Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Been working on a JoHan 72 Torino promo rehab. Did some cleaning up and had it in primer. Spouse came home and told me that "my car" was on the kitchen floor and "looked broken". Yup. It was hanging from the wine glass rack and fell about 8 feet. Yup. Broken windshield pillar.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Been working on a JoHan 72 Torino promo rehab. Did some cleaning up and had it in primer. Spouse came home and told me that "my car" was on the kitchen floor and "looked broken". Yup. It was hanging from the wine glass rack and fell about 8 feet. Yup. Broken windshield pillar.

Hope you can fix it. Sometimes it’s do you feel like fixing it..

Amazon said they are going to start charging 10 dollars for whole foods delivery, which used to be included in prime.

At this point, i question what value Amazon is these days. We almost never get 2 day shipping anymore, its usually 4 days or longer. 

The food delivery is no longer free. 

The only thing we are using it for is the prime movies, which is rare that we find one for free that we like. 

On top of that, prime is now 130 per year. 

I think it might be time to cancel

Went to Sam's Club for a few things (two packs of lunch meat and one box of Ritz crackers).  Grabbed a box from the bin on the way out to put everything in once in the parking lot.  The girl scanning receipts scans one pack of lunch meat, the crackers and then the clearly EMPTY box of fruit pies which set the device into a frenzy as I didn't purchase any.  Now she tries to clear it an locks up the device that as the line behind me builds and someone else has to come over to scan.

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Trimming some tree branches and the chain saw slipped and took a chunk out of the palm of my hand.  Hurts.  Maybe go for stitches later.

P{lease go and get this checked out ASAP. As others have mentioned there is a lot of posable injuries that you don't feel at first. Tomorrow is when it's really going to hurt.     

15 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Got most of the bleeding stopped, squirted some CA glue on it and put on a large bandaid.  Needed to finish the job I started.  I think I'm pretty good.

Thank you all for caring.

Take care Jim, those limbs will be there when your ready f or them..

29 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Much better today.

Great.

Hand injuries hard to fix, need hand surgeon. Tendons once cut retract like a rubber band since not connected to fingers. 
Plus chain saws are pita. Fun to use though. 

Stay well, and restock your superglue👍🏼

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Not irked but sad my oldest granddaughter is moving to the coast of Virginia. Her stepdad received a job offer he could not refuse…

That could be a (mostly) free vacation opportunity for you at the coast. Embrace it!

Again, not irked but saddened.

I was on my way home from the LHS this afternoon after spending a disposable $65 on paint.

As I was crossing over the freeway, I saw a woman in a red polo walking on the other side, bent over and obviously struggling with the hill.

I recognized her as an employee from "my" Target. She has worked there for at least 10 years and must be in her upper 60s by now. I assume that she rode the bus or train to that street and was walking the rest of the way home.

She has never been terribly friendly at Target, but she is efficient and one of my favorite checkers. I have her pegged as someone who "has" to work at her age, rather than someone who is working for fun or to be sociable. My dad got a job in his 70s to earn "Pill Money" for himself and my mom.

I feel sad that I didn't turn around and offer her a ride. She wasn't really in a spot that I could have pulled over safely, but I think that I should have done something. It would have been her decision where to be dropped off. I wouldn't have needed to take her to her doorstep if she would have been uncomfortable.

Fall is here. It's California, but I hope she doesn't have to do this every time she works. Bless you A*****.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, Rodent said:

That could be a (mostly) free vacation opportunity for you at the coast. Embrace it!

very true my friend…

On 10/19/2021 at 9:28 PM, Rodent said:

Again, not irked but saddened.

I was on my way home from the LHS this afternoon after spending a disposable $65 on paint.

As I was crossing over the freeway, I saw a woman in a red polo walking on the other side, bent over and obviously struggling with the hill.

I recognized her as an employee from "my" Target. She has worked there for at least 10 years and must be in her upper 60s by now. I assume that she rode the bus or train to that street and was walking the rest of the way home.

She has never been terribly friendly at Target, but she is efficient and one of my favorite checkers. I have her pegged as someone who "has" to work at her age, rather than someone who is working for fun or to be sociable. My dad got a job in his 70s to earn "Pill Money" for himself and my mom.

I feel sad that I didn't turn around and offer her a ride. She wasn't really in a spot that I could have pulled over safely, but I think that I should have done something. It would have been her decision where to be dropped off. I wouldn't have needed to take her to her doorstep if she would have been uncomfortable.

Fall is here. It's California, but I hope she doesn't have to do this every time she works. Bless you A*****.

Maybe next time you will be in a better position to help her if so happens..

My soon to be mother in law ran over a buck in her minivan on accident on a busy highway earlier tonight. All I had at my disposal was a dull little pocketknife while another guy who pulled over and let me use the knife helped hold the buck down. A state trooper pulled over and eventually shot the buck in the lower neck, which didn’t really do anything since the buck tried to get up no more than 10 seconds later. The trooper said he couldn’t put another round in it because he said it was an unsafe area to do it in, (not sure why since he already fired a shot once) so the only way the buck could have any bit of a quick death was to stick the pocketknife in his neck while keeping him held down and cut until I sliced the jugular, which took a lot longer than the cop just putting one in the its head real quick. While we were wrangling the buck down and trying to put him out of his misery, the state trooper just stood there apologizing that there was nothing more he could do. If that’s the case, then that department really needs to rework its policies for officers responding to situations like that. 

This past week I got "invited" in to speak with my supervisor about a pay raise.  Once he finished the required BS about how much we (school bus drivers) are appreciated and how he recognizes the difficulty we face daily, he went into a spiel of how he had worked for the past three weeks on developing an effective pay scale for drivers. He than told me the good news of how much I was going to get: from $15.38 an hour to a whopping $15.60 an hour.  This is my 9th year driving for this school system.  The offer of $.22/hour increase in pay was one of the most insulting points in my life. I let him know the meeting was a waste of my time.

My last employer cut back on staff in 2019 (including me) because they had sold all of their properties.  I was given a year or so notice (turned out to be a year and a half), was allowed to pile up paid time off, and I got a generous package for staying as long as needed (which I intended to do anyway).  I decided not to try landing a position with the new owners of the property.

Towards the end of my time there, I caught part of a conversation between two of the incoming managers.  Their employer had just announced pay raises...ten cents an hour, across the board.  

Why even bother...

On 6/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, NOBLNG said:

My number one favourite pair of tweezers has disappeared. 🤬I’m hoping they will turn up somewhere, but I fear I may have elbowed them off my workbench and into my garbage can. If so, they are gone for good cause yesterday was garbage day, and I didn’t notice them missing till late in the day.😡

I found them! WOO HOO! They were in a tupperware container with all my rims and tires.🤷‍♂️

The Bare Metal Foil blues... ordered a new sheet from an Amazon seller and of course the adhesive is completely shot. I can't think of another product with about a 50% success rate where I keep going back for more! I still prefer BMF to Molotow for a lot of my trim work, but it's frustrating when a fresh sheet winds up being useless due to poor adhesive. Fortunately I had enough left on my old sheet (about two years old and the adhesive is still good) to do what I needed to do.