Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

Price of eggs irked me today.  3.19 a dozen ?  ...Milk was way up as well but what ain't ?

Yup. Every time I go to the sto', I'm more impressed.   ;)

Might be time to plant that vegetable garden and build a chicken coop in the back yard. 

Some of the fear-mongering media are, naturally, warning of impending food shortages too.

Coronavirus meme/panic/fear mongering general thread ...

Still have a closet full of TP left from the last crazed run on supplies?  Might be time to try some new recipes.

Coronavirus meme/panic/fear mongering general thread ...

*  In reality around half of Americas's food production is wasted every year anyway, so a little applied common sense (yeah, I know...fat chance of that) should stave off widespread hunger unless things get really bad. But most Americans could stand to lose some weight (74% were overweight, a whopping 42% being obese for 2017-2018), so maybe it's a health blessing in disguise, ya think?    :D

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/food-waste-americans-throw-away-food-study_n_1819340

https://foodprint.org/issues/the-problem-of-food-waste/

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

* The quoted numbers vary by source, but they're about right overall

And to preempt the ever-present reality deniers, here's me, just a crazy old man shouting at clouds... 

old man yelling at cloud - Drawception      

EDIT: Still waiting for the inevitable "confused" reaction emojis, or the laughing ones from those who don't get the joke.  <_<

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
  • Haha 1

This is more bizarre than anything, creative litterbug.   On my walk at "the field" this evening, I stopped to look at a rock just off the trail, for possible use in my yard (in 37 years probably moved a ton).  Picked it up to evaluate it, and found a scrunched plastic water bottle under it!  I was "what the ****?"  Of the millions of rocks out there, I pick this one up and find somewhat fresh trash (no sign of getting wet).  The person just couldn't carry it all the way back home.  Checked for money or a key, nothing.  Should I go buy a lottery ticket? 🤔  Sunset was okay.

IMG_3820.thumb.jpg.cc4b51632d0b9e8b7f49a2fce4baa7ab.jpg

The idiots toss empty water bottles wherever they happen to be when the bottle is empty.  Too much work to carry it to wherever the next trash can is, or stick it back into the bottle holder on their bike.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark said:

The idiots toss empty water bottles wherever they happen to be when the bottle is empty.  Too much work to carry it to wherever the next trash can is...

What I can't ever quite grasp is the "reasoning" behind the fools leaving little black or blue or yellow bags of dog exhaust on the trails. 

Plastic takes a long time to degrade. Un-bagged dog exhaust is returned to the ecosystem in short order by beetles, ants, flies, etc.

If you're too friggin lazy and stupid to take your little bag of poo and place it in the specially provided receptacles, as requested at the stations where you get the bags, just let your dog leave its exhaust OFF THE TRAIL. Nobody will step in it, nobody will ever know, and it will be naturally recycled quickly, just like the raccoon and badger and coyote and squirrel and deer and mouse exhaust is.

It's not hard, people.

EDIT: Oh wait. It would require a little common sense and rational thought. Never mind.

Old man yells at cloud - Drawception

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you're too friggin lazy and stupid to take your little bag of poo and place it in the specially provided receptacles, as requested at the stations where you get the bags, just let your dog leave its exhaust OFF THE TRAIL. Nobody will step in it, nobody will ever know, and it will be naturally recycled quickly, just like the raccoon and badger and coyote and squirrel and deer and mouse exhaust is.

We had my daughter’s doggie this past week while she was on vacation. It exhausted out on the deck. My wife forgot about it, told me the next morning.. I went to retrieve it and it was GONE!   Figger one of the other animals you mentioned might have ate it?

17 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

...Figger one of the other animals you mentioned might have ate it?

I sure hope not.

But we had a black bear sighting in this county not far from me, and I imagine this suburban area is similar to where you are.

Coyotes have been taking cats and small dogs for several years here too.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Mark said:

The idiots toss empty water bottles wherever they happen to be when the bottle is empty.  Too much work to carry it to wherever the next trash can is, or stick it back into the bottle holder on their bike.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, espo said:

Beautiful sunset. We used to be involved with a lot of off-road activities. We always had a trash bag in our Jeep. The old saying was "if you hauled it in you haul it out" 

When you turn off Broad street  many people throw out Micdonalds garbage beer bottles all along the beginning and end of the street. I beleave the same person throws out my McDonald’s trash out. I plan on talking to our new mayor about cleaning it up..

On 5/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

What I can't ever quite grasp is the "reasoning" behind the fools leaving little black or blue or yellow bags of dog exhaust on the trails. 

Plastic takes a long time to degrade. Un-bagged dog exhaust is returned to the ecosystem in short order by beetles, ants, flies, etc.

If they just leave the bags, that makes no sense at all (for the reasons you mentioned.

I live on an inlet street leading to couple of loops. About 1 mile in total distance. There are several people daily walking the loops with their dogs. Some (especially with larger dogs that leave larger "gifts" behind) pick up and bag their dogs output, tie it, then leave at the side of the road.  On the way back they pick up their bag and take it with them. I ask why they do that and they told me that they just don't feel like carrying the warm bag of steaming poo all the way around the loop, to be picked up when they return.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I sure hope not.

But we had a black bear sighting in this county not far from me, and I imagine this suburban area is similar to where you are.

Coyotes have been taking cats and small dogs for several years here too.

As I understood it, Tom was mentioning that something ate the poop dog deposited on the deck.  One of my GF's dogs used to like eating "poopsicles".

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, espo said:

Beautiful sunset. We used to be involved with a lot of off-road activities. We always had a trash bag in our Jeep. The old saying was "if you hauled it in you haul it out" 

Was rabbit hunting in Missouri with an uncle years ago when we came upon trash left behind by the off road guys!

It was in a pile at the bottom of the ravine.

When we checked it out we found the signed title in the glove box with a note "if you can get it out it's yours!"

It is still there today!LOL

23 hours ago, peteski said:

As I understood it, Tom was mentioning that something ate the poop dog deposited on the deck.  One of my GF's dogs used to like eating "poopsicles".

My buddy's dog used to love coming over to my house. If she was unsupervised for more than a minute she'd be in my cat's litter box "bobbing for apples". 

1 hour ago, jaymcminn said:

My buddy's dog used to love coming over to my house. If she was unsupervised for more than a minute she'd be in my cat's litter box "bobbing for apples". 

Ah, if moist when deposited, they have a nice crunchy coating - just like Nutty Buddies. :D

On 5/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, NYLIBUD said:

Had a bad blow out on my Jeep.Shredded my tire and ripped off my fender flare.ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Lucky it was a rear or may have been more irked!😬

Edited by NOBLNG

18 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Had a bad blow out on my Jeep.Shredded my tire and ripped off my fender flare.ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

EFEE1D1F-F65B-45C4-95B1-FF64CA3654E0.jpeg

24A4703C-79B6-4462-86F8-A7766D965D2A.jpeg

Looks like you may have had a slow leak letting the tire overheat and the sidewall let go. Had a right front do the same thing years ago. At highway speeds in a straight-line large tires can go down and you don't realize it till someone starts waving at you from the next lane. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Looks like you may have had a slow leak letting the tire overheat and the sidewall let go. Had a right front do the same thing years ago. At highway speeds in a straight-line large tires can go down and you don't realize it till someone starts waving at you from the next lane. 

Yea could be,just heard a loud thumping noise on the highway,and then checked the tire,and it was torn on the sidewall.Then i had to drive it off the highway,and call a tow,cause i had no spare.So driving on it for about a 1/2 mile,and shredded it.Also ripped off the rear fender flare,as you can see in the pic.Hopefully my body shop friend can fix the flare.