Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

42 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

Oh my... I’ve never heard of a dealership not having a courtesy service.

I wonder if this is COVID-related, unless it was also true before COVID. I needed to be shuttled in June 2020 and the dealership had paused their service for safety. They gave me a new loaner car to drive instead. Literally new, I had to wait 40 minutes for them to get the paperwork in order and get temporary tags on it so it could be driven. June 2021, the "other" dealer paid to Uber me to an Enterprise because they were out of cars and both Enterprise locations in the area were to understaffed to pick me up. When they got a loaner back the next day, they called me and insisted that I return the car I was paying for and get their loaner instead. I had it for three days so they could verify their (warranty) repair before releasing it back to me. And I didn't even buy the car at this second dealer.

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I wonder if this is COVID-related, unless it was also true before COVID. I needed to be shuttled in June 2020 and the dealership had paused their service for safety. They gave me a new loaner car to drive instead. Literally new, I had to wait 40 minutes for them to get the paperwork in order and get temporary tags on it so it could be driven. June 2021, the "other" dealer paid to Uber me to an Enterprise because they were out of cars and both Enterprise locations in the area were to understaffed to pick me up. When they got a loaner back the next day, they called me and insisted that I return the car I was paying for and get their loaner instead. I had it for three days so they could verify their (warranty) repair before releasing it back to me. And I didn't even buy the car at this second dealer.

Unfortunately the dealership I was dealing with has been historically garbage. The only reason I bought from them was because there was no other trucks available and the one they had was better than I wanted for the same price. 

I'm just never going back. I learned my lesson once and for all

22 hours ago, MrMiles said:

brought my brand new 2022 ford ranger in for the windshield recall. they did the recall and i picked it up after hours.

however, i found there was some kind of clear grease all over the place. on the door panel, on the windshield, on the mirror, dashboard, center console, steering wheel, etc. additionally, there was some dirty grease on the handle used to pull yourself into the truck. not only that, there is a spot they obviously used too much glue because you can see it from the inside of the truck.

i cleaned all the grease out of the truck and its fine now, but i called the dealership to ask about the too much glue and told them i wanted them to use someone else because they made a mess of my new truck and they didnt seem to care even a little. i called a different dealership, and they said i need to use the same dealership. so when i spoke to the original dealership and told them that i wanted to make sure they used someone else, they told me ok, he is on vacation this week. bring it in this week. 

i am not going to use this dealership again after they fix the glue issue. 

Is this just for the 22 Rangers? I have a 2019 and haven't heard anything about it.

I have 2 other issues. They are minor but I'm hoping the truck doesn't turn out to have little issues. 

First the inside door handle used to pull the door closed is split on molding seam. I have 1300 miles so it's not like it's getting a workout

The second has been there since I bought the car. The interior cover on the A pillar is not sitting flush like it does on the passenger side. 

Minor issues but it's bothering me. 

I also hate how if you remove the back seats, they are silly difficult to get back in. They have to be lined up perfect for it to fit. If I had a place to store the I would just take them out completely. Nobody sits in the back. I have extended cab so only a toddler could fit anyway 

I love the truck but the issues with the dealers are bumming me out

Edited by MrMiles

19 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I just happened to glance at my cart that holds my spray paint and noticed this clear gluey goo that looks like it's coming from the bottom seam of the can of an unused can of Model Master GTS Blue Pearl Lacquer paint. Grr. It's the only can I had and planned to use it only GTX kit. What makes that happen? I had another Model Master can do the same thing?

MML-28129-2.jpg

Unfortunate problem that seems too common for this brand. The problem has to do with the outer can holding the propellant but not the paint. Normally you can still use this to paint a model, but it may not have the same pressure. Suggest letting the can sit in some warm water before using, which you may be doing anyway.  This will help expand the propellant that is left in the can. 

20 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I just happened to glance at my cart that holds my spray paint and noticed this clear gluey goo that looks like it's coming from the bottom seam of the can of an unused can of Model Master GTS Blue Pearl Lacquer paint. Grr. It's the only can I had and planned to use it only GTX kit. What makes that happen? I had another Model Master can do the same thing?

Contrary to at least one other response, it is NOT the propellant leaking. 

It is the clear carrier the pigment is suspended in, that makes it into "paint".

The lower, rolled, sealed can edge on this generation of Testors rattlecans has a tendency to leak over time.

Pigment mixed with carrier and propellant ("paint") are not in separate parts of the can. Propellant is a gas on top of the paint (though some is also dissolved in the liquid), so when the lower seam leaks, it's not primarily the propellant that escapes.

spray-paint-cross-section-400.jpg.d25cd5646b2616cc37ae7c88f8753c87.jpg

The clear carrier you see oozing out is essentially clear lacquer or enamel, depending on the paint formulation.

Besides being the medium that the pigment is suspended in to make "paint", it is also responsible for the "drying" characteristics of the paint, so using product that's lost some of its carrier CAN be a risky roll-of-the-dice.

TEST the product on something unimportant BEFORE you commit to shooting a model with it.

I speak from experience, and have had paint from these leaky cans work fine, and some that never dried and had to be stripped.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

We’re Havin a heat wave,a tropical heatwave.☀️🎼🎼…here on LI….I know it’s July,but i could do without the upper 90s we’ve been having.And we still have all of August to get through.🥵🥵Oh i can’t wait for the Fall.🎃🎃🤪.Thank God for AC.

Todays irk, and one that's been on my mind for many years, is the draining of Lake Mead. Created by the building of Hoover Dam back in the 1930s, and having last recorded "full" in 1983, two generations of incompetent water management practices in the region have reduced it to the lowest level in history, and there's a real possibility the dam may not be able to continue to generate hydroelectric power shortly.

Prolonged drought be dammed...it's the responsibility of "leadership" to deal with reality, rather than sit on their hands, doing nothing but bemoan "climate change" while they continue to squander the single most critical resource necessary to human survival.

For some perspective, consider that Israel is a desert country, but due to forward-thinking investment in and development of waste-water recycling and water infrastructure, including desalination plants that make sea water usable for farming and consumption, Israel now has a water SURPLUS.

The same kind of intelligent vision that did that, and that built Hoover Dam in the first place, would have realized the hugely expanding population in the American Southwest, as well as declining snowpack in the watersheds that feed the Colorado River (the source of Lake Mead's water) were a recipe for disaster, and started building desalination plants on California's coast decades ago for drinking and agriculture. Mead's water could have been conserved as an emergency reservoir, and to guarantee a reliable source of electricity generation, increasingly important every day with the idiotic push to electrify the automobile fleet over the next few years.

But no. All we got was dithering and incessant bla-bla-bla, while Mead's water flowed down the drain.

If Israel can accomplish this, what's wrong with America, the country that once led the world in engineering ?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

I have been watching Lake Mead videos on youtube for a couple months now, really amazing what is happening there. One sunken boats are now on hills that were also under water, 40 feet of it or more. Yet, most here in Arizona don't know or have never even heard of Lake Mead, or even care. They turn on the faucet, water comes out like it always has, and they shrug their shoulders. And not just here, I'm sure.

Rob, that is the $64,000.00 question.

My Guess, with a different kind of Leadership the answer would have been "Yes".

Given who is in charge today, the answer will be "No".

So, prepare for the 'water wars', leading to the population shrinking in the next few decades.

23 minutes ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Yet, most here in Arizona don't know or have never even heard of Lake Mead, or even care.

I know where it is! When I was young on vacation with my family I still remember it was HOT. In fact, that's the hottest place I have ever been to. The thermometer was pegged at 120 but it was in the sun but still always remember that place.

Every time I go to the grocery store I check out the magazine rack for car mags but I only find one and it is usually the "hot rod culture" type magazine that's as much about tattoos and girls as it is about cars. Yet there are at least a half dozen different gun mags on the rack. So sad. Same goes for guitar mags- not one to be found.

Edited by oldscool

On 7/20/2022 at 8:39 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

the draining of Lake Mead

Some old mafiosos are probably upset about it too. I bet this scenario happened a few times when they were dipping their hands in the cookie jar known as Vegas: “Toss the guy in Mead with some choice footwear. Nobody’s gonna find him down there.”

On 7/20/2022 at 8:39 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

If Israel can accomplish this, what's wrong with America, the country that once led the world in engineering ?

The elephant in the room here is that one sends the other one billions of tax dollars in the form of military aid, this makes it easy to divert funds that would’ve been used for military expenditures and instead invest in infrastructure. That’s as far as I’ll dwell into that topic here though, as to respect forum guidelines.

6 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Some old mafiosos are probably upset about it too. I bet this scenario happened a few times when they were dipping their hands in the cookie jar known as Vegas: “Toss the guy in Mead with some choice footwear. Nobody’s gonna find him down there.”

They've already pulled a few bodies dating to the darker days of Vegas out of the mud on the receding shoreline, and expect to recover more.

The elephant in the room here is that one sends the other one billions of tax dollars in the form of military aid, this makes it easy to divert funds that would’ve been used for military expenditures and instead invest in infrastructure. That’s as far as I’ll dwell into that topic here though, as to respect forum guidelines.       Money isn't really the issue for the states most dependent on Lake Mead. California, for example, has the fifth largest GDP in the world, larger by far than most countries. The issue is what money gets spent on.    EDIT: But yes, this is running dangerously close to politics. Suffice it to say that a project on the scale of Hoover Dam, or desalination plants that could solve the problem permanently, probably couldn't be built today anyway due to the proliferation of professional ditherers, NIMBYs, and all manner of obstructionist morons whose life's mission seems to be to make everything rational and worthwhile also cost-prohibitive, or otherwise impossible for any number of idiotic reasons.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

FLIES!  I’ve been parking my truck for free at a business that I was a partner in. It is right next to a rail yard where they clean out rotten grain and other stuff from boxcars. There are zillions of flies….and they really like white vehicles. I moved my fifth wheel trailer to a storeage yard because of them. I may have to move the truck too.🤨

6901E4A5-FADB-471E-8BE3-618DF22784E3.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You need some trained spiders.   

I like spiders! 🙂 I have a couple of big ones on my fence at home that I watch from time to time. Maybe I’ll catch them and release them over there. They’ll never put a dent in the fly population, but they’ll have a good life!

• Haha 1