Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

People driving fast in school zones - especially those 20 year old think their car is fast.

As courier for BOCES, I can't count how many times I see folks think just because students are inside gives them the idea they can go 20 over the school zone speed limit.

I've even wave them to slow down but ignore it or give me the finger.

Found out this morning that the house I put an offer on sold to another buyer.  I didn't want to get in a bidding war.  I drove around toured 4 properties yesterday that fit the criteria of what I'm looking for in my next house, 3 of the 4 had issues, one fit the criteria the closest and I put a reasonable offer on it.  Oh well...got a few more lined up to look at next weekend.

It's nice and sunny today, working off and on my yard...starting spring cleanup.

Actually, it's something that has irked me for some time.

While I can understand a business wanting to keep costs under control, why do so many retailers here in NYC (and likely elsewhere) have only one living and breathing cashier? If I want to check out some time this month, I have to use a self-checkout terminal. I really don't mind checking myself out, but why do users not receive a small discount for doing the work that the store used to pay someone to do? With inflation at multi-decade highs, a small discount would be more than welcome, especially by someone like myself who is retired and on a fixed income.

• Like 2

Went to a toy show Saturday (unproductive) and then went to a local model swap meet to walk around....1.7 miles per my phone.  Came home, walked in the front door making ONE step up from the porch into the house and POP!  Left knee locked....the pop felt eerily like the pop the right knee made when I tore the meniscus over 30 years ago.  I couldn't without pain and I knew if I tried to step I would be up to my nose in floor.  Went to the family Dr this morning who believes I'm correct.  Orthopedic Dr on Monday to schedule an MRI.

Getting old sucks!

• Sad 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, HomerS said:

Went to a toy show Saturday (unproductive) and then went to a local model swap meet to walk around....1.7 miles per my phone.  Came home, walked in the front door making ONE step up from the porch into the house and POP!  Left knee locked....the pop felt eerily like the pop the right knee made when I tore the meniscus over 30 years ago.  I couldn't without pain and I knew if I tried to step I would be up to my nose in floor.  Went to the family Dr this morning who believes I'm correct.  Orthopedic Dr on Monday to schedule an MRI.

Getting old sucks!

You have to be brave to get old. Takes all night to do what you used to do all night. 

• Haha 1

Super glue that is anything but. Won’t hold the part in place, but it will: melt the black paint off the piece I’m trying to attach and smear said black paint all over the front of the orange engine. Had to leave the bench before things got really ugly…..

On 3/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, NYRich72 said:

Actually, it's something that has irked me for some time.

While I can understand a business wanting to keep costs under control, why do so many retailers here in NYC (and likely elsewhere) have only one living and breathing cashier? If I want to check out some time this month, I have to use a self-checkout terminal. I really don't mind checking myself out, but why do users not receive a small discount for doing the work that the store used to pay someone to do? With inflation at multi-decade highs, a small discount would be more than welcome, especially by someone like myself who is retired and on a fixed income.

I stopped into one of those chain drug stores to buy Motrin for my wife.

There is one cashier, a guy about our age. Of course there is a line.  There are two self service registers. One is marked out of order. There is a lady ahead of me at the cash register and is being taken care of.  Self service register starts beeping. Guy leaves the register to go fix it.  Self service lady finishes her purchase and he goes back to helping the lady ahead of me.  Self service lady tries to leave store and whatever she bought sounds off the theft alarm at the door.  Lone cashier takes off the handle that. He fiddles with what she bought, finally gives up and tells her to just leave as the alarm blares.

He gets back to the register. He finishes up with the lady in front of me. My turn.  So I thought.  Lady exclaims, "I forgot I had a coupon!" Cashier explains that he would have to void the sale and start over.  She goes for that. It takes time.  She leaves.  My turn.  Nope, an old lady is at the self service register and it's yelling  "An item you are buying requires age identification!"  Cashier goes running again.  Finally he checks me out. I shrug at the five people lined up behind me and leave, glad it's over.  I get to the car and my wife asks, "What took you so long?"  

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DHL. the most incompetent delivery company out there. They can collect parcels from my house but seemingly it doesn't exist for deliveries. I see their yellow vans every day and they have a local depot but if i paid for delivery i want it delivered. Do they expect me to carry 20 bottles of resin 2 miles? i paid for their service, not to do it myself. DHL is so awful they make hermes look good

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

DHL. the most incompetent delivery company out there. They can collect parcels from my house but seemingly it doesn't exist for deliveries. I see their yellow vans every day and they have a local depot but if i paid for delivery i want it delivered. Do they expect me to carry 20 bottles of resin 2 miles? i paid for their service, not to do it myself. DHL is so awful they make hermes look good

CanPar is crappy too! I have a new gazebo coming in 3 cartons. Their tracking app said they would be delivered Monday “by end of day”. Late Monday afternoon I finally got ahold of someone and they said that date was “just an estimate” and the delivery would be Tuesday. So Tuesday only two of three cartons show up. So I have to sit around again today waiting for a third day.😡 And it’s storming slightly here today, so I can see them possibly using it as an excuse to make me wait for a fourth day?

Edited by NOBLNG

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Reading the moronic drivel that shows up in comments under yootoob vids is like watching a slowmo train wreck.

"Dumber than a box of rocks".

You should try reading Reddit or one of the other social disaster platforms. If this is our future, I want no part of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I stopped into one of those chain drug stores to buy Motrin for my wife.

There is one cashier, a guy about our age. Of course there is a line.  There are two self service registers. One is marked out of order. There is a lady ahead of me at the cash register and is being taken care of.  Self service register starts beeping. Guy leaves the register to go fix it.  Self service lady finishes her purchase and he goes back to helping the lady ahead of me.  Self service lady tries to leave store and whatever she bought sounds off the theft alarm at the door.  Lone cashier takes off the handle that. He fiddles with what she bought, finally gives up and tells her to just leave as the alarm blares.

He gets back to the register. He finishes up with the lady in front of me. My turn.  So I thought.  Lady exclaims, "I forgot I had a coupon!" Cashier explains that he would have to void the sale and start over.  She goes for that. It takes time.  She leaves.  My turn.  Nope, an old lady is at the self service register and it's yelling  "An item you are buying requires age identification!"  Cashier goes running again.  Finally he checks me out. I shrug at the five people lined up behind me and leave, glad it's over.  I get to the car and my wife asks, "What took you so long?"  

I hate those self checkouts. Worse thing is when they are broken and the staffing level is set for all of them to work. Second they to often be fussy and need a clerks attention because of the issues like you described.  Just wait for more chaos when even  more jobs are converted to machines.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I hate those self checkouts. Worse thing is when they are broken and the staffing level is set for all of them to work. Second they to often be fussy and need a clerks attention because of the issues like you described.  Just wait for more chaos when even  more jobs are converted to machines.

I think the issues people are having with self-checkout kiosks are more about the particular system employed, and the competence of the particular store or business management.

My local Publix stores (five stores I routinely use, depending on what other errands I'm running) all have 4 of them, as well as typically 2-3 human checkers. They also have an attendant whose sole responsibility is to deal with the occasional...and rare...self-check glitch.

I've been using the self-checks there for more than a decade, because I can blow through and get out the door while the human checkers are dealing with coupons, folks who don't know their PINs, folks trying to buy booze with food stamps or pay with paper checks and no ID, etc.

I've also used self-check in Walmart stores, both here and in Az., and Kroger stores here and their affiliates in Az., and have had zero real complaints.

EDIT: As an aside, I've rarely had the pleasure of dealing with any business that's as consistently competent as Publix. They do, of course, have the odd employee who's apparently not focussed and fuds something up, but in general, their stores here have been doing a fine job since I moved to this part of town in 1999.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

On 4/4/2023 at 5:52 PM, Engine 51 said:

Super glue that is anything but. Won’t hold the part in place, but it will: melt the black paint off the piece I’m trying to attach and smear said black paint all over the front of the orange engine. Had to leave the bench before things got really ugly…..

Let me introduce you to Mr. Accelerator.

bsi--151.jpg

I would have quit modeling long time ago if not for this miracle liquid!  There are no alternatives.

And never ever spray it!  Get yourself some Micro-Brush applicators.

microbrush-comparison.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:32 AM, stitchdup said:

I think it's a universal thing.  Last summer I ordered a set of furniture for a casual conference room at work.  It comes unassembled (I expected that) via FedEx Ground.  A dozen large boxes get dumped outside my building.  A couple cart loads later, we have it all upstairs in the conference room, waiting for my furniture crew to be there, and have time to unpack and assemble it.   With a major project going on, that came out to be two weeks.  And as they got through the boxes, in the middle of it all they find a box NOT addressed to us.  It was a bedframe from Walmart.com supposed to go to a residential address!  We called FedEx Ground to come and get it, but it sat outside there for another week.  Finally upon receiving another FedEx Ground delivery, I shamed that delivery guy into taking it with him.  

So some poor guy ordered a bedframe.... he gets the notice  "Your package is coming today!" and may have sat and waited for it.  But it never came!  He checks and they tell him it was delivered!   Now three weeks later, it's going to finally show up.  We figure Walmart.com sent him a replacement and now he has two bedframes!

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Let me introduce you to Mr. Accelerator.

Got plenty of that on the bench, have had for years. This glue was highly recommended and was supposed to “grab” in about 15 seconds…not so. That said, yes, back to my old CA glue and the accelerator. That method at least won’t ruin my paint as I know what to expect with it. Thanks for jumping in tho.

34 minutes ago, Engine 51 said:

Got plenty of that on the bench, have had for years. This glue was highly recommended and was supposed to “grab” in about 15 seconds…not so. That said, yes, back to my old CA glue and the accelerator. That method at least won’t ruin my paint as I know what to expect with it. Thanks for jumping in tho.

Oh, ok.  None of the CA glues I have ever tried will set without the accelerator when gluing parts with a small footprint, especially to a painted surface.  As you said, CA starts dissolving the paint, and that makes it even harder to set up.

There is a magical cure, but you will need 3 hands.  JB Weld makes a UV cured glue.  it is basically a dual-cure CA glue. it can harden like standard CA glues, but it will also sent instantly, even in open air, under UV light.  I mentioned you need 3 hands because you have to hold the model, the part, and the UV light.  I'm sure you could improvise.  I was skeptical, but that stuff really works!

395971ea-6d23-48e2-ae73-6d9e86c1789b.2fbd88d8ffc51e0b892d2c63f715a18a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, peteski said:

Oh, ok.  None of the CA glues I have ever tried will set without the accelerator when gluing parts with a small footprint, especially to a painted surface.  As you said, CA starts dissolving the paint, and that makes it even harder to set up.

There is a magical cure, but you will need 3 hands.  JB Weld makes a UV cured glue.  it is basically a dual-cure CA glue. it can harden like standard CA glues, but it will also sent instantly, even in open air, under UV light.  I mentioned you need 3 hands because you have to hold the model, the part, and the UV light.  I'm sure you could improvise.  I was skeptical, but that stuff really works!

395971ea-6d23-48e2-ae73-6d9e86c1789b.2fbd88d8ffc51e0b892d2c63f715a18a.jpeg

Is that the same as Bondic, or is this something different?

5 minutes ago, Engine 51 said:

Is that the same as Bondic, or is this something different?

That's what I thought too.  Bondic is just some cheap UV cure resin.  It sucks as a glue.  That's why I was very skeptical but I gave it a try. The JB Weld stuff is a real dual cure Cyano-Acrylate (super glue). Just like I mentioned. 

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

That's what I thought too.  Bondic is just some cheap UV cure resin.  It sucks as a glue.  That's why I was very skeptical but I gave it a try. The JB Weld stuff is a real dual cure Cyano-Acrylate (super glue). Just like I mentioned. 

Ok, I’m game, I’ll get some and give it a go. Thanks for the tip. 

16 minutes ago, Engine 51 said:

Ok, I’m game, I’ll get some and give it a go. Thanks for the tip. 

You're welcome!  Make sure to try it out on some scrap pieces to get a hang of using it.  I'm still experimenting myself.  If applied sparingly, it might be good for gluing window glass too.