Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

Tailgaters !  Sorry fella I can’t go faster than the car in front of me !!

I hate them too. One day a few weeks ago, some punk kid in a Civic rolled up on my rear while I was on the passing lane. I braked and he backed off kinda quick - but not for long.  Now, I'm already speeding up to pass another vehicle on my right and I see the idiot jumping into the driving lane and now he's on her tail - the car I'm trying to pass. LOL!! She looks in her rear and sees him. Needless to say, she's aggravated. She looks at me and shook her head and points behind her. I smiled at slowed to stay perpendicular to her side - we basically boxed him in with zero chance of passing either of us. Now the idiot has no where to go. I can see him getting dismayed and impatient. ROFL! We went on for about a mile and a half and thinking that's enough. As soon as I was able to return to the driving lane, I moved over since I needed to get off the next exit not even an 1/8th of a mile. He blows pass me, flips me the finger. LOLOLOL!! As I was getting off the exit, he. too, wanted to get off and does so crossing over from the passing lane. Now he's stuck behind a pick-up. LOL!!

I catch up to him a safe distance behind him as we approached the acceleration lane in a construction work zone. He speeds up and passes the truck IN A CONSTRUCTION WORK ZONE!!! Where's a cop car when ya need one? He got off the very next exit as I was too. He's sitting at a light for the right turn, I'm going left. I cnever understood why he was in such a hurry to go .... NO WHERE!!!

8 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

He's sitting at a light for the right turn, I'm going left. I cnever understood why he was in such a hurry to go .... NO WHERE!!!

Exactly!

I often witness the same thing - those impatient people in the end often end up behind me or literally just few seconds ahead of me.  Is that really worth it?  I think it is some sort of a mental issue.  They are not right in their heads.

Here in NYC (and no doubt elsewhere), idiots on electric bikes/mopeds, dirt bikes and ATVs riding like they own the streets and, even worse, the sidewalks. My wife and I are in our 70's and are constantly on the lookout for these jerks. We've seen countless pedestrians injured on the sidewalks and in crosswalks and many auto accidents caused by these dolts cutting in and out of traffic. If these aren't motor vehicles then I don't know what a motor vehicle is. Yet, almost every one that I've seen is unregistered (no plates), uninsured and driven (mostly) by the irresponsible. Whether they even have driver's licenses is anyone's guess. Can't get into the politics of it here but I can't say that I'm surprised that there are more and more laws being totally ignored or in need of implementation.

I have nothing against cheap transportation and these vehicles are not evil unto themselves. I'll also be the first to admit that they look like fun to ride lawfully. To top it off, there have also been a rash of house fires caused by owners charging their batteries, which seem not to be of very high quality. We've had quite a few deaths as a result of the fires. END OF RANT!

• Like 2

Re: Tailgaters.

In the 1990's I was in the MVCC (Military Vehicle Collector Club), with a gentleman who owned a street legal British, Armoured Car.

A 1950's Vintage Alvis Saracen. It had tiny, almost invisible turn signal lamps, and was bulky and hard to drive. Strangely though, even in L.A. traffic, he never had problems changing lanes.

image.jpeg.272bbb6a8e96709a953186cbd40996d8.jpeg

Notice how far out the wheel hubs protrude. Right about eye level on a Honda Accord or Civic,  He'd start to drift right to change lanes, and there was always a hole formed.

I'd like to drive this and be tailgated. By the way, it would do 65mph on the freeway. Slow, but adequate.

A few years ago, I'm on this highway - four lanes but no barrier between.   I'm in the left lane and traffic in both lanes is heavy and traveling at the usual speed. Going thru a small town known for speed enforcement, I pick up a tailgater behind me so close that I can barely see his car over my tail gate.  I could not see him, but he could not see the state patrol car parked ahead.  The officer pulled out a couple cars ahead of us but still not visible to the tailgater.  As I reached the patrol car, I pulled into the right lane.  The officer saw it all... some days Karma works

Edited by Muncie
  • Haha 1

Back when I lived in New Jersey I used to drive home on a single lane road that was 45 mph, went up a hill, and turned right sharply.  It was a double yellow zone.  Right past the sharp turn there was a 25 mph sign and of course a cop lurked right past that.   

I knew the deal so I'd be going the 45 or more, then I'd take my foot off the gas as I went up the hill to be going 25 as I passed the sign and hiding cop.  One day I had an idiot on my tail.  As I decelerated going up the hill I could see him cursing and flailing his arms around in my rear view mirror.  The moment we hit the top of the hill, he pulls out across the double yellow and floors it around me... right into the arms of the waiting cop.  It was a beautiful thing!

14 hours ago, NYRich72 said:

Here in NYC (and no doubt elsewhere), idiots on electric bikes/mopeds, dirt bikes and ATVs riding like they own the streets and, even worse, the sidewalks. My wife and I are in our 70's and are constantly on the lookout for these jerks. We've seen countless pedestrians injured on the sidewalks and in crosswalks and many auto accidents caused by these dolts cutting in and out of traffic. If these aren't motor vehicles then I don't know what a motor vehicle is. Yet, almost every one that I've seen is unregistered (no plates), uninsured and driven (mostly) by the irresponsible. Whether they even have driver's licenses is anyone's guess. Can't get into the politics of it here but I can't say that I'm surprised that there are more and more laws being totally ignored or in need of implementation.

I have nothing against cheap transportation and these vehicles are not evil unto themselves. I'll also be the first to admit that they look like fun to ride lawfully. To top it off, there have also been a rash of house fires caused by owners charging their batteries, which seem not to be of very high quality. We've had quite a few deaths as a result of the fires. END OF RANT!

I’m sorry that there are so many irresponsible riders in your area. My wife and I have electric bikes. They are limited to 32 kph or 20 mph. Any faster and they are considered a scooter I believe and must be licensed and insured. That said, a lot of them can be built or modified to go much faster. Now I will admit that although it is illegal, I ride on the sidewalks a lot. I don’t trust most motorists with my life. Most of the time the sidewalks here are devoid of pedestrians (unlike New York I imagine). We don’t ride the sidewalks in downtown or busy areas period. We give pedestrians the right of way and a wide birth when possible. We both have bells on our bikes so that we can alert folks to our presence. It’s all about respect for others.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, NOBLNG said:

I’m sorry that there are so many irresponsible riders in your area. My wife and I have electric bikes. They are limited to 32 kph or 20 mph. Any faster and they are considered a scooter I believe and must be licensed and insured. That said, a lot of them can be built or modified to go much faster. Now I will admit that although it is illegal, I ride on the sidewalks a lot. I don’t trust most motorists with my life. Most of the time the sidewalks here are devoid of pedestrians (unlike New York I imagine). We don’t ride the sidewalks in downtown or busy areas period. We give pedestrians the right of way and a wide birth when possible. We both have bells on our bikes so that we can alert folks to our presence. It’s all about respect for others.

No doubt that there are responsible electric bike riders just as there are responsible drivers and responsible firearm owners. Unfortunately, we tend to hear only about those who abuse their rights/privileges. After driving for more years than I care to remember, I'm a pretty good judge of speed and there's no doubt in my mind that many of these bikes can go a lot faster than 20mph. I'd say that many of them can hit twice that speed. As you say the sidewalks in New York City tend to be crowded with pedestrians which makes for a very dangerous situation. At least you and your wife have bells on your bikes but I don't recall ever hearing a warning bell from the bikes/scooters etc. that are being driven on the sidewalks. As you know, electric vehicles are nearly silent and we have a lot of background street noise here making it nearly impossible to hear an electric bike approaching. I'd also guess that at least 50% of those riding two-wheel vehicles of any type here do not wear a helmet even though required by law. I've driven in Canada (mainly Quebec) and shamefully must admit that I feel a lot safer driving there than in the USA.

As for trusting other drivers, I totally agree. I've always taken the position that every other driver on the road is crazy and out to kill me. Of course that isn't true but I've seen far too many instances of lunacy to make me alter my thinking. About 25 years ago, while I was between jobs in my regular vocation, I drove a tow truck for a friend who owned a towing company. What I saw at accident scenes scared the living daylights out of me, especially after speaking with the law enforcement officer on the scene as to what happened. To this day, I will not drive or ride in a vehicle unless every passenger is belted in.

On 5/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Messed up my right knee doing yardwork on the weekend. Can hardly walk. Feels like it's under pressure, yet there is no swelling. Also feels like something is moving. And there is definitely something making noise in there. It's like a box of Rice Krispies. So it's off to the doc this afternoon, see if we can figure this out. 

Sounds like a torn meniscus. Had that happen to me. After some arthroscopic surgery and five to six weeks of therapy, was right as rain. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:15 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Messed up my right knee doing yardwork on the weekend. Can hardly walk. Feels like it's under pressure, yet there is no swelling. Also feels like something is moving. And there is definitely something making noise in there. It's like a box of Rice Krispies. So it's off to the doc this afternoon, see if we can figure this out. 

I have had past knee problems as well. The Rice Krispies sound is how I would also describe what mine felt like. The surgeon had to remove a bone chip from my knee socket. Should see your doctor ASAP.    

19 hours ago, espo said:

I have had past knee problems as well. The Rice Krispies sound is how I would also describe what mine felt like. The surgeon had to remove a bone chip from my knee socket. Should see your doctor ASAP.    

Well it's strange.

X-rays done. No visible damage. A little swelling, but everything is still attached, and everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. So they figure I twisted and pulled something. 

Whatever happened, it seems to have resolved itself. I've been doing some exercises on it with one of those tension bands. Building strength, getting the joint moving. I went back to volleyball last night, and all was fine. Admitted, I took it easier that usual, but it was good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well it's strange.

X-rays done. No visible damage. A little swelling, but everything is still attached, and everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. So they figure I twisted and pulled something. 

Whatever happened, it seems to have resolved itself. I've been doing some exercises on it with one of those tension bands. Building strength, getting the joint moving. I went back to volleyball last night, and all was fine. Admitted, I took it easier that usual, but it was good. 

Glad you're doing well. According to my doctor my main problem has to do with the lining of the surfaces in my knee joints has worn thinner and allowing bone on bone contact in some positions. I have had the "Rice Krispies" sound since high school and that was some time ago. This is what made me think that might have also been your issue. 

Went to grocery store to pick up some items. 

Irk 1) self checkout is card only no cash taken

Irk 2)had to go to checkstand with clerk and endure two people with trouble paying with card and dismally slow

Irk3) I had a close approximation of cost to make sure I wouldn't exceed the cash I had . Get items rung up and price is more than I thought. Get receipt and one item was suppose to ring up as 3/$5 instead it rings as 2/$5. Isn't it interesting how the mistakes are alway a in the stores favor of the store. 

Goto shelf and take picture of tag. Back to line and more people that are slow paying with card. Finally get 83 cent refund. How many people don't notice they are being overcharged?

Definitely an exercise in frustration. 

Its a store called Raleys. The problem is they have a rewards program and it always confuses some because it asks for the reward card number and its not clear how to move forward.

I typically don't use self check but I had a couple of items and those were 2 people in the line with the clerk and a spot was open in self check.

The other problem is that there is a trend to phase out cash as a payment option. The stores would rather pay the transaction fees than deal with the cash.

Not having to deal with cash isn't a bad thing, as long as customers still have a choice.  They still do, in a roundabout way: if the place won't take cash, you can go somewhere else.

I remember back in the olden days, you'd watch the local news and every day there was at least one gas station robbery.  I can't remember the last time I heard or read anything about one in the area, even though many more dollars cross the counter between gas and cigarette sales.  Nearly everyone uses a card nowadays, less temptation out there for a gas station stickup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark said:

I remember back in the olden days, you'd watch the local news and every day there was at least one gas station robbery.  I can't remember the last time I heard or read anything about one in the area, even though many more dollars cross the counter between gas and cigarette sales.  Nearly everyone uses a card nowadays, less temptation out there for a gas station stickup.

Where do you live?  Cash is not required for a robbers to strike.  They steal cigarettes, and lottery tickets.   Yes, I know the last one is stupid, but so are many robbers.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

Around here, the smokes are buried behind the counter.  If there are massive amounts of cancer sticks being pilfered, they aren't being reported.

What I was saying is that cash is not the only thing in gas station convenience stores they are after.  Yes cigarettes are behind the counter, so the robbers will just demand the clerk to give them the smokes.  Cigarettes go for crazy money nowadays (no, I don't smoke). As far as going cashless, I really hope we don't get to that - I love cash.  Spending cash feels real. Paying with plastic feels like you can just buy the whole world and pay later.  Plus cashless also means that the funds can be stolen other ways (there are plenty of credit card readers skimmers out there).

6 hours ago, peteski said:

What I was saying is that cash is not the only thing in gas station convenience stores they are after.  Yes cigarettes are behind the counter, so the robbers will just demand the clerk to give them the smokes.  Cigarettes go for crazy money nowadays (no, I don't smoke). As far as going cashless, I really hope we don't get to that - I love cash.  Spending cash feels real. Paying with plastic feels like you can just buy the whole world and pay later.  Plus cashless also means that the funds can be stolen other ways (there are plenty of credit card readers skimmers out there).

my moto for years has been will work for plastic ( amt mpc ect !!!)

On 5/31/2022 at 9:24 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Well it's strange.

Glad it wasn’t serious and your doing better..