Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I am building the AMT '68 Custom Corvette kit. I had carefully separated out the small parts from the Body/Interior/Chassis & Chrome tree. I left the Chrome and Body in the factory bags, and started assembly of the motor and smaller parts. I had the small parts in a One Gallon Ziplock Bag. Went to get the body painted, and the bag with all the small parts has gotten lost! Not Sure when , or How, but I have misplaced the small stuff. I've heard of dropping a part and having it go Twilight Zone, but never half a kit!!

Tore up the Hobby Room and Garage looking for the bag. No Dice. Going to have to buy another kit. Not life threatening or really costly, but it is an Irk!

I figure that I should hurry and get another kit, so that the bag of parts with the Built Engine will show up sooner.

Update: Parts Found. Of course, NOT where I thought they would be. All's Well, That Ends Well!!

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"Unfortunately we are unable to retrieve your tracking results at this time. Please try again later."

Getting this horse exhaust for days now from FedEx.

$525 worth of parts I need to make a living, lost in the "technology" ozone.

I'm impressed.

That sucks Bill. I hope the parts show up soon.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"Unfortunately we are unable to retrieve your tracking results at this time. Please try again later."

Getting this horse exhaust for days now from FedEx.

$525 worth of parts I need to make a living, lost in the "technology" ozone.

I'm impressed.

Something you couldn't make yourself Bill?

I do remember the "old" days of UPS when you just had to take it on faith that it was on it's way, tracking was not an option. Of course we didn't have mini computers that doubled as a phone either.

Technology, some days you love, some days you hate it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I do remember the "old" days of UPS when you just had to take it on faith that it was on it's way, tracking was not an option. Of course we didn't have mini computers that doubled as a phone either.

Technology, some days you love, some days you hate it.

True that.  I’m old enough to remember ordering models and other things from print catalogs using a letter in an envelope with a stamp!  And a few weeks later, a package would arrive without notice.  

We’ve come a long way, nowadays I can order things from my phone, and get tracking emails and updates and see on a map where the package is and see on my cameras it getting dropped off at my door…most of the time, things work pretty smoothly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

I don't make AN fasteners or AN fittings and hose or Delphi electrical connectors or gauge sending units or gauges.

These are all standard bought-in items.

That's why I have suppliers.

Or are you just being snarky?

I don't get a salary for sitting on my butt at a workstation and going to meetings.

And I don't do business the way we did in the old days of "order and wait", or keep a lot of stock.

I generally use the "just in time" material supply model.

If the "supply chain" fails, any part of it, I'm left twisting in the wind.

So it IRKS me.

EDIT: And it's also a large part of why these two projects will be the LAST I ever do for clients.

The constant bulldroppings just aren't worth the effort anymore.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

That sucks Bill. I hope the parts show up soon.

Thanks Ray. Everything arrived about an hour ago, in good shape...but still not updated on the app.

I only whizzed away one day waiting HERE, because FedEx won't leave stuff without a sig due to the high incidence of porch-pirates lately...and I usually have everything delivered to one of the shops if USPS is the carrier, because one of the local drivers just dumps packages at the street, on the ground, next to the mailbox, or in somebody else's box, or one street over that has the same number, or in the yard, or in the driveway in the rain.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

29 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't get a salary for sitting on my butt at a workstation and going to meetings.

And I don't do business the way we did in the old days of "order and wait", or keep a lot of stock.

So it IRKS me.

Intersting to see who is so "snarky" now. That you for that. I had to look that term up. Seems you are "snarky" if people work in front of a computer or take meetings. 

I can see how this world of technology could IRK you so! It must be so hard to live in a time that has changed under your feet. That would IRK  me too, except like most I decide to keep up with the times. 

Have a nice day. Hope that one day your life will not be such trial. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Bentt said:

Intersting to see who is so "snarky" now. That you for that. I had to look that term up. Seems you are "snarky" if people work in front of a computer or take meetings. 

I can see how this world of technology could IRK you so! It must be so hard to live in a time that has changed under your feet. That would IRK  me too, except like most I decide to keep up with the times

Have a nice day. Hope that one day your life will not be such trial. 

Really, Bentt? Really? What is with you, anyway?

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't make AN fasteners or AN fittings and hose or Delphi electrical connectors or gauge sending units or gauges.

These are all standard bought-in items.

That's why I have suppliers.

I generally use the "just in time" material supply model.

If the "supply chain" fails, any part of it, I'm left twisting in the wind.

So it IRKS me.

EDIT: And it's also a large part of why these two projects will be the LAST I ever do for clients.

The constant bulldroppings just aren't worth the effort anymore.

Not being snarky Bill, I was wondering what it was you were waiting on as I know you have mentioned your ability to make stuff that many of us probably wouldn't attempt. 

I work for an OEM supplier to Toyota and others and JIT for us is to get parts to the factory within hours of them being completed to go on a production vehicle and all it takes is for bad weather or traffic back ups to mess that all up.

The supply chain has been severely interrupted these last two years and all signs are pointing at it being another year or more for it to improve. It has caused some strained relationships with customers.

Glad your parts showed up, maybe you can show us pictures of what you're working on?

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

...maybe you can show us pictures of what you're working on?

Sure. There are hundreds. Here's a very few of the '66 Chevelle. The car as it came to me, empty shell on a "custom" chassis, with the engine sitting on mounts in the wrong position, firewall painted...which has caused a buncha workarounds.

DSCN4767.JPG

572 cu. in. Jenkins/Smeding big-block short-deck Chevy, 750 flywheel HP, dyno'd on the carb and pump gas; who knows with the FAST EFI setup, but about the same.

DSCN4765.JPG

Same engine, converting to FAST EFI, custom snorkel and filter-can masters for composite molds shown in progress. Finished parts will be aircraft epoxy / fiberglass. Filter element is K&N for a Dodge Demon, airflow in snorkel was CAD / CFD modeled...by me...prior to building it.

DSCN6619.JPG

Custom louvered inner fenders, LH side shown with blister being fabbed to clear the airbox.

DSCN6384.JPG

Electrics in progress, early in the game. None of it's a "kit", or Painless etc. Multiple ECUs, CAN bus where appropriate, stand-alone otherwise, and critical-system redundancy w/ manual overrides.

DSCN5711.JPG

2016 Caddy ELR interior going in

DSCN6055.JPG

Endless punchlists, below. Shot was taken during the bumper straightening / fitting process, prior to sending them to chrome.

My part of the job takes the car to running  / driving with all systems 100% functional, and road-tested. Then I hand it off to the paint guys, some of the best in the biz around here. They blow it apart, do their thing, and build it back up...while I finish moving to Az.

DSCN6375.JPG

EDIT: Now let's have some clowns say it's not me who's doing the work (which I've heard more times than I can remember), or criticize and run their mouths about things they have absolutely no knowledge of, or rebleat the gibberish about my being uncomfortable with "technology" or something equally idiotic about me living in the past and not "keeping up with the times". 

C'mon bozos. Step right on up.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
Just being snarky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have always liked 66 Chevelles and that looks like it will be a sweet ride when done. That has got to be a big buck build with all of that custom fab work and specialty electronic work.

Do you have someone helping you or are you a one man operation? How long does something like that take? On TV they make it seem like it's just plug and play, run a wire and turn the key.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sure. There are hundreds. Here's a very few of the '66 Chevelle. The car as it came to me, empty shell on a "custom" chassis, with the engine sitting on mounts in the wrong position, firewall painted...which has caused a buncha workarounds.

DSCN4767.JPG

572 cu. in. Jenkins/Smeding big-block short-deck Chevy, 750 flywheel HP, dyno'd on the carb and pump gas; who knows with the FAST EFI setup, but about the same.

DSCN4765.JPG

Same engine, converting to FAST EFI, custom snorkel and filter-can masters for composite molds shown in progress. Finished parts will be aircraft epoxy / fiberglass. Filter element is K&N for a Dodge Demon, airflow in snorkel was CAD / CFD modeled...by me...prior to building it.

DSCN6619.JPG

Custom louvered inner fenders, LH side shown with blister being fabbed to clear the airbox.

DSCN6384.JPG

Electrics in progress, early in the game. None of it's a "kit", or Painless etc. Multiple ECUs, CAN bus where appropriate, stand-alone otherwise, and critical-system redundancy w/ manual overrides.

DSCN5711.JPG

2016 Caddy ELR interior going in

DSCN6055.JPG

Endless punchlists, below. Shot was taken during the bumper straightening / fitting process, prior to sending them to chrome.

My part of the job takes the car to running  / driving with all systems 100% functional, and road-tested. Then I hand it off to the paint guys, some of the best in the biz around here. They blow it apart, do their thing, and build it back up...while I finish moving to Az.

DSCN6375.JPG

EDIT: Now let's have some clowns say it's not me who's doing the work (which I've heard more times than I can remember), or criticize and run their mouths about things they have absolutely no knowledge of, or rebleat the gibberish about my being uncomfortable with "technology" or something equally idiotic about me living in the past and not "keeping up with the times". 

C'mon bozos. Step right on up.

Great pics Bill. Would not mind seeing more as the project goes on if not a big hassle.

I've been an electro-mechanical technician for nearly thirty years now. I've an excellent resume that includes four Fortune 500 companies. I've worked on some of the most intricate machines and electronics anywhere. I'm a veteran. And the fact that a person with no appreciable skills or the character to actually be successful in a job, but is willing to be a fool on Instagram, is doing better than me financially, is nearly rage inducing. And I'm a pretty mild mannered fella. I know, no one ever said life is fair. But this is pushing it too far.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyK said:

Wow! That Chevelle looks just a bit complicated. LOL I'm always in awe of the knowledge some people have to do things like this and wonder when we'll run out of them...the people I mean.

There are a few new guys coming in who have the desire, the work ethic, the mechanical aptitude, and the intelligence required, but they're not coming in as fast as the old-timers are dying off...those old wizards the smug techie dwerps, like the ones who can't even change their own lightbulbs, sneer and laugh at.

Since 2011, I personally know of only three capable young guys who have come into the biz, and one has already left it because it's too icky. Another one has what it takes, and will probably be in his own shop in a couple more years.

You can still make $100,000-plus annually just working in the right shop, not owning it, if you have the skills and are willing to hump it, but everybody seems to want to be 3rd rate web developers, barely literate IT "consultants", or emoji designers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

10 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

There are a few new guys coming in who have the desire, the work ethic, the mechanical aptitude, and the intelligence required, but they're not coming in as fast as the old-timers that the smug techie dwerps...like the ones who can't even change their own lightbulbs...sneer and laugh at are dying off.

Since 2011, I personally know of only three capable young guys who have come into the biz, and one has already left it because it's too icky. Another one has what it takes, and will probably be in his own shop in a couple more years.

You can still make $100,000-plus annually just working in the right shop, not owning it, if you have the skills and are willing to hump it, but everybody seems to want to be 3rd rate web developers, barely literate IT "consultants", or emoji designers.

LOL... one left because “it’s too icky” Must’ve been a snowflake who don’t like to get his hands dirty. The project looks great. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty but I sure as heck not experienced enough to help. I’m not afraid to learn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I have always liked 66 Chevelles and that looks like it will be a sweet ride when done. That has got to be a big buck build with all of that custom fab work and specialty electronic work.

Do you have someone helping you or are you a one man operation? How long does something like that take? On TV they make it seem like it's just plug and play, run a wire and turn the key.

This one will probably come in at around $300k.

I work alone, as an independent contractor inside a long-established shop. Another old hot-rodder friend punched the louvers for me, but everything else that makes a shell into a functional vehicle (other than stitching the interior panels and paint) is and will be mine.

I didn't build the engine, and I've already credited those who did.

The chassis was initially a high-dollar custom unit built by somebody who was apparently incapable of running a tape-measure or a level, and it's been a huge part of why the build has been going since 2012: correcting inaccuracies and devising workarounds while trying to avoid bankrupting the client with re-dos necessitated by the stupidly built chassis.

The cost would be substantially lower if we'd started with an Art Morrison chassis, which is a beautiful piece of work. Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in the chassis-builder selection, as I wasn't brought in until the magnitude of the problems directly attributable to the chimp-built chassis became apparent.

The build has also been subject to the seemingly inevitable mission-creep, with layers of unnecessary complication piled on in the name of making the car "modern".

But I'm not complaining. I love the work.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Confused 1

Wow Bill, sounds like the car owner was either duped by a previous builder, has more money than brains or is clearly undecided about what he is trying to build. Just from what I have seen on TV, if someone was trying to go "modern" on a build you would think they would have had a better vision than what they have, especially for $300,000. I would have thought for that kind of money it would get a LS engine, Art Morrison chassis (like you said) and a full custom interior. I know you are just the guy tasked with making it all work together but what you have shown seems more like something someone is trying to do using scrapyard parts and adapting them to a car for which they weren't designed for.

I don't envy you, making stuff work and having to modify it must be hard when it's not your preferred method. Hope you are able to complete it as I know you have said you want to retire and it looks like a lot of work is to be done.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

...what you have shown seems more like something someone is trying to do using scrapyard parts and adapting them to a car for which they weren't designed for.

I don't know where you're getting the "scrapyard parts" idea.

The numbered, signed "GrumpyJenkins" / Smeding engine alone (including accessories and serpentine drives, etc.) was close to $25k   https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/sucp-0812-572-big-block-chevy-crate-engine/   as was the bare chassis. The gearbox is a pro-built new 4L80E with its own stand-alone programmable controller, brakes are Wilwood all around, rear end is a Strange Ford 9" in a fabricated housing, rear suspension is newly-fabbed 4-link, front suspension is tubular fabbed upper and lower control arms and coilovers, all plumbing is aircraft-spec AN, power steering / brake booster is an engine-driven custom HydroBoost setup, core support and radiator are custom aluminum fabrications, fuel tank is custom-fabbed stainless, dash is mostly custom with a hidden drop-down door that exposes the trans and EFI programming modules, AC is top-line Vintage Air, with custom controls to maintain a factory GM look, but the HVAC box was turned backwards and relocated over the custom trans tunnel to make room for all the electronics forward of the passenger's feet...and to hide it...console structure is custom fabbed to house more electronics and a double-DIN nav/ entertainment head unit, etc.

Only "scrapyard" stuff in the thing are seats and some miscellaneous console parts, which is all leather from a 2016 Caddy ELR...because the owner likes the looks of that particular interior. All the leather is perfect, seats are power, and full custom door panels will be built to match.

EDIT: Of course the body shell was "scrapyard", but it was reasonably solid, never hit hard, and now has all new floors...plus its original genuine SS 396 vin. The owner had a blue SS 396 when he was young, and this build is his tribute to the memory.

You're right about none of the bought-in stuff being specifically intended to work together...but it never is.

EDIT:  I'm at most 60 days away from engine start, which won't happen until all the sub-systems are 100% and tested, and the custom dash bodywork is finished, painted, and back in the car. The photos I posted here are from quite a while back.

...and I really need to get off the web and get back to work.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1