we called “off silver” because it soon flaked off!

I sanded down the entire car and had it painted Dove Gray. It looked super! 

I should have posted this Wednesday night, when it happened.  Still waiting on Allstate adjuster to do their thing.  Thanks to CV-1984, all done remotely, I had to take pictures and email.  The other driver in a nice Audi coupe did the quick lane change without turn signal, took 100% responsibility.

0641793153_2483.jpg

I had a similar accident last year, and the driver was very nice lady which also admitted responsibility. She pulled out of her driveway, right in front of me (she didn't look of the road was clear).  It was her fault and she was very apologetic.  At that point my car was less than a year old and under 20k miles.  It was about $2k worth of damage to the nose of my car.  Yes, there are still nice honest people out there (but not many).

Kurt's car probably has about $2k worth of damage too, and that pearl white paint will be a pain to match (my car was solid white and if you look carefully, it isn't a perfect match either).

Jacked up my knee.....don't even have a good 'hold my beer' story to go with it.  After X-rays and an MRI, there are half a dozen bone chips.  Talked with the Dr this a.m. and I can have it scoped or the cortizone shot.  I'm opting for the less evasive procedure.  I had it scoped 30 years ago after tearing the meniscus playing tennis.  Apparently I was prepped by a nurse who was cheesed at her boyfriend/husband as my leg was dry shaved.....the razor burn hurt more than the incision sites. 

Getting old sucks.....

Not irked, but disappointed in humanity.

Was at America's Tire (Discount Tire for some of you) this afternoon getting tires for the spousal unit's Focus. A very tiny older woman walked up behind me to pick up her car and she said that she was picking up her Toyota. Then she asked if that is what it was. All she knew is that it was a Prius but wasn't sure if it was a Toyota or not. She said it was silver.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

.. All she knew is that it was a Prius but wasn't sure if it was a Toyota or not. ...

There are a few kinds of those 'non-car guys' out there. Way back when I worked as a shuttle van driver at a commercial offsite airport parking lot, a guy arriving home got in my van and said he'd lost the slip of paper for the row location of his car, and when we got to the lot, he said it was a brown one, maybe a Honda. And that was it. Hatchback? Sedan? Wagon? Distinctive markings or bumper stickers? Didn't know. So, what I was obligated to do was stop at every brown-ish / maroon-ish / medium gray-ish car so that he could get out and try the door key in it.  14 double rows, maybe 50-75 cars per double row, took us around an hour or more before he managed to unlock one, which if I remember right, did turn out to be a gray-ish brown Honda 4-door sedan.

I agree that there are many people out there to whom a car is just an appliance.  I don't see anything to be disappointed (in humanity) that some older lady didn't know the make of her car.  At least she knew it was a Prius, and what color it was.  That is all she needs to find the car in the supermarket parking lot.  I see this as perfectly normal, especially for an older lady.

Plus, if she just said that she is picking up her silver Prius, you would have never found out that she wasn't sure it if was a Toyota.

And just to add this: If you only knew how little many people around you know (about many very common subjects, like math, grammar, or geography), you would be really disappointed in humanity!

Edited by peteski