Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

6 hours ago, steveracer said:

Did the usps stop allowing the regional boxes A and B to be used on click n ship?  

just used this feature mid December now it is NOT available which is the least expensive method for small parcels - including model cat kits.  

I don't remember seeing "regional boxes".  All I see is:

Priority Mail® Small Flat Rate Box 5-3/8" x 8-5/8" x 1-5/8"

Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box  11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2 or 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"

Priority Mail® Large Flat Rate Box 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12 1/4" x 12 1/4" x 6"

What size were those regional boxes?

2 hours ago, steveracer said:

The costs are lower.  And regional means anywhere in the USA. 

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Regional-Rate-Boxes

I have not sent many packages lately and I don't recall the regional boxes being the available selection for Click-n-Ship, but I'll take you for it.  But I believe the prices for the current options seem quite a bit higher than last time I used Priority Mail.

An email note from one of my primary tooling and hardware suppliers:

January 13, 2022

Dear Customer, 

As we enter 2022, we continue to face sustained inflation at levels we haven’t seen in nearly 40 years. Rising raw material costs, labor shortages, increased energy rates and shipping costs, and supply chain delays continue to drive prices higher across our portfolio of metalworking and maintenance, repair and operations products. These cost increases vary dramatically by product, ranging from mid-single digit up to double digits for certain product categories. As a result, we are providing you advance notice of a price increase that we will be implementing, effective January 22, 2022

• Like 1

Bill, that is expected, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole....What irked me today?

Working with Cyanoacrylates my "typical rebranded bobs" glue tube tip I needed to get two pairs of LONG pliers on to get the cap off.  Said cap was messed up as was the tip.  Needless to say I got it over my fingers.  Went to buy new tips at the woodworking store and put them on.  The glue came out nicely, still leaked at the threaded sealed part and got it over my fingers.  That seemed to seal up nicely after a few uses, come today, I use the glue again. Somehow still over my fingers. Worked through it. Sprayed the accelerator on my project, that worked great but got that all over my fingers too.

Finally, I used the glue and accelerator one more time today.  That went well.  Till the accelerator threaded part came loose and spilled that stinky stuff all over my model area.  Had to take a 10 minute time out to adjust my attitude back where it belongs.

The snow and the cold is sort of an inconvenience but to be expected this time of year. What is not is waking up and thinking it really cold in the bedroom. Wife is doing the usual grumbling about it, but it sure seems cold. Check the thermostat and it says it's 60 degrees. Outside it's in the teens. Furnace went south last night. The place is less than a year old, so I tried calling the HVAC people that did the install. Answering machine until Monday morning and no weekend emergency service. Called the builders agent and he had their Maintenace Manager call and he had me go thru some steps to check and see what could be wrong. Did breakers, fuses, cleaned flame sensors. Gas fireplace seems to be able to keep the first floor around 65 so at least we aren't going to die of exposure. New homes are just to expensive to have an HVAC system go down in less than a year. Our old house was just over twenty years old when we sold it and the furnace never ever stopped. 

Small irk..... heard the iPhone ring tone, I was home looking around for the phone, then the radio ad said it was a Public Service Announcement, about distracted driving.  Freaking brilliant, you just made everyone driving look around for their phone.

It was beautiful today, hiked around the woods in just a t-shirt but with sweats on. 🤪

On 1/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, steveracer said:

Bill, that is expected, but I don't want to go down that rabbit hole....What irked me today?

Working with Cyanoacrylates my "typical rebranded bobs" glue tube tip I needed to get two pairs of LONG pliers on to get the cap off.  Said cap was messed up as was the tip.  Needless to say I got it over my fingers.  Went to buy new tips at the woodworking store and put them on.  The glue came out nicely, still leaked at the threaded sealed part and got it over my fingers.  That seemed to seal up nicely after a few uses, come today, I use the glue again. Somehow still over my fingers. Worked through it. Sprayed the accelerator on my project, that worked great but got that all over my fingers too.

Finally, I used the glue and accelerator one more time today.  That went well.  Till the accelerator threaded part came loose and spilled that stinky stuff all over my model area.  Had to take a 10 minute time out to adjust my attitude back where it belongs.

I have the same problem. I’ve have had to use a drill bit to clean the cap and a hobby knife to scrape the dried glue off the nozzle. I now try to remember to burp the bottle to get the tip clear of glue and wipe the outside before putting the cap back on every time. I glued my accelerator bottle to a small 1/4” thick piece of steel so I can’t easily spill it again. I also use a glue looper for the thin CA and another one for the accelerator.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:41 PM, espo said:

The snow and the cold is sort of an inconvenience but to be expected this time of year. What is not is waking up and thinking it really cold in the bedroom. Wife is doing the usual grumbling about it, but it sure seems cold. Check the thermostat and it says it's 60 degrees. Outside it's in the teens. Furnace went south last night. The place is less than a year old, so I tried calling the HVAC people that did the install. Answering machine until Monday morning and no weekend emergency service. Called the builders agent and he had their Maintenace Manager call and he had me go thru some steps to check and see what could be wrong. Did breakers, fuses, cleaned flame sensors. Gas fireplace seems to be able to keep the first floor around 65 so at least we aren't going to die of exposure. New homes are just to expensive to have an HVAC system go down in less than a year. Our old house was just over twenty years old when we sold it and the furnace never ever stopped. 

The power went out about a month ago when lightning ️ hit the substation on this side of the city. Spent 2 days without power and heat.  No Motel with out a long drive and I don’t want to stay with relatives. . Made it thru.. Feel for you..

10 hours ago, slusher said:

The power went out about a month ago when lightning ️ hit the substation on this side of the city. Spent 2 days without power and heat.  No Motel with out a long drive and I don’t want to stay with relatives. . Made it thru.. Feel for you..

We had one small space heater and a neighbor brought over a larger one that they had. Combined with the gas fireplace we were actually pretty comfortable overnight. Monday the HVAC people got to use early and spent all morning going over the system. One thing I had never heard of before, but they said is somewhat common. The gas pressure regulator comes set at the max pressure, around 4 lbs., and they have had the systems overheat and the sensors shut down the fire fire box as it thinks it's overheating.  They lowered the pressure to the minimum, 3 lbs., and it has worked great so far. 

• Like 1

The whole Martin Luther King holiday weekend irked me. Saturday found both my truck and my son's car won't start due to temps dropping to double digits during the night. My son's car was jumped and started up. My truck? forget it. AAA tried jumping it and it wouldn't start - frozen fuel line because it was totally my fault. I shoulda gassed up my truck Friday night since I had very little gas in my tank. Stupid me... Dry gas was out in all my family cars by Saturday night.

Sunday came with temps in the 20s enough to try to start my truck up. Nope. Called AAA again and they jumped it. Started righ tup!! Yippee! left it to run for awhile. Started up my son's car and it started up. Left it running for a few minutes (15 minutes), and turned it off. Ran errands with my truck, came home. went to move my son's car. Nope. Would not start.. AGAIN!!!! Bro-in-law told me probably a dead battery. Screw it, it's getting late and dark, Worry about it in Monday morning. Sunday night predicted 3-6 inches of snow by Monday. 

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... snowblower wouldn't start - manual and electric start!! Had it tuned up last month. Called the service guy I took it to 4 times. Tried everything he tells me to do. Says he will stop by Tuesday to figure out what's going on. Monday afternoon I called AAA.... again only this time told them I may have a dead battery and wanted them to test it. They came, tested it... Yup.... dead battery. Replaced it on the spot and my son is responsible to pay for new battery. $!80 car battery. Oh well, not my money to spend.

Tuesday came (today) service guy shows up, tried starting it up and whattya know... it started up. My wife called me at work and told me I had left the fuel switch on OFF position. DUH! No wonder! When they returned the snowblower back in December after the tune up, they must've left it on Open position. 

Typically when I'm usually finished snowblowing my driveway, I shut everything off, including the fuel switch. It threw me off when they left it in the open position and I got frustrated why it wouldn't start! I feel like an idiot. LOL!!!

On 1/18/2022 at 8:54 AM, espo said:

We had one small space heater and a neighbor brought over a larger one that they had. Combined with the gas fireplace we were actually pretty comfortable overnight. Monday the HVAC people got to use early and spent all morning going over the system. One thing I had never heard of before, but they said is somewhat common. The gas pressure regulator comes set at the max pressure, around 4 lbs., and they have had the systems overheat and the sensors shut down the fire fire box as it thinks it's overheating.  They lowered the pressure to the minimum, 3 lbs., and it has worked great so far. 

Glad it worked out David.

A CD I bought from England, reference blueprints, data, and photos of the Supermarine S6b, arrived broken in half.

Well packed in a stiffened envelope with internal backers, clearly marked "do not bend", no external damage to the envelope, very obviously just some mean-spirited jackass in the delivery chain bent it until it snapped.

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A CD I bought from England, reference blueprints, data, and photos of the Supermarine S6b, arrived broken in half.

Well packed in a stiffened envelope with internal backers, clearly marked "do not bend", no external damage to the envelope, very obviously just some mean-spirited jackass in the delivery chain bent it until it snapped.

There's a lot of mean spirited Jackxss's out there. And it seems to be getting worse.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Most likely some machine broke it. I bought a book and a Dan Gurney poster from The Petersen Museum. They get here, and the package is crushed in the middle. Book and poster are damaged. I contact me, and they send out another one. Crushed exactly the same way, but this time the book survived. Third try, the guy at the Petersen double-tubes the poster. The box still arrives crushed in the same place, but this time the poster survived, and it's now on my wall. This was a LOT of hassle for a $20 clearance poster. 

Sadly, this never seems to register as a problem with the shipping company. 

Maybe that's something else Amazon has going for them. I almost never have shipping damage with them, probably because that directly costs them money. 

Just now, Dave Ambrose said:

Most likely some machine broke it...

Maybe that's something else Amazon has going for them. I almost never have shipping damage with them, probably because that directly costs them money. 

Possibly. The guy in England is trying to be helpful, offering to send the files directly to me...but feePay, in their desperate effort to wring every last penny out of every transaction, makes it almost impossible to give somebody an email address without getting harassed and WARNED!!! by the bots.

I'm waiting to see if Mr. Man can figure out my anti-algorithm code.   B)

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Possibly. The guy in England is trying to be helpful, offering to send the files directly to me...but feePay, in their desperate effort to wring every last penny out of every transaction, makes it almost impossible to give somebody an email address without getting harassed and WARNED!!! by the bots.

I'm waiting to see if Mr. Man can figure out my anti-algorithm code.   B)

Have him register for this board, then you can PM each other. 

In early December, a kid made threats of a bringing a gun to school and threats against a teacher as well as another student.  He arrested and became a guest of the county juvenile system.  His family tried to claim he's never been in trouble before, honors society, etc but the court disagreed and did not allow home release. 

Every other school in the area that had similar incidents, the kid is expelled and prohibited from even being on school grounds.  Imagine my reaction when one of my sons friends moms texted me that this kid is back in class!!!  Seriously!!  No parental notice!  Absolutely unbelievable!!

Guess they don't want that levy to pass in May!

3 hours ago, HomerS said:

In early December, a kid made threats of a bringing a gun to school and threats against a teacher as well as another student.  He arrested and became a guest of the county juvenile system.  His family tried to claim he's never been in trouble before, honors society, etc but the court disagreed and did not allow home release. 

Every other school in the area that had similar incidents, the kid is expelled and prohibited from even being on school grounds.  Imagine my reaction when one of my sons friends moms texted me that this kid is back in class!!!  Seriously!!  No parental notice!  Absolutely unbelievable!!

Guess they don't want that levy to pass in May!

He wouldn’t be walking around in my county or city schools he would be expelled and arrested. The have a regular police officer at every school.