Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Good results can be as rewarding as a successful paint job on a model….I guess?

Yep! Especially working in the restoration side of things, which I enjoyed much better than new construction...... There's great satisfaction in making the old new again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zen said:

The jackhole today who almost took off the front right of my Ranger because he "needed" to be in my lane.

That's one of the times you wish you had a $50 car and made sure they took off your fender. 

RE arctic weather: Here in Northeast US the weather "forecasters" have been peeing their pants all week about the short frigid cold spell we will experience Fri/Sat. They are besides themselves, and keep constantly providing all the "helpful hints" about what to do and how to behave in such frigid temperatures.  I'm so sick of hearing this over and over again all week.  They also keep comparing it to previous occurrences of cold temperature, and keep telling us how many times over the years this happens before. Give it a rest!

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, peteski said:

RE arctic weather: Here in Northeast US the weather "forecasters" have been peeing their pants all week about the short frigid cold spell we will experience Fri/Sat. They are besides themselves, and keep constantly providing all the "helpful hints" about what to do and how to behave in such frigid temperatures.  I'm so sick of hearing this over and over again all week.  They also keep comparing it to previous occurrences of cold temperature, and keep telling us how many times over the years this happens before. Give it a rest!

When watching the national news, it always cracks me up about how times they will mention "the northeast" and how bad it may get there.

17 hours ago, peteski said:

It is all about the ratings.  The more they can scare you and keep you glued to the TV the higher their ratings.  The higher their ratings the more money they can get from the advertisers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

It is all about the ratings.  The more they can scare you and keep you glued to the TV the higher their ratings.  The higher their ratings the more money they can get from the advertisers.

Yes, that is the honest truth!  You hit the nail on the head!  Just like that '80s Don Henley song 'Dirty laundry". Still, it is annoying.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 6:03 PM, peteski said:

Oh that's one of my biggest post peeves. Local weather newscasters love to hype up the bad and send everybody in a panic. It's typical Northeast winter for Christ sake! I agree, they really need to take it down a few notches. It's not like it's some phenomena we've never seen or heard of before. 

My take is these youngster weather newscasters are clueless that we've dealt with all kinds of winter weather in the past. How is this any different? I can't count how many times they cry wolf over some impending winter storm when it came out as duds at the end of the day. I stopped listening to my local news weather newscasters a long time ago because they're clueless idiots.

Oh... Naming these winter storms like they do for hurricanes is utterly ridiculous. Polar vortex? Really? It's just an arctic blast. 

12 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Oh... Naming these winter storms like they do for hurricanes is utterly ridiculous. Polar vortex? Really? It's just an arctic blast. 

You know, I totally forgot about that.  I rolled my eyes when they first started doing this. But I don't recall them doing this for the last couple of winters. Maybe I just became deaf to it?  In the back of my mind I seem to recall that they started naming yet another weather event (on the Weather Channel maybe?), but I don't recall what that was.  Actually I have not watched the Weather Channel for years.

Speaking of silly stuff, how do you like "bombogenesis".  :wacko: Another silly term they love to pawn on the unsuspecting viewers.  I wish they would stop at nor'easters.  Please!

• Haha 1

I got furloughed yesterday. My Hours were cut 50%. I'm down to 2, 12 hours days a week. Normally I work 4 days a week. Going to be rough. Supposedly it is temporary, but I am skeptical. Oilfield Business here in Kern County is slowing dramatically.

My Hours are being cut because the rig counts are dropping very quickly. For My Company, No Rigs, means No Work!

Not sure If I should hold out to see what happens in March, or try to find another job, and just quit. California does allow you to apply for "Partial Un-Employment" I am starting that process now. 

I'll be 60, in May, and while illegal, "Age Discrimination" is very real. I'm just not sure what to do right now.

Edited by stavanzer

Work.... yea common theme, but check this out.  I'll admit that I'm a dinosaur, still draw plans with the ancient tools of pencil on velum.  I want to phase out and retire, but people keep coming to me.  Thanks to CV1984, the building departments established portals, so permit submittal is done electronically.  I get my drawings scanned, so far they accept this format (when they demand only AutoCad or whatever files, that will give me the best excuse to retire).  This is part of a Site Plan, the bureaucrat literally measured with their computer program, down to 1/4", lines that are representative of what needs to be done.  So I need to use "vintage" electric eraser to move that line 6 1/4" to be within the arbitrary line they mandate.  Lord forbid the field inspector sees a chunk of rock over that line, and fails the inspection!  And they wonder why people try to build something without getting permit.  And what the heck is "drainagle"? 🤨 /end rant/

Ausherman site.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I got furloughed yesterday. My Hours were cut 50%. I'm down to 2, 12 hours days a week. Normally I work 4 days a week. Going to be rough. Supposedly it is temporary, but I am skeptical. Oilfield Business here in Kern County is slowing dramatically.

My Hours are being cut because the rig counts are dropping very quickly. For My Company, No Rigs, means No Work!

Not sure If I should hold out to see what happens in March, or try to find another job, and just quit. California does allow you to apply for "Partial Un-Employment" I am starting that process now. 

I'll be 60, in May, and while illegal, "Age Discrimination" is very real. I'm just not sure what to do right now.

Alan, think about it but it never hurts to see what’s out there. I feel for you friend..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1