Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I normally prefer UPS to the other carriers as they are the most reliable. Don't know what the issue is this time but it's not like them to be this flaky. The UPS driver that delivers in our neighborhood is the best. Friendly guy who always waves at me when I'm walking the dogs and I try to walk to his truck when I know he's coming to save him the trip up to our porch. The local mail carrier is real good too. It's the USPS "out there" somewhere that screws up my delivery time and destination half the time. FedEx is hit and miss.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, CabDriver said:

My employer arranged for me to complete a (virtual) class to learn 3d modelling in a CAD software package.  Great, I really wanna learn more about that.  They guy they found to train me, however, is either really unlucky, or a flake...

The course is 4 weeks, with a half day session per week.

Week 1:  The teacher's dog got bitten by a skunk and he had to take him to the vet.  Course pushed back a week

Week 2: Course completed

Week 3:  The teacher's hot water heater exploded, course put back a week.

Week 4: Couldn't get a hold of the guy - he emailed me later that day and said he "totally spaced on the training" and can we do it next week

Week 5: This week - guess we'll see! :D  Santa stuck in the chimney?  The reindeer ate his course notes? :D:D:D

I should've completed this training already and I've only managed to get half a day under my belt...can't wait to see what this week's mishap will be!

A. Skunk 🦨 only has its. spay for defending itself and can spray more then once.  I have seen one dig under a fence because a dog was barking thru a glass door. The dig grubs and worms mostly.  I can’t see a sprayed dog  🐕 riding in a car going to the vet.  Vets make house calls.  Good luck Jim..

• Haha 1

Took the wife's Nissan to the dealer for an oil change (They only charge $39.95 for Mobil 1 synthetic so why not?) and while I am walking around spot one of the redesigned 2022 Frontier pickups. Salesman walks up and says "Wanna take it for a test drive?" 5 minutes later we are out cruising around and it's a nice truck and I am actually considering buying a truck after not having one for 25 years.

We go back inside and he gets my information and says without seeing my 2016 Accord, he will give me nearly what I paid for it in 2017! Crazy market but what the heck. Now the best part. He went on and on about how other dealers are marking vehicles up over MSRP because of no inventory, but not this dealership. However, they did add on $4,995 in "accessories" and when I pushed him about it, he said there was a lot of value added stuff like tinted windows, pinstriping, bed liner, wheel locks and the best- Nitrogen filled tires. I mentioned that all of those "accessories" didn't total but $700 at best and that I didn't want them. He replied- "That's the way we sell them, take it or leave it". Well, driving a paid for car is a lot better than lining the pockets of dealerships that are getting creative in dreaming up new revenue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Took the wife's Nissan to the dealer for an oil change (They only charge $39.95 for Mobil 1 synthetic so why not?) and while I am walking around spot one of the redesigned 2022 Frontier pickups. Salesman walks up and says "Wanna take it for a test drive?" 5 minutes later we are out cruising around and it's a nice truck and I am actually considering buying a truck after not having one for 25 years.

We go back inside and he gets my information and says without seeing my 2016 Accord, he will give me nearly what I paid for it in 2017! Crazy market but what the heck. Now the best part. He went on and on about how other dealers are marking vehicles up over MSRP because of no inventory, but not this dealership. However, they did add on $4,995 in "accessories" and when I pushed him about it, he said there was a lot of value added stuff like tinted windows, pinstriping, bed liner, wheel locks and the best- Nitrogen filled tires. I mentioned that all of those "accessories" didn't total but $700 at best and that I didn't want them. He replied- "That's the way we sell them, take it or leave it". Well, driving a paid for car is a lot better than lining the pockets of dealerships that are getting creative in dreaming up new revenue.

I'm in the industry, and these are crazy times. A lot of dealerships are making mandatory business office upgrades like you've described. Some dealers are just outright charging a fee above MSRP. Manufacturers have cancelled almost all retail programs.

The dealership I'm at now has a few rules on the Bronco and Super Duty trucks. Full MSRP, no discounts. Must be financed or have a maintenance/warranty plan added. Export agreement must be signed. And must be sold to a client in our region. 

I've been in the auto industry for 30 years, and this is the weirdest I've seen it in terms of supply.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

...stuff like tinted windows....

This irks me to no end.  Black windows where you can't see the intent of the person behind the wheel (not necessarily the driver).

Riding a bike, walking or I suspect being on a motorbike makes this dangerous at best.

Not sure why is gets passed over as legal?  Fines should be increased so enforcement makes a dent in curtailing this malpractice.

• Like 1

And let’s not forget, dealerships won’t haggle and come down on sticker price on used cars since no one has newer models in the showrooms or their lots.

One of the biggest pet peeve I hate and everyone hates is folks riding on the passing lane holding up the flow of traffic. Why? If you can’t go with the flow of traffic, get out of the passing lane!!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

And let’s not forget, dealerships won’t haggle and come down on sticker price on used cars since no one has newer models in the showrooms or their lots.

Correct! The lack of new inventory means used car prices are nuts. We have three year old lease returns coming back, and we're giving clients what they paid when the vehicle was new.

It is an excellent time to be selling a vehicle. Horrible time to be buying one. Unless you're buying from me, then it's excellent. :)

36 minutes ago, HomerS said:

That's so the recall notices can reach the owner timely.

Nope. It's more of a future allocation thing. In the normal times, we'll sell to anyone, anywhere. Which is what most dealers would do. Now, with the limited inventory, we are choosing to only sell within our local market. We only get so many vehicles, so we want to keep them here. 

• Haha 1

UPS. Careless and incompetent.

I was here today when the UPS driver literally THREW a box containing an expensive diecast model on the front porch. Yes, THREW it, so it bounced.

I unboxed it, and the RF suspension is sheered off. Fixable, but that's not the point.

The model was reasonably packed, and would have survived intact had it not been mishandled.

Going through the UPS "claim" filing site, they want as much documentation as a mortgage.

MODEL SUPPLIES: Went to my local plastic dealer/ to get some WeldOn3. I use it for my glueing as it set quickly and has good flow. I usually get a pint can and it lasts me a long time, loose more through evaporation then use.

He told me he only had the 4 oz cans and that it cost $26.00. I got one can and he also stated the pint can is around $50.00. I was disappointed at such a price hike. When I got home, I did a little surfing and found same product on Walmart and Amazon at much cheaper prices. Maybe the dealer should try another jobber.

greg

34 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

MODEL SUPPLIES: Went to my local plastic dealer/ to get some WeldOn3. I use it for my glueing as it set quickly and has good flow. I usually get a pint can and it lasts me a long time, loose more through evaporation then use.

He told me he only had the 4 oz cans and that it cost $26.00. I got one can and he also stated the pint can is around $50.00. I was disappointed at such a price hike. When I got home, I did a little surfing and found same product on Walmart and Amazon at much cheaper prices. Maybe the dealer should try another jobber.

Depending on how much of a mommy-state Ohio is compared to some others, you might be able to get it at a True Value Hardware store. I paid less than $20 for a quart in Az. a while back.

If you have Menards there, and if the state allows it, they show a gallon for about $25.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/solvents-cleaners-removers/thinners-solvents/sunnyside-reg-methyl-ethyl-ketone-thinner/847g1/p-1444444207120.htm

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The "claim" procedure really seems to be designed to discourage filing one, and to provide lotsa loopholes to deny one.

Well of COURSE  :D

Otherwise people would claim for issues like this more often and they'd have to stop their employees mishandling things and doing a poor job.  Heaven forbid they take good care of the packages they've been entrusted with (which they seem to forget AREN'T theirs, to treat as they see fit):D

(I too sent a package this week, and it arrived looking as though a forklift drove over it)

22 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Correct! The lack of new inventory means used car prices are nuts. We have three year old lease returns coming back, and we're giving clients what they paid when the vehicle was new.

It is an excellent time to be selling a vehicle. Horrible time to be buying one. Unless you're buying from me, then it's excellent. :)

Nope. It's more of a future allocation thing. In the normal times, we'll sell to anyone, anywhere. Which is what most dealers would do. Now, with the limited inventory, we are choosing to only sell within our local market. We only get so many vehicles, so we want to keep them here. 

Had my 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack (10,000 miles) serviced at the dealership last month before putting it away for the winter. About 2 days later I received an offer from them to buy it for more than 90% of what I paid for it. Not a trade in allowance, I didn't have to buy anything. They would rather pay up for a car they know than cross their fingers at an auction.

53 minutes ago, imarriedawitch said:

Had my 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack (10,000 miles) serviced at the dealership last month before putting it away for the winter. About 2 days later I received an offer from them to buy it for more than 90% of what I paid for it. Not a trade in allowance, I didn't have to buy anything. They would rather pay up for a car they know than cross their fingers at an auction.

Same for me. Ford dealership is willing to buy my 2019 for what I paid for it. I need and really like my truck though.

Sad trip to Walmart today. For about 6 months now, they're usually out of ONE thing on my regular shopping list, maybe two, but today was the first time I saw semi-widespread shortages.  

The entire toy car aisle was almost completely empty of Hot Wheels, diecasts, cheap RCs--EVERYTHING! 

No Red Sharpies, which I use in my model work. Haven't had them for at least 2 weeks. 

Wanted a mini hot glue gun. Didn't have 'em, had to buy a full size one, which I think is too much for what I want to do. 

Out of my brand of spray deodorant, as they have been for 2 or 3 weeks. Only TWO cans of ANY kind in the whole store! I bought one. Hope we like it. 

No unsalted crackers--haven't had them in at least 3 weeks. Had to get salted. 

No ginger snaps or vanilla wafers, any brand. 

Neither of my two preferred types of mustard--luckily I've been stockpiling them and have 3 or 4 bottles in reserve. 

Got the last two packages of my brand of English Muffins. Felt lucky to get them. 

Had to root around to find one of my preferred DiGiornio frozen pizzas--almost had to buy the Walmart brand. 

Long lines at the TWO open checkout counters (all they've had open for about 3 months now), even had to wait for a turn at a self serve. :angry:

Maybe things were bad because it's two days before Christmas, but somehow I have a feeling things are gonna get worse before they get better. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks.

Now that the edge of my anger has worn off, I'll probably just fix it and move on.

The "claim" procedure really seems to be designed to discourage filing one, and to provide lotsa loopholes to deny one.

You might want to share the information about your UPS experience with the shipper. Maybe with a little pressure from that end and maybe UPS may take some sort of action.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sad trip to Walmart today. For about 6 months now, they're usually out of ONE thing on my regular shopping list, maybe two, but today was the first time I saw semi-widespread shortages.  

The entire toy car aisle was almost completely empty of Hot Wheels, diecasts, cheap RCs--EVERYTHING!  

No Red Sharpies, which I use in my model work. Haven't had them for at least 2 weeks. 

Wanted a mini hot glue gun. Didn't have 'em, had to buy a full size one, which I think is too much for what I want to do. 

Out of my brand of spray deodorant, as they have been for 2 or 3 weeks. Only TWO cans of ANY kind in the whole store! I bought one. Hope we like it. 

Neither of my two preferred types of mustard--luckily I've been stockpiling them and have 3 or 4 bottles in reserve. 

Got the last two packages of my brand of English Muffins. Felt lucky to get them. 

Had to root around to find one of my preferred DiGiornio frozen pizzas--almost had to buy the Walmart brand. 

Long lines at the TWO open checkout counters (all they've had open for about 3 months now), even had to wait for a turn at a self serve. :angry:

Maybe things were bad because it's two days before Christmas, but somehow I have a feeling things are gonna get worse before they get better. :unsure:

Well, it is expected due to the holiday last minute shopping rush. No shortages of my usual grocery items at my Walmart but if there are, I do have 3 other grocery store options. Not a big deal. I doubt it's going to get worse before it gets better. That's the problem with folks reading too much into CNN or the news. Everybody gets caught up in the hype and hysteria on this so-called "shortages" over nothing. Take a deep breath and relax.... Walmart shouldn't be the only store to find what you're looking for. Target, Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, local drug store chains, grocery stores, etc...

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in months, but have used them online a bit...I mostly shop on Amazon (really like Whole Foods for groceries) but I have probably a 1/2 dozen local groceries w/ multiple locations to choose from (many are on Instacart for delivery, have also done curbside pickup), Walgreens less than a mile away..etc... never seem to have an issue finding anything I need.  Sometimes Whole Foods does weird substitutions when they are out of some things, though. 

Edited by Rob Hall

On 12/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, Snake45 said:

Check Walgreens my wife finds many things Walmart is out of…