Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

20 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

That this thread has nearly reached 500 posts.

Huh?  500 posts?  How did you figure that out?  I see that this thread has 498 pages.  Each page (for me) contains 25 posts.  That  is around 12,450  posts. Yes over 12 thousand!

Still fewer posts than the silly ONCE UPON A TIME  thread which was started 5 years later, and is already up to 779 pages, which is over 19 thousand posts!!!

Edited by peteski

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Huh?  500 posts?  How did you figure that out?  I see that this thread has 498 pages.  Each page (for me) contains 25 posts.  That  is around 12,450  posts. Yes over 12 thousand!

Still fewer posts than the silly ONCE UPON A TIME  thread which was started 5 years later, and is already up to 779 pages, which is over 19 thousand posts!!!

I also wondered about the post numbers. Not enough to ask, but since you bring it up. Never thought of it as a contest, although some may have. Sometime back there were some updates done on the site and ever since these new numbers showed up. I guess sometimes inquiring minds just need to know why. 

9 hours ago, espo said:

I also wondered about the post numbers. Not enough to ask, but since you bring it up. Never thought of it as a contest, although some may have. Sometime back there were some updates done on the site and ever since these new numbers showed up. I guess sometimes inquiring minds just need to know why. 

The number of pages (not posts) contained in a thread has always been shown after the thread's subject line (since I joined the forum in 2014).   If it's less than 25 posts no number of pages shows up.  Is there now some place that actually shows the actual post count in a thread?  I don't see it.

46 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Pete.     

Yep!    You're absolutely right.    Posts should have read pages in my post.    My mistake!   

I therefore remain most humbly corrected and thereby prostrate myself!

Oh alright Noel, you're forgiven. :D  Whether it is 500 pages, or 12 and a half thousand individual posts, those are impressive numbers of irks.

2 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

What irked me today? Finding out this thread has well over twice as many posts as What Pleased You Today. 🤣

It is a well proven fact that it is in human nature to complain more than give praises.  Move along -- nothing to see here . . . ;)

Edited by peteski

43 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Doing some work on a '66 Corvette for a customer. Ordered new rear spindles and this is what I pull out of the box. One is not like the other. :(  

Quality control is job one, they said.

Sure we can read blueprints, they said.

Splines? We don't need no stinkin' splines.

(See, it's really really hard counting all those machining operations, and then looking at the part to see if they're all done.)

This is my life, every single working day: wiping idiots' backsides.

EDIT: Just today, I had a throttle position sensor for a whooptee electronic trans kickdown, from a "name" manufacturer, come in with a plug on the supplied pigtail incompatible with the supposedly mating socket on the sensor.

Morons, every day, every week, every month, can't do the simplest things right.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

I agree with you, Ace.

But, the inability to manufacture or ship the correct parts will be the death of our complicated, Just-in-Time civilization. This is just a taste of what is coming. The Go-Along-to-Get-Along folks already out number those who try to do a good job. In Fact, many of the 'Go Along' types. look down on the Hard Working types, because it make the 'Go Alongs' look bad. Thus, were get here. Eventually, the whole rotten thing will collapse, as correct parts, of good quality slowly vanish.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alexis said:

The Go-Along-to-Get-Along folks already out number those who try to do a good job...many of the 'Go Along' types look down on the Hard Working types, because it make the 'Go Alongs' look bad...

Exactly...which is pretty much the inspiration for "if you're not angry, you're not paying attention".

Unfortunately for civilization, there are serious flaws in human nature. Laziness (the desire to do the absolute minimum for the maximum return), and the grasping for power among those who can't really DO anything, are becoming more and more prevalent as other aspects of "civilization" devolve.

But there are indeed bright spots among all the doom-and-gloom, and every time I encounter a well designed, well made anything, or someone who's skilled in his work because it matters to HIM to do a good job, it makes my day.

Not all the blame go to the employees. The corporate mentality has contributed to the quality issues.  Poor training and lack of commitment have had an impact on quality.

Also the relentless pursuit of imagined cost savings. Bet GM thought they were saving money changing the ignition switch springs to make them cheaper and not bothering to change the part number. We all know how well that worked.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not all the blame go to the employees...

The "blame" goes to whatever sorry slacker doesn't do his job to the best of his ability.

Don't try to make out that looking at a shaft to see if it's splined or not has anything to do with "cost cutting"...unless you hire an actual monkey that doesn't know what a "spline" is to do the job.

And NOBODY ever had to hold a gun to MY head to make me do a job right; I quit places where the management couldn't tell quality from a hole in the ground.

The responsibility for crapp work lies with the person who does the crapp work.

Period.

EDIT: I'm fully aware that blaming the system, or society, or corporations, or history, or Western Civilization, or whatever the excuse-du-jour is has become the common mantra now for every failing, real or imagined.

And it's bull.

There's a little thing called "taking personal responsibility" that trumps every excuse in the book.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

6 hours so far today blown to hell trying to get through to my cell provider, as they're shutting down the 3G dinosaur network. They promised me a free phone "to keep me as a customer" if I called them on (insert number here).

Multiple dropped calls, no callbacks, when the callbacks come in I get a message "you have reached a non-working number. Thank you for calling (insert provider here)".

Also locked up web pages, "we can't process at this time. Call (insert number here), and then that number goes through the same rigmarole as above.

Boy oh boy. Sure are lotsa little techies doing a great job today.

But you know...why would anyone only want a phone that just makes phone calls anyway?

Ebay !  I have an item listed that I messed up the description on. It's not untruthful just missing a complete description. Well it has a bid so ebay will not allow the title to be changed to simply add better info. I guess they have their reasons.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But you know...why would anyone only want a phone that just makes phone calls anyway?

Exactly. Your phone provider is giving lip service to providing customer service. They are hoping you will give up and buy a phone or go somewhere else. They certainly don't care how much of your time they waste.

Went to local Pizza Hut tonite for the first time in a while. The menu has no prices! Are you kidding me? The waitress explained that you simply scan the QR code on the back of the menu with your smart phone and then the prices will be available. Really? My wife has a basic phone and I don't have a phone at all. IMHO another step backwards for us all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Went to local Pizza Hut tonite for the first time in a while. The menu has no prices! Are you kidding me? The waitress explained that you simply scan the QR code on the back of the menu with your smart phone and then the prices will be available. Really? My wife has a basic phone and I don't have a phone at all. IMHO another step backwards for us all.

Yeah, this stuff drives me nuts.

Then some little techie dwerbtard will explain how much more "convenient" it is to do it that way.

Really, dwerb? 

I guess it was pretty hard to look at a printed price on a menu.

BUT WAIT...doing it the techiedwerp way let's 'em change prices day to day depending on "market conditions" and "supply-chain issues" and whatever other excuses they can come up with...without having to commit to a printed price on a menu.

NOW I get it.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

I had left that Delorean that I was trying to dechrome outside soaking it Easy Off all week and was going to bring it in, rinse Irma off and try bleach, but we got a bunch of wind, and it’s disappeared. Guess that second Delorean kit with the warped chassis will become a body donor. 

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Ask the waitress to scan the code on HER phone. And ask to see the price for every code on the menu before you decide. If a few people per store would do that every day, they'd quickly come up with some other system. 

Yes, every now and then it's quite useful to be Evil. :lol:

• Like 1