Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I have the nozzle soaking now. I hope it works as that can of paint cost me $25 from a special order at the auto store.

if the nozzle doesn't clean have a look through your other aerosol cans, there should be some that will fit and some are better than you get on the cans, i often swap my nozzles for those from window cleaners as they have a decent spray pattern

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I have the nozzle soaking now. I hope it works as that can of paint cost me $25 from a special order at the auto store.

Since you had to pay a premium for the paint maybe the supplier would give you a working spray nozzle. 

Just now, espo said:

Since you had to pay a premium for the paint maybe the supplier would give you a working spray nozzle. 

Hey David.

I doubt the auto store has them on hand as they order the paint from an outside source. But I'll figure something out. 

Just now, ewetwo said:

Hey David.

I doubt the auto store has them on hand as they order the paint from an outside source. But I'll figure something out. 

Might check with any large hardware type stores in your area, and maybe a hobby shop. Many places that sell a lot of spray paints often have spray nozzles for sale. Les's suggestion of trying a nozzle from a different spray bottle would be the first things to do, I also have had success doing that.  

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

The failure of a brand new can to spray is rarely a clogged nozzle.

It's more likely there's solids trapped in the dip-tube, after settling at the bottom of the can, from sitting on a shelf forever. That's why the mixing ball is often stuck.

Normal shaking usually fails to dislodge material clogging the tube, even after the ball rattles freely.

I've had some success, maybe 50% of the time, getting "new" but useless cans to spray by repeatedly striking the bottom of the can on a hard surface to try to dislodge the blockage, and shaking very vigorously...sometimes repeating the procedure multiple times over several days.

But don't strike it too hard. I've ruptured a can by getting too froggy with it.

Ever wondered what's in the inside of a spray paint can?... www ...

EDIT: Worst case, and I've done this too if it's an oddball color or the chances of getting another bad one are high, is to just decant it, and airbrush.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've grabbed a brand new nozzle from another can and soaked nozzles before only to realize it's a clogged tube into the can. Even dropped paint thinner into the tube but no luck. 

I recently used a brand new can of Boyd's paint that would spray and not spray, spray and not spray. Very frustrating and touch and go hoping the paint job would work out. I understand it was an old can but was hoping since it was brand new it wouldn't give me any trouble. Not so.

21 hours ago, espo said:

Might check with any large hardware type stores in your area, and maybe a hobby shop. Many places that sell a lot of spray paints often have spray nozzles for sale. Les's suggestion of trying a nozzle from a different spray bottle would be the first things to do, I also have had success doing that.  

I ordered some on Ebay. A variety pack. Hopefully one will work if that's the problem. The ball rattled with no hard hits. LOL

Edited by ewetwo
  • Like 1

I soaked the nozzle in Purple Power.  Took a tooth pick and cleaned the tube that goes in the can. Noticed some bubble coming out of the spray nozzle. Clicked the can on the floor. Shook and shook. Took my compressor and blew air through the bottom of the nozzle so the cleaner would spray out. Shook that can some more. Put the nozzle on. It sputtered and then started spraying. Whew!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I soaked the nozzle in Purple Power.  Took a tooth pick and cleaned the tube that goes in the can. Noticed some bubble coming out of the spray nozzle. Clicked the can on the floor. Shook and shook. Took my compressor and blew air through the bottom of the nozzle so the cleaner would spray out. Shook that can some more. Put the nozzle on. It sputtered and then started spraying. Whew!

I soaked mine in Lacquer thinner..  I am glad you have it spraying again!

11 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I hate wind so whenever I read about hurricanes in your area I feel for everyone. There seems to be way too many of them anymore.

Actual science is somewhat different from popular political- and media-driven perception.

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/historical-atlantic-hurricane-and-tropical-storm-records/

Quoting now: "based on careful examination of the Atlantic tropical storm database (HURDAT) and on estimates of how many storms were likely missed in the past, it is likely that the increase in Atlantic tropical storm and hurricane frequency in HURDAT since the late-1800s is primarily due to improved monitoring."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm going to be spending today trimming a couple of branches near the pool, removing potential projectiles from the yard, topping off the generator and bringing it to the garage along with a bunch of extension cords.  Try to figure out a way to secure the garbage can.  Marcia has flashlights and batteries ready to go.  This afternoon we'll be as ready as possible.  Hopefully the power won't go out for too long.

52 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I'm going to be spending today trimming a couple of branches near the pool, removing potential projectiles from the yard, topping off the generator...

Good luck with your storm prep.

I just had $8000 roof damage at the Az. place from 75MPH winds during a "monsoon" storm, so those of us not in hurricane country aren't immune.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO