Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

My '14 Jeep has a back up camera and proximity sensors on the rear bumper, pretty convenient in backing out...I think blind spot alert/cross traffic warning are options on the newer ones. 

I’m finding the backup camera on my 2014 Frontier to be very useful. We got it so we could be sure we can see any small children who might be back there, and it’s super handy when I’m parked next to a van or RV. 

Drove my daughters SUV which has blind spot sensors. Didn’t find those terribly useful, but the surround parking cameras are nice for cozy parking spaces. I don’t have much problems at home, but San Diego allows parking spaces to be a few inches narrower. Grrrrr. . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I’m finding the backup camera on my 2014 Frontier to be very useful. We got it so we could be sure we can see any small children who might be back there, and it’s super handy when I’m parked next to a van or RV. 

Drove my daughters SUV which has blind spot sensors. Didn’t find those terribly useful, but the surround parking cameras are nice for cozy parking spaces. I don’t have much problems at home, but San Diego allows parking spaces to be a few inches narrower. Grrrrr. . . 

Ha…I remember noticing parking spaces that seemed smaller than normal in parts of San Diego when I used to go there when I lived in Phoenix.  My DTS was a tight fit in some places, as was a rental Yukon I had one weekend.  I used to drive over several times a year, usually to Pacific Beach…

My wife always gives me a bad time because I don't use the backup camera. Spent my whole life using the inside and outside mirrors that it's still a habit. I do like the rear sensors when backing out of a parking space as they help you a lot.

12 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Ha…I remember noticing parking spaces that seemed smaller than normal in parts of San Diego when I used to go there when I lived in Phoenix.  My DTS was a tight fit in some places, as was a rental Yukon I had one weekend.  I used to drive over several times a year, usually to Pacific Beach…

You are so right about San Diego. My daughter went to law school there and then lived and worked there for awhile. Trying to find a place I could get into with me F 150 and then open the doors to get out was a real chore. Seemed like the parking spots were made for Mini Coopers.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:48 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

I gotta ask -- what is it with people and parking lots these days? Around here, they see someone pull out, and they keep going. Car in the parking space is next to the ever popular white work van, can't see what's coming, and backs out slowly. Car in the aisle could have stopped, but keeps going and hit's her. Barely puts on his brakes. Gets out and yells at her for backing out in front of him. I left my contact info with the poor lady and told her insurance company to call me. 

On 10/30/2021 at 8:46 AM, ewetwo said:

I know. People have become so selfish. When was the last time you got a thank you wave for letting someone pull out of a parking lot driveway?

On 10/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, cobraman said:

I have found that the parking lots are one of the most dangerous places to drive. At least around here.

The courtesy in driving is gone even around here. I still drive and will let people in and out. I don’t have a back up cam on ny 2016 van but I do it with mirrors and blows my wife’s mind. I told her that’s how you had to park to get a license. I drive very very slow in parking lots. Sometimes you have to wonder if they want too be hit..

Last weekend I was sitting at a red light at a major intersection. I hear sirens coming fast, but I don’t know from what direction.. or if on my road or the cross street, so when the light turned green, me and the other two cars (3 lanes) sit still and wait.

The numpty behind me lays on his horn hard, which startled me a bit since I was listening to the siren. I looked in my rear view mirror and could see him cursing and flailing his arms.

Right then an ambulance with the trauma  truck right behind it zooms up on my left in the empty left turn lane and they cut right, across the front of all of us and head down the cross street. Fortunately we were holding traffic still. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Last weekend I was sitting at a red light at a major intersection. I hear sirens coming fast, but I don’t know from what direction.. or if on my road or the cross street, so when the light turned green, me and the other two cars (3 lanes) sit still and wait.

The numpty behind me lays on his horn hard, which startled me a bit since I was listening to the siren. I looked in my rear view mirror and could see him cursing and flailing his arms.

Right then an ambulance with the trauma  truck right behind it zooms up on my left in the empty left turn lane and they cut right, across the front of all of us and head down the cross street. Fortunately we were holding traffic still. 

People like that assclown could your a close encounter with a "clue bat"!

Yes, it seems that every year drivers are becoming less and less courteous, and also seem to ignore traffic laws.  It seems that it is all about them and how fast they can get to their destination. It is probably combination of true cluelessness, entitlement, playing with their smart devices while driving, or even fumbling with their very complicated touch-panel dashboard controls.  Some of those dashes are a huge driving distraction when operating them while driving.  So much for ergonomics. i It is all about how flashy and complicated the manufacturers can make them.

Thanks you all for unleashing this rant from me.  I feel better now (well, until the next time I get in my car and go anywhere).

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

A tip about the back-up camera.

Since it only works in reverse, I will sometimes drop the gear into reverse quickly at a stoplight, to check on the car behind me. People are tailgating at stopsigns now, and it is a fast way to see how close they are.

You have to have your brain in gear tho, as you don't want to leave it in reverse. I just have a quik pop in gear, and then it is back to drive.

I find the backup camera to be useful, and my old whiplash injuries make turning to to look both ways, a lot harder now. But, like many here, I'm old enough that the "looking over your shoulder to back up" habit is a permanent part of my driving skillset. I'll agree that parking lots are dangerous now. I had my 2015 Hyundai squashed by a guy who claimed to have never seen me behind his car., But, he had to walk around my car (parked directly behind his. I was waiting for a space to open.) to get into his car. So, He walks around my car, slings his stuff into his trunk, get into his, and backs out, right into my drivers. I had no place to go, as I had other traffic boxing me in. At least the insurance paid with no problems..

I blame some of this on poor parking lot design., Smaller parking spaces, the use of the dreadful "straight thru" slots, instead of angled spaces, and narrower lanes, all contribute to over crowded lots with poor traffic flow, and long wait times. It is not helped by rude people, who just load'n'go either. I've watched couples have a full blown fight in the car, with it pulled halfway out of the slot. Thus, blocking everybody.

Consideration for others, seems to be evaporating away. Rudeness, inattention, (or worse, Sheer Bloody Cluelessness), are on the rise. You should not Text and Park, but I see it all the time now.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

The courtesy in driving is gone even around here. I still drive and will let people in and out. I don’t have a back up cam on ny 2016 van but I do it with mirrors and blows my wife’s mind. I told her that’s how you had to park to get a license. I drive very very slow in parking lots. Sometimes you have to wonder if they want too be hit..

I agree Carl. Drive very slowly in parking lots because people are zooming through. And I still let people pull out even if the car behind me blows it’s. Horn.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, ewetwo said:

People have become much meaner the last few years. I was told I was retarded on Facebook market place because I wouldn't sell my kit to him for $5 a piece. I really think he's the one retarded. LOL

I always add: no offense to those who had no choice™.   FB is the distillery of meaness, must be why I'm in the klink more than being allowed my 1stA.

Continuing on parking, this is why I try to park facing out, I hate backing out of spaces or my driveway.  I like those who park over the white line, if I'm driving the beater pickup, I park so they can't get in their car.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, Rodent said:

I hope you have found a good vet there. The M.I.L. had a string of different idiots in Prescott with her cats. One of the cats developed some type of aggressive cancer at about 6 years old. The estimate for treatment was in the thousands and the outlook wasn't good even with that. She decided to euthanize her. After it was over, the vet started giving her ## for not at least "trying" to save her.

Bradshaw Mountain is wonderful.  Years ago had to take another cat in with cancer in the ear, so put him down.  I didn't get the ## treatment, they understood.  Cooper has some plastic drain device in his ear, shaking 🤢 everywhere.

Full disclosure:  I know nothing about how YouTube works, as will quickly become obvious.

Who sets the number of ads that play in a given video?  If it's the maker of the video, do they get a cut of the ad money or does YouTube get it all?

I'm curious because some of these pop up about every four minutes no matter what point you're at, while others are less frequent and seem to be timed to coincide with obvious stopping points like you might see on TV.

And no I will not subscribe to avoid these stupid things.  

On 10/31/2021 at 10:11 PM, 89AKurt said:

Bradshaw Mountain is wonderful.  Years ago had to take another cat in with cancer in the ear, so put him down.  I didn't get the ## treatment, they understood.  Cooper has some plastic drain device in his ear, shaking 🤢 everywhere.

Not sure where all she tried, but I doubt she drove all the way to PV for a vet since she lived off of Willow Creek near Hastings / Safeway.

Her human doctor at Yavapai Medical Center was just as bad. If they had paid more attention to the "spot" on her lung that they found in 2004 the outcome of her life here in Sacramento in 2012 may have been a little better.

Glad Cooper has a good vet! I enjoy your photos of your road trips. I never really got to explore the area much until my trips down there by myself to get the house ready to sell. I realized how many cool things there were there that we never did when we were visiting her.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monty said:

.... Who sets the number of ads that play in a given video?  .....  

What ads?  (For me, AdBlock seems to kill 'em all off almost all the time, but every once in a while, one tries to load at the beginning of a video, but they usually disappear before the load is complete)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Russell C said:

What ads?  (For me, AdBlock seems to kill 'em all off almost all the time, but every once in a while, one tries to load at the beginning of a video, but they usually disappear before the load is complete)

I've got AdBlock, and for the most part it works very well.  

It seems YouTube is trying to monetize everything that's played on there since they constantly offer "subscriptions", but I'm not doing that.

22 hours ago, Rodent said:

Not sure where all she tried, but I doubt she drove all the way to PV for a vet since she lived off of Willow Creek near Hastings / Safeway.

Her human doctor at Yavapai Medical Center was just as bad. If they had paid more attention to the "spot" on her lung that they found in 2004 the outcome of her life here in Sacramento in 2012 may have been a little better.

Glad Cooper has a good vet! I enjoy your photos of your road trips. I never really got to explore the area much until my trips down there by myself to get the house ready to sell. I realized how many cool things there were there that we never did when we were visiting her.

I haven't heard positive things about YRMC, before CV1984 hit.   Thanks to the comment about trips, I've gone nuts on the Chevy truck forum posting pictures.

New irk for today, had a client change window types and sizes on his house, without telling me until I had to fill out the energy code worksheet.   Good thing I caught it before the plans went in for permit.  I could post something every day about work, but won't bore everyone.