Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Went grocery shopping this morning at Fred Meyer/Kroger. First Tuesday every month is senior discount which is 10% off all Kroger products so I focus on that on this day. The computer didn't have the discount activated yet so the cashier and I waited and waited and waited. I shop right after they open which is 6 AM so there are rarely any customers except me which is great so luckily no line formed behind me.

Anyway, she attempted to apply the discount manually on every Kroger item but it didn't take so I got screwed. It's 2022 and we still can't handle simple technology like programming this customer bonus into the system automatically and the result is I walk out the loser. 

I have to have a 30 day event heart monitor done.

Was supposed to get it Friday but they didn't have one available because someone didn't show up to return it.

So yesterday they called again, still didn't have one so rescheduled  for today.

I was on my way there when they called and they girl says another doctor ordered one and the tech didn't check scheduling and gave mine to someone else.

Now they won't have a return until next Tuesday!

21 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Fast Food Tastes...

Daughter bought us dinner tonite as she was too tired to cook. She got as "Mexican", from a place that rhymes with Paco Smell.

What is it with this American Obsession with drowning their food in wet, messy  sauces and condiments? With this place it is Sour Cream. With Hamburger Places it is drippy Catsup and Mustard, and some times Mayo. None of these add to the flavor of the food. Instead it just makes it harder to eat, and ruins shirts. Tonite a "Chalupa" Exploded on me, spreading Sour Cream down the front of my new shirt. Now I have a Ruined Shirt, and half my dinner spread equally between my shirt, the table and the floor. Makes me so Angry. Yeah, it is a "First World Problem" and I really am grateful for Cheap, Fast food when my daughter is too tired to cook,, but why the *&$# is including Sour Cream the the default, instead of making it an added extra?

Rant Over......

I agree that all those sauces kill the flavor of the food.  Why use chicken nugget just as a vehicle for some sauce?  Might as well dip a piece of cardboard in the sauce and eat that. You won't taste the cardboard.

It also seems that Americans are obsessed with adding cheese to everything. I don't like cheese (except for mozarella on pizza, since that cheese has not real flavor). I'm they guy who orders hamburgers and ask to skip cheese on other types of burgers.

As for Taco Bell, just ask "make it Fresco" for your items.  That skips the sour cream and cheese, replacing them instead with delicious Fresco Salsa.  Before they offered that option I used to always ask them to not add cheese and sour cream.   https://tacobell.fandom.com/wiki/Fresco

But most Taco Bell items are messy, so either be careful, or wear a bib. :)

On 5/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, stavanzer said:

What is it with this American Obsession with drowning their food in wet, messy  sauces and condiments?

🎶 ‘Cause I’m proud to be an American, where I know my food’s messy 🎶

Edited by Smoke Wagon
  • Like 1

Pete, Riley, Bill.

Salsa is even worse than Sour Cream. The Paco Smells around here goof the order about 40% of the time now, so asking for "No Sour Cream" gets results about  3 out of 5 orders.

Riley, Nice Lee Greenwood Riff. You earn points for being Clever.

Bill, Nuggets are one of my secret vices. Such tasty cardboard, though. I seldom use any dipping sauce.

Thanks Guys, for letting me vent.

• Like 1

Fraudulent charges on my credit card the last couple of weeks so called and disputed them. First person was hard to understand so turned it over to the wife as she's better at understanding "English-as-second-language" people. Person wasn't much help as she basically told us the info on the charges that we could already see on the statement and wanted us to call one of the companies to dispute the charge! That's your job! Eventually we got disconnected. Really?

Called again and went thru the whole process with a better speaking and understanding person and cancelled the card. Yeah, that's not a hassle. Now I try to access the website and apparently I don't exist! Can't do anything without a card number so guess I have to wait until I get the new card.

29 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Fraudulent charges on my credit card the last couple of weeks so called and disputed them. First person was hard to understand...Eventually we got disconnected. Really?

Called again and went thru the whole process with a better speaking and understanding person and cancelled the card. Yeah, that's not a hassle. Now I try to access the website and apparently I don't exist! Can't do anything without a card number so guess I have to wait until I get the new card.

That's getting to be the "standard of service" more and more. Same level as both my internet and cell providers.

But there are those who unfailingly brand anyone who pines for the days when people did their jobs as...  

old man yelling at cloud - Drawception

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Since we can't get into politics here, most of what irks me daily can't be addressed. Anyway, I'm sure that most of us see things happening that might make us throw the nearest handy object at the TV screen if we didn't have to pay to replace it.

What does irk me, pretty much every day, is that almost every cashier seems incapable of saying two simple words....thank you. For many years I worked at a company that served the public (mostly some very demanding corporate attorneys). We did an annual survey each year asking our customers what we could do to make their doing business with us more pleasant. While I no longer have the exact figures, the vast majority said that a simple "thank you for your business" would be very welcome and make them feel that we didn't feel entitled to their business. We actually incorporated this into our training program for new hires.

Ever notice how many retail customers say "thank you" to the cashier instead of the other way around? Next time you're at the supermarket, drug store or wherever, take notice whether or not the cashier displays even the least bit of courtesy to the customer. Not saying "thank you" won't fix what's wrong with many things that irk us, but when even the little niceties disappear, it makes one wonder about the serious stuff.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Pete, Riley, Bill.

Salsa is even worse than Sour Cream. The Paco Smells around here goof the order about 40% of the time now, so asking for "No Sour Cream" gets results about  3 out of 5 orders.

Bill, Nuggets are one of my secret vices. Such tasty cardboard, though. I seldom use any dipping sauce.

I like chicken nuggets with honey mustard sauce. But my real guilty pleasure on most things is nacho cheese sauce or cheese sauce in general!

My wife once told my daughter-in-law that I would eat cheese sauce on ice cream if offered!LOL   Hmmmmm, I wonder...........................

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I thought chicken nuggets WERE cardboard.

Some are. There is no denying.  But not at the Augusta's Chicken Shack (my local favorite).  They make them fresh using pieces of white meat chicken (not some ground up goop), hand bread them, and fry them to delicious brown color.  Moist and tender!. They even smell really tasty.  Just had soem yesterday.  But they are getting very pricey! :(

01f27e_1879552277ff4c108f86b500f062c281~

Edited by peteski

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Pete, Riley, Bill.

Oh well - just trying to help  out.    I am a very sloppy eater (even though I really try not to be). Should get a T-shirt with an integrated bib!  :)

Yes, order goof-ups are very common in this day and age, but I do prefer salsa to the crappy sour cream and cheese.  Asking "make it Fresco" seems to work most of the time for me.  And as I mentioned, Taco Bell food is by design very prone to squirting stuff all over you.  That is something I learned to live with.

I'm glad you are feeling better after venting.

22 minutes ago, peteski said:

Some are. There is no denying.  But not at the Augusta's Chicken Shack (my local favorite).  They make them fresh using pieces of white meat chicken (not some ground up goop), hand bread them, and fry them to delicious brown color.  Moist and tender!. They even smell really tasty...

Looks good. If one of my fun cars was running, that'd be a good enough reason to head up to your part of the country...that and maybe some lobster.   :D

12 hours ago, espo said:

All this talk about food makes me think some Slim Jim Beef Jerky and a Beer may be the answer. 

I keep Slim Jim’s in the cabinet at all times.  I tell my wife they taste like Opossum jerky that they use  to make at one time around here..

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I keep Slim Jim’s in the cabinet at all times.  I tell my wife they taste like Opossum jerky that they use  to make at one time around here..

Opossum Jerky just doesn't seem as appealing all of a sudden. Slim Jim was always a little juicier than the dried shoe leather type stuff sold by others. 

• Like 1

Slim Jim = cardboard soaked in A1 steak sauce!  And, don't spare the salt.  One of my brothers spotted me eating one, once...for several years, I'd get a gift package of Slim Jims for Christmas.

• Like 1

Time for another delivery complaint. All week long UPS showed I'd get my package by 7 pm Friday but on Friday it showed "on its way" which meant I didn't get it. Today it says delivery by 7 pm again with "on its way". As far as I know UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday unless it was requested or critical or a business and none of those are me.

I usually prefer UPS for my shipping but seems they've fallen into the same hole as the others.

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/why-harry-gants-1991-skoal-114400276.html

But they are okay with alcohol, firearms and sports betting sponsoring?

I always liked "handsome Harry Gant" as he was known. While I agree with you up to a point, you need to remember the reason no Tabaco advertising is allowed in sports. This was and is our Federal Government looking out for your health. NASCAR was sponsored for years by R.J. Reynolds Company. There came a time when laws regarding advertising of Tabaco Products and this is what happened to the NASCAR Sponsorship and advertising. My thinking is that NASCAR would love to honor R.J. Reynolds and other tobacco Products that were such major sponsors. But they just can't.