Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Energy!  Their folks in the field are some of the hardest workers but it ends there.

I got an e-mail from them letting me know I can donate as little as $2/month to help them research a clean energy source.  Fund your research so you an gouge me?  And Unsubscribe!

But the one that lit my fuse was their inspection of the lines at the gas meter.  One day I have two ladies banging on the door like they were ready to yell 'search warrant' and storm the house.  They said they needed to see my gas meter.  Nope....no entry without an appointment or a warrant.  I was working from home and was not happy they beat on the door.  I've argued with Duke in the past and I told them there are multiple dogs in the house.  They told me to crate them.  No!  It's their house to roam.  They told me I can leave a door unlocked for their tech.  Sure....just gonna need you to sign a waiver accepting liability if someone breaks in via the unlocked door as my insurance won't pay if I didn't lock the door.

So I make an appointment to have the inspection a couple weeks out on a specific date and four hour window.  Day/time comes and goes......no tech!  He calls THREE HOURS later and admits he didn't see the requested time and wants to come.  NO!  I took the day off to accommodate them and they missed it.  It was close to the rant of the German's bombing Pearl Harbor from Animal House.  I told them I need compensation for burning a PTO day and they failed to show.  I've been ignored (go figure). Now they threaten to shut off the gas unless its inspected.

A mild earthquake in the area early this morning that was no big deal but what irked me was reading the local news report and it said it was 14 kilometers below the surface.

Kilometers?! We measure distance in miles here in the USA.

2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

A mild earthquake in the area early this morning that was no big deal but what irked me was reading the local news report and it said it was 14 kilometers below the surface.

science is metric

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I saw where the USGS rated it at a 4.4. That should get anyone's attention I would think.  

I’m sure a lot of you seen this but nothing more idiotic are dumb drivers stopping at either a flashing yellow (thinking it gonna turn red) or flashing red and waiting for it to turn green. Yes, flashing red means stop but to sit and wait for a green light on a single flashing red traffic signal? Hooo boy….. LOLOL 

• Like 1

ALL the magic adhesive tests I've been running the past several gays failed at the steel-to-adhesive interface. Makes me think I somehow contaminated the steel during prep, which is entirely possible, as I used a different method from my standard.

Back to tried-and-true...and run all the tests again.

29 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

I stopped to pick up dinner,i get into my car,and it was dead.All the lights worked,but it just clicked,and it was dead.It’s not the battery,cause i just put a new one maybe 2 months ago..Back about two months or so ago i was having problems starting the car,it would have a weak start,brought it to a shop near me,they run s bunch of tests,and we figured it was the damm battery.So i got a new battery,and it seemed that was the problem.Changed it,and it was fine.But tonight like i said it fu******, wouldn’t start.So it’s not the battery.We tried to jump it,but still dead..I left the car at the pizza place,and i’ll deal with getting AAA to come and tow it literally about a 1/4 mile to my friends shop.I hope no one steals or breaks into it.Arrrrggggg😖🤷‍♂️😤😤

is there something electrical draining the battery? even something little can kill a bettery pretty quickly. to find out if there is something drainng the battery you can pull one fuse each night then usse the wiring diagram to see whats on the fuse the night it happens to see the battery drain. It might take a few nights but its by far the quickest way to find a battery drain without special tools or putting it in a shop. just because the lights work, it doesn't mean the battery is good, lights take next to no power but cranking takes the full 12v

Edited by stitchdup

That there have been no new tool semi truck kits in a good while, now. I was thinking to myself that it would be nice to see some new trucks, but I guess there really isn't a market for any manufacturer to invest in it. Or, if there is, the licensing is too much. Pity. 

10 hours ago, stitchdup said:

is there something electrical draining the battery? even something little can kill a bettery pretty quickly. to find out if there is something drainng the battery you can pull one fuse each night then usse the wiring diagram to see whats on the fuse the night it happens to see the battery drain. It might take a few nights but its by far the quickest way to find a battery drain without special tools or putting it in a shop. just because the lights work, it doesn't mean the battery is good, lights take next to no power but cranking takes the full 12v

Thanks for the advice.I’ll see what happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Thanks for the advice.I’ll see what happens.

So i got it towed to my friends shop.The battery was checked and it’s fully charged,so at least i know nothing is draining it.My buddy says he 99% sure it is a bad starter.🤞🏼Just hoping it’s just a starter.

I'd say the starter was probably a good thing to go wrong. As I read your problem the thought of electronics came to mind and that's always a bad thing.

Funny, I remember the old days when a starter would give you problems for awhile but you'd keep going until it just gave out.

1) While out of the country, someone broke into our trailer in a locked storeage compound and trashed it (and others).🤬 Not one corner or cabinet wasn’t touched…..just deliberate destruction. 

2) The insurance company had unilaterally raised our deductible from $500 to $750 after our mouse claim. 😕

3) The woman at the insurance company that my wife spoke to (who didn’t speak English well) asked her if we had recently visited a farm ???🤨

940D3211-1A9A-4361-913C-BC79ABAA307F.jpeg

1DDE9C42-75DD-4E4E-9D2E-996D126FB005.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

1) While out of the country, someone broke into our trailer in a locked storeage compound and trashed it (and others).🤬 Not one corner or cabinet wasn’t touched…..just deliberate destruction...

That bites. I hate vandals even more than thieves.

The wood chipper is too good for someone who destroys somebody else's property just out of malicious hate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

1) While out of the country, someone broke into our trailer in a locked storeage compound and trashed it (and others).🤬 Not one corner or cabinet wasn’t touched…..just deliberate destruction. 

2) The insurance company had unilaterally raised our deductible from $500 to $750 after our mouse claim. 😕

3) The woman at the insurance company that my wife spoke to (who didn’t speak English well) asked her if we had recently visited a farm ???

I feel for you Greg, someone trashed my mobile home while they robbed it..

Wonder if the storage facility has any surveillance videos? Since nothing of value seems to have been stolen, besides your seance of security, this may have been the work of young vandals that get some sort of sic joy out of destroying other people's property. May the same or worse happen to them at some future date when they no longer live in their parents' basement.