Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

17 hours ago, HomerS said:

After the city did a survey a couple years ago, the city leaders decided to not pursue a curbside recycling program.  There are several dumpsters in an inconvenient location but they are regularly filled so the residents are doing the right thing.  In that survey, I told them I had no interest as I recycle the pops cans from our house as well as the mother in law's Diet Dr Pepper addiction and all that $$ goes to a specific animal rescue.

Now that inflation is up, the city decided to slip one past the goalie and start the curbside program at a monthly cost of $4/month....and no way to opt out.  I will continue to recycle the pop cans for the animals so I'll toss a pizza box in the bin every week just to make it inconvenient for the driver to stop every week.

I like the Pizza box idea. They had a news bit on the 5pm news about the local problems with recycling and how it was costing too much. Part of the problem had to do with recycled cardboard that had been used as a food wrapper. Seems that if any food stuff at all was ever on the cardboard that cardboard couldn't be used and had to be removed by hand at the recycle center and that was costing them a lot as well.  

5 minutes ago, espo said:

Seems that if any food stuff at all was ever on the cardboard that cardboard couldn't be used and had to be removed by hand at the recycle center and that was costing them a lot as well.  

We got yelled at about this in the town newsletter.

We pay for our trash by the bag!  They sell the township labeled black bags at the local supermarkets for $3 each.  So there is a big incentive to recycle!

We also pay an annual recycling fee to the town.  Same vendor picks up both the trash and recycling every Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Pulled something in my back today.  I was doing some chores and moved a box...  now its painful to do just about anything.  I have the computer on the kitchen island and I'm standing here leaning forward.

I'll have to see  how I do over night..

I did that earlier this year. Was in excruciating pain for two or three days, and couldn't get out of a chair without a cane for about a week. Good luck to you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Pulled something in my back today.  I was doing some chores and moved a box...  now its painful to do just about anything.  I have the computer on the kitchen island and I'm standing here leaning forward.

Take something for the pain and try to get a good nights sleep. good luck !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Tom, I got an inflamed shoulder and felt. Like a torn rotator. The bone and joint doctor didn’t think so so after a steroid shot maybe I can get back too my models. Had to be my good arm..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HomerS said:

After the city did a survey a couple years ago, the city leaders decided to not pursue a curbside recycling program.  There are several dumpsters in an inconvenient location but they are regularly filled so the residents are doing the right thing.  In that survey, I told them I had no interest as I recycle the pops cans from our house as well as the mother in law's Diet Dr Pepper addiction and all that $$ goes to a specific animal rescue.

Now that inflation is up, the city decided to slip one past the goalie and start the curbside program at a monthly cost of $4/month....and no way to opt out.  I will continue to recycle the pop cans for the animals so I'll toss a pizza box in the bin every week just to make it inconvenient for the driver to stop every week.

who wants to participate can and you get a ble can. Separate truck picks it up. Good for the environment but it’s voluntary here..

17 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

We got yelled at about this in the town newsletter.

We pay for our trash by the bag!  They sell the township labeled black bags at the local supermarkets for $3 each.  So there is a big incentive to recycle!

We also pay an annual recycling fee to the town.  Same vendor picks up both the trash and recycling every Tuesday.

We have had a long running argument with the city as to the trash pickup. Up until about ten years ago there were a few options on local trash companies that we could use for trash pick up and we would be billed directly by which ever company that a homeowner was using. Then the city passed an ordinance that the city would provide the trash service and use one company and the city billed the residence monthly and in our case the service cost use about 25% more and the service was hit, and mis and the trucks leaked hydraulic fluids at the end of the driveway on every pickup. At City Hall Meeting we were told that we had no choice in the matter and that even if we wanted to use our original trash company, we would still have to pay the monthly fee. As for the cardboard and recycle item's again that was thru the city, and you still had to pay. My suggestion is for anyone that is unhappy with the way their city is conducting business is to start attending the city hall meetings and listen to what they city console is saying and doing. They should offer an open time to residents that have questions, and I would use that time to offer objections, if need be, This city has had a long history of annexing surrounding areas that are part of the county so that they can tax the homeowners without providing any additional services. This got to the point that the state of Kansas passed new laws that forbid some of these actions by cities and protect the citizens from illegal annexations in the future. Unfortunately, it was not retroactive and we were unable to stop our being annexed even though a group of our residents along with those of another larger city near us were the ones that got our state representatives to get the laws enacted. 

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Another update to the iPhone that makes it harder to use . If it ain’t broke don’t fix it !!! 

The 21st Century motto seems to be, "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"  Goes right along with "We're not happy until YOU'RE not happy!" :lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The 21st Century motto seems to be, "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!" 

Excellent. I'll be using that, for sure.

49 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...Goes right along with "We're not happy until YOU'RE not happy!" 

"...and we have you tied up in so many knots there's not a damm thing you can do about it."

Thanks guys!  Back is a lot better today. Still taking heavy duty Tylenol, but got to work!  I feared I’d have to call out!

Garbage.. back in NJ the town had a contract with one trash hauler.  Then they opted out and said you could hire anyone you wanted!  We had trash wars! Companies knocking at your door looking for the business!

The sad part.. they all collected on different days, so you’d  get woke up 6 mornings a week!  

4 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Thanks guys!  Back is a lot better today. Still taking heavy duty Tylenol, but got to work!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Mine, the "pull" happened on, IIRC, a Thursday, and by Sunday it was so bad I could hardly move around at all, and even codeine wasn't having much effect. Was pretty bad for about a week. Continued good luck to you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...Mine, the "pull" happened on, IIRC, a Thursday, and by Sunday it was so bad I could hardly move around at all, and even codeine wasn't having much effect. Was pretty bad for about a week...

Yup, I used to get that at least a couple times a year.

Sometimes all it took to trigger it was picking up a light bag of groceries...and then immediately I could barely make it up 5 steps.

Crazy part is that I could usually still lift and carry bare V8 engine blocks and assembled US car gearboxes with no problem whatsoever (still can).

I've found that conscientious core-muscle exercise and hamstring and quad stretches pretty much keep the back problems in check. Staying hydrated helps too.

Your body is a machine. Maintain it and use it or lose it.   B)