Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Along those lines.. the local oil change place sent me an email that I was surely in need of an oil change based on the time from my last one.. checked the car.. only 1000 miles!

I changed the oil on my Jeep back in June because it had been a year, but I’d only put 1500 miles it since the previous year.  But I’ve put about 2500 miles on it since June.  Lots of weekend trips. 

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Along those lines.. the local oil change place sent me an email that I was surely in need of an oil change based on the time from my last one.. checked the car.. only 1000 miles!

my beetle recommends 10,000 miles or 1 year for an oil change. from the previous time i had it changed to the 1 year mark, i had driven about 2000 miles or 2500 miles. I called VW and asked them if i should bother and of course they said yes because it had hit the 1 year mark, so i got it changed. it was like 80 dollars. 

now my wife has taken over the beetle since i never use it and it had only 12000 miles on it in 2.5 years of owning it, and her car had almost 90000 miles and was falling apart. we figured it was better to have her use the beetle than to keep putting money into her car. since i work from home, i only use the car to pick up groceries or run to burger king, so i have become the old used car salesman pitch, just used to go to the store and back.

although it was tempting when i checked the carvana site a few months ago and they offered me 3000 more than i paid for the car brand new. my wife didnt want me to trade it in, she said we need 2 cars

i did have to fill up my vespa for the first time. 1.2 gallons of gas and i drive 115 miles.

Edited by MrMiles

On 10/27/2021 at 9:59 PM, Rob Hall said:

I changed the oil on my Jeep back in June because it had been a year, but I’d only put 1500 miles it since the previous year.  But I’ve put about 2500 miles on it since June.  Lots of weekend trips. 

i change my oil once a year because I only put about 1,200 a year myself. I have been using synthetic oil.

Great, I come here and find a Honey-Do list. 🤔  My chip-laden Civic says there is 10% life left on the oil.  I just finished a 2.5 night camping trip with Blue Cloud, which ran flawlessly (674 miles) for a 53 year old vehicle, even on Snebbly Hill "Road" into Sedona (to avoid the headwind); dipstick oil is very dark.  Just took Cooper the cat to the veterinary clinic for an ear hematoma, treated with banned FB medication that some pod-cast comedian slammed CNN about (trying to avoid "the thing").  Anyway, that little trip cost almost as much as the camping trip cost in gas ($3.799 in Bluff, Utah, where I turned around).  Third night, got wakened at 2:30AM by sprinkle of rain, which increased by the minute.  I couldn't post that day. 😅  The movie Forest Gump ruined this straightaway, which is north of Monument Valley (in Utah).  First car I had pegged the speedometer with, was where the pull-out for tourists is beyond, there is now a 35 MPH speed trap zone, because taking selfies in the middle of the road, with a Konisegg blasting by would wreck a good vacation.

E_0599.thumb.JPG.3296fd2f553d4e6831a793ace62328f2.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Just took Cooper the cat to the veterinary clinic

I hope you have found a good vet there. The M.I.L. had a string of different idiots in Prescott with her cats. One of the cats developed some type of aggressive cancer at about 6 years old. The estimate for treatment was in the thousands and the outlook wasn't good even with that. She decided to euthanize her. After it was over, the vet started giving her ## for not at least "trying" to save her.

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Great, I come here and find a Honey-Do list. 🤔  My chip-laden Civic says there is 10% life left on the oil.  I just finished a 2.5 night camping trip with Blue Cloud, which ran flawlessly (674 miles) for a 53 year old vehicle, even on Snebbly Hill "Road" into Sedona (to avoid the headwind); dipstick oil is very dark.  Just took Cooper the cat to the veterinary clinic for an ear hematoma, treated with banned FB medication that some pod-cast comedian slammed CNN about (trying to avoid "the thing").  Anyway, that little trip cost almost as much as the camping trip cost in gas ($3.799 in Bluff, Utah, where I turned around).  Third night, got wakened at 2:30AM by sprinkle of rain, which increased by the minute.  I couldn't post that day. 😅  The movie Forest Gump ruined this straightaway, which is north of Monument Valley (in Utah).  First car I had pegged the speedometer with, was where the pull-out for tourists is beyond, there is now a 35 MPH speed trap zone, because taking selfies in the middle of the road, with a Konisegg blasting by would wreck a good vacation.

E_0599.thumb.JPG.3296fd2f553d4e6831a793ace62328f2.JPG

I think they used Monument valley in Air Wolf. Not sure..

I gotta ask -- what is it with people and parking lots these days? Around here, they see someone pull out, and they keep going. Car in the parking space is next to the ever popular white work van, can't see what's coming, and backs out slowly. Car in the aisle could have stopped, but keeps going and hit's her. Barely puts on his brakes. Gets out and yells at her for backing out in front of him. I left my contact info with the poor lady and told her insurance company to call me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t forget the ever popular “pull into lot off busy street, then stop”. So anyone behind you is now about to be Tboned. 
Another is -get in car, then wait minutes before actually starting car and going. Not on phone, not checking anything, just sitting. Happened at transplant clinic, no other parking. I practically do a burnout to get out of there. 

12 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I gotta ask -- what is it with people and parking lots these days? 

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

...People have become so selfish. When was the last time you got a thank you wave for letting someone pull out of a parking lot driveway?

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Don’t forget the ever popular “pull into lot off busy street, then stop”. So anyone behind you is now about to be Tboned. 
Another is -get in car, then wait minutes before actually starting car and going. Not on phone, not checking anything, just sitting....

Presumably, the AI-endowed self-driving cars will be intelligent and self-aware enough to avoid these annoying human actions.

But don't bet the farm on it.    :P

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Presumably, the AI-endowed self-driving cars will be intelligent and self-aware enough to avoid these annoying human actions.

But don't bet the farm on it.

Both of our daily drivers have blind spot alert/cross traffic warning. When you are the one backing out and can't see around the van/SUV it's a really nice feature. It can "see" oncoming traffic before you can.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Both of our daily drivers have blind spot alert/cross traffic warning. When you are the one backing out and can't see around the van/SUV it's a really nice feature. It can "see" oncoming traffic before you can.

Mine is a 2009 Venza. Too old for that stuff. 

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Get the one-finger wave all too often.

People have become much meaner the last few years. I was told I was retarded on Facebook market place because I wouldn't sell my kit to him for $5 a piece. I really think he's the one retarded. LOL

Edited by ewetwo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

People have become much meaner the last few years. I was told I was retarded on Facebook market place because I wouldn't sell my kit to him for $5 a piece. I really think he's the one retarded. LOL

OMG !!! OMG !!!

If I had written that, I'd have been banned for life.  ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

My '14 Jeep has a back up camera and proximity sensors on the rear bumper, pretty convenient in backing out...I think blind spot alert/cross traffic warning are options on the newer ones. 

Edited by Rob Hall

13 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

My '14 Jeep has a back up camera and proximity sensors on the rear bumper, pretty convenient in backing out...

When did people's C1-C7 vertebrae start auto-fusing to prevent one from swiveling his head to the rear and use Mk. ! eyeballs when backing into/out of parking spots? I see drivers in late model cars (no backup cameras) staring into their rear view mirrors attempting to park and end up damaging the front of the car directly behind theirs.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

When did people's C1-C7 vertebrae start auto-fusing to prevent one from swiveling his head to the rear and use Mk. ! eyeballs when backing into/out of parking spots? I see drivers in late model cars (no backup cameras) staring into their rear view mirrors attempting to park and end up damaging the front of the car directly behind theirs.

The view from the camera is better than looking back w/ the huge pillars and small side and rear windows.  

• Thanks 1