Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

USPS again.

Package made it to the local distribution center, then got misdirected to the wrong town 30 miles away, went back the the distribution center, got sent wrong to ANOTHER town 40 miles away, came back AGAIN to the distribution center, got sent BACK to the same WRONG town AGAIN.

I'm impressed.

Going to the PO this AM to see if there's any way to intercept it.

7 hours ago, cobraman said:

How can they be that bad ?  That boggles the mind.

Hellifiknow.

Woman at the PO looked it up, repeated back to me exactly what I told her, said "give it a couple days, if it doesn't show up YOU (me) need to go online and file a parcel intercept".

Cool. Now I get to do the postal orifice's work too.

America is becoming a 3rd world country...and the local PO looks it: most forms aren't in their slots, never replenished, floor couldn't have been mopped for weeks, posters hanging wonky off the walls, and electrical wiring that used to go to lights in the display cases just hanging loose.

my wife and i moved into our apartment about 8 years ago. they had a strict no dog policy.

lately i have been seeing many new dogs, so i decided to call the landlord because i really want a dog, but wanted to see if they changed the policy before adopting

they immediately said no, only service dogs.

i said ok, and hung up, but then actually thought about it. what is the probability of 4 or 5 different families having an actual service dog 'in my small complex off 3 buildings maybe 30 total apartments. not likely. it only urks me because one of those families is a maintenance worker's kid, and its a tiny dog that they got as a puppy. there is no way its a service dog

my upstairs neighbor is completely nuts and complains about everything, so there is no way i would break a rule with that nosey one 

Edited by MrMiles

my round trip commute is 19 miles.  today i managed to get stuck behind 3 different fools going more than 10mph UNDER the speed limit.  this is southern California, unless there's a cop present, posted speed limits are recommended minimums.  traffic flows at about 5 over.  if you're not comfortable doing 53 in a 45 then take it home and park it cause the 33 you're doing is causing unsafe chaos behind you while everyone jockeys for position so they can get around you so they don't get stuck at the next light like i did, twice.

and then i get home, finish the 68 Dodge Dart model iv been working on, and then proceed to knock the side mirrors off.  had to re-glue those.  passenger side didn't want to cooperate, dropped it on the floor at least 4 times.

4 hours ago, MrMiles said:

they immediately said no, only service dogs.

i said ok, and hung up, but then actually thought about it. what is the probability of 4 or 5 different families having an actual service dog 'in my small complex off 3 buildings maybe 30 total apartments. not likely. it only urks me because one of those families is a maintenance worker's kid, and its a tiny dog that they got as a puppy. there is no way its a service dog

my upstairs neighbor is completely nuts and complains about everything, so there is no way i would break a rule with that nosey one 

The "service dog" designation has been seriously abused for several years now.  Anybody can buy a service dog harness for their dog, and call it a "service animal", then take it anywhere (including boarding an airplane).  Same with the "emotional support" animals which are  often not dogs. I don't know exactly how it all started, but this abuse is rampant nowadays.  A real service animal (usually a dog) will have paperwork from the owner's doctor certifying it as a service animal.  No paperwork -- it  is a hoax, and an excuse to bring the animal to places where animals aren't allowed.  The abuse was so bad that I have heard that certain airlines started asking for the official paperwork designating the service animal before they allow it to board the airplane.

It is very likely that the service dogs in your complex are not the real thing. Again, it all goes back to people's self-entitlement, and "it is all about me" mentality.

But on a lighter note, it seems that certain stores started allowing customers to bring their well-behaved  dogs inside while shopping (not just the real service-animals).

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

The "service dog" designation has been seriously abused for several years now.  Anybody can buy a service dog harness for their dog, and call it a "service animal", then take it anywhere (including boarding an airplane).  Same with the "emotional support" animals which are  often not dogs. I don't know exactly how it all started, but this abuse is rampant nowadays.  A real service animal (usually a dog) will have paperwork from the owner's doctor certifying it as a service animal.  No paperwork -- it  is a hoax, and an excuse to bring the animal to places where animals aren't allowed.  The abuse was so bad that I have heard that certain airlines started asking for the official paperwork designating the service animal before they allow it to board the airplane.

It is very likely that the service dogs in your complex are not the real thing. Again, it all goes back to people's self-entitlement, and "it is all about me" mentality.

But on a lighter note, it seems that certain stores started allowing customers to bring their well-behaved  dogs inside while shopping (not just the real service-animals).

I'm the front office manager of a pet-friendly hotel. The number of people trying to claim their stroller-bound yorkiepoo is a service dog, solely to avoid paying the pet fee, is ridiculous. Invariably these "service dogs" get dumped in the hotel room alone while the owner goes out to dinner or the pool or whatever, at which point the dog starts barking (I don't blame the dog, it's scared and alone) and annoying everyone in the rooms around it. It's a shame when bad people happen to good dogs.

The coming and certainly shocking price increases in the price of our public utilities. My wife is a village council member here.At their regular meeting last evening she found out that the cost of our electricity is going to Double in the next couple of months and the natural gas price will Triple !! There is nothing we can do about it either. We personally will be OK but this is going to be very difficult for a lot of our residents this coming winter:-( 

18 hours ago, peteski said:

Let’s not forget the idiots that pet service dogs without the owner’s consent. That is plain rude. Yeah, I’ve been seeing folks bringing dogs in Walmart. Lowe’s, Home Depot, Petsmart, & Bass Pro Shops allow dogs in their stores.

I got a card in the mail today from Comcast asking me to return for cable TV and even offered me discounts but I just threw it in the mail. I yanked the cable plug in January of last year after Comcast kept pulling off my favorite channels and bundling them into packages that I had to pay more to get the channels back. Pulling it saved me almost $1500 last year and my blood pressure went down. I don't miss it to this day.

Edited by John M.

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Yeah, I’ve been seeing folks bringing dogs in Walmart.......

Any creature that eats poop is not welcome in a shopping cart that may be holding my lettuce 20 minutes later. That includes children.

• Like 1

got a jury summons today.  for LA.  in 4 weeks.  22.8 miles from home.  with traffic im looking at about a 50+ minute drive.  i just filled by truck on my way home from work today.  gas is currently $5.99 a gallon.  i haven't been this 🤬 sense... my last jury summons!  see im one of the lucky ones who gets nailed for every 2 to 3 years.  if it wasn't for the shutdowns in 2020 i would have been in there 2 years ago.

23 hours ago, Suburban_Hooligan said:

my round trip commute is 19 miles.  today i managed to get stuck behind 3 different fools going more than 10mph UNDER the speed limit.  this is southern California, unless there's a cop present, posted speed limits are recommended minimums.  traffic flows at about 5 over.  if you're not comfortable doing 53 in a 45 then take it home and park it cause the 33 you're doing is causing unsafe chaos behind you while everyone jockeys for position so they can get around you so they don't get stuck at the next light like i did, twice.

and then i get home, finish the 68 Dodge Dart model iv been working on, and then proceed to knock the side mirrors off.  had to re-glue those.  passenger side didn't want to cooperate, dropped it on the floor at least 4 times.

My round trip commute is 12 miles. (Na Na Na Na Na!  😁). I live in the Philadelphia burbs where traffic regs are merely a suggestion.

This morning I’m on the road leading to my office building. There is a one way tunnel / underpass and I have to stop as the oncoming traffic is closer, thus has the right of way.  Suddenly there’s a blaring horn behind me.  As I start driving I see the front of a Chevy van at the rear bumper of my little Hyundai…

I turn into the office complex and he follows.. I’m thinking I have a road rage psycho. I park and he parks. I look over and see it’s my electric contractor’s van and one of his goobs is the psycho. He looks my way and gets a sheepish look on his face as he realizes he’s been tailing the boss.

I get out of the car and gave him a good tongue lashing. His boss wasn’t on site today, but he will be aware!

On 6/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Benefits freeloaders!   Plenty also here in the UK.

They do the maths and if working and paying taxes equates to less than the benefits received then it is a no brainer. Why bother to get up in the morning if the state pays you more to be idle? Irks me and other tax payers to fund their sedentary  life style choice!

oh come on, the royal family aint that bad

9 hours ago, John M. said:

I got a card in the mail today from Comcast asking me to return for cable TV and even offered me discounts but I just threw it in the mail. I yanked the cable plug in January of last year after Comcast kept pulling off my favorite channels and bundling them into packages that I had to pay more to get the channels back. Pulling it saved me almost $1500 last year and my blood pressure went down. I don't miss it to this day.

Did you ever fill out their surveys?  A lot of those asked subscribers to name, and list, their favorite channels.  Just perfect for them to decide which channels to move to the premium package!

I never had cable.  Besides being cheap and not wanting to watch a lot of TV, I didn't see the need to pay for channels I wasn't going to watch: channels in other languages, ten channels of "futbol", and so on.  They'd always deny having the ability to offer a personalized selection or individual channels on an ala carte basis.  At the same time, they were offering pay-per-view where they could literally offer an additional channel for a specified time window!  By the time they came around to breaking out individual channels, too late...I'd gotten used to living without it...

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Did you ever fill out their surveys?  A lot of those asked subscribers to name, and list, their favorite channels.  Just perfect for them to decide which channels to move to the premium package!

I never had cable.  Besides being cheap and not wanting to watch a lot of TV, I didn't see the need to pay for channels I wasn't going to watch: channels in other languages, ten channels of "futbol", and so on.  They'd always deny having the ability to offer a personalized selection or individual channels on an ala carte basis.  At the same time, they were offering pay-per-view where they could literally offer an additional channel for a specified time window!  By the time they came around to breaking out individual channels, too late...I'd gotten used to living without it...

You are so correct. If the Cable Companies had settled for offering a custom ala carte package for budget minded consumers, I'd still be paying for cable. Now, my cord got cut 6 years ago, and they'll never see a penny from me again.

Harvard MBA's need to re-learn that old saying. "Half a Loaf, is better than None". Instead, they went for the whole enchilada, and are losing customers by the truckload. I guess they bet wrong. I have no doubt that somebody at every cable company suggest ala carte pricing many, many times, only to be over ruled, and laughed at. Who has the last laugh now?

i have a credit card i never use. ever. i have never used it for online purchases, i have never used it in a store. the only reason i have it is because it has 0 balance transfers for 1 year, and i used it to eliminate my debt years ago, and never cancelled it after i paid off my credit cards. in fact, i keep the card in the drawer of my house. 

with that being said, yesterday i logged in to check my credit score after i bought a new car a couple of months ago to see how far my credit score went down, and found 2 fraudulent charges on it for like 11 dollars. how in the world did someone get my credit card number when it has never been used, except for the transfer. i dont get it

Edited by MrMiles

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

i have a credit card i never use. ever. i have never used it for online purchases, i have never used it in a store. the only reason i have it is because it has 0 balance transfers for 1 year, and i used it to eliminate my debt years ago, and never cancelled it after i paid off my credit cards. in fact, i keep the card in the drawer of my house. 

with that being said, yesterday i logged in to check my credit score after i bought a new car a couple of months ago to see how far my credit score went down, and found 2 fraudulent charges on it for like 11 dollars. how in the world did someone get my credit card number when it has never been used, except for the transfer. i dont get it

Well I see two possibilities.  Either fraud from from inside the bank you transferred the balances to or the bank from. Or hackers got into the banks system. If they do that to 100,000 accounts somebody ended up with 1.1 million.

I find it interesting that you never got billed for those charges.

47 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well I see two possibilities.  Either fraud from from inside the bank you transferred the balances to or the bank from. Or hackers got into the banks system. If they do that to 100,000 accounts somebody ended up with 1.1 million.

I find it interesting that you never got billed for those charges.

it just happened that i logged in the day after they charged it. i logged in today and they are marked as posted. i already called the credit card and disputed and asked for a new card. 

I had a similar "adventure." Last week I found out my CC had been hacked, and several hundred dollars of charges run up. The CC company removed the fraud charges immediately (their Fraud department contacted me about them in the first place) and told me they'd send me a new card in "7 to 10 days." (I'm still waiting.) Last night out of curiosity I logged into my CC website and found that the new number has been assigned (but I can only see the last four digits of it). But I noticed that a balance of @$60 had been transferred from the old account. oh heaven's to Betsy!? Researched it further and discovered that I was billed for Amazon Prime for the last four months. I've never belonged to Amazon Prime. 

So this morning I got the AP customer service number and called them. Found out "I" had multiple Amazon accounts, my real one and at least two others. The helpful agent tracked the bad charges to one of the others, cancelled that account, and promised to refund the money of all four charges. It was all surprisingly quick and easy--maybe 15 minutes total, which I considered amazing, all things considered. 

I recently logged in to the website for my cc that I rarely use and found 2 monthly fees for a spotify membership. The bank reversed the charges and sent me a new card. I also switched it to paper statements mailed to me so I can keep better track of it.