Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

13 hours ago, espo said:

The owner is paying all this staff and half are hardly working and just talking to one another about their feelings and ignoring a paying customer. 

Drive thru takes priority! I’ve had very slow service inside places here. There is one employee for the inside customers and four or five tending to the drive thru window. You should alert the owner or manager in that case…although it may fall on deaf ears.🤨

The wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. People don't have the work ethic like it used to be. No one cares about doing a good job anymore. It's not in their DNA and it appears management doesn't care or have the ability to instill it into these workers.

Used to be we all did a good job because it made things run smoother and we all fed off each other to do a good job because it affects all of us as a whole. Didn't matter if it was flipping burgers or making pizza or working in a warehouse we were all working together to feel like it was a job well done.

Old guy rant over.

2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

...Old guy rant over.

You just said what I've been saying for a quite a while now.

There have always been slackers and shirkers, but it really does seem, to anyone who's actually out and about in the trenches in the business world, that things are getting worse and worse.

Neither of the shops I subcontract to has been able to hire anyone competent or motivated since 2017, and one has quit trying and will be winding down operations within a couple of years. All the people there now are old hands, in the biz for decades, but nobody who's come in has lasted more than a few weeks because they're just not worth the paper they're printed on.

What's inexplicable to me is that an income in the high 5 to low 6 figure range is possible for somebody with mechanical aptitude, reasonable intelligence, and a strong work ethic...and we can't find anybody.

I've been contracting for over 20 years now, it seems it's us rather than the permanent staff who have the motivation to get stuff done - if we don't, we don't get counselling and training we just get given our marching orders!

I'm now 64 and busier than ever. 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, DonW said:

I've been contracting for over 20 years now, it seems it's us rather than the permanent staff who have the motivation to get stuff done - if we don't, we don't get counselling and training we just get given our marching orders!

I'm now 64 and busier than ever. 

I've alternated between contracting and full-time positions over most of my career in software development over the last 20+ years.  Done contracts lasting from 3 months to 6 1/2 years, been an employee at my current position almost 1 year.  There is never a shortage of work in my field, always plenty of good paying gigs and plenty of them now remote (which I like, worked out of my house for over 4 1/2 years).   I still enjoy it...

What irked me today? After having been a subcontractor with one vintage car shop here since 2016, and NEVER having a single tool go missing, a couple hundred bucks worth of electrical tools and test equipment disappeared the same time they fired the last useless bozo.

Though the shop locks have all been changed now, there had been a nice atmosphere of trust and comaraderie...so I wasn't scrupulous about always putting all my tools up and locking my boxes on days I wouldn't be there.

Mea culpa I guess...but that's baloney. A thief is a thief. 

26 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

What irked me today? After having been a subcontractor with one vintage car shop here since 2016, and NEVER having a single tool go missing, a couple hundred bucks worth of electrical tools and test equipment disappeared the same time they fired the last useless bozo.

Though the shop locks have all been changed now, there had been a nice atmosphere of trust and comaraderie...so I wasn't scrupulous about always putting all my tools up and locking my boxes on days I wouldn't be there.

Mea culpa I guess...but that's baloney. A thief is a thief. 

I HATE that - have they got CCTV? 

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

...have they got CCTV? 

Yeah, but I haven't been able to get with management yet to see how far back their recordings go.

Another thing is that the tools in question could have walked off at any time during the weeks I was on the road and in Az.

It wasn't until this week when I started back on a massive wiring project that I noticed stuff missing, and the bozo has been gone for two weeks already.

Guess I should be glad my $700 electric impact wrench is still there.  :mellow:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Sad 1

My wife was to fly out of Sky Harbor tomorrow to go visit my daughter and grandson in Virginia. Plane was to have two stops both in Colorado. She got a message about an hour ago saying her flight was cancelled. She has been on hold since trying to see why it was cancelled and if there is another flight on the same day or next day she can get on. We didn't get to see them over the holidays so she was/is itching to go. First time Southwest let us down.

Woke up on New Year's Day with major flu symptoms. Felt awful all weekend.

Got a Covid test on Monday. Got positive results back today.

Now i have to stay home until I am symptom-free. Luckily, I can actually do about 70% of my job from any computer, so that's been fine.

But I HATE not being able to go anywhere. Technically not even supposed to take the dog for a walk, as that would be outside our yard. Not that I actually want to go anywhere, but I actually can't.

Still... it was -30 yesterday. Is -32 right now, and tomorrow morning will be -35 plus the windchill. So maybe staying at home isn't such a bad thing.

Wakened this morning by a cramp in my left calf. I managed to get to my feet to try and walk it off but I lost my balance and fell backwards into the tv set knocking if off it's stand and me landing on the floor. Right now I have a gash on my back and ache in places I didn't know could ache.

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

My wife was to fly out of Sky Harbor tomorrow to go visit my daughter and grandson in Virginia. Plane was to have two stops both in Colorado. She got a message about an hour ago saying her flight was cancelled. She has been on hold since trying to see why it was cancelled and if there is another flight on the same day or next day she can get on. We didn't get to see them over the holidays so she was/is itching to go. First time Southwest let us down.

Between staff off sick and limits to the hours a flight crew can work they're probably having a tough time right now keeping the operation running.

The wind. I hate wind. We've had more wind the last year or two than ever before. Sometimes it's just windy and sometimes (the last couple of weeks) it's so strong it roars. We have lots of fir trees behind us so that contributes to the noise day and night. Hard to get a decent nights sleep. Got to make sure things are secure when you open the garage door and the dogs aren't too fond of going out either. I'll take rain or snow over the annoying wind any day.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, imarriedawitch said:

Between staff off sick and limits to the hours a flight crew can work they're probably having a tough time right now keeping the operation running.

Must be the excuse du jour for Taco Bell and McD's and others here only allowing drive-through, no counter ordering or indoor dining.  ;)

59 minutes ago, TonyK said:

The wind. I hate wind. We've had more wind the last year or two than ever before. Sometimes it's just windy and sometimes (the last couple of weeks) it's so strong it roars. We have lots of fir trees behind us so that contributes to the noise day and night. Hard to get a decent nights sleep. Got to make sure things are secure when you open the garage door and the dogs aren't too fond of going out either. I'll take rain or snow over the annoying wind any day.

I agree, I just finished a week on a unladen catermaran ferry and it was jumping around like a bronco. My face still hurts from all the salt spray and it wasn't even at sea. I think I wore more coffee than i drank

Shortage of food at the grocery store. We're dealing with a lot of things lately but would hope I can at least go to the store and get the food I need. Every week I come home without some things on my list.

Last week it was almond milk for the wife and a certain brand of coffee. Today there was no milk. Noticed the frozen pizza section was near empty. Didn't matter to me but also noticed Hot Pockets were gone. What up with that? Had to search a bit to find some hot dog buns. Sections of the cereal aisle are empty.

There are reasons I'm sure but as a lowly peasant it's frustrating week after week to go through this.

Thought of that. Normally I go on Tuesday but have been out of stuff then too. Might not help that I go first thing in the morning and I'm usually the only customer while there are plenty of people refilling stock. I'm an early riser and don't like people so that works for me and the employees always seem to be friendly so that's nice. But when there's not a single particular item all the way to the back, I think they just don't have it.