Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Insurance companies don't make money by paying on claims.  They make money by NOT paying on claims.

That said, I have kept collision coverage on the last couple of daily driver vehicles, as long as I owned them.  The line item for collision coverage isn't very much in the scheme of things.  I won't drop glass coverage either, and don't understand the reasoning behind trying to save money by not having it.  One cracked windshield puts you ahead, even if you keep the car ten years.  I did pay for a windshield for an older car out of pocket (had a wiper scratch from before I bought the car); most glass shops will charge you less if they know you are paying for it yourself...still, it ain't cheap.

Same here.  It’s worth having it and sleeping better at night.

• Like 1

Newer vehicles aren't designed to be taken apart...they're designed to be put together as simply and quickly as possible, with the least amount of labor.  Disassembly is the buyers' problem...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Newer vehicles aren't designed to be taken apart...they're designed to be put together as simply and quickly as possible, with the least amount of labor.  Disassembly is the buyers' problem...

True, nothing is designed to be DIY either...my Jeep requires removing the entire front fascia to replace headlight bulbs.  About the only thing I do at home on it is vacuum the interior, leave all the servicing to the dealer.  

Not that anything newer really needs much in the way of service.  My current 2018 car is approaching 58,000 miles...original tires (I do switch tires for winter, but the snows go on late and come off ASAP), little else touched other than oil changes.  The rear brakes were replaced at about 45,000 miles...someone who heard that was surprised.  With my previous vehicle, all four wheels had been done twice by then.  The original stuff barely got through the warranty period.

The electrics will require even less.  The manufacturers and dealers will replace service and repair profits with charging monthly fees for apps to keep everything on the car operational.  And they'll decide when the car becomes obsolete by no longer offering the apps...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

Not that anything newer really needs much in the way of service.  My current 2018 car is approaching 58,000 miles...original tires (I do switch tires for winter, but the snows go on late and come off ASAP), little else touched other than oil changes.  The rear brakes were replaced at about 45,000 miles...someone who heard that was surprised.  With my previous vehicle, all four wheels had been done twice by then.  The original stuff barely got through the warranty period.

True that..I still have the original brakes and battery at 61k on my '14 Jeep...really haven't had to do anything beyond regular oil changes and filters, a set of tires.  Way more reliable so far than my previous '00 Jeep (it needed brakes and rotors at around 25k IIRC).

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Where on Earth did you get that idea?    

From what I’ve read on the Jeep forums. To get to the headlight clusters, have to remove the bumper/grille.  Standard approach, actually quite common with modern vehicles.  

• Haha 1

Would just like to remind everyone that personal attacks on this board will not be tolerated. 

So after cleaning up two pages of nonsense, and sending people to the penalty box for a while, we can get back to our minor inconveniences. Irks, if you will.

Carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The company I currently work for recently lost the 3pl contract in my building. They handed out papers stating we would continue to work business as usual til the contracts expiration date (5/31), unless determined your role was no longer necessary. The new company taking over the contract has been trying desperately to hire us on, to make the transition seamless.. several of us have been there nearly a decade plus... In April my current bosses cut about half our staff, deeming them unnecessary. Yesterday, they cut about half of what's left. We now have 12-15 people trying to do the jobs of 50. Rumor has it.. I've seen the email... they are going to cut the rest of us friday before the contract expires next tuesday, as a last minute hoodoo for the main company and new contractors... pettiness on a multibillion dollar level is exhausting.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Would just like to remind everyone that personal attacks on this board will not be tolerated. 

So after cleaning up two pages of nonsense, and sending people to the penalty box for a while, we can get back to our minor inconveniences. Irks, if you will.

Carry on.

Not sure what I missed, but I can guess how it happened. Same old same old.

I am not you here but if I were you I would go to the other company and sign up before the Axe Falls unless you are going to loses benefits in doing so!  The decision is entirely your own as you know what is best for you and your family!

Best Wishes Either Way! 

I tried to be kind to someone waiting on the pier. they asked to use the toilet on the boat as there are none on the pier. they shouted thanks and left in a hurry. checked the toilet after they left and they managed to block the toilet and flood the room with stinking human waste.

17 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Was searching for posts about the Duel Peterbilt.

Had to wade through loads of posts where Duel was used instead of Dual.

Duel........a contest or fight.

Dual.......multiples of.

Usually automatic spell checkers are to blame, but not in this case: Both spellings are correct.  It is a human error.  The one that I find silly is people using "Testers" instead of "Testors".

Pete, I couldn't agree more.

The number of times my tab!et changes words to something completely different to what I type in gets irritating. Doesn't happen on my PC fortunately.

There are differences in Oxford English and US English that get flagged on American sites as I would expect as I naturally use Oxford English when typing. Perfectly acceptable differences.

It is when words are used out of context like dual and duel that get me.

Messed up my right knee doing yardwork on the weekend. Can hardly walk. Feels like it's under pressure, yet there is no swelling. Also feels like something is moving. And there is definitely something making noise in there. It's like a box of Rice Krispies. So it's off to the doc this afternoon, see if we can figure this out. 

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Messed up my right knee doing yardwork on the weekend. Can hardly walk. Feels like it's under pressure, yet there is no swelling. Also feels like something is moving. And there is definitely something making noise in there. It's like a box of Rice Krispies. So it's off to the doc this afternoon, see if we can figure this out. 

Sure hope it’s not serious. Maybe he can give you a shot off steroids like my arm and shoulder..

The tailgaters I hate are the ones that get so close you can't even see the bottom edge of their windshield. You're on a divided six lane and you're in the center lane going 5 to 10 over already. The left lane is wide open and they go around you on the right. Of course there is a slower car in the right lane and another trying to get on the hiway. Makes me wish I had a $50 car and I wouldn't let up on the gas when he tries to cut back in front of me. 

Yes I despise tailgaters (especially if I have slow traffic in front of me). Or even if I'm going 5-10 MPH over the speed limit.  Selfish people (wich is very common nowadays).  I have seen a car with a bumper sticker like this, and it made me smile.

sorry_for_driving_so_close_in_front_of_you_bumper_sticker-rea1cf02001634baea0c5355999a70243_v9wht_8byvr_540.jpg

I contemplated getting one myself, but not only it is too nice, it will not stop those nasty tailgaters.  I have also seen more R-rated bumper stickers, but I would probably get in trouble posting them here.

• Like 2