Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 11/12/2021 at 9:42 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

The thing is, fast food jobs were never meant to be a long term career. It’s intended to be a first job for a teenager, a temporary job to get back on your feet, or a part time job for a college student. If you stick with the job then you’re supposed to move up within the company, not continue to be a line cook at 35 years old. 

These jobs are not that physically demanding, they’re not complicated, and there’s no prior experience or education needed to qualify for these jobs. That’s why they have historically been minimum wage jobs.

If you’re qualified and able to make more than minimum wage, then there’s no sense in barking up Ronald McDonald’s tree. Just my 0.02.

When my ex wife and I was getting a divorce, I applied and was hired  at Hardee’s. I did it to stay busy and keep my mind off things. Fun job enjoyed cooking closing but they kept giving too many hours I was working 58 at my regular job. I gave them quality work.  They had some real basket cases that was 30 years ago..

On 11/12/2021 at 10:42 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

The thing is, fast food jobs were never meant to be a long term career. It’s intended to be a first job for a teenager, a temporary job to get back on your feet, or a part time job for a college student. If you stick with the job then you’re supposed to move up within the company, not continue to be a line cook at 35 years old. 

These jobs are not that physically demanding, they’re not complicated, and there’s no prior experience or education needed to qualify for these jobs. That’s why they have historically been minimum wage jobs.

If you’re qualified and able to make more than minimum wage, then there’s no sense in barking up Ronald McDonald’s tree. Just my 0.02.

I mean someone's gotta be there to cook a quick bite to eat after we bust out butts at real jobs 

This subject has irked me in the past several years when they try to justify raising the minimum wage basing it on the poor fast food workers that aren't able to support a family, etc. As stated above, that's not what these jobs are meant to be.

Back in the high school days everyone I knew started out doing minimum wage jobs somewhere and moved on to better paying jobs. We bought a crappy used car to get around and moved on to a better one when we could afford it.

Seems times have changed as everyone wants and expects the best from the get-go.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

This subject has irked me in the past several years when they try to justify raising the minimum wage basing it on the poor fast food workers that aren't able to support a family, etc. As stated above, that's not what these jobs are meant to be.

Back in the high school days everyone I knew started out doing minimum wage jobs somewhere and moved on to better paying jobs. We bought a crappy used car to get around and moved on to a better one when we could afford it.

Seems times have changed as everyone wants and expects the best from the get-go.

Quoted for truth. 

I've said for some time now that one of our problems is everyone expects to be paid UAW wages for their work, but pay Walmart prices for their purchases. It ain't gonna work that way, folks. :unsure:

15 hours ago, slusher said:

On our way to Hobby Lobby a few months ago we hadn’t been the way my wife went and found the Steak and Shake torn down and  gone, torn down and a different building there. My wife said Steak and Shake went bankrupt..

They are still in business but far fewer stores than just a few years ago.  They morphed it to a franchise system (aka buying yourself a job).  For a laugh I went out to their website......check their spin on the benefits of being your own boss:

• Become a Franchise Partner with a $10,000 investment
  • Earn 50% of restaurant profits
  • Unlimited earning potential

It is one of the cheaper franchise fees if you have the interest in owning own.  What they DON'T share:

• Headaches of staffing (I cant imagine what a pain this is nowadays) 
  • You use the franchisor vendors of which they get a cut of the sale
  • You use the franchisor software, again they get a fee for the
  • Sales promotions come from your profit, not the fee paid the franchisor (ask a Subway owner about the $5 footlong promotion)
  • Franchisee suffered in bad promotions (Jared from Subway, no Tuna in the Tuna sub)

I managed a site in a previous life where there was a Subway.  He owner about seven of them and made a good living but I'm too old to deal with all the BS he had to do.

The day started well, but... Went to a car club event at Heritage Square in L.A. yesterday and had a good time with my friends. My drive back in my rusty '98 Buick Century was not without adventure... On the 210 freeway heading east, I hear a banging under the right rear of the car; I was in slow traffic and couldn't get off to look under. Thought it might be a loose e-brake cable or some piece of freeway debris. The noise stopped before I pulled off and took a quick look underneath; saw nothing hanging so I crossed my fingers and drove the next 90 miles home. Crawled under it this morning and found that the rear trailing arm was broken and missing several inches out of the middle... default_ohmy2.png.114ddd6f462514909a34a5597648d5f2.png

What's the old phrase, "God watches over children and fools"? Ironically I'd just ordered all new struts for it (they were on the porch when I got home), so I put in another order to Rock Auto for trailing arms. My mechanic will be busy this week...

On 11/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

First off it depends on the area. In Oroville the majority of the jobs are minimum wage. Second its not just fast food places that get paid minimum wage. Health care workers that take care of the elderly don't get more than minimum wage. In addition to that a lot of minimum wage jobs are less than 40 hours a week. Compound that with a lack of affordable housing. 

I have dropped my phone a lot. Its never broken. i have even dropped it outside on the pavement. 

Last Night i dropped it on the carpet in my living room and the screen cracked. 

Its over 200 to fix so im just going to use it as is because thats too much

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HomerS said:

• Franchisee suffered in bad promotions (Jared from Subway, no Tuna in the Tuna sub)

Not to mention the "footlongs" that came up short.  A few years back, Subway tried to claim that they owned the term "footlong", and even the hot dog restaurants that had been using the term since the Thirties were all supposed to stop.  Most of them just ignored Subway, but someone posted on social media a picture of a "footlong" that came in at about 10-1/2".  Their legal campaign pretty much ran out of steam at that point...

What irked me today?

A plethora of pontificating fools who run off at the mouth without knowing what they're talking about...particularly when, with a little applied reading or listening skill, they'd see they're not actually addressing the question being asked anyway.

It's all too common...probably not any more common than in days past, but the internet provides so many opportunities for idiots to show their stuff, it just seems like it.

Though lotsa folks get knotty knickers whenever the Dunning-Kruger effect is mentioned, some even going so far as to claim it's been "debunked", from my perspective it looks to be alive and well.

https://www.thoughtco.com/dunning-kruger-effect-4157431

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A plethora of pontificating fools who run off at the mouth without knowing what they're talking about...

There are several whole cable channels based on that very idea, as well as numerous programs on "regular" TV. :rolleyes:

My mom wanted to go down Diamond Creek on the Hualapai Reservation, which goes to the Colorado River.  Took her Accord.  Got a flat about half a mile from the end, put the stupid spare on, got to the river.  Thank God some Jeep people were there, they offered to fix the tire, which they did.  Today I took my compressor over to my mom, discovered the spare had only 10PSI, should have 60.  Car was recently at the dealer, they didn't bother checking the stupid spare, because you have to remove it to get to the valve.

Today, pretty much applies to the past year, the building departments in my area are swamped, because the construction industry is booming here because everyone is escaping to here.  Bad enough to have to use their website portal, that's another story.  Have a job that I applied for a permit October 01, so a month and a half ago.  The department head was recently fired for being a richardhead, for various reasons, but everyone is glad he is gone.  They will nitpick, then it will be another month before they are blessed with a permit.  I keep telling them this is why nobody wants to get a permit, if they can get away with it.

I'm surprised that the spare didn't gradually go flat while you were driving on it.  When they are way underinflated, they will let more air out when you hit a bump or do any hard cornering.  I check mine whenever checking the tires on the car, I figure I've already dragged the compressor outside anyway...

Sticking to the theme of tires.. what drives me nuts is people lining up at the free air pump at the Wawa store. Then they go to each corner of their vehicle and try to put air in all the tires… while I’m waiting! Tonight some lady must’ve heard her phone ringing in the car.. she opened the door and answered her phone.. stopped pumping while she proceeded to talk on the friggin phone!  At least the guy in front of me honked at her!  Then of course he proceeded to do the all four tire thing. 

I guess nobody owns an air gauge? When I get to the pump I quickly add air to the ONE tire that needs it!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have a small Husky compressor in the garage with a long hose. I can check the tires cold. Both cars have the spare upside down, so they are a pain to check but I try at least once a year. Valve stem points down on the truck, so it's easy to check. Had a Ranger that pointed up. Had to drop the spare to air it up.

This is also the same compressor that powers my airbrush. Three air pressure gauges in my toolbox and one in each vehicle. The TPMS systems in the cars aren't smart enough to tell you which tire is low if the light comes on.

Just now, peteski said:

Some cars do show which tire has low pressure, but those are usually not the lower end cars.

Shoulda said OUR cars.

We have the top trim levels of lower end cars, LOL. 2018 Focus (Titanium) and a 2016 Mazda3 (S Grand Touring). The Mazda uses an indirect system (uses ABS wheel speed sensors). Kinda glad that the Focus has a "dumb" system with individual sensors, as did the last one. That way I didn't have to buy yet another tool to train the sensors when the tires are rotated.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sticking to the theme of tires.. what drives me nuts is people lining up at the free air pump at the Wawa store. Then they go to each corner of their vehicle and try to put air in all the tires… while I’m waiting! Tonight some lady must’ve heard her phone ringing in the car.. she opened the door and answered her phone.. stopped pumping while she proceeded to talk on the friggin phone!  At least the guy in front of me honked at her!  Then of course he proceeded to do the all four tire thing. 

I guess nobody owns an air gauge? When I get to the pump I quickly add air to the ONE tire that needs it!  

That’s why I own an air compressor and an air tank. I could never get to the air hose at the only place with free air.  Now there is no free air in this town and just about every where. A tire gauge is a must in the glovebox..

In the hospital again . Now is the 4th time in the last 5 months. 3 of them for the same problem infected leg wounds from bypass surgery. All together just sucks in general from being out of work to barely able to walk for months . Very stressful and depressing to say the least. So that's what irked me today ..pretty much everything about my current situation.lol thanks for listening guys ! I appreciate it 

5 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

In the hospital again . Now is the 4th time in the last 5 months. 3 of them for the same problem infected leg wounds from bypass surgery. All together just sucks in general from being out of work to barely able to walk for months . Very stressful and depressing to say the least. So that's what irked me today ..pretty much everything about my current situation.lol thanks for listening guys ! I appreciate it 

Wow. Makes being irritated about not getting free tire air pretty small potatoes. You are way too young (looked at your profile) to be having these issues. Hospitals suck.

• Like 1