Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Things in general. My 2 dogs have become finicky eaters lately. Eat a little and then walk off and maybe decide to eat the rest later or expect us to enhance the meal with some apple or carrot pieces and then they'll eat which I don't do all the time so they will eventually eat anyway. Used to be easy to feed them.

Called my pharmacy a couple weeks ago with my new Providence Medicare numbers to have them update everything so when I pick up my prescription we'll be ready. Nope. Today it came up with the old coverage so had to show the girl my card and update it. Wonder if this will happen with every different pill I go pick up until they figure it out. You try to make things smooth but people can't do their job.

This morning working on models was one of those times I'd glue one thing and knock some other part off. Also building the Mooneyes dragster and not that impressed with it. I like building the older models sometimes because of the simplicity but this one doesn't strike me that way. I'll soldier on and hope it looks good when I'm done.

It's tough to support a small business when they post something on their Facebook page as having in stock but when you see it days later (I'm not on the computer every day) then dont answer e-mails, phone calls or Facebook messenger if its still in stock.  They finally answered via e-mail over a week later.  Sorry I sourced it elsewhere already.

I don’t usually like to complain about things that can mostly be resolved with a little imagination but, today I pulled out of my stash the out of production Trumpeter ‘63 Nova coupe. Still sealed in the original cellophane! Decided it was time to build this one in dedication to my high school sweetheart. She drove one of these in our senior year and taught me how to drive a stick in it! We graduated in ‘77 and she went off to college. We were talking about possibly getting married after she finished school and got a job teaching special education. The degree she was studying for. But in ‘79 she was killed in a bad accident while taking a break from her studies to go for a bike ride and was hit by a van driving way too fast for the road conditions. Never saw her on the curving hilly street they were on. This broke my heart for a long time! I still think about her and what might have been. Anyway, I’m getting into this kit and as is my habit planning my project sequence for paint, assembly, etc. start taking inventory of the parts and find that the left headlight bucket is missing! Now mind you, this kit has not been opened and still sealed in its bags! I think well, maybe it’s a short shot! This is the chrome tree and the chrome covers the nub where the part should be! But everything else is molded sharp and complete so after close examination it appears that the part must have pulled or broke off before chroming! Needless to say I am more than peeved! I don’t have to tell anyone here that this is a difficult and expensive kit to get these days! I got lucky and was able to acquire this kit from an estate sale at a reasonable price with all intentions of building it. Now I’m stuck unless I can get a replacement or figure out something! Maybe the AMT repop wagon kit will fit. I don’t know. Right now I’m too POed to think straight! 
Anyway, thanks for letting me rant!

On 12/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, espo said:

On the surface this sounds like an odd explanation. The reason I say this is they should be able to get a Bank Credit Line to buy or even lease amy type of manufacturing equipment. I know only the most basic and probably even misinformation about some of the government programs in place to assist companies that are wanting to invest in equipment. Either way I hope it all works out to your advantage and they restore your income and maybe even a bonus for hanging in there for them.  

It does seem really odd. Given how much money the company makes, they can more than afford new equipment. More than likely, they are over their budget for the quarter and need to trim down wherever they can. If that's the case, why couldn't they have just told us that, instead? 

8 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Had a parcel returned by the customs service in the usa. Apparently model car parts wasnt specific enough so now I have to send it again. I always use the same terms so I'm stumped as to why it was refused. 

When I've shipped models (haven't shipped just parts) I put "Plastic Scale Model Kit" as the contents. Don't know if this helps. "Plastic scale model kit parts" should be fairly descriptive. Then again...

18 hours ago, metalhead said:

It does seem really odd. Given how much money the company makes, they can more than afford new equipment. More than likely, they are over their budget for the quarter and need to trim down wherever they can. If that's the case, why couldn't they have just told us that, instead? 

Maybe the person or persons that didn't control their budget should be the ones giving up any bonuses or basic income since the problem was their creation in the first place. All too often it seems that the people responsible for the problem get to coast and the workers have to suffer. 

My employer arranged for me to complete a (virtual) class to learn 3d modelling in a CAD software package.  Great, I really wanna learn more about that.  They guy they found to train me, however, is either really unlucky, or a flake...

The course is 4 weeks, with a half day session per week.

Week 1:  The teacher's dog got bitten by a skunk and he had to take him to the vet.  Course pushed back a week

Week 2: Course completed

Week 3:  The teacher's hot water heater exploded, course put back a week.

Week 4: Couldn't get a hold of the guy - he emailed me later that day and said he "totally spaced on the training" and can we do it next week

Week 5: This week - guess we'll see! :D  Santa stuck in the chimney?  The reindeer ate his course notes? :D:D:D

I should've completed this training already and I've only managed to get half a day under my belt...can't wait to see what this week's mishap will be!

39 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Never heard of a dog getting "bitten" by a skunk. Also, never heard of a water heater exploding. And then he spaced on the training? Sheesh.

Funny thing was, when I asked him later how his dog was he said "My dog?! Fine....?" and I said "After the thing with the skunk?" and he said "Ohhhh, righttttt, yeah yeah yeah - ummmm, yeah, he's fine, kinda stinky".

Sounded totally legit :D

47 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Never heard of a dog getting "bitten" by a skunk. Also, never heard of a water heater exploding. And then he spaced on the training? Sheesh.

I doubt if a dog would still be interested in a skunk once he had been sprayed by one. Water heaters on the other hand I have had a few that turned into an indoor fountain in the basement. That is a very expensive thrill.  

Tracking info is pretty much useless. Last Monday I got the tracking info from UPS saying it will be delivered by 9 pm Sunday which I knew wasn't going to happen because UPS doesn't deliver on Sunday. Today the tracking says "delay" and "will let you know when they get more info". Delay.....no kidding.

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Week 5: This week - guess we'll see! :D  Santa stuck in the chimney?  The reindeer ate his course notes? :D:D:D

Reindeer antler impalement of a short in stature co-worker resulted in detour to the lone Urgent Care at the North Pole   (just in case 'elf' is no longer a PC term)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, espo said:

They along with a few other breeds seem to have a Napoleonic complex and are not easily intimidated. 

And the smallest are the most intense...I've had Yorkies, West Highland White Terriers, Australian Terriers, Silkys, and Cairns...my 6lb Yorkie girl is the biggest diva...

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

And the smallest are the most intense...I've had Yorkies, West Highland White Terriers, Australian Terriers, Silkys, and Cairns...my 6lb Yorkie girl is the biggest diva...

Another breed that usually is very affectionate is the Dachshund. The exception would be if you get one that thinks it's protecting its people. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, espo said:

Another breed that usually is very affectionate is the Dachshund. The exception would be if you get one that thinks it's protecting its people

I used to know an Air Force colonel who had a Chihuahua that musta seen a Doberman when it looked in the mirror.

Good thing I didn't drop-kick the little fella when it went after my ankle. I'd still be peeling potatoes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I used to know an Air Force colonel who had a Chihuahua that musta seen a Doberman when it looked in the mirror.

Good thing I didn't drop-kick the little fella when it went after my ankle. I'd still be peeling potatoes.

I girl I had a crush on in high scool had a standard Poodle. I was terrified whenever she left the room. I just know that dog thought I was a chew bone. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

They along with a few other breeds seem to have a Napoleonic complex and are not easily intimidated. 

I have a Jack Russell mix that fits that category.  Lived in this town 50 plus years, never had a coyote.  Suddenly one comes through the yard of the house diagonally behind us, jumps the fence and Turner goes full blast down the yard.  My Aussie had the look like the friend at the bar knowing her buddy is about to get his *** kicked so she had to go save him. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TonyK said:

Tracking info is pretty much useless. Last Monday I got the tracking info from UPS saying it will be delivered by 9 pm Sunday which I knew wasn't going to happen because UPS doesn't deliver on Sunday. Today the tracking says "delay" and "will let you know when they get more info". Delay.....no kidding.

Sorry to hear about the UPS problems. I, on the other hand had just the opposite experience,  My UPS package (from Germany of all the places) arrived exactly on time. I kept getting email updates, and when they notified me that the package was on the truck, out for delivery I was actually given a link to a live map showing the truck's location. They use Google maps and I could actually see the truck stopping at several destinations before getting to my address.  I was home at the time so when the map showed it at my address, I looked out of the window and it was there!  Except that it was not a UPS truck but a civilian SUV. The delivery guy (i an official UPS vest) got the package out and delivered it to my house.  I came out and thanked him. I also said jokingly that I expected a standard UPS delivery truck.  He laughed and wished me happy holidays.  This was a weekday delivery.  This was  one of those UPS next day deliveries, so maybe that is why I had the special treatment.

In my area, around Christmas time, all the carriers deliver packages 7 days a week.  I just had another package delivered to my mailbox bu USPS on a Sunday (yesterday).  It was one of those "Smart Post"  joint UPS/USPS shipments.