Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 8/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, espo said:

I was doing some paint detailing on the trunk trim on a build I'm working on. I was sure the lid was screwed back on tight on the Tamiya Panel Line bottle. I went to put the bottle away and it slipped out of my hand and the top wasn't on as I thought. Spilled half a bottle of the panel line paint on my work surface, part of the chassis I was working on, the rear leaf springs and shocks, the rear slicks, and a few other small parts laying on the surface. I use a plastic kitchen style cutting board for a work surface, so it caught most of the runoff as it has a little trough running around the outer edge. The obscenities ensued; my wife called down to see if she needed to call an ambulance since she was sure I had somehow injured myself. I assured I would live but that I would be unpleasant to be around till I got everything cleaned up.   

I spilled Loctite all over my work table once and it took a while to clean that up..

The ideology that makes mediocrity a virtue, that inferiority, by some strange magic, becomes a sort of superiority.

(paraphrased from H.L. Mencken...and just so we're clear, I don't agree with everything he believed.)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, looks like I need to learn how to repair the HVAC in my 99 Tahoe. 

The front vents get heat, but rear vents will only blow cold. Not great in winter. Rear heater core is toast.

Front vent selector does not work. Windshield vents only, no dash or floor. 

AC does not hold a charge, yet the system has been tested and there are no leaks.

Rear AC lines had been removed. Rear condenser is toast.

Got a quote today to repair everything and get the entire heat &AC system back to brand new factory condition.

$4300 CDN. Call it $3300 US.

Time to figure out how much of this I can do myself.

Good excuse to buy some more tools. 

Hmm...maybe this is more of a positive than an irk!

Going way down the rabbit hole....

In Roger Zelazny's "Nine Princes in Amber" (the first book in the "Chronicles of Amber") there is a scene where the protagonist stops:

We drove over to Kenni Roi's and got us a bucket full of Kentucki Fried Lizzard Partes and another bucket of weak, salty tasting beer.

Just how my brain works that I remembered this quote from a book I read once, 40 years ago.

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The ideology that makes mediocrity a virtue, that inferiority, by some strange magic, becomes a sort of superiority.

(paraphrased from H.L. Mencken...and just so we're clear, I don't agree with everything he believed.)

Mencken was obviously aware of the philosopher who originally came up with this way of thinking.  

Meheee good enough" LE Mediocrates - )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2022 at 6:44 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Well, looks like I need to learn how to repair the HVAC in my 99 Tahoe. 

The front vents get heat, but rear vents will only blow cold. Not great in winter. Rear heater core is toast.

Front vent selector does not work. Windshield vents only, no dash or floor. 

AC does not hold a charge, yet the system has been tested and there are no leaks.

Rear AC lines had been removed. Rear condenser is toast.

Got a quote today to repair everything and get the entire heat &AC system back to brand new factory condition.

$4300 CDN. Call it $3300 US.

Time to figure out how much of this I can do myself.

Good excuse to buy some more tools. 

Hmm...maybe this is more of a positive than an irk!

I have a similar problem with my 03 suburban, my research turned up a problem with the vent/duct motors of which there are more than expected (and there is a procedure for getting all of them to re-calibrate).  That is a bit far back on my "to do" list even though it's really nice to have AC in Arizona.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blunc said:

I have a similar problem with my 03 suburban, my research turned up a problem with the vent/duct motors of which there are more than expected (and there is a procedure for getting all of them to re-calibrate).  That is a bit far back on my "to do" list even though it's really nice to have AC in Arizona.

The shop gave me an itemized quote, breaking down pricing for everything. And included all part numbers.

I did the math. Parts alone were about $1700 CDN. 

So I took a leap and ordered all the parts from RockAuto. Including shipping, came to $580 CDN.

I know what I'm doing next weekend!

• Like 1

Wife flying this morning to Virginia to our daughters today. Took her to Sky Harbor air port. OMG !  The people !  What the heck were we thinking when she decided to go on a holiday weekend ? Both her flights were thankfully on time. She wasn't happy about the 3 hour lay over but knew about that in advance.

40 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Wife flying this morning to Virginia to our daughters today. Took her to Sky Harbor air port. OMG !  The people !  What the heck were we thinking when she decided to go on a holiday weekend ? 

I really wonder if American air travel will ever return to pre-bat-flu efficiency. It's been pretty annoying since 9-11 anyway, another case of a small group of fools ruining things for as many people as they possibly can.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not looking forward to next 5 days. Forecast is two 113 F, 2 days 11, 105 Thursday. Trying to stay cool is going to be a challenge. Going to be 103 at noon tomorrow.

Bob, we have had a miserable hot summer but not as hot a 1980 when it was 100 at 10.00 am thru the summer….