Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

So it’s about 12:30 in the morning and I’m sitting at Sky Harbor airport. My wife is returning from a week at my daughters home in Virginia . Her trip home consists of two flights . The first flight out was delayed about 30 minutes or so . She had a two hour layover witch turned out to be about 3 hours . If all goes well she should land in about an hour . Southwest used to be good on time but her last two flights have had some sort of a problem . I’m not flying until the mask mandate is lifted for airports and flights . Not intended to be a political comment , just the truth . 

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Which half? Sounds like possible diorama fodder to me.   :D

When I saw what happened, that was the first thought I had! Well, the first thought I had that didn't begin with F.

Unfortunately it was the back half of a cab, with like a quarter of a door. Not really something usable. I still have it, so maybe it can become something.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:19 AM, Joe Handley said:

I had left that Delorean that I was trying to dechrome outside soaking it Easy Off all week and was going to bring it in, rinse Irma off and try bleach, but we got a bunch of wind, and it’s disappeared. Guess that second Delorean kit with the warped chassis will become a body donor. 

th wind gusts musta been 88mph, unplug the flux capacitor next time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, PatW said:

Here in the UK the price of fuel is steeply on the rise at the beginning of last week a litre of diesel was £1.58 per litre ( X four for a gallon) it is now £1.74 per litre. It used to fluctuate by a few pence but not at this rate!

I don't know if it's the same in the US but we are in our 70's and don't live by a mobile phone, we went into our favourite coffee shop today and all most all of the seats/tables were taken, we found one and sat down in near silence as everyone else, couples and families were gawping at their phones! I wonder if they have minds of their own, a real conversation killer!

Its the electricity rise that has me concerned, mine is a pre pay meter so its a little under double what it was. I'm going to be paying more for electric than i do for rent. Being single none of the numbers the gov use apply to me as everythig is calculated based on a couple, It was the same during furlough, I was in the group that got no help so this month my rent is finally caught up and all the extra cash i thought i was going to have now has to go on electric. I dont know why i bother going to work sometimes cos you try to pay your way and just when you think your ahead they move the goalposts yet again and say they had to. And while everybody else is going to be struggling for heat, food and electric those same mps that do nothing to help us, gave themselves a 2 grand payrise. all in it together? only if its brown and falls downhill

• Like 1

I've been working part time on an AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible. I had it sprayed with Duplicolor primer.. And had one oat of Duplicolor Oldsmobile green on it. Same green I have on the 1966 Cutlass Convertible. Sat a week or two. Needed another coat. Same paint. Sprayed it. And it wrinkled all up. Don't know why. No pictures because I just threw it right into the purple pond. I'm at a point I think I might just build the kits like I did as a kid. Forget painting them. Too frustrating. 

The custom mix paints probably have a "recoat window"; that is, applying a coat over paint already applied has to be done within a specified time frame, if not done "on time" then an extended wait is necessary.

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

The custom mix paints probably have a "recoat window"; that is, applying a coat over paint already applied has to be done within a specified time frame, if not done "on time" then an extended wait is necessary.

It's been 2 weeks. LOL. My biggest downfall is painting. I'll bet I've repainted every kit I've ever build. 

I had the same thing happen, and I think it is because I put the second coat on a little too heavy.  I got to two points and did not move the can quickly enough and the paint built up a little bit.  This is where the paint wrinkled.

Got a rather large envelope in the mail today, all the edges had green scallops.  Looked like a typical piece of junk mail, until I noticed there was real postage on it in the amount of $1.36.  It was from the Three Oaks Quarry Company.  They were 'kindly' informing me they were in contract negotiations for a 498 acre piece of property with the prospects of opening a quarry for the purpose of producing aggregate.  The letter was 10 pages long answering all sorts of imagined questions.  The area set aside for the quarry is a 62 acre piece less than 1/4 mile from my back door. No, it will not affect my water quality/quantity.  I will hardly notice the cracks in the foundation of my house from their blasting.  They are going to pile up the dirt overburden to form a noise abatement. I live more than 1/2 mile from the interstate with houses, timber and natural berms and can still hear when a semi hits the rumble-strips or a well-exhausted Mustang decides to let-er-rip; no stinking pile of dirt is going to abate the noise of 24 hour a day rock-crushers. There will only be approximately 136 trucks entering and exiting daily, on a two-lane highway with curves and houses; which btw is the primary route to our high school (you know, buses, teenage drivers, and soccer moms). They compared a typical development with 350 houses will have over 3900 vehicle trips daily - that means every house in that development is making more than 10 trips daily. Anyway, the neighborhood is getting up in arms over this issue, just hope we can convince the county powers-that-be their political futures weigh heavily upon their decision, but then, thousands of dollars in tax revenue will make their eyes water.   I am almost 73 years old and live in the house my father built back in 1963.  I am well set here and do not want to move, however I may be forced to if I want to enjoy my last golden years in some peace and quiet.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Today what irks me is my newest pack of Bare Metal Foil!

Does not want to stick, looks rough even on a piece of smooth mirror I tested it on.

No response for them when I emailed them so guess they no longer care about their quality.

I gave up on them years ago (decades?). Went to Micro Metal Foil Adhesive and common, cheap kitchen foil and hardly ever miss BMF. 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, TarheelRick said:

Got a rather large envelope in the mail today, all the edges had green scallops.  Looked like a typical piece of junk mail, until I noticed there was real postage on it in the amount of $1.36.  It was from the Three Oaks Quarry Company.  They were 'kindly' informing me they were in contract negotiations for a 498 acre piece of property with the prospects of opening a quarry for the purpose of producing aggregate.  The letter was 10 pages long answering all sorts of imagined questions.  The area set aside for the quarry is a 62 acre piece less than 1/4 mile from my back door. No, it will not affect my water quality/quantity.  I will hardly notice the cracks in the foundation of my house from their blasting.  They are going to pile up the dirt overburden to form a noise abatement. I live more than 1/2 mile from the interstate with houses, timber and natural berms and can still hear when a semi hits the rumble-strips or a well-exhausted Mustang decides to let-er-rip; no stinking pile of dirt is going to abate the noise of 24 hour a day rock-crushers. There will only be approximately 136 trucks entering and exiting daily, on a two-lane highway with curves and houses; which btw is the primary route to our high school (you know, buses, teenage drivers, and soccer moms). They compared a typical development with 350 houses will have over 3900 vehicle trips daily - that means every house in that development is making more than 10 trips daily. Anyway, the neighborhood is getting up in arms over this issue, just hope we can convince the county powers-that-be their political futures weigh heavily upon their decision, but then, thousands of dollars in tax revenue will make their eyes water.   I am almost 73 years old and live in the house my father built back in 1963.  I am well set here and do not want to move, however I may be forced to if I want to enjoy my last golden years in some peace and quiet.

Not that you want to, but you might want to start interviewing Realtors. Should they get the go ahead your land and home will be all but worthless and you aren't going to want to live there anymore anyway.. Sad to say the least.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:15 PM, TarheelRick said:

...I am well set here and do not want to move, however I may be forced to if I want to enjoy my last golden years in some peace and quiet.

I feel for you.

3 years after I bought my place in Az., largely because it was far enough from town to be pin-dropping quiet at night (important to me, 'cause I sleep with my windows open), the industrial park down the road expanded massively, including some company that sounds like it's shredding boulders all night...and a water treatment plant that has droning pumps going all night.

It's nowhere as bad as my place in Ga., where the interstate traffic moans constantly in the background, but it's not what I was expecting to retire to.

I hate some people's mindless need to encroach on the rights of others in the name of "progress".   :mellow:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Sad 1

This🤬

8BF9535D-5E3E-4214-A32A-EA684DD36514.thumb.jpeg.71665097d953391b29c6ca9ea66448a3.jpegB7789362-4F08-4E2E-920E-B87364D4BCA5.thumb.jpeg.6d59f93e88a5ad8ba89bf6827fad087a.jpeg

I went to shoot some Speedforms with Model Masters Flat Black lacquer and Testors Blazing Black Lacquer over Duplicolor Sealer Primer from the same can and laid down at the same time last night. As you can see, the flat black went down fine while the Blazing Black started to bubble almost instantly.

5D32163E-0E7E-44EA-B11F-8C03E6EA4DCF.thumb.jpeg.b0193b163f75e6ad0c3ac1b3a0c39163.jpegBF53D55C-87B2-497A-9425-584A272B802D.thumb.jpeg.e8e7efd77ee22089dbd97e9d8766cc57.jpegB1331F20-1943-4FA6-B9B8-7EFD2F668AD9.thumb.jpeg.d78c55338d3ba556787698aa08d36e94.jpeg

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

where did you get the formed molds?

From here, https://www.restopaint.com/ , Owner's name is Miguel and his shop is on the NE corner of Rt. 59 and Rt. 64 here in West Chicago (next to where the Subway used to be), he ordered these for me in '19 and I still had a some on hand.  You can get them more locally to you through Dip Your Car, that company also sells them on line in the small size like I have and an XL that's close in size to at least a 1/16 model if not closer to a 1/10 on road R/C car.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/speed-shapes

They're great for showing what paint, plasti-dip, and vinyl wrap looks like on an automotive surface, especially when you're looking at showing off metallics, pearls, and color flip paints and work well as a practice surface if you want to scale up from spoons before applying to a model you've been spending months on!

ShapesWall.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

On 3/5/2022 at 11:12 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

My family and 10,000 friends will be so envious when they see my selfies with the post in the background plastered all over Faceborg and Insta-inanity and Twits-r-us.

You know, ya gotta ask yourself what do you get when you combine YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook? 

YouTwitFace.

ROFLMAO!!!!

• Like 1