Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Migraines!

That is my bummer for the day. I'm having Caffeine withdrawal as I cut back on my Mt Dew consumption.  I work 12 hr, graveyard shifts, 8pm to 8a, and the Mt Dew keep me going. But, I can't afford to keep drinking so many. I'm gaining weight. So, I've cut back on the Soda, but Caffeine Withdrawal gives me headaches.

It will pass in a week or two, as I adapt, but it makes for a lousy weekend. But, I have a job!

15 minutes ago, alexis said:

Migraines!

That is my bummer for the day. I'm having Caffeine withdrawal as I cut back on my Mt Dew consumption.  I work 12 hr, graveyard shifts, 8pm to 8a, and the Mt Dew keep me going. But, I can't afford to keep drinking so many. I'm gaining weight. So, I've cut back on the Soda, but Caffeine Withdrawal gives me headaches.

It will pass in a week or two, as I adapt, but it makes for a lousy weekend. But, I have a job!

Zipfizz!  I can't do some of the energy drinks as they set my heart on hummingbird (not good when I'm already on blood pressure meds)

I cut my Mt Dew/Coke/Pepsi consumption as whatever they use as a sweetener any more is nasty

Does No-Doz still exist? Used that back in high school when I worked late nights at the pizza joint and still had to get up early for school. Remembered a couple of times my stomach was cramped up because I took it with no food. I was a stupid teenager.

A quik note about my Gripe.

I am a Dispatcher for Trucking and Oilfield Work, I've been working 12's and Graveyards since 1999. I had a 9 year break from nights from 2011-2020, but that is it. I worked rotating 6days on 3days off for several years as well. So, none of this is new to me. But, I just turned 58, and despite this being a life I am familiar with, I am finding it hard to get "Back in the Groove" for this job.

Good Job, Good People to work for, and I am grateful beyond words to be working here. But, the transition is tough. I'll get there though.

And, for Tony, yes they still make narcotics that will "Jolt" you awake for one time use. But, I cannot use them, as they are meant as a One Shot Deal, and I work 4 nights a week.

Thanks, Guys, Alan

11 hours ago, alexis said:

A quik note about my Gripe.

I am a Dispatcher for Trucking and Oilfield Work, I've been working 12's and Graveyards since 1999. I had a 9 year break from nights from 2011-2020, but that is it. I worked rotating 6days on 3days off for several years as well. So, none of this is new to me. But, I just turned 58, and despite this being a life I am familiar with, I am finding it hard to get "Back in the Groove" for this job.

Good Job, Good People to work for, and I am grateful beyond words to be working here. But, the transition is tough. I'll get there though.

And, for Tony, yes they still make narcotics that will "Jolt" you awake for one time use. But, I cannot use them, as they are meant as a One Shot Deal, and I work 4 nights a week.

Thanks, Guys, Alan

Try taking vatamin d, it seems to help me when I'm working nights and not seeing the sun

7 hours ago, Classicgas said:

One moment forums are for discussing kits that have accuracy problems, the next minute there's no room for discussing kit problems. 

As I am sure you know Lee, discussing is one thing, pounding your opinion on others until it becomes confrontational and personal is another thing. We let the discussion go on for quite sometime, in hopes folks would just wait until the completed model was shown (as was asked by the OP several times on page 1 of the thread). That was our fault, we should have stepped in sooner to save some of the more egregious posters from being removed from the site. We really don't want to be like the mods were at the SA forum. Lots of comments over there vanished within hours of being posted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes, and thanks.  In spite of the appearance of a chopped top, I found Tim's comparison interesting.  Maybe it's not as off as it appears.  It can still be built as a gasser, but not SEG standards.  I may get one, but it's not high on the priority list, the stock version  will be of far more interest,  overall the kit is nice.

• Confused 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:13 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Jeff, I worked graveyard shifts for 4 years some time ago now. Your body never gets used to it. Was glad when it ended and got back working normal days again.       We unfortunate!y are not nocturnal animals!

I've been working 4 X 10 night shift (four 10-hour nights 8pm-6am) for about 20 years now and I like it! I'm in my 50s now.  I'm a night owl and stay up overnight on my weekends too.  I find it difficult to adjust to regular daytime hours.  I don't drink coffee at all, and have an occasional Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew (in those little 8oz. cans), and sometimes some sweetened Ice Tea. But I drink those usually during the daytime or weekends.  While working I mostly drink water. 

Well a Bronx cheer to the minority that contributed to the chevy 2 gasser test shot review fiasco. I get some weren't happy with the body but there is also a lot good in this new kit. However most of us don't see the roof as an issue or don't necessary see a problem with the roof.

Too many times any flaws in a kit overshadow any of the positives.

For the majority it is a great kit. For those not happy no kit manufacturer is going to spend thousands of dollars to fix a problem to sell a few more kits when the majority is happy with the product. 

I've added several names to my ignore list. Nothing any of that selfish minority says is worth wasting time reading. Thanks for ruining it for all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

... I've added several names to my ignore list. 

Add mine too.

It doesn't take "thousands of dollars to fix a problem to sell a few more kits when the majority is happy with the product".

All it takes is to get the measuring right BEFORE the tooling is cut.

It's called "professionalism", AKA "competence".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This is like beating a dead horse but FedEx. Last week my Chewy order was set to be delivered Friday but then changed to Saturday and then changed to Monday. The tracking said it had left Vancouver, WA Friday morning so I figured it would be delivered since that's about 45 minutes up the freeway.

Last week there was an article in the paper about FedEx and their problems. Had some comments from regular people like us and businesses who are going through the same BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH with late deliveries.

Pete, when I worked nights it was 5 nights from 10pm to 6am. The company ran swing shifts 6 to 2 and 2 to 10 each day plus a permanent night shift.

I was OK when I went in but my body cycle was low between midnight and about 3 am and then I started to come out of it by 6am.

I guess my low period was when normally I would be in deep sleep during the night. Adjusting back to days for normal social activity at the weekends was always difficult.

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Pete, when I worked nights it was 5 nights from 10pm to 6am. The company ran swing shifts 6 to 2 and 2 to 10 each day plus a permanent night shift.

I was OK when I went in but my body cycle was low between midnight and about 3 am and then I started to come out of it by 6am.

I guess my low period was when normally I would be in deep sleep during the night. Adjusting back to days for normal social activity at the weekends was always difficult.

This is a bit long but very funny. I always say it was the time i died.

In college I worked at a 24 hour gas station working a mix of days and overnight shifts. Including 24 hour shift 1 time per week. My sleep was so messed up and i could fall asleep in a moments notice any hour of the day

During the night shift nobody would come in between 2:30 am to about 6:30am, but the owner was required to stay open because of the license agreement. 

So the owner didn't care if we slept. Anyway, one night i was so tired I liked up all the chairs like a bed and fell asleep. I locked the doors and shut down the pumps.

Next thing i knew there was 5 police officers that jimmied the door open and came rushing in. I jumped up and they jumped back.

The phone was ringing and it was the owner. He asked if everything is ok. I said yes. He said how many police cars are there, and i said probably 5. 

It turns out that a cabby came in and honked the horn but i didn't wake. He knocked on the door but i didn't wake either. he called 911 saying the gas attendant was dead.

For days the police would cone in and joke with me about being dead. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Add mine too.

It doesn't take "thousands of dollars to fix a problem to sell a few more kits when the majority is happy with the product".

Well one possibility is a measurement issue. But without having access to original data we won't know. I'm sure there are other possible problem areas in the process. However before drawing any conclusion one would have to do some investigation rather than drawing an arbitrary conclusion.  At least that's how I approach solving any problem.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
Fixed spelling error

12 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

This is a bit long but very funny. I always say it was the time i died.

In college I worked at a 24 hour gas station working a mix of days and overnight shifts. Including 24 hour shift 1 time per week. My sleep was so messed up and i could fall asleep in a moments notice any hour of the day

During the night shift nobody would come in between 2:30 am to about 6:30am, but the owner was required to stay open because of the license agreement. 

So the owner didn't care if we slept. Anyway, one night i was so tired I liked up all the chairs like a bed and fell asleep. I locked the doors and shut down the pumps.

Next thing i knew there was 5 police officers that jimmied the door open and came rushing in. I jumped up and they jumped back.

The phone was ringing and it was the owner. He asked if everything is ok. I said yes. He said how many police cars are there, and i said probably 5. 

It turns out that a cabby came in and honked the horn but i didn't wake. He knocked on the door but i didn't wake either. he called 911 saying the gas attendant was dead.

For days the police would cone in and joke with me about being dead. 

Many years ago I worked as a eecurity guard. I had the relief shift(2 graves, 2 swings and a day. Did it for 3 months and I was a mess. There were times when I wasn't sure if I was going to bed or getting out of bed.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Add mine too.

Y'know, I went checking the AMT Nova wagon thread for aaawwwwllllll the inevitable controversy - y'know, from those hoardes who "ruin it for everybody", who whine unconditionally, who find something to complain about no matter what.

Fancy that - there wasn't any(!) 😮

Could it be 'cause that particular kit actually, uh, looks like its subject?

Nnnnaaaaaaaaaaah. Rivet counters musta just MISSED that one. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well one possibility is a measurement issue. But without having access to original data we won't know. I'm sure there are other possible problem areas in the process. However before drawing any conclusion one would have to do some investigation rather than drawing an arbitrary conclusion.  At least that's how I approach solving any problem.

If you have run international projects you understand.   No matter how many photos and dimensions you send off to China,  they're all open to interpretation  and/or there's one little measurement missing.   The issue is simply that those designing the kit are in China and have never seen the real car in person.  It makes for a big difference.   Back in the day when US kit manufacturers were in the USA, I swore if I took one over the first thing I'd do is install an overhead garage door into the design department, so I could plant an actual car dead center!  You wouldn't have needed a pristine example, a decent used car would suffice for measurements, look and feel.

It's like the big surprise when you finally see a car in person for the first time.  Like an old 1930s Chrysler or Buick. You've seen photos of them for years, but in person you are immediately take by how huge the cars are.  Nothing like seeing something in person!

Back in the day when I created architectural building models in CADD,  I'd do my own field work.  I'd take every dimension I could possibly imagine.  Then back in the office as I input these dimensions into the system, something would be off.   Puzzled I'd walk or drive back to the building, put a tape to the area and man! there was the difference!   

And back then management would roll their eyes... "There goes Geiger hunting for inches!  It's already good enuf!"    Well, I made sure it was right because we were doing construction projects off my work,  square footage charge backs to departments and even the building taxes.  I went back to same company 15 years later, and they're still building off and managing the buildings off models I created back in the late 1980s!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

This board badly mistreated a very smart and supportive friend to the whole automotive world, not just modelers. Just pathetic, and Tim was just giving a preview of a kit he didn’t design or produce!

So shoot off your mouths and feet. 
And at this point accuracy is irrelevant. People owe an apology and thanks to the people that bring us news and previews. 

I love accuracy. But not at cost of humanity or civility. Might as well discuss politics, same approaches. Grow the blah up, and man up. 

Measure x2, cut once. Think x3 then shoot off mouth. And know target not messenger. 

Edited by keyser
S
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1