Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I have two credit cards, one exists only as a backup.  If I'm out of town and the main one is locked or otherwise available to me.  I use the main one for pretty much everything, but use the other one for one recurring Venmo transfer every month.  That way, I get an e-mailed statement every month (and a paper one too) so I can monitor the activity on the less active one.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:09 PM, John M. said:

I got a card in the mail today from Comcast asking me to return for cable TV and even offered me discounts but I just threw it in the mail. I yanked the cable plug in January of last year after Comcast kept pulling off my favorite channels and bundling them into packages that I had to pay more to get the channels back. Pulling it saved me almost $1500 last year and my blood pressure went down. I don't miss it to this day.

My cable is constantly going up and I keep loosing channels I watch or they want 5 bucks to add them back. I am thinking of trying satellite 📡 or going basic with one tv and cable internet.  Do you have any Tv??

9 hours ago, slusher said:

My cable is constantly going up and I keep loosing channels I watch or they want 5 bucks to add them back. I am thinking of trying satellite 📡 or going basic with one tv and cable internet.  Do you have any Tv??

We have local channels which are digital but I've gotten used to not watching any TV for the last 18 months. In fact. I gave my TV to my brother after his was giving up the ghost.

Carl, I've been happy with streaming service, but they are beginning to play the same game Cable does. More and more steaming channels with more shows spread among different channels. It really depend what you watch. If it is just a few shows, you could be very happy with just Amazon or Hulu.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slusher said:

Carl have you considered netflix instead of cable? It has a lot of hidden codes to unlock more channels for free. I use it at work and with the codes you can unlock a lot more than what shows are on the basic packages. They work particlarly well for documentaries and foreign movies

Edited by stitchdup
  • Like 1

Almost got in an accident and damn near lost the pizza to the floor of my car. Idiot pulled out at the last second (and he knew it too) making a wide right turn out of a Big Lots parking lot then getting in my lane. Mind you, the traffic light was no more than 500 feet from where he pulled out in front of me. Guy stopped his car in front of me as if he thinks I'm at fault and opens his car door to confront me. Screw him. I ain't time to deal with his rage so i went around him. Oh, he decides he needed to make a right turn at that light after all.  Entitled folks in a hurry for what during a rush hour....

Ordered take out from a bbq restaurant, was convinced to upgrade to a dinner with side of ranch beans.  Get home, no beans.  Then I see there is a 10% take out fee, so let them know on website contact email that I feel double ripped off.  Will see if I get any response.  I mean seriously, pay more so I don't take up a table and require staff attention?  Better stop now before I start $%^**&^%$%^&.

Oh yea, got the last quart of oil that I prefer from NAPA, $8.49 (before tax)!!   Guy said they went up $2 per quart!  Don't get me going...... 🤬

24 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

...Don't get me going...... 🤬

Yeah, it's hard to keep cool when stuff like this is rampant...which it is, everywhere.

But I'm making a serious effort to not let the constant deluge of incompetence, ignorance, excuse-making, and outright betrayal get to me, at least not to the point it ruins my day.

Remember...you can't fix stupid...and it's stupid to let it spoil even a single moment of your life.   :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Almost got in an accident and damn near lost the pizza to the floor of my car. Idiot pulled out at the last second (and he knew it too) making a wide right turn out of a Big Lots parking lot then getting in my lane. Mind you, the traffic light was no more than 500 feet from where he pulled out in front of me. Guy stopped his car in front of me as if he thinks I'm at fault and opens his car door to confront me. Screw him. I ain't time to deal with his rage so i went around him. Oh, he decides he needed to make a right turn at that light after all.  Entitled folks in a hurry for what during a rush hour....

So much of this happening with drivers today.  They do not know what right of way and yield mean..

On 7/2/2022 at 12:54 AM, 89AKurt said:

Oh yea, got the last quart of oil that I prefer from NAPA, $8.49 (before tax)!!   Guy said they went up $2 per quart!  Don't get me going...... 🤬

Guessing it is a synthetic oil? For what it's worth, the fluids I sell at my employer have all had major price increases these last two years, claiming everything from the rise in crude oil to the synthetic additives to higher labor costs. I did get an email from NAPA that they are running their bucket sale- buy a bucket for $2.99 and put three or more items in it and get 20% off. I usually buy my oil during these 20% off sales.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 5:54 PM, 89AKurt said:

Oh yea, got the last quart of oil that I prefer from NAPA, $8.49 (before tax)!!   Guy said they went up $2 per quart!  Don't get me going....

I don't know what your favorite flavor is, but I use Castrol Edge synthetic in all three vehicles. A five-quart jug is still only about $28 at WalMart. That seems like about $10 cheaper than anywhere else around here that carries it.

• Like 2

Participated in two different 4th of July parades yesterday. I was pulling our local VFW post equipment trailer, had an American flag and a POW/MIA flag on the back.  Some of those on the side did stand and place their hand over their hearts when the flag passed, but most just seemed to ignore it.  Even had one scream "Why ain't you throwing any candy?" My second major concern was the number of smaller kids running out into the street to retrieve candy with their parents standing their watching.  I was driving my 4X4 F-150, it is at factory stock height, but I still have to climb up into it and I am 6' 1".  That hood is long and does not slope down like a VW bug.  All too often all I could see was a kid disappear near my front tire.  I know parades are supposed to be exciting and fun, but I wish parents would take better control of their kids and the whole population show more respect to the flag.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

but I wish parents would take better control of their kids and the whole population show more respect to the flag.

Yeah, well good luck with that. That is from a bygone era.

Cable TV… I was a hold out years ago. My kids were complaining that they were social outcasts since they weren’t up on the cable only shows.

Then 9-11 happened. We lived in the NJ burbs within smelling distance of the tragedy. All of the area TV transmitters we’re on top of the World Trade Center so everyone’s TV went blank, without any estimate of when they’d ever be able to restore the signals. That got the few holdouts on our street to sign up for cable!

I have nothing to whine about today. I’m sitting in my daughter’s yard with beer in hand and granddaughters running around. Life is grand!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

Idiot motorcyclists doing wheelies on the highway. Extremely dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. Guess what? One did happen last night in the Town of Webb. 

https://www.wktv.com/news/motorcyclist-crashes-into-suv-after-performing-wheelie-police-say/article_aee9abd6-fa83-11ec-b987-d7c2fa81ea13.html

You can’t  fix stupid.....

Wife and son were out of town so I set my alarm to get up extra early so I could feed the dogs before going to the Cars & Coffee.  As I'm checking to make the alarm is off (and not on snooze) I hear the thunder.  Only a few clouds in the sky so not where it came from but so much for that plan as this one usually has higher end cars so attendance will be minimal!  I shuffled to the deck door and let the dogs out before going to the bathroom to recycle myself.  Less than ten seconds later, Brian is barking and getting louder.  He is the diva so I'm used to it but as I finish I go to let him in and it's raining.  I let all three of them but he is still barking at.  I think I just got called some bad names in K9-eze?????

15 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Idiot motorcyclists doing wheelies on the highway. Extremely dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. Guess what? One did happen last night in the Town of Webb. 

https://www.wktv.com/news/motorcyclist-crashes-into-suv-after-performing-wheelie-police-say/article_aee9abd6-fa83-11ec-b987-d7c2fa81ea13.html

You can’t  fix stupid.....

We call these guys "organ donors" around here, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The checks I sent to my lawyer a month ago just showed up at her office today with a postmark on the envelope of July 1. I sent it June 2nd. Since then I put a stop payment on the checks and wrote new ones and drove them to her office which is about 20 minutes away. Worthless USPS.

• Like 2

I bought a new "24-compartment small parts organizer" from Harbor Freight (believe it or not, not the issue) which I'm going to use to store my spare model car wheels.  Basically it's just more accessible than the previous sliding-drawer box I'd been using. 

image.png.36039e075164ba56d9650a1e0809f9f6.png

Since some of the wheels were on longer sprues they weren't able to fit in the compartments, so I grabbed my brand new poor man's sprue cutter.  You can't go wrong with Walmart's brand for really poor people...can you?

image.png.fd9930f7e037197a03c82346c0b00e73.png

The description at the bottom of the box says it's stainless steel.  Worked fine until I tried to cut through a piece of plastic sprue about 20% thicker than normal, at which point one of the blades broke off completely.  Did I mention stainless steel?  I think I did.

Edited by Monty

1 hour ago, Monty said:

...The description at the bottom of the box says it's stainless steel.  Worked fine until I tried to cut through a piece of plastic sprue about 20% thicker than normal, at which point one of the blades broke off completely.  Did I mention stainless steel?  I think I did.

35 minutes ago, Mark said:

Different grades of stainless steel, obviously.  I have seen so-called stainless steel with rust on it...

One culture's "stainless steel" is another culture's pot metal.    ;)

• Like 1