Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Well, you guys have made me feel better about no Dunkin Donuts here. It seems there are many things (food) that have been changed over the years and aren't as good as they once were. Best to just have the good memories.

I've got a Dunkin' Donuts at the corner of the street I live on.  Haven't been there in more than five years.  Coffee isn't anywhere near as good as Tim Horton's, and the donuts aren't as good either, be it the quality or selection.  There are a couple of two-or-three shop local places that are better, though.

DD opened a bunch of stores in my area about ten years ago.  One of my brothers knew one of the guys who was behind the move...guy was bragging that they were going to "knock Tim Horton's out of the box".  Didn't happen, DD shuttered about half of the local locations pre-Covid.  The guy didn't account for the many Canadians that cross the bridge and shop here, also that the first Tim's outside of Canada opened here, and is still in the same location nearly fifty years later.

2 hours ago, espo said:

I'm not a fan of DD either, but not to run them down, just not the way I like my donuts done. This may have to do with the way the local DD's make them, but I think they use entirely too much grease for my taste anyway. 

Too much grease is my complaint about Krispy Kremes and most locally made donuts. DD's cream-filled are my alltime favorite donuts. 

Krispy Kreme only lasted a year or so here.  They had that one donut that was good, the rest were so-so.  Strange they didn't catch on here, as the "good" donut was supposedly cribbed from one that originated here...

I usually don't have much to gripe about, but......... My preferred music streaming service (Napster) has changed hands. The new owners have "improved" the site to make it more phone friendly. I can't even access the site anymore from my Win7 desktop. I'm gonna have to upgrade to a Win10 unit....... High time I do that anyway! I'm hoping that Napster is just being glitchy, but I doubt it.........

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

Well, you guys have made me feel better about no Dunkin Donuts here.

If it’s any consolation, at least we have a Dutch Bros on every block. If you manage to squeeze into the mile-long line of hipsters and Karens, you just might have a shot at spending 10 bucks for a large “coffee”. 

47 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

... My preferred music streaming service (Napster) has changed hands. The new owners have "improved" the site to make it more phone friendly. I can't even access the site anymore from my Win7 desktop...

I don't know what kinds of music you like, but this one works on Win7, and has lotsa different stuff. Free.    https://somafm.com/

YT has a lot of different live-stream genres that run 24-7 too (free, and no commercials if you run AdBlock).

I've set up all my computers to play through amps and real speakers, and I can always find exactly what I'm in the mood for...even 10 hours straight of rain and thunder, or waves breaking on the shore.

If you like smoky, jazzy instrumental blues, YT has this that runs for 8 hours:

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

10 hours straight of rain and thunder, or waves breaking on the shore.

You must use that to help you sleep! I listen to all kinds of stuff, from Afro Pop World music to free form Improv Jam/Jazz........ Napster has all that stuff....

I'm talking with a guy that I got my current computer from, He's gonna work out a deal for me. I'm not looking forward to switching everything over to a new unit, though!

On 6/6/2022 at 5:42 PM, Monty said:

Can someone explain ebay's policy of allowing sellers to simply print a shipping label and list the product as "shipped" if it hasn't been handed off for delivery?  That would almost be like me posting a message to the seller saying "IOU, please mark this as paid".

eBay has sellers dancing like trained poodles.  The standard ship time is within 3 days.  And eBay hounds and demotes sellers who take longer.   I don't use eBay's shipping labels so I'm not familiar with that sequence.

I sell flat paper items that mostly fit in an #11 business envelope. I do volume, shipping an average of 250 items a month, so I try to ship every day or it backs up! The  "Buyer Paid- Ship Now" page lists everything you need to ship.  As I pack up things,  note that I may have 10-30 items on that list, the only way to get them off the list is to mark them "Mark As Shipped".  That makes them go away so you can focus on the rest of the items you need to ship, otherwise it gets into a tangle on your screen.  And eBay stops pestering you to ship.

I generally pack and ship in the evening.  Those items get marked as "Shipped"  today,  but they get dropped off at the post office in the morning.  Things I pack this evening will sit until Monday morning.   And that's just the way it is!  I don't sit on things for days.

Not an irk but has humanity gone out the door? Motorized/electric bikes. What's the point of having them if you're not peddling to move? I don't get it. Has folks gotten that lazy and complacent to not do the work riding a bicycle? Bikes are great for exercise and pleasure all at the same time.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not an irk but has humanity gone out the door? Motorized/electric bikes. What's the point of having them if you're not peddling to move? I don't get it. Has folks gotten that lazy and complacent to not do the work riding a bicycle? Bikes are great for exercise and pleasure all at the same time.

I'll agree with you to a point based on what I see on the local bike trails I ride on. In my case I was in a bad car accident over a decade ago that left me with multiple issues including limited use of my left leg and a lifetime of chronic pain issues. Up until recently bike riding was one of the things I could reasonably handle but things have unfortunately got to the point where electrical assist would be helpful dealing with hills and off road excursions.

I'm now taking a serious look at electric bikes so I can enjoy one of the few outside activities/exercise I can still do beyond walking. There's numerous bike trails near me both paved and off road and I love to take advantage of them when I'm up to it. I'm also a lifelong motorcycle rider and have had to adjust for that as well, moving from sport and standard bikes to a cruiser style with a lower center of gravity. Riding is one thing I would have a very hard time giving up! 

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

My accident was caused by another driver on the phone, not paying attention and of course the end result was crippling me without a scratch on him despite hitting me at a stoplight going 40 mph. So seeing idiots driving and texting, etc... is an EVERYDAY IRK for me! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TonyK said:

Well, you guys have made me feel better about no Dunkin Donuts here. It seems there are many things (food) that have been changed over the years and aren't as good as they once were. Best to just have the good memories.

The dunkin's here became "Donut King" in the late 80's when the Indian owner dropped the franchise., bet he was still making them on site like DD used to in the 60's&70's.

We have since got new DD's but the product pales in comparison. Too greasy.

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Motorized/electric bikes. What's the point of having them if you're not peddling to move?

I also see how they can be useful if you’re traveling a long distance, or if by circumstances you need a bike to commute to work. As with everything in life, there’s a trade-off when it comes to new and interesting technology. It gets to the point where easy things are made even easier. Lazy people will benefit most, and the cycle continues. Without societal pressure to make healthier, smarter, and harder decisions, you’ll eventually get this:

FC7F0640-0044-4D7B-A97D-F03C2BFCD9F6.jpeg.d7478a46889c55e12b2a218597e512e4.jpeg

• Like 1

Local animal shelter is over capacity by 70+ dogs.  They have dogs in foster homes, in portable cages, crates, etc.  None (!) of them are posted on Petfinder.  Petfinder is exclusively for rescues and shelters.

Edited by HomerS

16 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Local animal shelter is over capacity by 70+ dogs.  They have dogs in foster homes, in portable cages, crates, etc.  None (!) of them are posted on Petfinder.  Petfinder is exclusively for rescues and shelters.

That all depends. If most of the dogs are pit bulls (which most shelters do have up for adoption), I’d shy away from adopting one myself. Why? I don’t know what kind of home life they’ve had. I’m sure there are sweet pit bulls out there but their vicious reputation doesn’t help either. But hey... some folks like them.

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Eventually? Have you looked around much lately?

No Bill, I don’t shop at Walmart. 

Joking aside, that is some pretty soul (and chair) crushing stuff. It’s only bound to get worse with folks nowadays reassuring each other that it’s all okay and socially acceptable to weigh more than a forklift.

I understand that some people do have conditions, like thyroid problems, and at the end of the day there’s really not a lot they can do to change what their bodies do. That said, being morbidly obese is almost entirely a modern phenomenon; directly brought on by a mix of technological advances that have made our basic lives easier, unhealthy food being more plentiful than ever, and a significant lack of self-discipline and control amongst people. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

That all depends. If most of the dogs are pit bulls (which most shelters do have up for adoption), I’d shy away from adopting one myself. Why? I don’t know what kind of home life they’ve had. I’m sure there are sweet pit bulls out there but their vicious reputation doesn’t help either. But hey... some folks like them.

They do have an abundance of pits, they post on their Facebook page of the daily intakes and about half of them are pits.  I know they don't want to promote how many they have and encourage the folks who will use them for fighting, but that's no reason to not post any animals.