Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Another FedEx rant!  I’m waiting and watching for two pallets of computer monitors. Tracking said delivery by end of day yesterday. And what worried me was “no signature required” which has enabled them to just dump deliveries on our outdoor loading dock… yea, stuff has sat out there all weekend.

So I sat here until 6pm yesterday.. nothing. I half expected to find it outside this morning.. nope. I check tracking and now it just says “pending.. no scheduled delivery date available at this time”.  

Fortunately I don’t need the monitors for a few weeks. And garbage like this is why I told everyone to order everything way ahead!

Thanks for the explanation. My reference to "scrapyard" was meant as you made it sound like the chassis was a conglomeration of parts as was the interior. Watching TV shows I know they sometimes adapt stuff from other cars but it sounded like this project the owner was just trying to cut corners and use stuff that looks cool, but maybe not so much without some modifications.  I am sure it will be stunning when done, hard to see the completed car when it's in pieces.

Now get back to work! I don't think the car owner is paying you to chit chat on the internet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

...My reference to "scrapyard" was meant as you made it sound like the chassis was a conglomeration of parts as was the interior...

The problem with the chassis, a full-custom piece from the ground up, is simply that the builder was measuring-challenged. The thing looked good in the online photos, all powder-coated and pretty, but when the shop started trying to mount the body, it didn't fit, period.

Though the chassis was sold as being ready to take a stock body, core-support, and anything else OEM-or-aftermarket-Chevelle a builder might desire, it was an outright lie, pure and simple. One frame rail in the rear was 2" too low, and splayed out 2" at the end.

None of the body mount holes lined up. The engine was so high in the frame, you couldn't close the hood with a carb and air filter...even though those same parts work in a stock '66 SS 396 Chevelle just fine. That's when they brought me in.

The engine was also so far forward, no radiator and fans made for any Chevelle would fit.

The front frame rails were too narrow, which I assume is why Mr. Chassis Bozo set the engine so high...for header clearance. EDIT: Chassis Chimp built headers and a full exhaust system too, all of which I've had to rebuild pretty much entirely, as nothing fit for a litany of fascinating reasons I'll not belabor here.

The ends of the front rails were also 2" too low. I'm still trying to understand the justification for that. And one of them was swung 1.5" to one side.

The steering rack was mounted so bump-steer would have been terrifying, on wallered-out holes that would have let it move around.

And on. And on. And on. Now all fixed, or compensated for at no small expense.

And no, the owner doesn't pay me for ricking around on the web.

I run stopwatch time for everything I do on the car, nothing else, no exceptions.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Haha 1

Today was payday which is fine..but after two 1/2 months, my employer still hasn't got the tax withholding correct.  I've been at this job since Feb '21, but the local, Ohio-based company I joined in 2021 got acquired by a larger company based in Texas in April.  They don't seem to get that Ohio has something called 'RITA' taxes for municipalities that don't have their own taxes.  The Texas-based parent company is doing the Federal and State withholding, but not the RITA withholding...myself and others have complained to HR who blames their 3rd party payroll company.   Arrggghhh...it will be a pain next year at tax time...  

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sure. There are hundreds. Here's a very few of the '66 Chevelle. The car as it came to me, empty shell on a "custom" chassis, with the engine sitting on mounts in the wrong position, firewall painted...which has caused a buncha workarounds.

DSCN4767.JPG

572 cu. in. Jenkins/Smeding big-block short-deck Chevy, 750 flywheel HP, dyno'd on the carb and pump gas; who knows with the FAST EFI setup, but about the same.

DSCN4765.JPG

Same engine, converting to FAST EFI, custom snorkel and filter-can masters for composite molds shown in progress. Finished parts will be aircraft epoxy / fiberglass. Filter element is K&N for a Dodge Demon, airflow in snorkel was CAD / CFD modeled...by me...prior to building it.

DSCN6619.JPG

Custom louvered inner fenders, LH side shown with blister being fabbed to clear the airbox.

DSCN6384.JPG

Electrics in progress, early in the game. None of it's a "kit", or Painless etc. Multiple ECUs, CAN bus where appropriate, stand-alone otherwise, and critical-system redundancy w/ manual overrides.

DSCN5711.JPG

2016 Caddy ELR interior going in

DSCN6055.JPG

Endless punchlists, below. Shot was taken during the bumper straightening / fitting process, prior to sending them to chrome.

My part of the job takes the car to running  / driving with all systems 100% functional, and road-tested. Then I hand it off to the paint guys, some of the best in the biz around here. They blow it apart, do their thing, and build it back up...while I finish moving to Az.

EDIT: Now let's have some clowns say it's not me who's doing the work (which I've heard more times than I can remember), or criticize and run their mouths about things they have absolutely no knowledge of, or rebleat the gibberish about my being uncomfortable with "technology" or something equally idiotic about me living in the past and not "keeping up with the times". 

C'mon bozos. Step right on up.

With all due respect, this looks like something you would see in A Jr. High-level industrial arts class , incomplete wiring job, some drywall-taped, vice-gripped and crudely fabricated underhood mods,  I am sure it will look great when its completed!

Can you explain what a "fan Brain" is? Ive never heard of that, something new in car industry?

Edited by Burntspy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Burntspy said:

With all due respect, this looks like something you would see in A Jr. High-level industrial arts class , incomplete wiring job, some drywall-taped, vice-gripped and crudely fabricated underhood mods,  I am sure it will look great when its completed!

Can you explain what a "fan Brain" is? Ive never heard of that, something new in car industry?

You are obviously a top-line expert on everything concerning custom fabrication and wiring.

So expert, in fact, that you can apparently produce instant show-quality work, with no intermediate steps.

I stated earlier that these photos were from early in the processes shown, but in your headlong rush to prove something, you must have overlooked that.

Still, my hat is off to what must surely be your vastly superior knowledge and ability.

A "fan brain", since you ask, is a short descriptor (to fit on the piece of tape) for the microprocessor that runs the cooling fans, based on several inputs...but one would surmise that someone with your undoubtable credentials might have been able to logic that out for himself.

One would also expect such an expert to recognize a welding-blanket when he sees it, and not mistake it for something "drywall-taped".

Indeed, one would further expect someone with your apparent superiority to be aware that "vice" and "vise" are different words entirely, with VISE being the name of the tool. It is a reasonable supposition that someone well-versed in technical education, as evidenced by your reference to "A Jr. High-level industrial arts class", would know that.

PS: Love you too, Mr. Hall.   :wub:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Haha 3

EDIT: Now let's have some clowns say it's not me who's doing the work (which I've heard more times than I can remember), or criticize and run their mouths about things they have absolutely no knowledge of, or rebleat the gibberish about my being uncomfortable with "technology" or something equally idiotic about me living in the past and not "keeping up with the times". 

C'mon bozos. Step right on up.

Plese explain Billiiam Corning? 

• Confused 1

I know I'm just an eccentric, p---ing in the wind, but ; why don't you guys give up TV?  I did, when I was about fifty, and have had almost thirty years of relative peace and calm, and haven't missed enough of life to concern me.  It's mostly trash anyway, including the so-called news.  No cable, no dish, nothing by my DVD player.  Just sayin'...  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, W Humble said:

I know I'm just an eccentric, p---ing in the wind, but ; why don't you guys give up TV?  I did...

Me too, long ago...though I have several news streams over the web that I listen to as time or my attitude du jour (tolerance for stupidity) allows.

Everything else I want to see I get 100% on-demand.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, Burntspy said:

And this is your first post? Nice introduction. You came to make friends I see.

21 minutes ago, W Humble said:

I know I'm just an eccentric, p---ing in the wind, but ; why don't you guys give up TV?  I did, when I was about fifty, and have had almost thirty years of relative peace and calm, and haven't missed enough of life to concern me.  It's mostly trash anyway, including the so-called news.  No cable, no dish, nothing by my DVD player.  Just sayin'...  

2008 when the economy spazed and the election turned me off, I took my TV out for target practice.  I recently stayed at a hotel, had something like 100 channels to pick from, and found NOTHING to watch other than Star Wars rerun.  Wasn't into going to movies until I had a girlfriend, so saw some comic-come-to-life films, but almost nothing I would have chosen to go to on my own.  Otherwise, can chose to watch what and when online, it's nice, but doesn't happen often because I'm more into wasting time on forums and FB, gotta be interactive instead of couch potato activity.  What irks me about TV is all the stupid ads, some channels more time than what the freaking show is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd bet a dollar he's a troll with a fake name hiding behind a VPN.   B)

I didn't post that to defend you in particular Bill. It irks me that someone would join just to "take a shot" at what another member posted. Whether they like or dislike you, or me for that matter, makes no difference. There are members here who I don't care for. I put them on my ignore list and now I don't see anything they post. Seems pretty easy to me.

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

I love a good debate, but not a slanging-contest.  Maybe this wasn't my forum?   As B. Zimmerman once said, "I get all the news I need on the weather report."  Or 'The Week' cartoons post?  Ole' Wick  Now, back to modelling!

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd bet a dollar he's a troll with a fake name hiding behind a VPN.   B)

Bingo! 

Note the "Full Name":  "Michael Weston"

Note the Screen Name:  Burntspy

The lead character of the TV series "Burn Notice" [about a spy who had been 'burned'] was Michael Westen.

Hmmm. 

• Like 1

Burner account or not, least he has his "full name" listed like the rules state, I don't see your full name listed like the rules state,  very much pot calling the kettle black, I know Danno is not your legal name😀

Edited by martinfan5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's pretty funny right there. The rules also state your REAL name has to be attached to your account...and they used to forbid VPNs to discourage trolling and spamming. Maybe still do...but I'm not gonna run to mommy about it.

Yes, thank you, I forget the "real" part of the rule,   I think most forums have a no VPN rule in place.