Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I'm building the Dick Tracy Space Coupe. It's yellow. Y'all know just how many coats of paint that takes. Wipe off the hull, put down a coat. Set it aside to dry. I notice a cat hair on it. It's Shasta's. She's been gone 5 months, but here it is. I'd like to think she just wanted to say hello. Thankfully, the hair wasn't embedded in the paint. 

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I won't work if you actually plan it. It only works because of The Natural Cussedness of the Universe. :lol:

This has happened with these lights in the past. We used these same lights at our old house on the railing around the deck. The wind can get pretty windy hear in the edge of the Pierie and these thing would bang around on the railing.  This would cause some sections to work off and on. They have worked thru ice storms and snow, wind is the only thing that seems to effect them.  

We got our first storm here yesterday. Heavy, heavy wet snow! I spent most of today blowing and shovelling snow. Then a couple hours later the loader comes down the back lane because it’s garbage day and the lane always gets plugged solid about five houses west of us. So there was a big ridge of heavy snow that I had to get back out and clean up before it froze into a solid wall of ice. I even had to get the big snow scoop out because the blower couldn’t handle it.

Edited by NOBLNG

The thing is, fast food jobs were never meant to be a long term career. It’s intended to be a first job for a teenager, a temporary job to get back on your feet, or a part time job for a college student. If you stick with the job then you’re supposed to move up within the company, not continue to be a line cook at 35 years old. 

These jobs are not that physically demanding, they’re not complicated, and there’s no prior experience or education needed to qualify for these jobs. That’s why they have historically been minimum wage jobs.

If you’re qualified and able to make more than minimum wage, then there’s no sense in barking up Ronald McDonald’s tree. Just my 0.02.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:52 PM, Scott8950 said:

It wouldn't matter if they made 40 bucks an hour it would still be the same crappy service. 

I’m babysitting folks who make that right now, some of which are pretty much useless. 

23 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

The thing is, fast food jobs were never meant to be a long term career. It’s intended to be a first job for a teenager, a temporary job to get back on your feet, or a part time job for a college student. If you stick with the job then you’re supposed to move up within the company, not continue to be a line cook at 35 years old. 

If you are 45 years old and still making minimum wage YOU are the problem!

My wife worked in HR for a school bus company. They were hiring drivers for $15-20 an hour for a 6 hr day. She’d talk about the applications from people who at 45 had never held more than minimum wage retail type jobs.  The company would even pay people to get their CDLs.  And their expectation for applicants wasn’t that high!  They lost many of them on the drivers license history, the drug test or criminal histories. 

Okay my chuckle of the day… we had our first model club meeting (we had Zoom meetings during the pandemic) in a year and a half!  It was great to get together!

We always have food from a specific shop that does excellent fried chicken and acceptable pizza. I went to my phone to call in our usual order… no answer! I even dialed back! 

We thought it was weird, so Tim and I agreed to drive over there. This is what we found:

2FB3F99C-1E5E-4EA3-8665-91DA8F81B587.jpeg.b7d956a39f56953fd20d5d880aaadc8e.jpeg

A hole in the ground! We thought maybe the store shut down (we were hoping they were maybe too busy to answer the phone), but we weren’t prepared to find the entire building missing!

Man, the things that have changed in a year and a half!

Note- we went to their other location and indeed were fed.

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Okay my chuckle of the day… we had our first model club meeting (we had Zoom meetings during the pandemic) in a year and a half!  It was great to get together!

We always have food from a specific shop that does excellent fried chicken and acceptable pizza. I went to my phone to call in our usual order… no answer! I even dialed back! 

We thought it was weird, so Tim and I agreed to drive over there. This is what we found:

A hole in the ground! We thought maybe the store shut down (we were hoping they were maybe too busy to answer the phone), but we weren’t prepared to find the entire building missing!

Almost related story - last Christmas Day my wife and I were driving early morning to visit her family, and we thought we’d try the local McDonald’s to see if we could grab coffee for the road.  I pulled into the parking lot and spotted pretty quickly that they were indeed closed (no great surprise), but some guy who was in the parking lot flagged us down.

Rolled down the window, guy comes over - “they’re not open?!” he says.  “Nope - closed for Christmas I guess” I reply.  “How am I meant to collect my order?” he asks, frustrated…

Turned out he’d ordered like $80 worth of breakfasts and drinks and snacks for some big family gathering via their app…and there was no one there to make it.  The app didn’t care if they were open or not, it still took his order and told him to drive to the store to collect it 😂

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

2FB3F99C-1E5E-4EA3-8665-91DA8F81B587.jpeg.b7d956a39f56953fd20d5d880aaadc8e.jpeg

On our way to Hobby Lobby a few months ago we hadn’t been the way my wife went and found the Steak and Shake torn down and  gone, torn down and a different building there. My wife said Steak and Shake went bankrupt..